Official Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
yeah, it's not happening. all that talk about "an enjoyable environment blah blah". bogus.
QFT! It freakin sucks for a part of the community that is older with family's, lives or whatever who just wanna hang out with there friends and chat like we do with many other games. It's not like you and I can drive to each other's houses and play with one another. The gamepad has a mic in the gamepad, built in nothing else needed. WTF is it that hard to impliment? I'm not playing games as much for single player anymore, it's much more to hang out with friend and this community. Bogus is a perfect word.

Most of the characters looked pretty interesting but was underwhelmed with what I saw from Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Maybe once people start playing them they may be better.

Little Mac seemed beast. Still not a fan of his final smash but will have that off most of the time anyways.

And Link has been buffed up so I am happy.

I know the majority of this board are pissed, but for me, that direct was awesome and they talked about almost everything I wanted to hear. There were only a few disappointments, but nothing game breaking on my end.

The split releases windows works really well for me. I'll have something to play in the Summer and something to play around Christmas time. No doubt I'll already be in college by Winter so I can't wait for the Smash get together I'll be having. Also really looking forward to the 3DS version in the Summer. Portable Smash is something I've been looking forward to for some time now and it's finally coming (at 60FPS too and in 3D!). Both versions are getting their own unique features as well so I won't feel like I'm buying the game twice. At the same time, I'm intrigued to see what they have in store for connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U. I have some ideas in mind, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Nintendo hasn't exactly been on the ball in terms of hardware connectivity as well as online, which sucks, but nothing game breaking on my end.

On a competitive level, the game is already outclassing Brawl and seemingly Melee (though some people will always prefer Melee). Every is getting it's own "Final Destination" version with no platforms or other gimmicks. That's going to be huge for someone with friends like mine who nearly refuse to play on a stage with gimmicks.

Online is shaping up really well too. We've got internet multiplayer for both Wii U and 3DS, where apparently this time it won't be a lag fest (guess we'll have to wait and see for examples). I can also totally see myself playing on the “For Fun” and “For Glory” modes. Esp. now that online follows NNIDs, that there's a cheat/troll protection system, and a semi-elaborate scoring and new ranking system that takes solo/local stats into account as well. Definitely ups the incentive for me to go online and play.

We've got a plethora of cool new stages, items, and assist trophies, pokemon, as well as new/changed character attacks and maneuvers. From earlier trailers, I was a bit concerned most of these were going to be rehashed from Brawl. Some new movesets even made it into the game. Only one we got details on now is custom move sets for local and online multiplayer, that appear to either completely change attacks or give them different properties.

Smash run for 3DS looks boss. Though I hope the Wii U get's it own exclusive mode else it's really going to look like Nintendo is favoring the handheld over the console version.

As far as new character goes, I've no idea who the hell Greninja (guess he's popular with the kids of today), but he looks OP. Looks like Charzard is also becoming his own character. That CG trailer was pretty epic. Makes me wonder what Nintendo could do with their own TV series or what a modern Subspace Emissary could have looked like.

As far as disappointments go, I kept my expectations low I wasn't in sync with some of the guys in the chat, but yeah, it's disappointing to see Nintendo not even acknowledge Voice Chat and I'm of the opinion it won't be appearing in either Kart or Smash. A simple, "we're exploring voice chat, but we'll have more on that later" would have sufficed, but there wasn't even that. While this feature isn't make it or break it for me, Smash Bros could have been so much more if we were allowed to talk to each other. I'm not talking just as friends, but globally as well. Would have been so live to have a lobby with maybe like 15 - 20 people (4 players, the rest maybe spectate until it's their turn) and having people cheering you on from the side-lines. I don't know what it is why Nintendo isn't taking online to this level, but it sucks and I feel for the guys who rely on this feature to full enjoy their game. It also sucks for people like me who are not going to be walking distance from friends' houses withing the next few months and want to talk and play online with them, but I'll settle for Skype if I have to.

-------------

TL;DR: Loved everything about the Direct. Only disappointment was not acknowledging voice chat. For some people, like me, it's not that big of a deal (as I even turn off my mic in sometimes while playing Most Wanted U with the guys here), but for others, it's game breaking, so it's a shame Nintendo isn't able to compensate for these people with a feature that should have been a system level standard since launch.

Wait, was no voice chat confirmed for Super Smash Bros?
They talked about online a lot, but didn't mention anything about voice chat.

So no confirmation or anything, but I think everyone (including myself) are just worried, if Mario Kart doesn't get it, then I'm guessing Smash won't.

It sucks cause our community when playing online is great, I would like to hear everyone while playing.

As far as how the game might sell launching on Wii U late, honestly, I don't know, but I have hunch it won't even matter. The people who were planning to get it on Wii U are still going to get it on Wii U. If one's reason to play on Wii U is because of that 'big screen' experience, that hasn't changed with the release window being split.

For people like myself who were planning on getting both versions, this works perfectly. Now I don't have to down $100 in one go.

I must say though, the release window for Wii U games this year is looking a big concerning. There's only one game with a confirmed release date and that's Mario Kart 8. Now don't get me wrong, I'll be playing me some Mario Kart for until the end of the generation, but is that is that all I'll have for this year? What about X? Is that getting delayed too? And other than that, what other games are we to expect? Between X, Mario Kart 8, and Smash, that's just 3 games for the entire year. I know we've still got E3, which is going to be live with Zelda being shown off, but Nintendo seriously needs to instill some confidence in not only their investors, but their fanbase as well. I want to be able to expect a good amount of big games each year for Wii U like I can for 3DS.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

So no confirmation or anything, but I think everyone (including myself) are just worried, if Mario Kart doesn't get it, then I'm guessing Smash won't.

It sucks cause our community when playing online is great, I would like to hear everyone while playing.
Oh I see. Well, considering this is Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention it, even if the games do have them. If they don't have 'em, I'll be pissed but, seeing as I still want to play with you guys, by myself, and with my friends and family, I'll still get them either way. It'll just suck if I want to hear all of your sexy voices

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

As far as how the game might sell launching on Wii U late, honestly, I don't know, but I have hunch it won't even matter. The people who were planning to get it on Wii U are still going to get it on Wii U. If one's reason to play on Wii U is because of that 'big screen' experience, that hasn't changed with the release window being split.

For people like myself who were planning on getting both versions, this works perfectly. Now I don't have to down $100 in one go.

I must say though, the release window for Wii U games this year is looking a big concerning. There's only one game with a confirmed release date and that's Mario Kart 8. Now don't get me wrong, I'll be playing me some Mario Kart for until the end of the generation, but is that is that all I'll have for this year? What about X? Is that getting delayed too? And other than that, what other games are we to expect? Between X, Mario Kart 8, and Smash, that's just 3 games for the entire year. I know we've still got E3, which is going to be live with Zelda being shown off, but Nintendo seriously needs to instill some confidence in not only their investors, but their fanbase as well. I want to be able to expect a good amount of big games each year for Wii U like I can for 3DS.

The 3DS has nothing dated either.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No its not confirmed^ It was just never discussed.

But fuck it, Nintendo's going all out, they're giving us reasons to buy the 3DS version AND the WiiU Verison and spacing them out AND releasing the WiiU version right before Black Friday. ACE.
That's a big assumption. For all we know, "Winter" could mean February like with Brawl.

Can I just say how much I enjoy Samus' boots? Like, it's kinda based on the fact that Other M Samus wore stupid high heels for no goddamn reason, but at least now its not a part of the Zero Suit and it has practical use.

Seeing her screens, she has a Bayonetta feel to her, I think it'd be funny if she had a Bayonetta cosplay costume as well. Or if Bayonetta is an entire new character, but that's way too unlikely.

still holding out hope that mic chat will be a go for at least friends only mode, which they didnt go into at all. Got a long way to find out so whatever.

The 3DS has nothing dated either.
Only because it wasn't a long time since we got games. In a span of 3 months, we got 3 big releases. Bravely Default, Yoshi's New Island, and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy.

On Wii U? Well, we got Cranky Kong.

And besides, 3DS is coming back from having a huge year. I think it's totally okay if this year for the system is a little lighter.

No way they let it slip to 2015. Unless they announce some big hitters this E3 and bring those out in Fall.
And the only thing I can even think of thats on that level is Zelda and I dont see that happening.

This was the best Direct Ever in terms of content and format.

I hope Nintendo sticks to this format.

And man, I have so much respect for Sakurai.

He understands fans so well.

This was 100% pure fan service.

Loved it !!!
This x10. This Direct felt like it was truly for the fans. You could tell this was a direct from a fellow gaming enthusiast rather than from a company exec, and Iwata already does a pretty decent job appealing to fans, but at the end of the day, Sakurai's the one who's already known to be someone who plays many games on various platforms.

Not a huge smash fan, but I thought it was nice that some features were for the competitive crowd.
"yer talkin outta ya ass! :mad:"

All joking aside, yeah, I think they just spawned a whole new competitive scene with the score and ranking system. I'd still like to reserve my judgement for when I actually see it in action, but online is shaping up quite nicely aside from the lack of voice chat. Esp. since online on Wii was a diappointment.

As for old-school competitive scene (local play), I think Nintendo should bring a few popular competitive smash players on stage or on the showfloor at E3 to showcase and basically "approve" the game as viable for competitive play.

ASuch

The Salt Master
Sakurai was trolly as fuck, holy shit lol

Overall, fantastic Direct, my only gripe was that with the release date so close, they haven't announced many more new characters

Also, too many Pokemon fighters IMO, I couldn't get excited for Greninja

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Sakurai was trolly as fuck, holy shit lol

Overall, fantastic Direct, my only gripe was that with the release date so close, they haven't announced many more new characters

Also, too many Pokemon fighters IMO, I couldn't get excited for Greninja
It's the same number as there was for previous Super Smash Bros. Personally, this is the first Pokemon character I'm actually excited for. I didn't particularly like any of the others

Yeah, it was a great direct. It got me excited for it, and I like the changes. I've been down lately so pardon me for talking about voice chat a lot.

It is gonna be weird after the 3DS version comes out though. Since the roster is the same, we're not gonna have those types of surprises anymore. Sure new courses and new possible modes, but I'm confident I'm not alone when I say finding out who is in it is the most exciting announcements. I also expect the mechanics to be the same on both systems, so yeah, between summer and winter we're just gonna be waiting for the U version essentially knowing what it's gonna be like.

Oh well. Dat Mega Man final smash

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Loving these vibes. You planning on getting both versions?
Unless I decide to pick up a 3DS XL as a result of Smash Bros (and other games), Wii U version is the one I'm getting. I've been deciding against a 3DS for the longest time because with my PC Gaming plans, eventual PS4 purchase, on top of my Wii U and PS3 games, I simply don't have the time to play it all. I'll be spreading myself thin enough as it is with PC Gaming included. PS4 will be slightly different as by the time I get it, hopefully a lot of the PS3 games I already own I can play via PS Now.

In summary, 3DS is not in the cards right now.

ZyroXZ2

After all is said and done, they said the Wii U version would be Winter 2014.

The season of Winter in 2014 starts on December 21st. Soooo... Smash Bros for Wii U has to release within 10 days of the start of Winter, or my early 2015 prediction ends up correct anyway, hahaha ;)

Hey, if more time means a better game (and this is Sakurai we're talking about), I'm all for it.

Sakurai doesn't bullshit. When he said the wait for this direct was going to be worthwhile, it was worthwhile. So I imagine so will the wait for the Wii U version.