Official Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I think it will be released around Black Friday as well. They'd be dumb not to do so. Do it with a limited edition bundle, have people lined up for days for it.

And they said Winter 2014. I know that starts on Dec 21 technically, but that won't matter. If it were delayed till after Christmas, they would have said Winter 2015.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I am extremely hyped for this game. We have Mega Man, Little Mac, which both look like a ton of fun to play. Sakurai is playing all the right nostalgia keys, and gameplay keys to boot. The graphics are beautiful, with a few exceptions, the online seems incredibly interesting, the For Glory and For Fun modes look really interesting, For Fun for casual playing, and I can imagine myself spending quite a few sleepless nights playing For Glory. The characters seem really balanced too, and it'll be a challenge mastering them all. Wii Fit Trainer's and Villager's movesets look really interesting, with the whole buffing/preparing before an attack. The stadiums are creative and beautiful, especially the Galaxy one. I honestly am feeling confident about my Wii U purchase, more so than I was at last year's E3, last E3 I felt kind of cheated by Nintendo, and I became jealous of the PS4 and XBO, but now I do not feel like that. Between this and Mario Kart 8, I feel satisfied, and not only that, I have yet to play NES Remix, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and The Wonderful 101. Between those titles, and the upcoming X, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, and the upcoming Legend of Zelda, the Wii U is definitely shaping up to be a great system. And that is not without counting the indies, such as Ballpoint Universe, Scram Kitty, Armillo, QUBE, Child of Light, and so many more, and also there are the potential indie games such as A Hat in Time, which might make their way to Wii U. I am anxiously waiting E3 to see what Nintendo brings to the table, and it will be amazing. Choo choo, here comes the hype train everyone, and Wolven just boarded it.

Ex-Actarus

I am extremely hyped for this game. We have Mega Man, Little Mac, which both look like a ton of fun to play. Sakurai is playing all the right nostalgia keys, and gameplay keys to boot. The graphics are beautiful, with a few exceptions, the online seems incredibly interesting, the For Glory and For Fun modes look really interesting, For Fun for casual playing, and I can imagine myself spending quite a few sleepless nights playing For Glory. The characters seem really balanced too, and it'll be a challenge mastering them all. Wii Fit Trainer's and Villager's movesets look really interesting, with the whole buffing/preparing before an attack. The stadiums are creative and beautiful, especially the Galaxy one. I honestly am feeling confident about my Wii U purchase, more so than I was at last year's E3, last E3 I felt kind of cheated by Nintendo, and I became jealous of the PS4 and XBO, but now I do not feel like that. Between this and Mario Kart 8, I feel satisfied, and not only that, I have yet to play NES Remix, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and The Wonderful 101. Between those titles, and the upcoming X, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, and the upcoming Legend of Zelda, the Wii U is definitely shaping up to be a great system. And that is not without counting the indies, such as Ballpoint Universe, Scram Kitty, Armillo, QUBE, Child of Light, and so many more, and also there are the potential indie games such as A Hat in Time, which might make their way to Wii U. I am anxiously waiting E3 to see what Nintendo brings to the table, and it will be amazing. Choo choo, here comes the hype train everyone, and Wolven just boarded it.
Great to see so much excitement.

I think Wii U will have an incredible catalog of games.

I mean the quality of game on the platform is very impressive.

That said, Nintendo still need 3rd party support.

Hopefully, Smash and Mario Kart will boost Wii U sales so much that 3rd party devs will come back.

But that's a long shot...

For now the Wii U still feels as a Dreamcast to me, a console with amazing titles, but no 3rd party support.

History taught us it's not sustainable...

Odo

I was just excited about this game.

Then I've watched that Smash Bros Direct.

And now I'm dying of excitement!! I don't know how version should I buy!! Maybe both??

Ex-Actarus

I don't understand why so many people believe that Winter 2014 means... 2015.

It makes no sense to me.

I see November and December as a release target in 2014 !

Again, as I said in earlier posts in this thread, Nintendo needs a huge title for the holidays.

What bigger title than a Smash bros game ?

X and Bayonetta 2 are just not on that level.

My guess : November 2014.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
It depends how you look at it. Do you consider each year to have two winters? Some can say the January is part of 2014's winter
...but that wouldn't make much sense as next years January isn't in 2014, it's in 2015. Yes, Winter occurs in-between the transition from one year to the next but when people say something is coming out in the Winter, they mean at the end of the year

I heard a lot of people complaining about how 3DS is summer and Wii U is winter, and while it's a bummer for sure, I don't think Ninty is being stupid.

My roommate isn't a big gamer, mostly plays PC though when he does. He is gonna get a 3ds for this game. Ninty is gonna sucker everyone in with the 3DS, giving them a taste of it before releasing the version most people want.

I think it's pretty smart actually.

I heard a lot of people complaining about how 3DS is summer and Wii U is winter, and while it's a bummer for sure, I don't think Ninty is being stupid.

My roommate isn't a big gamer, mostly plays PC though when he does. He is gonna get a 3ds for this game. Ninty is gonna sucker everyone in with the 3DS, giving them a taste of it before releasing the version most people want.

I think it's pretty smart actually.
Releasing the 3DS version first is a good move. Releasing the Wii U version first would hurt the 3DS version in a way that the reverse won't. Also a simultaneous release would have both versions competing with each other.

Fangasmic Smash Bros Direct! My few complaints:

Final Destination mode for most stages is stupid because I don't want to just have flat stages, there should just be a hazard switch perhaps.
Wish they had confirmed voice chat. Also about online, Final Destination only for the competitive mode? Dafuq?
And some other things I'm too tired to remember.
I wish the Wii U version would release first.

I think Ridley still has a chance of being playable, I mean, Sakurai just showed a shadow like the troll he is.

There's some other things I wanna say but forgot lol.

I will finish by saying I can't wait for these games, and can't wait to beat you all online. It will be glorious.

Lets start a voice chat/no voice chat pool.
My gut tells me it will be a feature. You ask why. Well, in the direct Sakurai says there were limits to what they could do with online for Brawl right as a text taunt appears over Yoshi. Could be a coincidence sure, but I choose to follow the MGS fanbase and buy into the wishful thinking.
I remember that Yoshi bit, I honestly thought he would then go on to say that voice chat is a feature. Ugh.....still hope though.

ASuch

The Salt Master
The Final Destination versions of stages make sense. A lot of people who play competitive or want to play more hardcore only chose FD because it was flat and there wasn't anything to throw off their fight. I bet most of you will fight against each other, anyway.

He was mainly discussing online random play, barely mentioned anything about playing with friends beyond saying, you have all modes and no restrictions at your disposal

The Final Destination versions of stages make sense. A lot of people who play competitive or want to play more hardcore only chose FD because it was flat and there wasn't anything to throw off their fight. I bet most of you will fight against each other, anyway.
Not reallly. Competitive fighters play on the god damn Pokemon stadium lol.

They need platforms for edge play, Having those two floating platforms balances alot of charachters

Lmao no. Any match I ever went on on Brawl that was played with competent players was always FD, no exceptions.
Competitive and brawl is where you went wrong lolololol.

Havent you gone to any project M or Melee tourney? These Shy-Guys work on green greens. Shit just talk to Dakota.

yeah, final destination is good, but it seems like I'm in the ever growing minority of people who prefer fun than flat out competition. I know you guys are just discussing the competitive crowd, but man, I love me some crazy ass stages. Yellow Devil on Wily Castle is the shit.

Don't get on me with that dirty console scrub casual bullshit either. I get enough of that trash on the skype group for the editors of this site.

It takes more skill to win with Items on than with items off^

There is your answer City.

Although put me in the camp that hates scrolling stages.

But I do like the chaos that ensues with crazy stages

Yeah I can live without scrolling stages.

Anyone else notice a lot of stages this time around do the Delfino Plaza thing, where you fight, get transported to another part, fight, repeat. Seems like those are popular this time around. I likey

Put a bit of thought into the staggered release dates and despite my earlier convictions I pretty much agree that it's
I dont think anyone will buy only the 3DS version, I believe they will purchase either the just Wii U version or both. I had no thoughts of buying the 3DS one at all until this announcement, its a good move FOR Smash Bros sales. It will probably hurt the Wii U sales a bit, yeah, but I think with the game releasing near the holidays it lessens the damage. Maybe, gotta wait and see on this one.

Dont personally care because at the end of the day I'll be enjoying the game and not paying attention to the guys on the internet trying to hurt my feelings with videogames, hah.

Dang, that Smash direct was a huge success. The game's getting a ton of positive reactions across the board. Really hope Nintendo can follow up by riding the wave all the way to launch of both games. How this year will turn out in terms of amount of games? Who knows. But MK8 and Smash are going to be some damn huge megatons.

Ex-Actarus

Dang, that Smash direct was a huge success. The game's getting a ton of positive reactions across the board. Really hope Nintendo can follow up by riding the wave all the way to launch of both games. How this year will turn out in terms of amount of games? Who knows. But MK8 and Smash are going to be some damn huge megatons.
Can't remember a Direct with such coverage in the gaming media (not since the January 2013 for sure... ).

But let's hope the Wii U will have a price cut by then in order to maximize the success of the Wii U version.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
^If they find a way to hit a $200 price point, or $250 with a game bundle, I think we'll see sales increase dramatically.
It all depends on how much Nintendo can afford to charge for it. Have the cost of the materials decreased enough that they can sell it at a lower price and make a profit? If not, are they willing to sell it at a great loss for the possibility of more sales and thus more game sales?

riotmaker

large signature lol
Battlefield is more competitive than Final Destination, in my opinion. FD favors specific characters, that being long-range fighters.

Also, it bugs me to shit that people are saying the 3DS version being released before the Wii U version is a mistake, and cause the Wii U version to have lower sales.

They are two different games. Different modes, different stages, along with the differences in controls and graphics. There are plenty of similarities, but I think there's enough to offer two unique experiences.

Plus, the people who love the Smash Bros. series who have been holding out on buying Nintendo until the game came out would probably want the console version. I know plenty of people who love Smash, Zelda, and Mario Kart and will buy a Wii U just for those games. I'm more than sure they'd rather buy a console than a handheld.

ASuch

The Salt Master
There is/was a pretty big thread on IGN just of people saying how because the Wii U isn't offering anything that really makes it better than the 3DS version besides graphics, so they won't buy a Wii U, only the 3DS version, especially because it seems more feature packed than the other.

If Sakurai doesn't push some exclusive features, i think it could be indicative for how this game will affect Wii U.

Killer hornets sting 48 people to death in Tapatalk