Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I just realized that if you say, "Heart Piece" pretty fast, it almost sounds like you're saying, "herpes."
Wait, all these years when I thought Link was collecting Herpes from around Hyule, it was Heart Piece?
Now him collecting moldy mushrooms makes so much less sense in A Link to the Past. I thought he was making Penicillin.
World shook.

Goodtwin

I have some time to kill while Zelda downloads. I am honestly surprised at just how severe the performance issues are in docked mode. I honestly thought they were getting blown out of proportion, but DF's video is pretty clear, the game dips quite a bit, and pretty often docked. They don't seem to believe this is really a hardware performance issue, but entirely software. The drops aren't predictable, and aren't consistent. I normally wouldn't expect a big performance patch, but after seeing this I would be shocked if Nintendo doesn't address it. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Wii U build doesn't outperform the Switch docked performance. Their is a gremlin in the pipeline, and Nintendo needs to find it. There is no reason for portable mode to run a nearly locked 30 and docked has issues. I may end up playing this game more portable than docked if the framerate annoys me enough. At the very least, I would like to see Nintendo patch in an option to play at 720p. Outside of resolution, texture filtering seems to be the only advantage docked has over portable. So all in all, this looks to be a pretty straight forward Wii U port with little "if any" improvements over the Wii U build. I say if any because if 900p comes at the expense of framerate, its not an improvement. If your looking for a game that really shows some technical prowess of your shiny new hardware, I think Fast RMX is really your only option for a technical showpiece.

sjmartin79

I honestly haven't seen significant performance dips in BotW, and any I saw were mild and rare.

Or if I'm seeing them, they aren't affecting me or my gameplay.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
There are frame hitches on Wii U, as well, but for the worst of them, I've pretty much had to go look for them. You get behind a piece of lush vegetation against a wall looking out over a vista with grass blowing in the air, sure, there are some hiccups. Same way as I can cause hiccups when I would get behind a portal in Prime 2. It is frame-ier than the HD remasters for WW and HD, and the damage frames can seem a touch pronounced. But no, these are not that big a deal.

The visuals are better in person than any youtube video could possibly convey. This art is exquisite.

And the sound design is perhaps the best of any game I have ever played. Every surface, every breeze, every step, it all feels alive.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I have some time to kill while Zelda downloads. I am honestly surprised at just how severe the performance issues are in docked mode. I honestly thought they were getting blown out of proportion, but DF's video is pretty clear, the game dips quite a bit, and pretty often docked. They don't seem to believe this is really a hardware performance issue, but entirely software. The drops aren't predictable, and aren't consistent. I normally wouldn't expect a big performance patch, but after seeing this I would be shocked if Nintendo doesn't address it. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Wii U build doesn't outperform the Switch docked performance. Their is a gremlin in the pipeline, and Nintendo needs to find it. There is no reason for portable mode to run a nearly locked 30 and docked has issues. I may end up playing this game more portable than docked if the framerate annoys me enough. At the very least, I would like to see Nintendo patch in an option to play at 720p. Outside of resolution, texture filtering seems to be the only advantage docked has over portable. So all in all, this looks to be a pretty straight forward Wii U port with little "if any" improvements over the Wii U build. I say if any because if 900p comes at the expense of framerate, its not an improvement. If your looking for a game that really shows some technical prowess of your shiny new hardware, I think Fast RMX is really your only option for a technical showpiece.
One of the things DF didn't really talk about much was why the framerate drops were happening. Sure, they mentioned how they were odd, or quite strange, but they never did go into too much detail of why it was doing this, especially when you consider the docked mode has the GPU bump in clock speed. I suppose it's entirely possible that the added clock speed is doing something to the code, and maybe it's trying to stream more data at once than necessary, and thus is causing the drops. I think they were onto something concerning a possible streaming issue, because that's the only thing I can think of.

Maybe there's an issue of culling, and perhaps the added clock speed is interfering with that. I think Nintendo are looking into it though, and like the joy-con issue, they'll be putting forth a patch. Another thing I just thought of is up until now, Nintendo has never dealt with multiple hardware specs in this fashion. It's always been one hardware spec, and done, but with the Switch, it complicates the development cycle more I think because depending on how the game code is designed and processed, different things can cause weird stuff to happen. It's no different than PC gamers having issues with certain GPUs or CPUs, and yet they might be of the same power spec on paper. I'm willing to bet there's something underlying that Nintendo hasn't really dealt with before in this fashion.

Do the frame rate drops suck? Well, they certainly don't paint a pretty picture when I'm watching a video of the game, but if I am the one actually playing the game, my concentration might be focused elsewhere other than how good the game runs. I am curious though how the Wii U version will stack up, because I'm looking into getting that version, so we'll see I guess.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've only encountered that framedrop issue once, in the exact same place from the DF video. It's around the winding path that leads down from the Temple of Time, I think. I've gone off the Plateau for a while now, and haven't noticed any more drops. I'm playing in docked mode.

Goodtwin

I notice the drops, but it's not as offputing as I expected.

I have played about 4 hours so far, and this game doesn't dissapoint. I feel so relaxed playing this game. Normally I have a sense of urgency to progress through the main quest, but I have really enjoyed exploring and gathering supplies. Cooking has been good fun. Sometimes games get too much hype, and can't meet expectations, this is not one of those times. Even without the main story, this would be a kick ass game.

Anyone else playing with the joy cons detached? I haven used the grip at all.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Cubits

Quick thoughts:

1) The splash sound when link dives into water is the best one i've ever heard in a game. They built on Splatoon, which was the former king of wet sounds.

2) The environmental audio in general is amazing. The rush of wind, the "woo-hoo" owls/pigeons, the distant grunts of bokoblins. This is a world which feels like it has air, and isn't just a collection of geological models floating in space (a serious problem i find, in particular, in racing games).

3) The squeals as a bokoblin ragdoll flies through the air. I don't know why it gives me such satisfaction. Countless other games have had fun/funny ragdoll physics (dark souls!), but adding the howls makes it much more enjoyable!

4) Every time i try to bend the rules of the world, Nintendo has been there first! If you can think of it, you can do it, to the point where you can utterly trivialise some of the puzzle dungeons with enough ingenuity.

5) The fainting goat animation is great, as is everything about the bokoblin skeletons.

This is a good game.

EvilTw1n

The first time I died, I was one-shotted.

By a Bokoblin.

Granted, of the stronger blue variety, but still.

I thought the reviewers were shitting me. Nope. This is a legitimately tough game. You can't just walk in and shield bash your way through an encampment of enemies. You have to plan ahead. I'm going into battles thinking of exit routes, just in case.
1) The splash sound when link dives into water is the best one i've ever heard in a game. They built on Splatoon, which was the former king of wet sounds.

2) The environmental audio in general is amazing. The rush of wind, the "woo-hoo" owls/pigeons, the distant grunts of bokoblins. This is a world which feels like it has air, and isn't just a collection of geological models floating in space (a serious problem i find, in particular, in racing games).
For a game without a soundtrack to speak of, this is still the best audio design I think I've ever heard in a game. Whoever the audio engineers are for this game weren't paid enough. I'm not even using a great soundbar, but the wind gusting, leaves rustling, grass swaying, water splashing...the patter of feet, clop of hooves, smack of clubs...so damn good. I never thought that the game that's giving Ghibli anime a run for its money in art would leave me awe-inspired by its sound, but yup, that's where I am.
Gah... I'm almost considering buying a WiiU so that I can play Zelda in a timely manner.
I'd bet there will be Switch shipments in by next week. That said...right now I'm not regretting buying this on Wii U. It's the only game I'd want a Switch for until the summer.
I've only encountered that framedrop issue once, in the exact same place from the DF video. It's around the winding path that leads down from the Temple of Time, I think. I've gone off the Plateau for a while now, and haven't noticed any more drops. I'm playing in docked mode.
There are more. At least in the Wii U build. Depends on where you've gone, I'd imagine. It's never terribly distracting. But it does pop up in odd locations you wouldn't expect, like that path to ToT. Almost like there's an invisible zone load or something. Because you move along to a bigger area with more enemies, and there are no issues.
I have played about 4 hours so far, and this game doesn't dissapoint. I feel so relaxed playing this game. Normally I have a sense of urgency to progress through the main quest, but I have really enjoyed exploring and gathering supplies. Cooking has been good fun. Sometimes games get too much hype, and can't meet expectations, this is not one of those times. Even without the main story, this would be a kick ass game.
As soon as the plot kicked into gear, I had to follow it. But yeah, you can spend hours gathering apples or mushrooms, raiding encampments and stealing meat, cooking around a fire.

Part of that relaxation is the sound design, man. Nintendo should have sold this thing with an intermittent fan that kicks on everytime there's a breeze.

Last edited:

Cubits

Also, the Guardian amiibo is totally baller! It's easily the best amiibo out there (sorry Poochie, you've been dethroned!), and it's currently classing up my office nicely.

They're badasses in and out of the game!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Quick thoughts:

3) The squeals as a bokoblin ragdoll flies through the air. I don't know why it gives me such satisfaction. Countless other games have had fun/funny ragdoll physics (dark souls!), but adding the howls makes it much more enjoyable!

4) Every time i try to bend the rules of the world, Nintendo has been there first! If you can think of it, you can do it, to the point where you can utterly trivialise some of the puzzle dungeons with enough ingenuity.

5) The fainting goat animation is great, as is everything about the bokoblin skeletons.

This is a good game.
On point 4 I am alittle disappointed I tried to bend the rules and it didn't work.

So there were some Bobgonlins in a tree on a platform. I studied on it for awhile and thought "if Nintendo let's me do this it will be the greatest game ever."

They were on wooden platforms I could walk underneither. So I went to there campfire and lit a torch. I tried to set the whole structure on fire, placing the torch on banners, on the tree, on the structure itself, stood there for awhile trying to let it catch. Nothing! I was severely disappointed.

Other than that and that minor. Game is off the hook and I'm only a few hours in.

Playing this game and exploring the open world, I can feel Monolith's influence. I spent a half hour-hour just climbing a mountain. It started raining which made the rock face more slippery so Link kept sliding down a bit. It really has that feeling of you have to figure out how progress if you want to deviate from the main path.

The shrines are cool too.

I also got so many fucking game overs from this. Part of it is my problem. I've been playing so much Devil May Cry lately that I'm use to attack by pressing the top button. So here I sometimes sprint into an enemy when I try to attack him. I'm also getting use to the idea of Zelda having a jump button, so I fell off a few cliffs to say the least.

Also trying to explore and getting one shoot by a giant. Yeah, Monolith definitely worked on this game alright.

I love it all the same. I honestly think I'm most excited for the story this time around though.

Koenig

The Architect
SO my roomate and I have been playing Zelda in bro player mode: Each of us has one of the two joycons and coordinate our efforts to control Link! So far we have actually died less than our single player efforts...

Shoulder

One thing I can safely say just based on the comparison videos between Switch and Wii U, Nintendo intentionally wanted parity between both versions as to not give Wii U owners the shaft. It's another Twilight Princess ordeal, but that's not exactly a bad thing though. It means that whether you have Wii U or Switch, you'll still get the same overall experience. Sure, the Switch uses 900p resolution compared to the Wii U's 720p, but even the frame rate drops appear to be about the same in terms of frequency. I think Nintendo could have easily have done more for the Switch version, but at the expense of not pleasing Wii U owners. It's obvious that Nintendo wants Wii U owners to buy a Switch, but I have to give them credit for at least sticking with it, and launching the Wii U version as well.

The way I look at it, not only is Breath of the Wild looking to be a very good launch title on the likes of Super Mario 64 on the N64, but it can also be a one of the best send off's for one of Nintendo's own systems ever. I am seriously considering on picking it up for Wii U if not for posterity reasons, and giving the little console that could (or couldn't if you want to be that way) a final send off.

One thing I can safely say just based on the comparison videos between Switch and Wii U, Nintendo intentionally wanted parity between both versions as to not give Wii U owners the shaft. It's another Twilight Princess ordeal, but that's not exactly a bad thing though. It means that whether you have Wii U or Switch, you'll still get the same overall experience. Sure, the Switch uses 900p resolution compared to the Wii U's 720p, but even the frame rate drops appear to be about the same in terms of frequency. I think Nintendo could have easily have done more for the Switch version, but at the expense of not pleasing Wii U owners. It's obvious that Nintendo wants Wii U owners to buy a Switch, but I have to give them credit for at least sticking with it, and launching the Wii U version as well.

The way I look at it, not only is Breath of the Wild looking to be a very good launch title on the likes of Super Mario 64 on the N64, but it can also be a one of the best send off's for one of Nintendo's own systems ever. I am seriously considering on picking it up for Wii U if not for posterity reasons, and giving the little console that could (or couldn't if you want to be that way) a final send off.
That's another way I look at it. Been waiting for "Zelda U" for years now, it would feel weird to not get it. It also feels weird to have a Nintendo system without a new Zelda game on it.

Goodtwin

The game looks much better portable than on my tv. Docked has better texture filtering, and yet it looks much more seamless portable. Performance is also much much better. I still like playing docked, but am going to play portable on all my lunch breaks this week.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
The game looks much better portable than on my tv. Docked has better texture filtering, and yet it looks much more seamless portable. Performance is also much much better. I still like playing docked, but am going to play portable on all my lunch breaks this week.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
have you re-docked after leaving the plateau... for some reason that escapes me (because the game is even more gorgeous off the plateau) the performance improves a lot when you go into the wider world

Goodtwin

have you re-docked after leaving the plateau... for some reason that escapes me (because the game is even more gorgeous off the plateau) the performance improves a lot when you go into the wider world
I have, and performance issues came up a lot in faron woods, and portable was nearly flawless in the same area.

sjmartin79

So, after having a 3 day weekend, I'm back at work, and with every fiber of my being, I'd rather be home still playing BotW.
I'm taking forever with that game. Exploring, searching, methodical, no stone left unturned type of thing. After the Great Plateau, I have yet to move beyond the next two map sections. Loving every second of it though.

It's amazing to me that each person will have an entirely different play experience. Just with Steve2 and I, we are going about the game differently.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
still very early in the game, and taking my time... and I definitely have some issues with the game (the camera for 1).... but it is kind of crazy, this might be the best game of all time... i mean for real... as I get further in the game I am just blown away by how real the world is, how polished the gameplay (besides the camera) is, how consistently gorgeous and awe inspiring the visuals are.... and the towns... easily the best towns and townfolk of any zelda ever... EASILY....

there is still so much to do and play.... but that realization has just started to hit me, that this might be the best game ever made....

for perspective, though I love zelda, a zelda game has NEVER been in my top 3... atleast not since lttp first came out... my number 1 game of all time is super metroid.... after that it is probably my jrpg 3-way tie (final fantasy 6, shadow hearts 2, xenogears)

but seriously... this might be better than all of those

I will say right now, unless something changes horribly, this is EASILY the best zelda ever

and that kind of shocks me... I never thought lttp would be overtaken in my mind...

as much as I lvoed the idea of a zelda with a huge open world I had concerns, mostly about story, characters, towns, the more rpg-esque elements that zelda games just have never gotten completely right... the closest were lttp and majora's mask... but even they were lacking when compared too real rpgs like ff6... but this is not the case with botw... I feared this would be the least personality of any zelda game as a constraint of the large open world... but instead it has the msot personality of any zelda AND a huge open world... that truly feels alive....

I have been taken a bunch of screens of the game I need to start posting them here, but I have to post to twitter first, then download and re-upload.... I wish I could just have an online folder for switch screenshots that I could instantly share.... or better yet, just have it pair with google drive so that whenever I take a screenshot it automatically uploads to drive

I sat for like 30 minutes the other day watching lightning and taking pics, trying to get a good one...

I was just mesmerized the whole time

EvilTw1n

One thing I've noticed is how much Nintendo used ALBW and SS as the proving ground for the ideas in this game. Starting in a central hub with a stamina meter, and you have to jump down into an overworld in which some of the puzzle-y Zelda design is there outside of dungeons? SS. Guidance by faraway voice and tackling the game in your own order due to furnishing integral items from the start? ALBW. Then you marry that to the sort of exploration the series hasn't had since 1986.

For as much as people see hallmarks from other modern games (a Platinum-y dodge, a tower to look over the world like Ubi, difficulty like a diet-Souls game, etc.), it's pretty clever to see what Nintendo kept intact. It's almost like they were building to this moment, brick by brick.

Shoulder

One thing I've noticed is how much Nintendo used ALBW and SS as the proving ground for the ideas in this game. Starting in a central hub with a stamina meter, and you have to jump down into an overworld in which some of the puzzle-y Zelda design is there outside of dungeons? SS. Guidance by faraway voice and tackling the game in your own order due to furnishing integral items from the start? ALBW. Then you marry that to the sort of exploration the series hasn't had since 1986.

For as much as people see hallmarks from other modern games (a Platinum-y dodge, a tower to look over the world like Ubi, difficulty like a diet-Souls game, etc.), it's pretty clever to see what Nintendo kept intact. It's almost like they were building to this moment, brick by brick.
So based on your initial impressions then, it sounds like this is one of the most complete Zelda games ever made?

EvilTw1n

So based on your initial impressions then, it sounds like this is one of the most complete Zelda games ever made?
Depends on how you like your Zelda. There are a bunch of reviews that say "this is the type of world Ocarina tried to provide," but I don't quite agree. That type of game world - open, but zone segmented and feeling somewhat linear, with little reason to backtrack to prior areas - was pretty much done (and IMO, done quite well) in a modern approximation in Twilight Princess, complete with dual world theme and dungeon-items-as-keys. I'd argue for TP to be the "most complete" of the N64-derived Zelda template games.

BotW is something different. It's a new template for a 3D Zelda design (lifted in large part from the 2D original). In creating it, they edited out* some of the things we assumed were quintessentially Zelda. What is really clever is that they pilfered all of the non-traditional experimental stuff and expounded upon those elements.

It's sort of the complete 3D version of the original 2D design. But in doing that, it shelves away some of the 3D OoT conventions.

(Some of the design elements they kept, though, are really cleverly edited. Like cutting grass to find rupees or hearts. You don't do that here. Instead, you find a fairy occasionally, which is more useful due to the more difficult combat. You find materials you could sell for rupees instead of just finding them.)

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can spend two hours writing about how absolutely freaking incredible this game is, after about 45 hours of play time.

Or I can go put in another 15 hours today. Sorry TNE.

This is Final Fantasy 15 all over again.

There a few very minor things that kinda piss me off but they're drops in the bucket.

Just did my first dungeon, I found it underwhelming despite being stuck and really having to use my noodle. It was satisfying, but...I don't know. Can't put it into words. I liked it but it just felt like an extension of the shrines rather than a full-out Zelda dungeon.

Guess I did put it into words.