Official Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Thread

I don't see how HD (1080?) 60FPS with surround sound in a living room with a comfy ass couch, some chips and salsa on the glass table, some ginger ale or beers, and perhaps some music on doesn't beat a 800 x 240 screen.

Unless people are going to invite their friends over to their houses and gather around like losers on their 3DS XLs.

My bet? Nobody is going to care and Nintendo will actually get more people to buy both version by separating them by this much.

There is/was a pretty big thread on IGN just of people saying how because the Wii U isn't offering anything that really makes it better than the 3DS version besides graphics, so they won't buy a Wii U, only the 3DS version, especially because it seems more feature packed than the other.

If Sakurai doesn't push some exclusive features, i think it could be indicative for how this game will affect Wii U.

Killer hornets sting 48 people to death in Tapatalk
lol
I'm certain Wii U is going to get it's own special unique features and modes as well, you've got to be kidding yourself if you dont foresee this happening.
Online is going to be make or break too.

ASuch

The Salt Master
I don't see how HD (1080?) 60FPS with surround sound in a living room with a comfy ass couch, some chips and salsa on the glass table, some ginger ale or beers, and perhaps some music on doesn't beat a 800 x 240 screen.

Unless people are going to invite their friends over to their houses and gather around like losers on their 3DS XLs.

My bet? Nobody is going to care and Nintendo will actually get more people to buy both version by separating them by this much.
The main argument is that most of these people's friends already have 3DS's. Not everyone has time to go over to someone's house and have to spend money to buy more controllers for more people. They'd rather already use what they have, especially since the online features seem slightly better on the 3DS right now.
lol
I'm certain Wii U is going to get it's own special unique features and modes as well, you've got to be kidding yourself if you dont foresee this happening.
Online is going to be make or break too.
I'm sure there's going to be something, but Sakurai isn't making a good case at all right now as for why anyone who doesn't already own a Wii U should buy one if they already have a 3DS. You guys used to talk about how graphics don't really matter, and how it's the game that matters. Well, Sakurai has shown us right now that the 3DS version has the best online modes and features. Playing with better graphics won't entice that many people to buy another version, especially when the version for the game on the system they already have is coming much sooner.

Some people currently see the Wii U version as just a map pack, and there's no reason for them to get that "map pack" when they can get a game for a system they already own, they don't need to buy more controllers since they probably won't do local play, most of their friends also have a 3DS, etc.

They seem pretty adamant on not buying a Wii U at all, with or without Smash, so I dont think the game being released with ridiculously presumed less features would have helped gain sales. No one has brought up that point yet.

ASuch

The Salt Master
Well, we'll see how both versions perform in sales. However, I can almost bet right now that any large disparity between the two will be because of a "less install base" or "later release, thus the 3DS version got a headstart"

ASuch

The Salt Master
I'm buying both versions, that's for sure. And I usually just use the Vesti because it's convienent, and around this time, there's a ton of people with lots of varying viewpoints. I find it generally somewhat representative of the slightly more mainstream audience of gamers

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm buying both versions, that's for sure. And I usually just use the Vesti because it's convienent, and around this time, there's a ton of people with lots of varying viewpoints. I find it generally somewhat representative of the slightly more mainstream audience of gamers
The problem I have with the Vesti is that they more often than not go with popular opinion, regardless of it being true or not, so I have a tough time taking what most people over there have to say seriously

riotmaker

large signature lol
He showed different modes, and mentioned the two games will have different stages.

And people aren't going to just switch to handhelds if they're used to playing Smash Bros with their friends on home consoles.

At Namco Bandi Studios

Sakurai: Why don't we give Samus more sex appeal? Not lot the Hentai is gonna get any worse, right? Yeah, fuck it. Enlarge the breasts, give her stripper heals, and make her face prettier.

Odo

While you're discussing about 3DS and Wii U versions, I still think that I'll have to buy both. :D

Imagine, just imagine, a Smash Bros waiting for you any time on your 3DS? And it'll be released first and you can't wait for Wii U version.

Nintendo wants my money. :( What should I do?

Ex-Actarus

^If they find a way to hit a $200 price point, or $250 with a game bundle, I think we'll see sales increase dramatically.
It all depends on how much Nintendo can afford to charge for it. Have the cost of the materials decreased enough that they can sell it at a lower price and make a profit? If not, are they willing to sell it at a great loss for the possibility of more sales and thus more game sales?
25o$ with a game or 200$ without. This is the sweet spot for the Wii U.

Nintendo needs to make it happen a way or another even if it means ditching the Gamepad.

Let's not forget that 250$ was the price point for the Wii and it was met with a resounding success.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
^I agree with all of this, except ditching the GamePad. I love the GamePad, and I know my enjoyment of the Wii U wouldn't be the same without it. Before the end of the year, I have a feeling Nintendo will release a game whose experience requires a GamePad and the whole world will go "Ahhh... now I get it."

Edit: FYI - for those that haven't figured it out, I'm also the eternal optimist.

^I agree with all of this, except ditching the GamePad. I love the GamePad, and I know my enjoyment of the Wii U wouldn't be the same without it. Before the end of the year, I have a feeling Nintendo will release a game whose experience requires a GamePad and the whole world will go "Ahhh... now I get it."

Edit: FYI - for those that haven't figured it out, I'm also the eternal optimist.
Well they did it with the Wii...in 2011 with Skyward Sword :p

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
25o$ with a game or 200$ without. This is the sweet spot for the Wii U.

Nintendo needs to make it happen a way or another even if it means ditching the Gamepad.

Let's not forget that 250$ was the price point for the Wii and it was met with a resounding success.
A $250 price point wouldn't do much for the Wii-U. I mean, did the $100 price point for the GameCube help it sell well?

riotmaker

large signature lol
People are willing to try new things that their situation has almost forced them in to.
I don't think a (potentially) six month difference and a $50-$100 dollars would be such a big deal, and warrant how people play Smash Bros, especially since they'll see the Wii U as a machine to play Mario Kart 8 and Zelda on.

riotmaker

large signature lol
Many casual Nintendo fans do.

I still don't see any solid evidence that a 3DS version being released early, and not along with the Wii U version will hurt the Wii U version.

It would've gone the other way, too. People would say two games being released on the two platforms at the same time would hurt sales. Everything is negative.

Haha Check out this guy's enthusiasm

On this one Maybe it's already been noted, but in this screen:

Look at how Charizard's eyes are still tracking where Greninja was, showing how Greninja duped him. He looks shocked! And note how Greninja, while facing forward, is looking back at Charizard... like a boss. It's amazing how much the dynamic expressions add to the game. :)

solitanze

RoboPosterâ„¢
A lot of material was covered during the April 8th 2014 Nintendo Direct so it will interesting to see just how long it takes for the next major character or feature update on the game to arrive. E3 2014 would be the safest bet for the next information blowout (especially about the Wii U version), but i'll still nevertheless be keeping an eye on the working day PoTD updates, just in case another returning character or two or a major game are unveiled before E3 2014.

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking something like the Star Punch but that seems to have been made its way in via the KO Uppercut.

I dont care much for Wireframe Mac, but this inclusion makes me optimistic they'll include Pink Jumpsuit Mac.

solitanze

RoboPosterâ„¢
Yeah, I agree. I was thinking something like the Star Punch but that seems to have been made its way in via the KO Uppercut.

I dont care much for Wireframe Mac, but this inclusion makes me optimistic they'll include Pink Jumpsuit Mac.
As am I, along with the re-done training music possibly featuring in the final game too as both were in Little Macs reveal trailer back in February: