Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Found this gem on Reddit:

Link's expression looks of being rather annoyed. I think he senses his job is about to get quite hard from this point on.

Koenig

The Architect
I get the feeling ill get burned at the stake, but I do feel that this game does have a number of limitations that hold it back from being in the top 10 games of all time. A lot of the criticisms of the game and its (lack) of certain features are valid, although the game as the whole is still very fun.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
People talkin crazy, always gonna be crazy.

I'll tell you the real criticism. It's had a super negative impact on my sleep, not being about to get anything but BotW into my mental space, and there not being enough hours in the day for me to play as much as I would like.

Outside of those the game is perfection to me.

jeezus this guy is so pissy about the weapon system. Clearly hasnt taken the time to get lost in the world and find nooks and enemies that just drop goodies. Whats worse is that people just eat it up and spread the lie. Oh well.
I stopped worrying about the weapon degradation after realizing I had like 5 royal great swords with durability up filling my inventory. Everything's replaceable, and easily if you care to look. Also arrows.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
As much as I am loving the game there are a few things I'm a bit disappointed in. A bit. I don't think it'll top my favorite of the series, but it didn't ever need to to be a great game in it's own right.

At the rate I'm going I'll probably be done this week or weekend (well, the main story anyways).
really? it is already my favorite of the franchise (unless it changes for the worse) beating out lttp... right now the debtae in my head is if it is better than super metroid, my top game of all time... right now, I am thinking yes

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I knew who the reviewer was before you said it. Sterling has a knack for not knowing what buttons do in games.
I had a feeling you might. I knew who the score belonged to before even looking at the site from whence it came.
@EvilTw1n brought up voice acting... so far I have found the voice acting better than I originally thought it would be.... I mean the japanese voices are better, but they aren't BAD... except the deku tree, the voice for the deku tree does not in any way match... it is almost like they just pulled in some tester at treehouse and had him voice the character. every time the deku tree talked I felt a huge disconnect

it is like the first time you hear David Beckham actually speak
I was waiting to cringe hard at the voice acting, ever since I heard the English version of the last trailer ("the history of Hyrule..." sounded so damn trope-tastic, but in the game connected to the character and the visual of them...it works). But overall? It's OK. Not necessarily great, but OK.

But this is one of the things I'm a stickler for with other reviewers. Don't tell me you play COD "most for its narrative campaign" and then dock points here because you think the story and characterization is somehow shallow. One standard will do, y'know?
As much as I am loving the game there are a few things I'm a bit disappointed in. A bit. I don't think it'll top my favorite of the series, but it didn't ever need to to be a great game in it's own right.
I felt the same way early on...that this was a masterpiece of a game, but not necessarily my favorite Zelda. But it keeps growing on me.
I get the feeling ill get burned at the stake, but I do feel that this game does have a number of limitations that hold it back from being in the top 10 games of all time. A lot of the criticisms of the game and its (lack) of certain features are valid, although the game as the whole is still very fun.
No, not at all. A top 10 of all time list is hard to crack.
All because of two f**ktards who had it out for the game and have reviews filled with biases and untruths.
Oh well, History will be quite kind to BotW.
All reviewers are going to have some bias. It's just a matter of keeping your own bias in check when considering the whole. If racing sims aren't your thing, you can't review it under the same lens as your favorite JRPG. That's the whole point of scoring games; as much as people bemoan scores, scoring systems are there to give a shorthand summation of quality based on actual editorial standards. When you slide your standards - "hey, I can't be bothered to skip a cut scene by pressing a button" - then your final product suffers. You're telling us more about yourself as a person ("I can't not go into a shrine!") than you're telling us anything about the game. It's not about "wrong" opinions, it's simply about keeping your personal bias and ego in check. No one reads a review to learn about the reviewer's own impulse control issues - that isn't journalism, it's a diary.

I'm not condoning people going after Sterling's site*, btw. That's just silly. You don't make "bad" opinions go away. If an argument has holes in it - and Jim's is Swiss cheese in parts - then you provide a counterpoint of why that is. The Zelda fans crashing his site are an embarrassment of impotent fanboy rage.

Anyways...I didn't mean to make the thread go off on a tangent. Really, this is just step one of the Zelda cycle. A Zelda is always released to acclaim, gets backlash from some of the fan illuminati, becomes the black sheep, and is then redeemed once the next game is released. I guess it's Skyward Sword's turn to not suck anymore.

Although I will go after the author there at Polygon. If Sterling "has forgotten more than I know about more games than I have ever played," then dude must have never picked up a controller in his life. Sterling is bright, but he is no more an authority with gaming experience than any other person who can play a videogame and write about it. Christ, we have some people here with 20-30 years experience playing videogames, and they're damn good writers (that and a few dimes might buy you a used condom). And none of them bother with Jim's faux-pompous charade, which grew stale and boring about 5 minutes after he started it, to boot.

Last edited:

theMightyME

jeezus this guy is so pissy about the weapon system. Clearly hasnt taken the time to get lost in the world and find nooks and enemies that just drop goodies. Whats worse is that people just eat it up and spread the lie. Oh well.
I stopped worrying about the weapon degradation after realizing I had like 5 royal great swords with durability up filling my inventory. Everything's replaceable, and easily if you care to look. Also arrows.
also, once you get
the master sword
you have a weapon that will never break, it occasionally runs out of energy and you have to use something else, but it doesn't take long at all for it to be usable again...

I think arlo nailed the argument in favor of brittle weapons
it forces you to explore options and methods you wouldn't normally try

it is smart design

that's the thing, we keep saying "wow you can do anything in this game" as if that is the impressive thing... no, it is the design language that is impressive, it is that you KNOW if you go to the peak of a mountain you will find SOMETHING, that if you see circular formation on a map there is probably something in the middle of that circle...
that is what is impressive, how nintendo made such a massive expansive environment manageable with design logic... that is a massive leap over most open world game designs

every limitation in the game is part of the game... an initial limited inventory forces you to learn how to manage your inventory, brittle weapons force you to try other weapon types, lightning forces you to try different weapon types too, you can explore freely by climbing, but the stamina meter makes you note the layout of the map and plan your moves, rain stops you from climbing which forces you to, at times, take the actual planned route...

ALL of that is part of the design, and it is an amazing f'n design... other open world games that don't limit you at all are just lazy designs, nintendo isn't lazy with their game design...

EvilTw1n

I think arlo nailed the argument in favor of brittle weapons; it forces you to explore options and methods you wouldn't normally try

it is smart design
Folks can debate whether it's their preferred bag or not, but I don't think there's any way in getting around the idea that BotW was designed with this in mind (the same way that some people may not like limited ammo in a survival game - it doesn't mean there's anything broken in the game; it's a design choice). I was frustrated with it early on, too, thinking "but I liked that weapon and now it's gone!"

But the game soon taught me how silly that idea was. There are a few rare weapons worth holding onto for a special occasion, but for the most part, you're always going to come across a suitable replacement weapon within a couple of minutes. BotW's weapons are meant to be disposable as a combat strategy, in the same way that you have to sharpen blades in Monster Hunter.

Basically Zelda games to me have a few areas I look at. When I play Zelda I'm looking for dungeons, story/characters, side quests and exploration. Personally, I think Majora has the best balance of all these areas.

BotW is king in exploration, but it doesn't have that balance like Majora does. I'm 3 dungeons into BotW now and, well I guess I'll spoil this, even though I won't cover the story, I'll talk a bit about the pacing and whatnot.
Love the backstory and the memories, but the actual "present day" story is a bit lacking imo. Zora's Domain part was good, but Rito's Village was really quick and didn't have much to it. Some villages like Kakariko have some strong side quests that flesh out the characters and all that, but I want to see more of that.

I really do love how the world of Hyrule can tell it's story through visuals. Seeing a graveyard of Guardians trying to breach a wall is really well done.

In Majora though, everything kinda fed into each other. The main plot involved the end of the world, all the side characters talked about it, the side quests fleshed them out and the exploration always led to discoveries and whatnot. Termina to this day is still my favorite game world. I wasn't that big a fan of Majora when it first came out but it grew on me more and more as I got older.

I believe I said this as well, but the main dungeons themselves could have been better too. They're great for sure, but they feel like slightly bigger shrines. I love the map feature, and I hate sounding like I want the same thing over and over (I don't) but I do miss the multi-leveled dungeons you can get lost in searching for keys and whatnot. A minor gripe though.

BotW is still stellar, fuck I got more than 75 hours put into it. I just want to see more examples of Kakariko Village. It still has that Zelda charm despite it being a bit more serious, and I'll always love the quirky characters.

It also doesn't help that BotW just came out last week. I'm interested to see how I'll feel about it weeks, months and years after I beat it. I'm caught up in the hype of the first playthrough where as Majora is 17 years old.

At this point I think it's safe to say Zelda is my number 1 franchise. When you have as many good games as this series does, you gotta get pretty nitpicky when deciding what's your favorite. To me it all comes down to that balance while doing it's own thing too.

It's been awhile since I last played Majora, I think in the next month of two I'll fire up the n64 and give it a go.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Even the rarest weapons are replaceable.
It's funny doing shrines post-game, because I'm getting some silly reward like a thunder spear that I don't have space for so I have to throw away one of my 15 elemental weapons that I just picked up from the Coliseum.

Koenig

The Architect
Again, my biggest "Complaints" with the game are not actually flaws with the game itself, but missing features or touches that accumulate as lost opportunities. Still damn good though; I just ventured to what ill nick-name Survivor Island , those of your have found likely know what I mean.

theMightyME

Folks can debate whether it's their preferred bag or not, but I don't think there's any way in getting around the idea that BotW was designed with this in mind (the same way that some people may not like limited ammo in a survival game - it doesn't mean there's anything broken in the game; it's a design choice). I was frustrated with it early on, too, thinking "but I liked that weapon and now it's gone!"

But the game soon taught me how silly that idea was. There are a few rare weapons worth holding onto for a special occasion, but for the most part, you're always going to come across a suitable replacement weapon within a couple of minutes. BotW's weapons are meant to be disposable as a combat strategy, in the same way that you have to sharpen blades in Monster Hunter.
the master sword alleviates much of that stress, it regenerates in like 8 minutes, so I usually start with it, then move on to my worst weapons (which are still good) I'll bust a few of those, and then my master sword will be back to normal... and in the time I busted a few of those weapons I'll have found like 20 more.... most just left on the field...

also, when you get a house you can store 3 swords, 3 shields, and 3 bows... so if you have a weapon you really want to save, you can store it there

I wish I could store like 3 more... just so I could always keep fire, ice, and lightning rods as well as 3 or so guardian weapons... in fact maybe having some sort of a weapons bank would have been a good move... maybe if they had a guy at the stables, and you could call them up from any stable like your horses

there are several weapons in my inventory that I try to avoid using, I wish I could store them elsewhere

theMightyME

Again, my biggest "Complaints" with the game are not actually flaws with the game itself, but missing features or touches that accumulate as lost opportunities. Still damn good though; I just ventured to what ill nick-name Survivor Island , those of your have found likely know what I mean.
I reloaded a save file there because I freaked out that I wouldn't get my stuff back until I beat it, and I had other goals

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
really? it is already my favorite of the franchise (unless it changes for the worse) beating out lttp... right now the debtae in my head is if it is better than super metroid, my top game of all time... right now, I am thinking yes
I'm waiting till the end of the game to see whether it will be my favorite of the franchise. It will be between this and LttP - Which is also my favorite game of all time. So, yes, BotW is blowing away my expectations, and though I'm going slow and steady through the game, I'm never bored, constantly amazed, and in zero rush to finish the game.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
BotW should come with warnings like meds.

Bored in your gamin life? Just not feeling that connected feeling that you so disire from your gamin relationship?........well there is now hope with LoZ : BotW! Put the adventure back in adventuring, will being totally curious in your exploration of every crevasse. Put the ease of excitement back in you're gaming life now!

"Please ask your local game store if playing BotW is right for you".

*sideeffects for playing BotW may include lack of sleep, lack of desire in human interaction, lack of excitement from nature outside, grogginess, extremely mental and physical fatigue, extremely limited mental space for anything else, delusions of actually being Link*

Odo

It's 17th now.

From that list of the 20 best games, take a look at this:

1990's

Zelda Ocarina of Time
SoulCalibur

2000's

GTAIII
GTAIV
Super Mario Galaxy
Perfect Dark
Metroid Prime
TH Pro Skater 2
TH Pro Skater 3
NFL2K1
Half-Life 2
Halo: Combat Evolved

2010's

Super Mario Galaxy 2
GTAV
Zelda Breath of the Wild

Koenig

The Architect
Does anyone know where to find the
Rubber
Armor? I have two of the three pieces, but I cannot seem to find the shrine with the third.

theMightyME

Does anyone know where to find the
Rubber
Armor? I have two of the three pieces, but I cannot seem to find the shrine with the third.
I only know that the tunic is where that thunder puzzle is where there is always thunder and you need to place 4 orbs... After finishing that a shrine opens and the rubber armor is in there

EvilTw1n

*sideeffects for playing BotW may include lack of sleep...
I got a rare snow day yesterday. First not-holiday day off since August. I was ready to mainline some BotW.

But I couldn't. My body shut me down. All of these 2 or 3 am gaming nights finally caught up to me, and my body wasn't having any more shenanigans. Literally slept all day.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I got a rare snow day yesterday. First not-holiday day off since August. I was ready to mainline some BotW.

But I couldn't. My body shut me down. All of these 2 or 3 am gaming nights finally caught up to me, and my body wasn't having any more shenanigans. Literally slept all day.
Feels. So you know I have had the past 2 days off. The "days" have been filled with recovery. I haven't played near as much as I would like..........much like yours my body said "nope nope nope".

I hope you enjoyed your catch-up day ET.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
How much freaking flint do I have to spend to get the blood moon?? I've passed like 10 nights here (from new moon to full moon and back), and nothing. Is it completely random?

theMightyME

How much freaking flint do I have to spend to get the blood moon?? I've passed like 10 nights here (from new moon to full moon and back), and nothing. Is it completely random?
yeah.... I have had like 10 of them in 1 play session, in then like 1 in another equal length session

the blood moon is either random, or has a glitch

Koenig

The Architect
I suspect the blood moon is also based on the number of enemies you have slain, so it might not be tied exclusively to the time you spend in game; if almost no enemies are dead why bother doing a respawn event? In regards to using fires to pass the time though, I am fairly certain you can use any lit cooking location without having to use flint; likewise if you have already...
purchased your own house,
you can use the bed there to pass the time for free as well.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
When the Switch came out, Steve2 and I played BotW for almost 72 hours straight (subtract 21 hours for sleep from that total). We still play it every evening and when we can on weekend. Even with all that playtime, I still have a strong desire to take multiple days off work and just keep playing non-stop.
There have been many games over the years that I've been drawn to and want to play a lot, but it's been awhile since I've had a game that has made me go "all in" like this.

theMightyME

I suspect the blood moon is also based on the number of enemies you have slain, so it might not be tied exclusively to the time you spend in game; if almost no enemies are dead why bother doing a respawn event? In regards to using fires to pass the time though, I am fairly certain you can use any lit cooking location without having to use flint; likewise if you have already...
purchased your own house,
you can use the bed there to pass the time for free as well.
I don't know about that, I can't dispute it outright... but during some items in which I have had a ton of blood moons I seem to recall not killing many foes... I don't kill many in general... I usually just explore and kill what gets in my way, and even then only sometimes... sometimes I just run...

I remember being really annoyed by constant blood moons because every time it happened it was inconsistent about letting me skip the cinematic, and then had the long load afterwards...

I can't say for sure that i didn't kill a ton of enemies then, but I don't think I did, looking back on it

theMightyME

When the Switch came out, Steve2 and I played BotW for almost 72 hours straight (subtract 21 hours for sleep from that total). We still play it every evening and when we can on weekend. Even with all that playtime, I still have a strong desire to take multiple days off work and just keep playing non-stop.
There have been many games over the years that I've been drawn to and want to play a lot, but it's been awhile since I've had a game that has made me go "all in" like this.
last couple days have been killing me, I have to do some chores and watch a ton of TV (catching up on some stuff), which means less time for zelda... I hoped on the other day just to get that map location for koenig, then I sat staring at the screen for like 5 minutes forcing myself to eventually shut it down... this weekend I have family coming over, hence all the chores, and I'll have both zelda and iron fist vying for your time against my young nephew

Not breath of the wild related but apparently some folks got their hands on the new Hyrule Encyclopedia.

Apparently they make some changes to the timeline. Link's Awakening is pushed up right after LttP. Some races like Mogmas are extinct, kokiris are evolved from hylians, and Majora's Mask is all Skull Kid's dream.

The last part really annoys me. According to the people translating, this book was made by Nintendo Dream who in the introduction state they "took liberties with the timeline". So Nintendo is publishing an alt-canon book? Why even bother.

And who knows, maybe for the 35th anniversary they'll change it again.

edit: Despite the fact the call my favorite Zelda a dream, it contradicts stuff Aonuma says himself. He denied the dream theory, and in Hyrule Hystoria he wrote that races like Mogmas could return if they want them in a new game. So much contradicting info.

I guess Hyrule Encyclopedia really is just a fan timeline that doesn't mean anything.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It took me about 30 flint to get a blood moon. I definitely hadn't slain many enemies since the previous blood moon, so I do think that's a probably factor. As for @theMightyME getting them so often: restart your game (and system?), as it's a known glitch that the longer you keep Breath of the Wild running, the more blood moons that happen at random intervals, sometimes not even at night. I used to get them before I finished the game, because I had been running the game continuously. Since I started playing other games as well, I haven't encountered the random blood moon, only the midnight one.

Not breath of the wild related but apparently some folks got their hands on the new Hyrule Encyclopedia.

Apparently they make some changes to the timeline. Link's Awakening is pushed up right after LttP. Some races like Mogmas are extinct, kokiris are evolved from hylians, and Majora's Mask is all Skull Kid's dream.

The last part really annoys me. According to the people translating, this book was made by Nintendo Dream who in the introduction state they "took liberties with the timeline". So Nintendo is publishing an alt-canon book? Why even bother.

edit: Despite the fact the call my favorite Zelda a dream, it contradicts stuff Aonuma says himself. He denied the dream theory, and in Hyrule Hystoria he wrote that races like Mogmas could return if they want them in a new game. So much contradicting info.

I guess Hyrule Encyclopedia really is just a fan timeline that doesn't mean anything.
That makes zero fucking sense even thematically. Well actually it does have some weight there, still pretty dumb.
The other stuff is whatever. Although I'm fairly certain that the Kokiri stuff makes little sense, I think they predate Hylians so ???
They evolve a hell of a lot though apparently, to koroks and to monkeys lmao what a mess. But a typical Zelda timeline mess. I always figured Awakening came after ALttP but due in part to my dismissal of the Oracle games, but that one doesnt quite matter since its just a dream.

That makes zero fucking sense even thematically. Well actually it does have some weight there, still pretty dumb.
The other stuff is whatever. Although I'm fairly certain that the Kokiri stuff makes little sense, I think they predate Hylians so ???
They evolve a hell of a lot though apparently, to koroks and to monkeys lmao what a mess. But a typical Zelda timeline mess. I always figured Awakening came after ALttP but due in part to my dismissal of the Oracle games, but that one doesnt quite matter since its just a dream.
I think they changed it so the Oracle games are a new Link whereas LttP and LA Link are the same now.

Another thing I remember is the backstory to Twilight Princess where the magicians (can't remember their real name) get sealed to the Twilight Realm now takes place after Skyward Sword.

Nothing is really that big a deal except Majora's Mask. So stupid.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

I think it pretty much sums up the whole Zelda franchise as a whole: Nintendo doesn't even know what to do with the timeline, but because fans and theorists insisted there was a connection, Nintendo decided to shoehorn all the games into a series of different timelines. I think Nintendo would've preferred if Zelda had become more like Final Fantasy where the Legend of Zelda games were just that: Legends, or tales told by parents and scholars that kids would hear as bedtime stories, but were never really connected with one another.

If you ask me, I think it would've been better for Nintendo to just keep the games separate rather than trying to connect them with one another. I mean, they practically had to invent another timeline with Ocarina of Time saying that in one timeline, Link dies, and thus creates the Fallen Hero timeline. Obviously, what this implies is that any other time while you were playing the game, and "died," that is not considered canon. But then I had another question with Majora's Mask with all the time-traveling it had with going back in time to that 72 hours. I suppose in theory, it might be possible to complete all four dungeons in one cycle if you're really fast and really good, but that would still leave a minimum of two times (maybe more) where Link had to go back in time to that 72 hours. So what happens to everyone else that is not time traveled? I guess they die? Doesn't that all create its own timeline?

Perhaps this is what is implied with the whole game being a dream or something? I recently watched a Let's Play of it, and watching the guy going the game again, it does feel more dreamy than real at times. I suppose if the game was all a dream through the mind of the Skull Kid, then how it be both a sequel to OoT, and a prequel to Twilight Princess? If it's all just a dream, then anything that happens in it doesn't exist.

Honestly though, I've only researched some of the aspects of the how the timelines fit together, so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. But basically, I think Nintendo doesn't know what to do, and are making it up as they go.

I think it pretty much sums up the whole Zelda franchise as a whole: Nintendo doesn't even know what to do with the timeline, but because fans and theorists insisted there was a connection, Nintendo decided to shoehorn all the games into a series of different timelines. I think Nintendo would've preferred if Zelda had become more like Final Fantasy where the Legend of Zelda games were just that: Legends, or tales told by parents and scholars that kids would hear as bedtime stories, but were never really connected with one another.

If you ask me, I think it would've been better for Nintendo to just keep the games separate rather than trying to connect them with one another. I mean, they practically had to invent another timeline with Ocarina of Time saying that in one timeline, Link dies, and thus creates the Fallen Hero timeline. Obviously, what this implies is that any other time while you were playing the game, and "died," that is not considered canon. But then I had another question with Majora's Mask with all the time-traveling it had with going back in time to that 72 hours. I suppose in theory, it might be possible to complete all four dungeons in one cycle if you're really fast and really good, but that would still leave a minimum of two times (maybe more) where Link had to go back in time to that 72 hours. So what happens to everyone else that is not time traveled? I guess they die? Doesn't that all create its own timeline?

Perhaps this is what is implied with the whole game being a dream or something? I recently watched a Let's Play of it, and watching the guy going the game again, it does feel more dreamy than real at times. I suppose if the game was all a dream through the mind of the Skull Kid, then how it be both a sequel to OoT, and a prequel to Twilight Princess? If it's all just a dream, then anything that happens in it doesn't exist.

Honestly though, I've only researched some of the aspects of the how the timelines fit together, so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. But basically, I think Nintendo doesn't know what to do, and are making it up as they go.
I'd be more than fine if the games were like Final Fantasy, I mean, most of my gaming life I treated most Zelda games as their own. It just seems like Nintendo wants it both ways.

They slapped this timeline together so you think that would be done and dusted, but now they're publishing a "fan timeline" that changes the information we've had all along.

Still though, I like the idea of both ways, so I'm not either for or against a timeline. I like the idea of Mad Maxing it and each Link be a legend they tell around the campfires, but I also do like the idea of an evil that reincarnates every so often with a new hero to rise.

I mean, the games themselves have references to each other. Majora's Mask being a continuation of Link. Wind Waker having stained glass pictures of the sages from Ocarina, then Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks being direct sequels with returning characters. Lastly, how many games reference Ocarina? Quite a number of them.

It's like Nintendo wants and almost has an idea of a timeline or whatever, but they don't want to commit. In my opinion, either come out and say it's like Final Fantasy or actually stand by a timeline. Don't release one batch of info and then five years later say "oh yeah Majora's Mask is a dream lol" after a year in which Aonuma says it isn't.

Koenig

The Architect
In regards to the timeline, I remember how peeved I was when Skyward Sword touted itself to be the first in the series but had the gall to give link his cap; effectively neutralizing the lore in the minish cap establishing elzo as the source of the hero's cap. Something only a nerd would get annoyed about it, but it is good an example as any that Nintendo conceives their games first, and then cobbles together the story after the fact.

Yeah, between interviews, two books, the games themselves, there is just too much contradicting information.

I'm kinda just done with the timeline now. If a games obviously goes together like the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks or Ocarina and Majora, then fuck it. I'll take each "seperate" game as it's own thing with past games being the fairy tales and legends told around campfires thing.

Cause you're right Koenig, they make Zelda games with gameplay first then cobble a story together after.