Official Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [3DS] Thread

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
I'm aware this thread won't see anywhere near as much action as the Wii U thread, but that's okay.

The demo released today with 2 missions, easy & hard with 12 weapon/armor sets to choose from.

The demo reminded me just how fantastic the game is, and it showed how well they've moved it over to 3DS. The target system works really well and actually so does the d-pad camera on the touch-screen. The demo says you can't use the circle pad, but I think you can in the full version. Anyway, I probably won't bother personally.

Other than that, I have to say I can't decide between 3D or 2D. The 3D actually looks brilliant. It's really well done and I think it genuinely helps in the underwater sections with judging distances. However, 2D mode smoothed out the framerate a lot. The framerate isn't bad in 3D, not at all, I didn't even notice until I turned to 2D for the first time, but as I've said, it is noticeable. So, that's a dilemma I need to work out.

What did you guys think of the demo?

Ex-Actarus

Hi Jam it's been a while :)
Did you play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSP, how are the controls then, better ?
By the way the last Monster Hunter 4 trailer, I can't believe this is running on a 3DS... STUNNING : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDoxsealZk

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Oh yeah, MH4 is looking fantastic. Good thing we're getting MH3U to tide us over, otherwise the wait would be very painful.
Does the dragon at 2:30 remind anyone else of Deviljho? I'm guessing they wanted to make a new Deviljho-like monster that was balanced for the new gameplay. So basically, if we thought it would be easier to deal with Deviljho now that we could climb and jump so freely, we are going to be humbled by this new flying beast.
Anyway, I'm planning to get MH3U on WiiU, but I want to try the 3DS demo as well to see what's up. I'll come back with impressions once I've done that.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Ex-Actarus! Always good to bump into you buddy! :D

I'm afraid I didn't play that title, my first MH was Tri. I will comment on the controls for MH3U, though.

The item management, left analog and face buttons all work very well, just as you'd expect. It's all very comfortable. The main concern regarding controls is of course the camera. There is a large touch-screen D-Pad on the right of the screen which functions really well, and is actually very comfortable to use. I actually started using the target camera a lot though, which faces the camera toward the monster when clicking the L-trigger. This helped the water sections massively.

All-in-all, after 2 rounds of adjustment (I haven't played MH in about a year) I was back in the swing of it and I wasn't fighting the controls, or getting frustrated with the camera. Nor did I have the infamous MH claw :p I'm certain you wouldn't have any problems.

Re: MH4 - Insane!!! It looks absolutely insane!! I have no more words. I sincerely hope it makes it's way to the west.

Juegos, you just love to rub it in don't ya :p I'm so bummed that I won't get to play with you guys :( The purple monster at 2:30 is certainly badass, and you're right that Jho would be in trouble if we could start jumping on him!! Payback for him jumping on my ass

When I found out that the 3DS demo was up and got right to it. Unfortunately I couldn't play it the night I began to download it. It took it's time. So I let it sit over night and sure enough, it was done. Got home from work yesterday and firing up that demo was the first thing I did. It plays fine, though the 3DS layout requires a couple of minutes to adjust. But I use a combination of the virtual d-pad and that target center lock mechanic. Though I found that I like using the actual d-pad when aiming in 3rd person with ranged weapons like the bowguns. I've noticed some tweaks such as the time it would take to perform a dodge after swinging the switch axe. Which was something that was said to have been fixed in Portable 3rd. Has anyone defeated that second monster? The Lagombi is fairly easy and I beat it on the first go, but that second monster, not so much I seem to run out of time.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
In general I would say the demo also drove home how desirable a circle pad pro is going to be for this game on 3DS, particularly for underwater combat. The virtual dpad doesn't cut it on that front. Shame that NoA doesn't seem to be bringing the XL version over (or hasn't bothered to announce it if they plan to). You can import them through sellers on ebay for under $30 though, shipping included.
Has anyone defeated that second monster?
Yes. If you can get it exhausted on land it significantly shortens the fight. It will stand there hanging its head, defeated, getting absolutely abused, almost to the point where I've wondered if the AI hasn't glitched. I've never seen a Monster take that much punishment without any real response.

In general I would say the demo also drove home how desirable a circle pad pro is going to be for this game on 3DS, particularly for underwater combat. The virtual dpad doesn't cut it on that front. Shame that NoA doesn't seem to be bringing the XL version over (or hasn't bothered to announce it if they plan to). You can import them through sellers on ebay for under $30 though, shipping included.
Has anyone defeated that second monster?
Yes. If you can get it exhausted on land it significantly shortens the fight. It will stand there hanging its head, defeated, getting absolutely abused, almost to the point where I've wondered if the AI hasn't glitched. I've never seen a Monster take that much punishment without any real response.
I've seen it do this a couple of times. My problem on land is that everything it does seems to throw me back, and I'll try and hang back a little and keep an eye on it. Close in for a couple of swings, then it will turn around and non chalantley hit me with its tail. It always seems to just do its own thing. It wants to run of there, no, over there. Making traps hard to lay down. I got close to killing it with the SA and GL I think. But I always run out of time. Overall, the biggest problem is catching up to it underwater. I never died though.

But so far my strategy is beat it up in the water, get it up on land, wail on it some more, and try and lure it into the shock trap, plant some explosive barrels and detonate them, then beat the crap out of it some more. And I'm not being too aggressive. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough? What I couldn't stand though was when it would leave to the other area, while I was on land. I'll keep at it though. It's been a while since I played Tri so I am a little rusty. Any recommendations on weapons? Gun Lance worked fine, and I like the Switch axe and have found that it works well underwater. But I'm wondering if I should try something else.

Aki

I still need to download the demo on 3DS. It sucks so hard that the 3DS does not support wireless N. Every time I want to connect to the net with it, I need to go to my router settings and change my wireless network from wireless N only to b/g compatible.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I've seen it do this a couple of times. My problem on land is that everything it does seems to throw me back, and I'll try and hang back a little and keep an eye on it. Close in for a couple of swings, then it will turn around and non chalantley hit me with its tail. It always seems to just do its own thing. It wants to run of there, no, over there. Making traps hard to lay down. I got close to killing it with the SA and GL I think. But I always run out of time. Overall, the biggest problem is catching up to it underwater. I never died though.

But so far my strategy is beat it up in the water, get it up on land, wail on it some more, and try and lure it into the shock trap, plant some explosive barrels and detonate them, then beat the crap out of it some more. And I'm not being too aggressive. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough? What I couldn't stand though was when it would leave to the other area, while I was on land. I'll keep at it though. It's been a while since I played Tri so I am a little rusty. Any recommendations on weapons? Gun Lance worked fine, and I like the Switch axe and have found that it works well underwater. But I'm wondering if I should try something else.
It can be beaten with any weapon, it largely depends on your preferred style and strengths and weaknesses of play. If you're having trouble with keeping up to it underwater you might want to try big damage dealers that cut a wide path/reach and don't need to to deliver as many hits to be effective. So for example the Hammer or Great Sword, both of which are excellent. If knock back is a big problem and you have trouble timing rolls or sidesteps, it might be best to pick a weapon that can also block (Hammer cannot, Great Sword can). Dual Blades also aren't nerfed underwater the same way Longswords are, so if you're looking for a damage dealer, and can stay with the Plesioth enough to chain some combos on it, you can dispatch it pretty quickly (they don't have the reach of the larger melee weapons but they are more forgiving on the orientation of your character relative to the Monster as they come from the sides a lot). These are also Gobul Dual Blades so you'll inflict paralyze a couple times before it's all said and done (allowing more free hits).

Another possibility is to go with one of the three ranged weapons allowing you to stay a bit back at mid range. The Bow comes with a nice set of coatings for the arrows including an Exhaust coating that will tire out the monster faster, a Poison coating that can inflict poison status which will cause the creature to take damage so long as the purple bubbles are coming off its head, and of course Paralysis and Sleep coatings. Rather than using your bombs when the creature is in the trap, put the monster to sleep and then place the bombs close to its head. Detonate them with a shot. Monsters take triple damage from the first attack that breaks them out of their sleep and it tends to be especially devastating around the head. But be sure to hit the bomb and not the creature with the arrow - the reason is that if the arrow hits the creature before the bombs explode it will be the arrow shot and not the bomb blasts that do triple damage (so aim a bit off to the side of the creature). Try also to knock it asleep when your comrades are around as they will add barrel bombs to the pile for even more damage. If you go the Bowgun route be sure to grab the quest ammo as one is great underwater and the other is an elemental weakness of the Plesioth (Pierce shots should also be a go-to). I would go Light Bowgun here, as nice as siege mode is with the heavy, the Light Bowgun draws, sheaths and reloads faster, you can swim around faster with it drawn and you can also do a double back or 'side step' evasion after firing, even underwater (the Heavy Bowgun here has a power barrel instead of a shield, so you can't block with it). Also if time is your big enemy, remember to use the secret underwater path to Area 9 from your camp at the start (every little bit helps). Also be sure to make use of your quest equipment such as the flash bombs to stun and the frogs to fish the Plesioth out of the water at the start of the quest (if it isn't already on land), if you fish it out it'll spend some time flopping around on the beach allowing you some free hits, but you have to make sure you fish it out before you engage/agitate it or it doesn't work.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting, and be sure to share the tale with us when you finally conquer it!