Official "Devil's Third or Devil's Turd?" (hype train vs. train wreck) Thread

Devil's Third or Devil's Turd? Hype train or train wreck?

• Hype Train.

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Train Wreck.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I care not a whit.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Royale with cheese.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Buy Splatoon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZyroXZ2

I'm honestly a bit concerned about this game...

It has potential, I can see it, but I do not see them bringing it out in a capable fashion. In other words, this game could end up a missed opportunity, but I'll wait and see when it comes out.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Devil's Turd" sounds like a really spicy chili hot dog challenge at a southern restaurant.

Or the name of some really hoppy craft beer.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Seeing this change in the thread title (YAY!) has reminded me of this scene from The Breakfast Club where that teacher was talking to that one kid and says, "That's what I thought. You're a gutless turd!"

Now if Devil's Third turns out to be not so good of a game, we know exactly what to say in the event it were to happen:

"That's what I thought. You're a Devil's Turd!"

looking forward to this game. Could use some polish, but it seems like a break from the norm. I love me some CoD, but this looks like a breath of fresh air.

what i really want is a new timepslitters! get on it nintendo!

Honestly the single player trailer did nothing for me but but but the multiplayer trailer is really what sold the game to me. It looks way too fun, innovative and basically I can't wait to jump in!

GaemzDood

Devil's Third is my most aniticipated Wii U release other than Bayo 2 and X.... Fuck is wrong with you people...?

We finally get a gritty, violent, badass exclusive action/shooting game from none other than the MAN! Itegaki himself, and Nintendo fans do nothing but complain...?

Here's my deal.... Nintendo fans don't deserve games like Devil's Third, Wonderful 101, X or Bayo 2, least of all deserve to have them exclusive.... Why you ask...?

Cause you're all are a bunch of ungrateful fucktards....

These games will not only sell worse being exclusive to only a Nintendo system, but they will never get the recognition they deserve from the Ninetndo fanbase outside of a few hardcore gamers like myself....

This is No More Heroes and Madworld all over again imo....

Yet another great, third party, fucking exclusive franchise that should be getting Nintendo fans excited, considering they keep saying they want Nintendo to get exclusives like this, being practically ignored unless payed attention to for all the wrong reasons....

What a mistake it will be to bring this game exclusivly to Wii U.... This is the game Itegaki has been secretly working on for many years, and it's finally got an exclusive home, and Nintendo fans couldn't care less....

What a fucking shame.... This game deserves better imo.... As do all of the other third party exclusive games I mentioned above....

This is probably the article I've been waiting to write....

Not just about Nintendo fans and their reactions to Devil's Third, but how Nintendo fans have spoken with their wallets when it comes to these thrid party exclusives....

Namely, Wonderful 101....

And the grim fate that awaits these awesome exclusives in Bayo 2, X and Devil's Third....
This thread should've ended after you fucking Either'd these dudes.

Aki

I really liked the trailer and think that the game look's pretty fucking cool. It looks like it has a lot of character and I like those type of games. Gameplay should be very good once the game comes out and is polished, so I'm not too concerned about the perceived issue of fluidity. I'm pretty hyped for this game.

Cubits

Yeah, nintendo is the master of polish, they won't let it out of the gates without it meeting their standards. I'm pretty pumped for how entertaining the whacky multiplayer modes look, I'm bored of dry shooters.

This and splatoon, rocking third person shooting in the absence of third parties.

Goodtwin

Hype train for sure! If they take there time this game could be special like goldeneye was for N64.
I wouldnt go that far, its tough for any game to come out and be the phenom that was Goldeneye. You basically have to completely revolutionize a genre, or create an entirely new genre to have that sort of impact.

With that said, I think it has the chance to be a cult classic. If they manage the FPS/TPS combination so that it feels seemless, then they could have a sensational game on their hands with very little competition. These types of games have been known to release onteh PS3 and 360 over the years, but are typically crushed under the weight of COD and Battlefield. This is another game like Bayonetta 2, where it will still be pretty niche, but successful with a very passionate fanbase.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I just noticed that there are alot of IGN Wii lobby members here. I think I will feel right at home here.
Many of the old old school IGN members are here. If I'm not mistaken and I'll take a shot in the dark here.

Arrogant_ECC? Is that you?

Even if it isn't welcome were glad to have you.

I wouldnt go that far, its tough for any game to come out and be the phenom that was Goldeneye. You basically have to completely revolutionize a genre, or create an entirely new genre to have that sort of impact.

With that said, I think it has the chance to be a cult classic. If they manage the FPS/TPS combination so that it feels seemless, then they could have a sensational game on their hands with very little competition. These types of games have been known to release onteh PS3 and 360 over the years, but are typically crushed under the weight of COD and Battlefield. This is another game like Bayonetta 2, where it will still be pretty niche, but successful with a very passionate fanbase.
If the game delivers on the crazyness shown at E3 the game will be very revolutionary. The two different styles of play has never been successfully done In an online shooter. Add the fact that the Wii U lacks any new mature online shooters I think It can become a real success. Also It can be real breath of fresh air for the genre because right now If you played one shooter you pretty much played them all. I wouldn't have had any faith had this been a straight up third party game, but because they have the Nintendo seal of take whatever time you need to make this great. I gotta say I'm gonna be a believer till proven otherwise.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The one and only! Crazy how so many of us landed In the same place.
Many of us from "our time" at IGN the old schoolers landed here, which is a great thing. I think a lot of it has do with the old schooler Menashe starting this site, with @juegosmajicos and EvilTwin (or @Mike D. ) as he's known around here following Menashe. The rest of us just followed there lead from the friendships we developed there over the years.

Again great to have some of the older guys around or finding this place.

http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/2014/09/thought-2014-09.html

oh boy, improvements inbound. Very excited.

Q1. Can you tell me the how and why Nintendo has become a publisher for your game?

Tomonobu Itagaki: Because we love games more than anyone else. We love to play and have fun. That’s exactly why we went independent in the first place. We wanted to develop in an environment where the question, “what is a game?” could be our central focus when making a decision. And it was absolute luck that allowed us to create this game with Nintendo. I think it’s our mission to take advantage of this encounter and meet the expectations of both gamers and everyone working in the industry.

Q2. As far as I see the trailers revealed during E3, I had an impression that the game contents have drastically changed from what it was announced before. So, it will be much appreciated if you can tell me the concept of your game.

TI: Sorry but there’s just too much to say. (laugh)
To put it briefly, it would be like, “who would actually make this kind of game? Really?!”
I think we’ve been really blessed.

Q3. There’s a remark in the latest trailer, saying “COMES A NEW BREED OF ACTION.” Can you tell me what makes it “NEW BREED”?

TI: I’m extremely vocal and picky when it comes to the touch-and-feel of the controls – once you get your hands on it and try for yourself I think you’ll understand. I took a long, hard look at both the action and shooter genres and figured out what they were lacking, and brought them both to a new level.

Q4. Skinhead guy was featured in the trailer. Is he going to be a protagonist?

TI: Yeah, his name’s Ivan, and he’s the protagonist of the game. I’ve been making this game together with Mr. Yamagami of Nintendo for a while now, and one day he came to me with this really burning intensity. He asked me, “Why aren’t you showing off the Valhalla spirit?! Why don’t you really show what Japanese developers can do?!” So I asked him, “Can we get away with that? Can we push it that far?!” He replied, “Of course! Otherwise what’s the point of us working together?!” His words really lit a fire under us, leading to the creation of Ivan, the protagonist, and the in-game music.
His words were really inspiring to me. And I have my own take on ninja – I told myself, “Alright, let’s do this!!”
But remember that what was shown in the trailer is only just one small part – we’ve poured our identity into every part of this game. Since E3, we’ve made major improvements in every area, from graphics to animations to playability. I know there will be some reactions like “what the hell is this?” But for now, we’ll just keep charging straight ahead!

Q5. In the previous coverage, I was told you depicted the world after collisional cascading called “the Kessler syndrome” had occurred. Can you give me a little bit more in-depth information about the story settings?

TI: The enemy that appears in this game is the School of Democracy (SOD), a group of soldiers from the former Soviet Union who didn’t want to return to the current Russia or anywhere else. Instead, they’ve set their sights on “Simultaneous World Revolution,” even disguising themselves as terrorists to achieve their goal. Go look up “Marxism.” This story is fiction and takes place in a parallel universe, but it’s not a completely unbelievable proposition.

These SOD soldiers destroy most of the satellites in orbit with anti-satellite weapons, as well as creating an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) by exploding nuclear bombs at high altitude, which renders nearly all modern weapons that are heavily reliant on computers unusable. What this does is cause the world to lose its ability to use unmanned and long-range weapons, and conflicts return to the age of hand-to-hand infantry combat with small arms and melee weapons. This setting is to provide a little realism as a shooter, and well, I’m a big military fan as well, so I didn’t want to create a world and story that was totally unbelievable.

Recently the Kessler Syndrome has been featured in other forms of entertainment. Ours is a worst-case scenario, but it’s still a very real possibility. I know it’s a scenario that I am creating myself, but it’s one that I hope will only happen in a video game.

Q6. Seems characters in the latest trailer have been totally renewed from the ones we saw in the previous trailer. Any change in the story?

TI: The story hasn’t changed a bit. We actually spent more than two years to create these world settings and character settings, so in that sense, you can say my style of creation has changed.

Q7. Since online play is the main feature of this game, you earlier said the game was being played by 16 players. Now, how many players can play at a time?

TI: Sixteen players as previously scheduled. We are now in the final stage of adjustments to hit that target.

Q8. You earlier said you wanted to bring in unprecedented features for online as well. What sort of elements did you implement in the game? I understand you can’t reveal them in detail, but I’ll be glad if you can indicate even a rough direction.

TI: This game is not merely a shooter, but one set in a world where the Kessler Syndrome and an EMP has destroyed nearly all infrastructures that relied on electronics. This time, players will participate in the “North America Campaign,” a battle for survival that takes place in different areas around the North American continent. Everyone begins their journey as just a regular guy or girl, starting off with just an iron pipe you happened to find on the ground or a simple gun. Battles and insurrections pop up all over the place, and you can choose to make your way in the world by either becoming a solitary mercenary or organizing with other players to create a band of vigilantes or an armed organization. It might be easier to think of them as clans or guilds. Simply put, this is a massive shooter game to be played on a scale of tens of thousands of people for domination of the North American continent.

In addition, there’s a sport shooter mode which allows you to play this game more casually.
As we showed in the trailer, there are some fun, comical play modes such as collecting chickens or a ball-toss game involving giant blenders. Anything goes!

Q9. This is Wii U exclusive title. Did you include any features unique to Wii U (such as utilization of WII U GamePad) ?

TI: Taking advantage of a hardware’s features is my policy. So, the GamePad will be featured, yes.
It isn’t designed to be obtrusive, but it should make you think, “Oooh, now that makes sense.”

Q10. Can you tell me the attractive features of Wii U hardware?

TI: It might sound surprising to you, but the Wii U is actually a very flexible hardware and library. We’ve been able to add necessary functions to it and it has definitely been satisfying. We are using the Unreal Engine, and we’ve added a ton of our own modifications to that as well. This might be too much of a tangent, but after my family and my team’s families heard we are developing on Nintendo hardware, their interest in the game has gone way up. (laugh)

Q11. I think some of fans may worry about how violence representation will be because this is a game for Nintendo hardware. Can you tell me how you treated it?

TI: Nintendo has never forced us to follow their routines. “What is a game? What is it to ‘play’?” – Those are the fundamental topics we’ve been discussing the past few years and we’ve always tried to nail down what that “it” is that gamers are looking for.
That “it” is what Wii U users are looking for, what our fans are looking for, and also what people are expecting from Japanese developers. It has brought us constant challenges and will continue to bring more in the future. The same thing goes for violence. It’s not something that should be displayed or decided according to a fixed formula. The only thing we’re focused on now is how to make you guys say “whoa, didn’t see that coming!” when you look back at the game.

Q12. Nintendo has been noted for its game development. Can you tell me things about them that have amazed or stimulated you while working together, if any?

TI: Nintendo is fully supporting us in game design, testing and tuning. Especially Mr. Yamagami – every week he and I have great discussions about really fundamental but important ideas about what makes a video game – even the significance of simply “pressing a button,” or what kind of emotions we want to evoke or what type of surprises we need. We’ve been able to form a deep understanding with each other and together we were able to create an easily accessible system that anyone can quickly pick up and play.

Q13. It has become a long-term project taken more than four years since it was officially announced. Can you tell me about your determination?

TI: As a developer, I’m actually happy that I could spend four years on the development of a single game.
Nonetheless, it is also a fact that I’m really sorry for making our fans wait so long. That’s why we want to create something they can enjoy to the fullest.
All of us involved in the development of this game feel the same way and we are hard at work putting on the final touches.

Q14. This is going to be the first consumer title for Valhalla. Looking back at years until now, can you tell me your impressions?

TI: This is a game to be kept up and operating for a long time. Therefore, its release is not the goal of this game, but rather its starting point. We have partnered with Softgear (a Tokyo company specializing in online gaming) to run the online portion and they are real professionals in this field. Valhalla, Nintendo and Softgear will continue to combine our strengths to operate this game going forward into the future.
We are planning to put out content updates and we want to continue to have fun developing, working with our players toward a new frontier. I’ll be joining the game too, so if you see me online, please go easy on me. (laugh)

Aki

I'm even more excited for this game than I was previously after reading the full interview with Itagaki. The game looks very interesting to say the least and if they execute it well, it may be the best online fps / tps on Wii U for a while. I'm personally excited to see more footage of the game. Could be one of those diamond in the rough type of games like Mad World was on Wii.

Goodtwin

After the interview, and watching the online multiplayer trailer, I have gone from optimistic to super hyped for this game. The maps looked awesome, and with 16 players this game could be awesome. I really think if they nail the cross over between TPS and FPS, this game could be epic. It also seems like they are doing a good job of not overextending themselves. The multiplayer visuals arent exactly jaw dropping, but that gives me hope that they are indeed putting gameplay first, and will spruce up the visuals as best they can. So many developer prioritize the graphics, and then try to get the framerate up to snuff in the last portion of the development cycle, often coming up short of goal. This may be the sleeper hit of 2015, and it seems like its being given that Nintendo level of polish and attention. Nintendo isnt just the publisher, but are seemingly very involved in assisting them with anything they need to help make it great.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

If the game delivers on the crazyness shown at E3 the game will be very revolutionary. The two different styles of play has never been successfully done In an online shooter. Add the fact that the Wii U lacks any new mature online shooters I think It can become a real success. Also It can be real breath of fresh air for the genre because right now If you played one shooter you pretty much played them all. I wouldn't have had any faith had this been a straight up third party game, but because they have the Nintendo seal of take whatever time you need to make this great. I gotta say I'm gonna be a believer till proven otherwise.
Unless you played Titanfall :p (Kind of unfortunate its severely lacking in content)

Hey Red :D

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

After the interview, and watching the online multiplayer trailer, I have gone from optimistic to super hyped for this game. The maps looked awesome, and with 16 players this game could be awesome. I really think if they nail the cross over between TPS and FPS, this game could be epic. It also seems like they are doing a good job of not overextending themselves. The multiplayer visuals arent exactly jaw dropping, but that gives me hope that they are indeed putting gameplay first, and will spruce up the visuals as best they can. So many developer prioritize the graphics, and then try to get the framerate up to snuff in the last portion of the development cycle, often coming up short of goal. This may be the sleeper hit of 2015, and it seems like its being given that Nintendo level of polish and attention. Nintendo isnt just the publisher, but are seemingly very involved in assisting them with anything they need to help make it great.
Yeah, like I said in the CT, in Yamagami-san we trust. The guy is always pushing everyone he works with to go the extra mile that he knows they're capable of. http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/wii-u-community-thread.1/page-815#post-103759

I'll post the quotes from Edge down below once more.

Edge: Nintendo seems an unlikely partner for this type of game. What convinced you it was the best company to work with?

Itagaki: "I just wanted to work with people who loved Devil's Third with all they had. And Nintendo said to me, "Let's shape Devil's Third into a great game together!" And there's one more thing I want to say. To you all, I might appear as a guy that just kind of fits with wearing sunglasses or gambling while having some drinks, while some people view Nintendo as a company only interested in making family-friendly videogames featuring Nintendo characters. But it's dangerous to measure the value of things [or] try to predict the future with such a stereotyped mindset. All you'll get are weak answers.[...]"

Edge:You've been known for you work on Xbox, and to a lesser extent Playstation, during the past decade or so. What's it like making a game on Wii U?

Itagaki:"When I first announced I would make a game for Xbox, I was asked hundreds of times, "Why would you make a game for a console like Xbox? Are you out of your mind?" Now we have this nice convenient tool called the Internet and all those questions from interviewers and my answers are archived. I encourage you to look at them. Now I have a question for you. Do you know anyone who would ask me right now,"Why did you make games for Xbox?" No one, right? Because you guys living in 2014 understand that I made the right choice. Whatever, let me put it a different way. All I do is make games, for videogame fans, on the hardware I want to work with."

Edge:You worked on SNES games at the start of your career. How does Nintendo today differ from then?

Itagaki:"Nintendo is now much more open than in those days. The hardware team, software team, everything -- even management. Think about it. Two decades have passed. It'd be strange if things didn't change, don't you think? [...]"

Edge:Your games are notoriously difficult. How do you intend to balance that with Nintendo's more family-oriented audience?

Itagaki:"There are two different cases: sometimes Nintendo will say, "We'll leave everything to you, Itagaki," and then sometimes they'll say, "Whoah, this is too difficult! Enough is enough!" [Laughs] See? Development is fun, isn't it? Working on different things every day; thinking differently every day. But it's easier said than done. There is one thing that never changes, though. It is [the desire] to make a game of a new genre for people to enjoy -- that passion. For that passion and for that goal, it will often lead us to argue, and it will often lead us to embrace. And then we'll go for a drink!"

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I thought about this thread quite a bit last night and in the past year an anomaly for myself has happened that's very rare.

After e3 last year I was so meh on this game while hyping on SPLATOON. For my life normally once I'm into something I very very rarely just stop hyping, and when I'm not into something I very very rarely get onboard with it.

What has happened is my hype for SPLATOON went way down over the year, actually with each announcement it got worse and worse. While for Devils 3rd it's gotten more and more with each bit of info.

So much so I can't wait for this e3 to see just exactly how this game is shaping up and what it's gonna be like. I can wait to find out more

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I thought about this thread quite a bit last night and in the past year an anomaly for myself has happened that's very rare.

After e3 last year I was so meh on this game while hyping on SPLATOON. For my life normally once I'm into something I very very rarely just stop hyping, and when I'm not into something I very very rarely get onboard with it.

What has happened is my hype for SPLATOON went way down over the year, actually with each announcement it got worse and worse. While for Devils 3rd it's gotten more and more with each bit of info.

So much so I can't wait for this e3 to see just exactly how this game is shaping up and what it's gonna be like. I can wait to find out more
I want it to be fully featured in the E3 directs, and shown during the Treehouse streams as well.