Official "Devil's Third or Devil's Turd?" (hype train vs. train wreck) Thread

Devil's Third or Devil's Turd? Hype train or train wreck?

• Hype Train.

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Train Wreck.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I care not a whit.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Royale with cheese.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Buy Splatoon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goodtwin

The truth is, don't worry about sales or how Nintendo market these titles, because if it wasn't for Nintendo, they wouldn't have seen the light of day anyway. Most of the time we want these titles to do well so that sequels are a possibility, but with these niche titles that Nintendo funds, lets not worry about the sequel, because the franchise was all but dead before Nintendo stepped in. Would Bayonetta 2 have sold better with better market from Nintendo? Will Devils Third sell lower numbers than we would like? Most probably. But these titles were on deaths door until Nintendo gave them a second chance, so instead of complaining about Nintendo's lack of marketing, lets rejoice in the fact that they were given life at all.

The truth is, don't worry about sales or how Nintendo market these titles, because if it wasn't for Nintendo, they wouldn't have seen the light of day anyway. Most of the time we want these titles to do well so that sequels are a possibility, but with these niche titles that Nintendo funds, lets not worry about the sequel, because the franchise was all but dead before Nintendo stepped in. Would Bayonetta 2 have sold better with better market from Nintendo? Will Devils Third sell lower numbers than we would like? Most probably. But these titles were on deaths door until Nintendo gave them a second chance, so instead of complaining about Nintendo's lack of marketing, lets rejoice in the fact that they were given life at all.
In the case of DT, I think it's important. Sure, I'm grateful that Nintendo saved it, but if they don't advertise, then how long will it be supported?

Call of Duty Ghosts has 400 people playing online? Patches, DLC and all that never came our way (well, good DLC). If it sells like shit, it could be forgotten and abandoned pretty fast.

And 101 didn't sell that great, again, I'm happy we got it, but will that make Nintendo not fund more stuff like that? Or would they just make another Warriors crossover that recently sold 1 million copies.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but good games deserve good numbers, and hopefully DT will be a big hit with a big online community and lasting support from Nintendo.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
In the case of DT, I think it's important. Sure, I'm grateful that Nintendo saved it, but if they don't advertise, then how long will it be supported?

Call of Duty Ghosts has 400 people playing online? Patches, DLC and all that never came our way (well, good DLC). If it sells like shit, it could be forgotten and abandoned pretty fast.

And 101 didn't sell that great, again, I'm happy we got it, but will that make Nintendo not fund more stuff like that? Or would they just make another Warriors crossover that recently sold 1 million copies.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but good games deserve good numbers, and hopefully DT will be a big hit with a big online community and lasting support from Nintendo.
Nintendo needs a game with Guns, Violence, and Tits, and then we'll have a winner here. Oh wait, DT has all of those. It should sell gangbusters now!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Yeah, I'm just happy some games exist at all. It's hard for me to complain with getting Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, when in their place we'd have gotten nothing at all. But still...
I certainly agree with you, but plenty of good games fall between the cracks. That's pretty much been the history of Clover/Platinum, for one. I'd like to think a game like Shadow of the Colossus should have sold as much as COD or GTA, but it doesn't happen.

Devil's Third will probably get its own Direct, and maybe some Treehouse love at E3. But I doubt it'll get TV ads, since Nintendo seems to view them as a waste of money. It'll probably sell just like Bayo2 as a result.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah, I'm just happy some games exist at all. It's hard for me to complain with getting Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, when in their place we'd have gotten nothing at all. But still...

I certainly agree with you, but plenty of good games fall between the cracks. That's pretty much been the history of Clover/Platinum, for one. I'd like to think a game like Shadow of the Colossus should have sold as much as COD or GTA, but it doesn't happen.

Devil's Third will probably get its own Direct, and maybe some Treehouse love at E3. But I doubt it'll get TV ads, since Nintendo seems to view them as a waste of money. It'll probably sell just like Bayo2 as a result.
Let's speak on this for a minute and I would like to get y'all's view on this.

I'm ALMOST to the point where I agree with Nintendo on not advertising on TV and let me explain. I think I'm probably in the minority that I seriously very rarely even turn on my TV anymore to watch TV.

In fact I don't even have a cable service anymore, I use an antenna for locals, and stream everything else. With the rise of DVR and people just skipping all commercials just to get to the show, or streaming where commercials are largely a non issue. For myself commercials are a non issue thus Nintendo spending money where it's not needed to spend on advertising.

Things that would hit me more, and have a wider reach is advertisements on sites or like YouTube videos. I guess the best place on TV for me to have there attention would be major sporting events which would be smart IMO.

But what do y'all think? Is it still viable to spend money on TV commercials with the ever changing landscape of how people watch TV?

I'm with you on that one, but we're not quite there yet where totally ignoring televised advertising is a completely viable. You're gonna want to place some percentage there just to look like you have confidence in the product at the very least. That's the main reason fans complain, I think, when they dont see advertising on television for products, they think that Nintendo just doesnt care for the game to succeed.

Nintendo is gonna have a lot more exposure options in the near future if they decide to dip into television and movies themselves, not to mention their Universal attractions.

EvilTw1n

But what do y'all think? Is it still viable to spend money on TV commercials with the ever changing landscape of how people watch TV?
Yes. It's a numbers game. About 7.6 million households in America don't have cable or satellite. There are 115 million American households, and 54.4 million subscribers still have cable. Iwata is on the right track, because the future probably has cable and satellite subscribers declining year after year, but...
I'm with you on that one, but we're not quite there yet where totally ignoring televised advertising is a completely viable.
This. Anyone think it's a coincidence you couldn't watch a Sunday football game last year without seeing a dozen PS4 ads? Anyone think there's no relationship there between a marketing blitz and market success?

I think there's only so much exposure Nintendo gets from theme parks and movies, too. A Zelda series on Netflix or something is great...for Zelda. But LoZ doesn't need that much marketing help. Games like Bayonetta and Devil's Third need it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yes. It's a numbers game. About 7.6 million households in America don't have cable or satellite. There are 115 million American households, and 54.4 million subscribers still have cable. Iwata is on the right track, because the future probably has cable and satellite subscribers declining year after year, but...

This. Anyone think it's a coincidence you couldn't watch a Sunday football game last year without seeing a dozen PS4 ads? Anyone think there's no relationship there between a marketing blitz and market success?

I think there's only so much exposure Nintendo gets from theme parks and movies, too. A Zelda series on Netflix or something is great...for Zelda. But LoZ doesn't need that much marketing help. Games like Bayonetta and Devil's Third need it.
I'm for sure on board for Major sporting event commercials such as the NFL. I get that totally, but a commercial during Mike & Molley not so much.

Goodtwin

That is why the marketing department needs to be good at their job, and advertise accordingly. Certain programs, such as live sporting events are likely to be watched live, and because of that, commercials will not be skipped over. I do agree that there are lots of new outlets for marketing, but ultimately, TV commercials are still reach the most people. If your marketing budget is small, then perhaps playing just a few commercials during prime time football will be less effective than advertising on youtube and internet sites in general. Best bang for the buck kind of deal.

Im not condoning Nintendo neglecting these titles in terms of advertising, but just dont get to caught up in the business aspect of it. If you like the game, then enjoy it, Bayonetta 2 is the best game of 2014 in my opinion, and its not even close, so the fact that sales were pretty ho hum doesnt really change the fact that I am glad Nintendo funded the game, because it wasnt coming without them. Do I wish they would better support these titles? Sure, but Nintendo's philosphy may be that if your games budget doubles because of advertising cost, then perhaps the game wasnt all that desirable. When you have multiple Nintendo IP's sell far better with little to no advertising, im sure this skews Nintendo's opinion on adversiting. Captain Toad will be a million seller with a stupid low marketing budget. Why does the public buy that and not Bayonetta 2? Giving the consumer to much credit will make your brain hurt, telling the consumer what they want over and over again does work. Every year people complain about Call of Duty, and every year those same people buy it again and again. Activision sold Destiny to millions of people on hype, hype fabricated thanks to their excellent marketing program.

Shoulder

Let's speak on this for a minute and I would like to get y'all's view on this.

I'm ALMOST to the point where I agree with Nintendo on not advertising on TV and let me explain. I think I'm probably in the minority that I seriously very rarely even turn on my TV anymore to watch TV.

In fact I don't even have a cable service anymore, I use an antenna for locals, and stream everything else. With the rise of DVR and people just skipping all commercials just to get to the show, or streaming where commercials are largely a non issue. For myself commercials are a non issue thus Nintendo spending money where it's not needed to spend on advertising.

Things that would hit me more, and have a wider reach is advertisements on sites or like YouTube videos. I guess the best place on TV for me to have there attention would be major sporting events which would be smart IMO.

I agree for the most part, but one area where Nintendo could easily capitalize on advertising would be during sporting events, whether it be football, baseball, basketball, motorsport, or even UFC. Yes, pricing for that might be a bit higher, but there's also the return of investment. Lots of people watch big games, so if Nintendo were to get a piece of that pie, it could turn into a positive investment.

EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n

Multiplayer looks really dumb but in a good way. Will probably get annoying in ways but damn it looks fun.
Gonna need a translation to see what all those gold and points and shit mean.
I changed the subtitles to English through the settings, but it's pure Engrish.

So they've taken Vanquish's slide, Bayonetta's dodge, Other M's perspective switch, COD's multiplayer, Halo's Forge, Ninja Gaiden's gore, and put it into a bad action movie with watermelons and chickens.

And it looks looks stupidly, supremely fun.

Last edited:
Apparently a physical copy of the game is exclusive to Amazon, for Japan.

And because Europe is getting it in August, doesnt necessarily mean we will too. Europe is getting Yoshi this month, but we still got a "fall" release

the_randomizer

I hope the game does well enough in Japan, Europe, and the States; it seems like it's a game that will definitely catch our eyes, but I am curious about the reviews.

EvilTw1n

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
What in the..? Why was there any animosity in the first place? At least they're mending their ways.
It had to do the increasing returns of broken Nintendo systems at the time. I believe it was during the early years of the Wii U or something if I can remember. Amazon wasn't happy with that and stopped offering Nintendo consoles for a spell. All orders were outsourced to other sellers. It was a really inconvenient misfortune on my part. It's much easier for me to purchase stuff from amazon where I can get almost everything I'd want than from various sites.

the_randomizer

It had to do the increasing returns of broken Nintendo systems at the time. I believe it was during the early years of the Wii U or something if I can remember. Amazon wasn't happy with that and stopped offering Nintendo consoles for a spell. All orders were outsourced to other sellers. It was a really inconvenient misfortune on my part. It's much easier for me to purchase stuff from amazon where I can get almost everything I'd want than from various sites.
Seriously? So instead of owning up to their return policy, they take the coward's way out, eh? Sad, really.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Seriously? So instead of owning up to their return policy, they take the coward's way out, eh? Sad, really.
Not really. In some ways this helped out their employees a lot, especially the ones in customer service. Humans can be pretty mean, and it's the people who have nothing to do with the problem that usually have to take the abuse.

Shoulder

^
This game has been through a hell of a journey to get up and running on UE3, so I was never thinking it'd be a technical showcase. If this is anything to go by?

I think we'll be fine.
Agreed. Yes, those are bullshots from the standpoint of zero jaggies and whatnot, but the game itself looks pretty decent from the graphical standpoint. And if the gameplay is even half as good as COD, we got ourselves here a winner.

Koenig

The Architect
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you guys think of this game so far? At current I can not bother raising any hopes for this game, but that leaves me a lot more room if the games turns out to be worth while.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you guys think of this game so far? At current I can not bother raising any hopes for this game, but that leaves me a lot more room if the games turns out to be worth while.
I'm cautiously optimistic, and the cautiously is that we haven't EXAVTLY heard all the features.

Other than that you know how much I love zanny uniqueness, stuff like flexing when you take a potion in MH that crap is lol.

Devils Thrid has that part for me.

^
This game has been through a hell of a journey to get up and running on UE3, so I was never thinking it'd be a technical showcase. If this is anything to go by?

I think we'll be fine.

Those graphics are fine by me.

In all honesty, when graphics blow me away in a new game, it only lasts for awhile, unless the game changes it's environments often. But most times, it's jsut "this looks good, now how's that gameplay".

So I'm hoping for a demo

That is why the marketing department needs to be good at their job, and advertise accordingly. Certain programs, such as live sporting events are likely to be watched live, and because of that, commercials will not be skipped over. I do agree that there are lots of new outlets for marketing, but ultimately, TV commercials are still reach the most people. If your marketing budget is small, then perhaps playing just a few commercials during prime time football will be less effective than advertising on youtube and internet sites in general. Best bang for the buck kind of deal.

Im not condoning Nintendo neglecting these titles in terms of advertising, but just dont get to caught up in the business aspect of it. If you like the game, then enjoy it, Bayonetta 2 is the best game of 2014 in my opinion, and its not even close, so the fact that sales were pretty ho hum doesnt really change the fact that I am glad Nintendo funded the game, because it wasnt coming without them. Do I wish they would better support these titles? Sure, but Nintendo's philosphy may be that if your games budget doubles because of advertising cost, then perhaps the game wasnt all that desirable. When you have multiple Nintendo IP's sell far better with little to no advertising, im sure this skews Nintendo's opinion on adversiting. Captain Toad will be a million seller with a stupid low marketing budget. Why does the public buy that and not Bayonetta 2? Giving the consumer to much credit will make your brain hurt, telling the consumer what they want over and over again does work. Every year people complain about Call of Duty, and every year those same people buy it again and again. Activision sold Destiny to millions of people on hype, hype fabricated thanks to their excellent marketing program.
Eh sales were better in comparison with the time period of the last game soo it doenst matter

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Personally, I'm not expecting anything great. I'm expecting an OK game that'll probably have something similar done far better by someone else on the PS4/XB1

Shoulder

The bigger question though is why wasn't Devil's Third even shown or given ANY information for that matter during E3? It's like Nintendo did not want to tarnish their family-friendly image or something, but then forgot they showed Fatal Frame in the process.

Nintendo, why don't you just let us know, instead of giving us the silent treatment like you always do?