Ichi_Bear -- 0061-2866-4858
juegosmajicos -- 2964-8579-5302
Koenig -- 4639-9234-2996
mattavelle1 -- 1435-4320-9758
Mr-Chris -- 3995-6974-6695
Shoulder -- 1177-9766-9216
SirNintendo -- 1332-7702-1481

-----
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is almost upon us, and as someone that's been playing a review copy multiplayer with @mattavelle1, I can guarantee you that it is the real deal. This should be the biggest release of the first half of 2015, and it would be the biggest release of the whole year if Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles X weren't also looming in the distance.

But, as with every Monster Hunter game, there is resistance from the public toward adopting it. I believe this is either due to the game's perceived difficulty, the difficulty of finding people to play the game with, and a lack of understanding of the glories of monster hunting in general, both in terms of social and challenge play. So I hope we can change that.

In this thread, let's post our friendcodes so we can join forces; let's post tips and tricks for getting better at the game; let's share our impressions and crazy stories with the game; and let's share our gameplay videos, or even just articles about Monster Hunter that we find interesting.

I will be posting some of the more important information in this op with time, such as the friend codes, guides we find, and so on.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The reason I wanted to start this thread now is because Matt and I just finished getting our ass handed to us by a Rathian. And what's better to gauge the worth of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, compared to the previous games in the franchise, than with this classic beast?

When we first encountered the Rathian, it was in one of the first areas of the game: a plain with a gentle slope and only a single elevated rock from which to jump toward the Rathian. We noticed only a few differences with the Rathian this time: a few different attack animations, some attacks being faster, and a couple of surprising new attacks that you have to watch out for. We thought, "it's nice how they've made this fight largely the same as before, just with a few new moves and animations. It's pretty classic."

Then the Rathian ran away to a different area. This other area has two flat levels, one at ground level, and the other above a vine ceiling. The Rathian can move between these easily, flying from the ground into the vine ceiling, or digging down from it to target a player below. Here, the verticality is used mostly to run away from the Rathian, and for her to surprise the player by reaching them more quickly than at first thought.

From here the Rathian moved to another area: steep slopes, large cliffs, and overarching bridges make up this area. Here we felt as if we were fighting a completely different monster. The Rathian behaved largely as expected in the flat parts of this area, but as soon as it approached a cliff, everything was new. The Rathian would pursue fleeing players toward the cliffs, and once they'd jump down to escape her, she'd poke her head out and down the cliff, and bombard the player with a fireball. We think we saw it simply try to bite Matt from the cliff when he was climbing back up to her another time. Moreover, she'd climb over these hills effortlessly, or quickly fly up and toward an enemy when there was a large vertical distance. The area she flew toward next was similarly vertical, with a lot of small cliffs that she could climb easily, or fly toward.

This is tied perfectly with the player's ability to move vertically. Just because the player has gone either above or below the monster doesn't mean that they are safe. The Rathian's fireballs are angled up and down to track the player, which means that the player has to pay attention at all times to the monster, and avoid a jumping attack unless they have an opening to exploit. At the same time, when the Rathian is near a cliff, it's not quite as simple as climbing one step into the cliff and jumping from it immediately to attack the Rathian in the air, a tactic that had worked effortlessly for previous monsters in the game, because the Rathian's attacks can easily reach the player, or catch them in the air.

The Rathian fainted us three times. It's not just that the difficulty of Monster Hunter Tri's online mode is back (considerably tougher than early rank Monster Hunter 3 U's quests), or that our gear was outdated, as the game requires you to upgrade your armor more frequently due to the increased damage of monsters in the same rank. It's that we are encountering completely new attack patterns that challenge the completely new way of thinking we had just learned with this game. That's the beauty of this game: it allows you to learn new aspects of Monster Hunter combat to get an edge over the early enemies, and then it challenges this edge by giving the enemy the same new, surprising knowledge of verticality.

We had already encountered many of these things in the demo, fighting the Gore Magala. But the true measure of just how great Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate can be, is in seeing the surprising transformation of one of the most basic and fundamental monsters of the Monster Hunter series, the Rathian. And our great-o-meter readings are off the freaking chart right now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Review scores are pretty good so far, just from what I see on N4G.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Polygon - 8.5/10
Capsule Computers - 9.5/10
IGN - 9/10
GamerHeadlines - 8/10 (this guy joined our room one night, but we didn't play with him)
Nintendo Enthusiast - 10/10 :mflirt:
Honest Gamers - 9/10
GamingAge - A / A+ (yes this site gave it 'A' out of 'A+' points :mmischief:)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Polygon - 8.5/10
IGN - 9/10
GamerHeadlines - 8/10 (this guy joined our room one night, but we didn't play with him)
Honest Gamers - 9/10
This pleases me

The game deserves every bit of high praise it gets

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@Cubits

With the "branching hunts" in one village I had 2 urgent quest. I don't know how I unlocked the 2nd but I have just been doing everything I come too.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I also finished paying off my pre-order for the game today (Along with Majora's Mask and Codename Steam) I am looking forward to palying Monster Hunter again- I just hope I can squeeze it in with my current school work.
I just put my pre-order cash down yesterday.

And now...the wait.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Polygon - 8.5/10
IGN - 9/10
Honest Gamers - 9/10
Metacritic shows Gaming Age's review as 100. Digital Spy's, too.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/monster-hunter-4-ultimate
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/monster-hunter-4-ultimate/critic-reviews

And what a beautiful sight it is to see TNE on Metacritic.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm glad we're not the only 10/10 there. The game deserves it. And also it's just nice to see there are game reviewers out there with the same mentality as ours.

EvilTw1n

One thing I like mentioned in the DigitalSpy review:

"Being granted travel to a new settlement acts as a trophy of sorts, a symbol of a job well done and mastery over your previous location. Each new place is populated by different sorts of people with their own sense of fashion and outlook on the world. This might sound trite and trivial, but the wider effect is to promote Monster Hunter's role-playing elements to a level that they've never before reached."

So can you go back to old towns/villages? Because that would make the offline portion really fluid via underscoring an RPG element (bouncing between towns) that has never really been there before.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

"Being granted travel to a new settlement acts as a trophy of sorts, a symbol of a job well done and mastery over your previous location. Each new place is populated by different sorts of people with their own sense of fashion and outlook on the world. This might sound trite and trivial, but the wider effect is to promote Monster Hunter's role-playing elements to a level that they've never before reached."

So can you go back to old towns/villages? Because that would make the offline portion really fluid via underscoring an RPG element (bouncing between towns) that has never really been there before.
Yes you can, whenever you want. One village has a specific facility where you can train the 30 or so cats you've recruited, send them on quests, and make them fish. Yes this is not a dream, it's a real game system. Anyway that's one reason to return to that village often. Another village gets new quests and a revamped area, so you return to it as part of the story.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

The single player is very relevant and great this time. No more "well I'll grind this monster online with everyone". It's just as well to do it offline now. Either way is fine but the monsters online are uber

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I was supposed to go to sleep right after posting the review like 7 hours ago. But then I said, "just one quest", ended up doing two, actually fell asleep during a stupid gathering quest, but wanted to keep playing. Now I've beaten the Low Rank part of the single player, and I thought I'd go to sleep then. But then I said, "just one quest to see what's up", got my ass summarily handed to me in a new area by a new monster, then decided to do some quick gathering to upgrade my weapon once more, and here I am. I had to put it away, I know I'd just keep playing if I don't force myself to stop.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I was supposed to go to sleep right after posting the review like 7 hours ago. But then I said, "just one quest", ended up doing two, actually fell asleep during a stupid gathering quest, but wanted to keep playing. Now I've beaten the Low Rank part of the single player, and I thought I'd go to sleep then. But then I said, "just one quest to see what's up", got my ass summarily handed to me in a new area by a new monster, then decided to do some quick gathering to upgrade my weapon once more, and here I am. I had to put it away, I know I'd just keep playing if I don't force myself to stop.
OH MAN I LOVE THIS POST GETS ME SO PUMPED!!!!

So onto high rank huh? Is it killer like you need more armor and weapons now?

Koenig

The Architect
So Matt. Is it better using the circle pad pro or without? Even though I have one I can't decide which to focus on based on the demo.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So Matt. Is it better using the circle pad pro or without? Even though I have one I can't decide which to focus on based on the demo.
Ask Jueg because I sent mine to him.

Why you ask? Because I'm a dumbass who thought Nintendo would make a one size fits all CCP.

Come to find out it didn't fit my XL so I sent it to Jueg.

I'm firmly in the touchscreen camera camp tho, it works perfectly fine.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Some "isn't this cool?" observations from Siliconera.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/1...weve-noticed-about-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/

Good thing, 'cause it's my only option.
We also could have written all that. They nailed it thank God.

My favorite line so far because TNE has "Zenny hunter" etc etc.

One of the NPCs says "this isn't Monster Reader after all!" After a lot of text he said this and I lol'ed.

The touchscreen camera becomes more and more 2nd nature the more you play. I won't even get a XL CCP now.

I'll only play with people who have a New 3DS since playing with past gens will hinder my online experience due to their awful loads and playstyle
:^)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'll only play with people who have a New 3DS since playing with past gens will hinder my online experience due to their awful loads and playstyle
:^)
Wait what? What's all this? Is this true?

The load times seem very very minimal to me this time around.

Koenig

The Architect
I still think Nintendo was quite short sighted to not include the second nub and pair of shoulder buttons in the original 3DS model.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
OH MAN I LOVE THIS POST GETS ME SO PUMPED!!!!

So onto high rank huh? Is it killer like you need more armor and weapons now?
The first monster kills me in two hits at full health, sometimes it's close to getting one-shot, so I definitely need new armor. I don't want to be downing two Mega Potions and one regular Potion every time I get hit, that's a waste of honey. And I already upgraded my weapon, but I think I did need it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I see.

@juegosmajicos

What do you think?
I don't think it's essential for controlling the camera, because the touch screen panel works fine after you enlarge it (which the game allows you to do now). But the CPP is really comfortable to hold, and once you get used to moving your thumb to the right instead of the left to adjust the camera, everything's peachy.

I would say wait it out, check out the options you have for enlarging the touch screen d-pad panel, and see how that feels. If your hands start getting cramped, then you should get the CPP so you don't end up with carpal tunnel.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The first monster kills me in two hits at full health, sometimes it's close to getting one-shot, so I definitely need new armor. I don't want to be downing two Mega Potions and one regular Potion every time I get hit, that's a waste of honey. And I already upgraded my weapon, but I think I did need it.

Cubits

The c-stick is no better than the touch screen dpad (which works pretty well!). I was mixing it up, and there's really nothing in it.

Buuut the game looks better on the new, which is nice. It's still no wii u version...

Koenig

The Architect
The c-stick is no better than the touch screen dpad (which works pretty well!). I was mixing it up, and there's really nothing in it.

Buuut the game looks better on the new, which is nice. It's still no wii u version...
How does it look better on the new version? Does it display improved textures or something along those lines?

Wait what? What's all this? Is this true?

The load times seem very very minimal to me this time around.
I'm kidding, just something I've been spreading around to get everyone worried and turned against each other.
Though I do think there probably would be some amount of uhh betterness if everyone was using a New 3DS, probably minimal.

How does it look better on the new version? Does it display improved textures or something along those lines?
according to people I know who have it, yeah, it runs smoother and has that. Who knows tho!

Cubits

Better lighting/shadows mostly. I had it running side by side and it's noticeable that way but not really in isolation.

It's just more of a nice touch by capcom for going the extra mile. Although, that was probably money better spent on a console version...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Better lighting/shadows mostly. I had it running side by side and it's noticeable that way but not really in isolation.

It's just more of a nice touch by capcom for going the extra mile. Although, that was probably money better spent on a console version...
What about the framerate? That's something I'd appreciate.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I just spent about 5 hours playing with Matt, getting through Low Rank, HR3 and getting into High Rank, HR4.

The sheer variety in monsters is astounding in this game. Some of the creativity that went into some of these monsters is ridiculous. Easily comparable with the best boss fights of any game in the industry. It's actually hard to think of any game with better bosses with the exception of Shadow of the Colossus, and even in that one there were only about 5 that were really outstanding.

Though that last boss Matt and I fought, an Elder Dragon, was kind of shitty. Rather, it was boring because it was so similar to a fight we went through way too many times in MH3U, and for me in Tri as well.

On the other hand, I fought the other Elder Dragon, the final boss of Low Rank in single player, and that guy is a true beast, and a ton of fun.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Nothing like getting your ass kicked by your old buddy the Pink Rathian. She was already limping goddammit. I ran out of potions, pretty much had nothing but antidote left, she poisoned me, and even though I kept my cool and was trying to focus so I could dodge one more attack before using an antidote, I wasn't able to dodge her fire breath. That was about 45 minutes of unrewarded hard work.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Nothing like getting your ass kicked by your old buddy the Pink Rathian. She was already limping goddammit. I ran out of potions, pretty much had nothing but antidote left, she poisoned me, and even though I kept my cool and was trying to focus so I could dodge one more attack before using an antidote, I wasn't able to dodge her fire breath. That was about 45 minutes of unrewarded hard work.
Ummmmmmm that's a heartbreaker. That would have been like us losing all of our matches lady night. Let's be honest another couple of minutes and the monster would have won.

Welcome back to MH Hunters. There is much learning to do. :msrs:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I get the impression my New 3DS will not ship until tomorrow when the damn thing launches (and arriving next week), rather than arriving at my doorstep at the time of launch like Amazon does things. Fucking Gamestop...

EvilTw1n

Going by metacritic, 60% of MH4U's reviews have a grade of 90/100 or higher.
Of the 44 now listed:

-27 reviews of 90 or better.
-35 reviews of 85 or better.
-42 reviews of 80 or better.

So the variation is mostly between "pretty good" and "fantastic." Two "bad" reviews for a MH game is pretty impressive, considering how opaque the series has traditionally been (I expected way more "the camera still sucks" and "it's not the best looking game" comments).

someone quoted VentureBeats' review.
Its pretty amazing. They gave it a 68, are incredibly misinformed its pathetic. They mistook Monster Fluid as something you use to track monsters with, very likely only got about 5 hours in and gave up and only tried single player. Great stuff.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
someone quoted VentureBeats' review.
Its pretty amazing. They gave it a 68, are incredibly misinformed its pathetic. They mistook Monster Fluid as something you use to track monsters with, very likely only got about 5 hours in and gave up and only tried single player. Great stuff.
It's like, "Dude, do you even know how to Monster Hunter?"