Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Koenig

The Architect
For those of you having trouble climbing during the rain, try jumping every 4 or 5 steps Link takes; accounting for the climbing + jumping distance you will slide less than the distance you have covered. Granted it is still not ideal, as you will lose a lot of stamina, but it may be enough to finish a short distance.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
For those of you having trouble climbing during the rain, try jumping every 4 or 5 steps Link takes; accounting for the climbing + jumping distance you will slide less than the distance you have covered. Granted it is still not ideal, as you will lose a lot of stamina, but it may be enough to finish a short distance.
I vouch for this, it's how I learned to climb during rain. Like you said it still only lets you climb short heights, but it's better than nothing.

Koenig

The Architect
You can also see what the weather will be in your area by looking at the slider underneath your mini-map. I always forget about it or don't notice it, but hey its there.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yep I always count 4 climbs then hit the jump button.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Number of the day: 89%.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-14-nintendo-switch-has-sold-1-5m-worldwide-superdata

That's the percentage of Switch owners who also bought Breath of the Wild. For comparison's sake, the launch attach rate for Twilight Princess was 75% (although that figure is for the Americas only).
Yup. And you can also cover a fairly impressive distance with a last-gasp lunge.

Koenig

The Architect
So lets talk DLC. Is there anything you guys are hoping will come with the DLC in addition to dungeons etc? As I have mentioned before, I love base game so generally the only things I would like to see is more things added to it.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So lets talk DLC. Is there anything you guys are hoping will come with the DLC in addition to dungeons etc? As I have mentioned before, I love base game so generally the only things I would like to see is more things added to it.
I really like the idea of a new story in this qorld... they amde a non ruined version of the world for the cinematics with zelda.. so how about that... a per-ruined world story

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I want a mech from XCX...

But really to pilot a guardian and do guardian things...

But really, really to play as the other main characters with their own play styles being different. I would enjoy that quite a bit.

Koenig

The Architect
I would love to see a number of traditional dungeons buried away in various locations around the world, each complete with their own lore and quests. In terms of general changes, the single thing I would like to see most is a NPC map (ala Xenoblade Chronicles) and weapon forges, where I could craft my own weapons using the various gems and monster parts around the world.

Koenig

The Architect
Damn this luck, Ive killed 5 of them and walked away with few drops.

Anyone know where the highest peak in the game is? I would guess Death Mountain but if so whats the second highest peak?
Either mount Lanayru or the Gerudo Highlands. Although I have not yet made it to the North West.

Aki

This game is AMAZING!!!!

To me, it's tied with OoT 3D as my favorite game ever. I don't even really know how to express the greatness of this game. It redefines open world games imo.

Right off the bat, there's no tutorial. There's no do this, go here, get this, this is how you use that item you just got, blah, blah, blah. You start the game and within 10 minutes you're doing whatever you want.

And the world just makes sense. Like it's not over flooded with things to do and, on the surface, it actually appears a bit barren. Once you start exploring, you quickly realize that's not the case. There's hunting and gathering to do. There's puzzles. There's enemy camps. There's side quests. There's horses. There's insect collecting. There's the shrines. There's cooking. There's taking pictures. There's filling out the compendium. There's kook seeds. There's mini games. There's sailing. There's paragliding. There's climbing mountains. There's swimming. The over world itself is a meta game.

To perfectly sum up this game, let me tell you of one of my noteworthy experiences of a recent play session. I was shrine hunting. In particular, I was trying to get to the Chaas Qeta Shrine on Tenoko Island, a small and isolated island south of Haterno Beach. So I bust out my camera and start scoping out my environment, noticing a shrine out in the distance, Muwo Seem Shrine, on a cliff that I might be able to glide off of. I open up my map to try and coordinate a gameplan. I decide that the best course is around the cliffs, past Loshlo Harbor. I make it over there, killing and pillaging everything in my way. I try to glide down to Tenoko Island with no avail. I ran out of stamina and was barely past half way. I retreated back to Haterno Beach and started to do some exploring. I quickly noticed an enemy camp not far from me. I put on my Sheikah armor and picked off as many as I could with a bow before I was spotted. Once that happened, I put on my Knight armor and killed off the remaining enemies. That's when I noticed a raft. I get on the raft and after a few minutes, I realize that I need the korok leaf to use as a wind source. I proceed to open up my compendium since I'm a nut about scanning like in Metroid and proceed to find a korok leaf and eventually make it to the shine only to encounter an NPC and a neat little challenge.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
For me BotW is breaking a huge convention in gaming. Let's talk about "did you beat it yet?"

This game has made me think deeply about gamin and how we progress thru the world, as well as devouring any information we can get our hands on about said game. It's just the way things are these days.

But why 100+ shrines? Why 900 korok seeds? Why 40 Stone Talus? I'm to the point now it's because Nintendo wants BotW to stay open for you to visit and replay anytime and have an actual adventure. If they didn't why would you build such a vast land that there is something to do everywhere? It wouldn't make sense to make something this big so you can just "beat the game and move on to the next one".

I've made a choice this past week. I'm not lookin up shrine locations on the internet. If I find them all great, if not that's awesome also. I'll treat it like a book that I come back to and read to discover something I missed.

And if I get all the shrines, I won't look up the location of the Stone Talus, or the Giants, etc etc. Nintendo created this to leave these things in the world so you continue to adventure in this land they have created for us in convinced of it.

I look forward to maybe even a year or 2 down the road I fire up BotW and I still have shrines to find or enemy's in areas I haven't uncovered yet.

Koenig

The Architect
This game is AMAZING!!!!

Right off the bat, there's no tutorial. There's no do this, go here, get this, this is how you use that item you just got, blah, blah, blah. You start the game and within 10 minutes you're doing whatever you want.
I always thought of the entire Great Plateau as the tutorial; granted you can still die and all the games mechanics are available to you, but the area is much more relaxed in terms of difficulty and traversal by comparison to the rest of the world. Granted it is (almost) completely hands off, and lets your learn as you go.

To perfectly sum up this game, let me tell you of one of my noteworthy experiences of a recent play session. I was shrine hunting. In particular, I was trying to get to the Chaas Qeta Shrine on Tenoko Island, a small and isolated island south of Haterno Beach. So I bust out my camera and start scoping out my environment, noticing a shrine out in the distance, Muwo Seem Shrine, on a cliff that I might be able to glide off of. I open up my map to try and coordinate a gameplan. I decide that the best course is around the cliffs, past Loshlo Harbor. I make it over there, killing and pillaging everything in my way. I try to glide down to Tenoko Island with no avail. I ran out of stamina and was barely past half way. I retreated back to Haterno Beach and started to do some exploring. I quickly noticed an enemy camp not far from me. I put on my Sheikah armor and picked off as many as I could with a bow before I was spotted. Once that happened, I put on my Knight armor and killed off the remaining enemies. That's when I noticed a raft. I get on the raft and after a few minutes, I realize that I need the korok leaf to use as a wind source. I proceed to open up my compendium since I'm a nut about scanning like in Metroid and proceed to find a korok leaf and eventually make it to the shine only to encounter an NPC and a neat little challenge.
That was a fun challenge, I wish the game had even more isolated area's like that.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I always thought of the entire Great Plateau as the tutorial; granted you can still die and all the games mechanics are available to you, but the area is much more relaxed in terms of difficulty and traversal by comparison to the rest of the world.
Definitely. If you look at your map, you'll notice that there aren't any roads in the Plateau. In any other areas of the game, there are main roads that you can stick to that can make your experience easier, whether because there are less monsters or because you'll find ranches and merchants where you can restock your items. Meanwhile, as you go farther away from main roads, you'll encounter tougher enemies with stronger weapons, shrines will be harder to discover, and the terrain will be more difficult to traverse. I'm pretty sure that the difficulty spikes I hear about in this game are really just from people (myself included) who jumped off the plateau and headed deep into mountains or forests, away from the main roads, and were constantly finding camps filled with blue monsters wielding spiked weapons. I imagine those that stuck to main roads and actually followed the game's instructions ("go talk to Impa") experienced a much smoother difficulty curve.

EvilTw1n

I'm pretty sure that the difficulty spikes I hear about in this game are really just from people (myself included) who jumped off the plateau and headed deep into mountains or forests, away from the main roads, and were constantly finding camps filled with blue monsters wielding spiked weapons. I imagine those that stuck to main roads and actually followed the game's instructions ("go talk to Impa") experienced a much smoother difficulty curve.
Yeah, I'd bet that's true, for a fairly fundamental reason.

Once you go to Kakariko, you'll get directed to the Great Fairy there pretty easily. If you follow the road, the Tabantha Fairy is pretty easy - Tabantha Tower is right by there, and you can easily see the Fairy from up there. If you're getting ** clothes early and not fighting blue foes with spiked clubs, this game would seem a lot easier.

I didn't, of course. But I bet you're right.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
It's happening. BotW is downloading as I type this. I also had extra funds left, so I figured I'd do just that. Like I said, my final gaming purchase (likely anyway) for the Wii U).

I hope I've opened my eyes for this because it's going to be a wild ride...I hope.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's happening. BotW is downloading as I type this. I also had extra funds left, so I figured I'd do just that. Like I said, my final gaming purchase (likely anyway) for the Wii U).

I hope I've opened my eyes for this because it's going to be a wild ride...I hope.
As @Koenig said it was nice knowin ya Shoulder. See you in a few months

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The more I play the more I realize that I hope we all like this template because it is what the new standard will become.

Nintendo so cleverly made this tho if you change really most any of it, it won't be "like Zelda".

In games comin up they will have some type of "shrines", etc etc etc to copy this model.

EvilTw1n

I'm so jealous. You get to experience this for the first time.
Prepare to have your life engulfed.
This is true, @Shoulder. I hope you've been sleeping well, because you're about to start keeping fairly odd hours.
The more I play the more I realize that I hope we all like this template because it is what the new standard will become.
Yeah, I think @Juegos mentioned this, too. In the very near future, if you play an open-world game that is restrictive and doesn't allow you near-total freedom, it won't pass the Breath of the Wild test.

Nintendo didn't just make a new game. They made a new benchmark.

Koenig

The Architect
So: We all know we like the game, but are there anything you guys would like to see changed or added to the game? (Perhaps in the DLC later this year?)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Between the construction starting back up, hanging with the Girlfriend, going to rehearsals for a couple of one act shows I'm in, martial arts training, normal life stuff, and now BotW, it's going to be an interesting ride.

Guess she was right; the Force IS strong with me.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So: We all know we like the game, but are there anything you guys would like to see changed or added to the game? (Perhaps in the DLC later this year?)
For me no this game in this form is pkenty enough. So whatever they give me in DLC is all icing which I've already paid for.

I don't think in terms of "I wish I could do this or they add and fix this". I went high cliff diving for a good part of the day today, what else could I dream of?

simplyTravis

I think I've played Zelda too much. Getting slightly burnt out, but in a good way. Decided to stop once I reached my second Divine Beast. I'll tackle that tomorrow night.

I've spent most of my day farming materials to bulk up armor. That little photo tracker is amazing when you need to find a specific lizard or plant.

My most memorable moment of the day was throwing a barrel of explosives into a cave full of electric bats...and it freakin' worked.

EvilTw1n

Changed?

Story and characterization. I had replayed Twilight Princess HD before this, then Xenoblade, and it's not that Breath of the Wild doesn't have a good story. But after those two games, I just think it could have been told better. It works in the end, and I'm not sure if they really could have given more than what they did considering the constraints of making a game this open. But that leaves you characterization. I wanted a less wet-blanket version of Zelda. There was a little cringe in some of the cut scenes and memories.

The weapon durability could have been a touch tougher at the beginning of the game.

A bit less rain.

Graphically, I wish they would have cut down on NPCs at the stables, since that makes the framerate hit the can. But outside of that? I mean, I hit a slideshow on Death Mountain, as the game tried to keep up with complex geometry, hostile NPCs, rolling boulder physics, and particle effects while giving proper damage frames, but that was a one-time thing. The pop-in is typical for a game of this type, but I suppose it's there.

That's all nitpicking. You put me back on the Great Plateau looking out over Ghibli-Hyrule, and I'm a happy guy.

Added?

Plot spoiler here, so I'll tread lightly, but we're back at a point where Zelda wants to go back out researching. FFS, give her a sword and let her go. She was cooped up in a castle for 100 years. It's time for her to see all of Hyrule. I'd love to have some DLC that lets you play as Zelda, researching the land.
I think I've played Zelda too much. Getting slightly burnt out, but in a good way. Decided to stop once I reached my second Divine Beast. I'll tackle that tomorrow night.
I know what you mean. It's like I'm almost numb to how great the game is.

simplyTravis

I know what you mean. It's like I'm almost numb to how great the game is.
Yup. I'm wondering what the next big thing after this will be. It's going to be hard to live up. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 have quite a road ahead of them.

I am starting to think about this old saying...

More like, "After they've seen Hyrule" amirite?

EvilTw1n

Yup. I'm wondering what the next big thing after this will be. It's going to be hard to live up. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 have quite a road ahead of them.

I am starting to think about this old saying...

More like, "After they've seen Hyrule" amirite?
For real, I don't know, man. Gaming has been building toward this moment for the better part of 30 years. They finally cracked how to do the open, original 2D style of Zelda in a 3D game, one that includes all of the innovations ushered in with OoT, and then every open-world game since GTA3. They made something large enough that you could literally spend years trying to see every area and fully explore every nook and cranny. It is absurdly pretty and won't age. It's all there in one game.

The only thing against the game is you'll eventually get numb and want to play something with a more rigid narrative and structure for the sake of variety.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I thought I was done with this game for a bit, but here I am once again, going around places and finding shrines.

praisegrima
That's how it was for me. I beat the game, and had Post-Zelda Depression for about 3 hours before I decided to go sight-seeing at the beach. Then I decided not to use fast-travel anymore, and 40 hours later I finally felt like I needed another short break. That's nearly 40 hours that it's taken me just to go all around the world in clockwise rotation trying to find every shrine that I had missed before, and it's led me to discover a lot of cool little areas I had never seen before.

Aki

All I know is that when this adventure is all said and done it will be that of Legend and I'm cherishing every moment.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I decided to see how fast I could go on a raft by using a korok leaf. I needed to go back to Akkala from all the way down in the coast village, and it took me a little over 3 minutes. I would say this is definitely the fastest way to travel along the east coast if you don't want to use fast-travel. The trick is to use single blows with the leaf, rather than the two-hit combo.

(Also I had my capture card set up all wrong, so I didn't record sound. But I got that BotW vaporwave ready.)

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I really want to carry a Korok leaf on me, but it always seems that there are better/rarer items competing for my inventory space.

Last edited: