Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Aki

It's really the little details that make this game special and the comparison to Horizon, to some extent, can be applied to the majority of open world games out there.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

It's really the little details that make this game special and the comparison to Horizon, to some extent, can be applied to the majority of open world games out there.
Wow! Those are fascinating comparisons. From all I've heard, HZD is an excellent game. But seeing some of the things from BotW, that after 90 hours of exploring I've begun taking for granted, and seeing that HZD doesn't do them... just wow. And the arrow thing in HZD, that just looks lazy on the programmer's part. Arrows sticking into rocks? An arrow in mid air after shooting it at someone's head?
You can tell how much care went into the physics of BotW. After seeing those videos, I appreciate it even more now.

Koenig

The Architect
On the topic of weapon durability, the only enemies that really muck up the flow of the weapons are the Silver varients. These bastards can take anywhere from 1 to 6 weapons to kill. Granted, they give nice rewards, but it can certainly be a pain.

sjmartin79

On the topic of weapon durability, the only enemies that really muck up the flow of the weapons are the Silver varients. These bastards can take anywhere from 1 to 6 weapons to kill. Granted, they give nice rewards, but it can certainly be a pain.
With the Silver/White bokoblins/moblins, I enjoy having them chase me in circles while I drop bombs and blow them up. Takes awhile, but saves weapons. Also, it's fun for me.

Koenig

The Architect
I just spent an hour and a half wondering around one of Hebra's peaks trying to find the entrance to the Shrine that was seemingly inside the mountain itself. I finally found the answer, and it makes have a new found appreciation (and a slight hatred of) the physics engine in the game, which was require to open the way.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I just spent an hour and a half wondering around one of Hebra's peaks trying to find the entrance to the Shrine that was seemingly inside the mountain itself. I finally found the answer, and it makes have a new found appreciation (and a slight hatred of) the physics engine in the game, which was require to open the way.
I don't think I've found one in Hebra that wasent "in the mountain". Hebra takes what you thought you knew and throws that crap out the window.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
You can save a lot of durability by using elemental weapons.

You can freeze anything short of a Hinox or Lynel, and then hit them with a different weapon for a triple damage critical hit.
You can shock an enemy with an electric weapon to make them drop their weapon, pick it up, and use it against them. If they were frozen, the shock will have the same effect as if they had water on them, creating an AoE effect that stuns nearby enemies as well.
You can burn enemies's shields and weapons so that you have more freedom to move around and use more damage charged hits, or just let the burn damage whittle them down.

Lynels are immune to all elemental attacks, but you can save durability in other ways. When they charge at you with their claws, if you dodge them and run after them, you can mount them and land several free hits. These hits will not wear down your weapon, so you can equip your highest damage greatsword without worrying about it breaking. You can also put Lynels in this mount-able state if you land a critical hit on their head as they prepare to do a jumping attack.

Hinox are actually net positive on your durability, as you can steal three strong weapons from their necklaces. You can also whittle them down by burning any wooden armor they might be wearing on their legs.

The most important aspect, however, is to simply use the most adequately-damaging weapon you have for any given situation. If you try to attack a Lynel with bone weapons, then of course you'll run through 15 of them. But if you stick with royal or colossal weapons, you'll only use two or three. Meanwhile, using high level weapons against blue enemies or weaker is just a waste of durability.

sjmartin79

You can save a lot of durability by using elemental weapons.

You can freeze anything short of a Hinox or Lynel, and then hit them with a different weapon for a triple damage critical hit.
You can shock an enemy with an electric weapon to make them drop their weapon, pick it up, and use it against them. If they were frozen, the shock will have the same effect as if they had water on them, creating an AoE effect that stuns nearby enemies as well.
You can burn enemies's shields and weapons so that you have more freedom to move around and use more damage charged hits, or just let the burn damage whittle them down.

Lynels are immune to all elemental attacks, but you can save durability in other ways. When they charge at you with their claws, if you dodge them and run after them, you can mount them and land several free hits. These hits will not wear down your weapon, so you can equip your highest damage greatsword without worrying about it breaking. You can also put Lynels in this mount-able state if you land a critical hit on their head as they prepare to do a jumping attack.

Hinox are actually net positive on your durability, as you can steal three strong weapons from their necklaces. You can also whittle them down by burning any wooden armor they might be wearing on their legs.

The most important aspect, however, is to simply use the most adequately-damaging weapon you have for any given situation. If you try to attack a Lynel with bone weapons, then of course you'll run through 15 of them. But if you stick with royal or colossal weapons, you'll only use two or three. Meanwhile, using high level weapons against blue enemies or weaker is just a waste of durability.
If you want to get in a few free hits against a Lynel, Stasis can be used against them.

Koenig

The Architect
If you want to get in a few free hits against a Lynel, Stasis can be used against them.
You can also use the updraft created by the fire breath to fly into the air and use slowmotion to headshot and stun them. Similarly if you encounter a silver lynel, you can block their nova blasts by parrying the explosion; Lynel will always roar before doing this attack, so run out of range or raise your should to parry accordingly

Aki

Wow! Those are fascinating comparisons. From all I've heard, HZD is an excellent game. But seeing some of the things from BotW, that after 90 hours of exploring I've begun taking for granted, and seeing that HZD doesn't do them... just wow. And the arrow thing in HZD, that just looks lazy on the programmer's part. Arrows sticking into rocks? An arrow in mid air after shooting it at someone's head?
You can tell how much care went into the physics of BotW. After seeing those videos, I appreciate it even more now.
Yeah, HZD is a fantastic game by all means, but it just shows you how spoiled we are by Zelda. I was telling my good friend today that Idk how I'm ever going to be able to play another open world game after this.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

I still want to get Horizon: Zero Dawn, but after seeing that, and after I've finished playing through BotW, I'll feel as though something is missing. And you're right, the little details like that can make a huge difference in the immersion and atmosphere of the game. I look at HZD now as a mere graphical marvel than something which will push the boundaries of what's possible. Sure, it's pushing graphic boundaries, but there's more to games than graphics (shocking, right?), and I think BotW is proving that with just those two videos.

Koenig

The Architect
Angry Joe finally got his Review for the game up. A pretty damn good review, and a nice touch of newcomer insight to the series.

Spoiler: He liked it alot.

Also:

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Ugh! I just got to the most annoying part of Zelda.

Infiltrating the Yiga Clan's hideout is super annoying. It forces you to play the game in stealth mode without the ability to save. Basically everything the game has done up til this point, they yank away from you. I also hate that you really can't fight your way through it because you get one-shotted by the enemies with swords. I figured out a way to fly across after about 5 tries but screwed up the last second and they closed the gate in my face as I was trying to go through. Done..I'm done for the night. Yiga, I'll get you jerks tomorrow.

Still enjoying the game. Getting to the point where I am wanting to attack the story a bit more. 2 Divine Beasts down and working on number 3.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Ugh! I just got to the most annoying part of Zelda.

Infiltrating the Yiga Clan's hideout is super annoying. It forces you to play the game in stealth mode without the ability to save. Basically everything the game has done up til this point, they yank away from you. I also hate that you really can't fight your way through it because you get one-shotted by the enemies with swords. I figured out a way to fly across after about 5 tries but screwed up the last second and they closed the gate in my face as I was trying to go through. Done..I'm done for the night. Yiga, I'll get you jerks tomorrow.

Still enjoying the game. Getting to the point where I am wanting to attack the story a bit more. 2 Divine Beasts down and working on number 3.
Yeah, that was the most annoying part for me, too. In a game with so much room to improvise, you get nothing here. There is one other mission I've found in the game like this, and at least in that one it makes a little sense. But here? It's jarringly out of place.

I think it was hidden behind the glaze of a "Shrine Challenge", then it would be fine.
I didnt mind it, did it almost all stealth but slipped on the last dude and had to fight after that.

Koenig

The Architect
I gave up on Stealth about a minute in and tanked the place with ice arrows and charge attacks. I feel like I made the developer in charge of the stealth section cry a little.

simplyTravis

So last night I went to the Satellite Bar in Houston to see The Dollyrots and The Two Tens. The last thing I expected at a punk show was a potential Zelda shrine...

Look at the lantern hanging on the left...

I'm still not convinced there was not a spirit orb potentially hidden underneath some crappy hipster beer...

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So last night I went to the Satellite Bar in Houston to see The Dollyrots and The Two Tens. The last thing I expected at a punk show was a potential Zelda shrine...

Look at the lantern hanging on the left...

I'm still not convinced there was not a spirit orb potentially hidden underneath some crappy hipster beer...
did you try hitting the singer with stasis and then mercilessly beating him?

Koenig

The Architect
Now that I have completed the game, I wanted to share my thoughts on it as well as my hopes for the future.

This is easily Nintendo's most ambitious game in over a decade: The world is expansive, the physics engine is amazing, the art style has been perfected, the numerous little touches bring the world to life, while the difficulty is a pleasant return to form. Aside from a number of niggling complaints the game is damn near perfect. I know a lot of people have grown to hate the durability system, however I think the way it was implemented works near perfectly (Although they could be just a bit more durable for my liking) The one exception to this is the story; without trying to spoil, I will say that it felt very underdeveloped, especially given the emphasis that is put on it by comparison to the games side quests.

With all that said, here are the little things I would like to see changed or added, as well as the microscoping complaints I do have. Do not consider these criticisms (As I know most of you tend to view my suggestions) but as hopes and ideas that could improve upon an already amazing game. I would love to hear you guys thoughts on them, as well as what you would like to see added or changed in future games as well.

Things I would Change:

-Compendium HP. I would like to see the "scanning" system in the game be responsible for HP displays instead of requiring the use of the Champions Tunic. A small touch, but I can't help but feel it would make more sense and be more practical for most of the game.

-Fix daylight settings. Purely a cosmetic complaint, but why the hell does the Sun rise at 3:00 AM in this game? I am hoping that in the next game the lighting setting can be fixed slightly.

-Circular Hotbars. The menu system in this game is very clean, however I found that the D-pad hotkeys tend to become very cluttered towards the end of the game, especially after you have upgraded your respective weapon capacities. Rather than being a horizontal bar, I think a traditional item wheel would have been far more effective.

-Larger whistle range. I love the ability to ride horses, but I found that every time I took one with me and got off to explore, I would quickly get out of range and be unable to summon my mount anymore. Often it would be faster to teleport to a stable, use them to automatically recall the horse, and ride back from there ; so I can't help but feel that a larger (say double to tripple) range on your whistle would make the horse much more useful in the long run.

-More Rupees. Another niggling complaint, but I found that the economy in BoTW felt a little...skewed. Difficult quests involving raiding Hyrule castle will net you as little as 300 rupees, but a cheap meal or potion can the same amount for 100x less effort. Meanwhile, Rupees in the chests and the wild itself are exceptionally scarce, and typically come in nickles and dimes. Once you through the truck loads of gems you will likely accumulate into the mix, things get even worse. (By the end of the game, I had 55,000 rupees and nothing to spend them on)

-Better AI. The AI in BoTW is functional, but not much more than that. If possible I would like to the AI improved on in future updates or releases, possibly including new tactics and a larger range of activity. (I have lost count of the number of times ill be in the middle of a fight, only to find half the enemies I have been fighting have wondered off and forget that I exist)

-More Stamps. The number of chests, boss monsters, lynels, rare ore locations, and other hidden goodies scattered across the world simply far exceed the mere 100 stamps you are allowed to use; and if you are anything like me you ran out of usable stamps within only a few regions. More stamps would be a wonderful addition to the game, allowing us to map out the world with much more detail.

-Apparatus Shrines. I love these shrines in concept, but in execution the reliance on motion controls really falls short. I don't necessarily want to see the motion control aspect of these shrines removed, but I would much rather have the ability or option to use the analogue sticks in addition to them. (Much like how the aiming works)

Things I want to see return:

-Hidden moves. I would love to see hidden moves make a return from games like Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and the Minish cap. These unique moves could be rewarded to the player over time, and would greatly expand links weapon based combat. Couple that with the already numerous weapons in the game and the other combinations with it, and this could exponentially increase the players options in combat for relatively little cost.

-Pit of Trials. Again a returning feature I would love to see is the gantlet of enemies that you have to fight through in the pit of trials. Few things feel quite as rewarding as beating one of these, and if combined with a unique costume, weapon, or ability, the reward alone could become a huge goal for many a player.

-Swimming (Underwater). BoTW has swimming, but it is limited to a 2D plain. I would love to explore the flooded depths of rivers, caves, lakes and ravines were this made available again.

-More returning enemies: Where are the Darknuts, the Redead, and the Poes? Where are the Skulltulas, the Deku babas, and the Tektites? Where are the P-hats, the Kargoroks and the Beamos?. There are a huge number of inexplicable omissions in BoTW that I would love to see make a return.

-Traditional Dungeons/Items. Now this is one that I know is going to be controversial, especially around here; I would love to see traditional items and dungeons built around them (and the runes) be included in addition to the Shrines already in the game. Giving the free roaming nature of the world it would probably be best that these dungeons are not mandatory, but I feel that their inclusion would go a long ways towards creating a bit more variety in the game. Perhaps they could be tied to long running quests (like Terry town for example) and be a reward/challenge for those who find them.

-Spells/Weather control. Perhaps it because I have a paradoxical love of thunderstorms and hatred of rain in this game, but I would love to see a variation of the Song of Storms and Sun Song which would allow you to control the games weather temporarily. Again, the potential for tying these to shrines and the quests is high.

Things I want to add:

-NPC map. I would absolutely love to see an NPC map like the one used in Xenoblade Chronicles. A way to not only keep track of all the NPC's you have found in the World, but also visualize their relationships with fellow NPC's and status's in regards to quests and personal goals.

-Armor Sets. A small touch I think would be great, would be the ability to make set combinations they could be easily selected for mix & match armors. A mere convenience for those interested in using them; perhaps even tying said armor sets to a hot key system. (This would have saved me a huge amount of time when switching between hot/cold/climbing/swimming armor sets to my standard armor set)

-Weapon/Armor Forges. I would love the ability to "craft" weapons in the various villages across the world provided I had the right gems and materials to do so. Even if the weapons I could craft were limited It would still be a fun feature to have, and would not interfear with the combat system as is. Couple it with quest specific and secret blueprints and you have recipe for success.

-More music. Although I was initially disappointed by the music in BoTW, it's purpose and implementation has grown on me. However I can't help but feel that most of the music tracks in the game are reused too often, and I would love to hear more.

-More new enemies. Outside of the Guardians and Yiga, there are not really many new enemies to begin with in BoTW, and couple this with the numerous missing enemies I mentioned before, and things start to feel a little baren (Not including colored variants that is). Perhaps I am just a sucker for new and creative things, or perhaps Monster Hunter has just ruined me; but I would love to see more enemies and more challenging bosses around the world for me to hunt.

-Elite/Unique Monsters. I would also like to see the inclusion of unique or elite monster in the various enemy bases or hidden grotto's around the world. As is, I can't help but feel that if you have seen one Bokoblin camp, you have seen them all. If tied to certain side quests or perhaps even a variant of the army system like that of Shadow of Mordor, and you might find something a bit more interesting to do.

-Poses/Emotes. Now this is something I certainly understand not being in the game, but with the inclusion of NPC behavior and a selfy system, and I can't help but feel that the inclusion of various poses/emotes for Link would be a fun inclusion to have. Even more-so if it were tied to hidden quests, shrines, or interactions in the world.

Whew...That about it for now. What do you guys think?

Its shocking to me how hands on it sounds like Nintendo was with the dubbing and voice acting process of this game.
Shocking because, with all that in place, the English VA still came off bland af. I think some of the blame there has to do with the voice actor strike in the US. Still, disappointing.

LA dub took partial cues from the Japanese dub and the script was mostly strict and sounds like an in-house Nintendo localization. Even things like the pronunciation of "Hyrule" (said "ee-rool-eh" in LA Spanish), which was a pet peeve for many, was a Nintendo call.
They had Nintendo reps from all branches supervising the recording sessions, from Japan, Europe, US, Canada etc.

Big, passionate endeavor though, and worth the effort, I really really like the voice acting in the game. Well, at least this one.

I've only heard this, Japan, English and part of the Ibitha Spanish dub. Gonna take a listen to it all sometime later.

While I'm on a localization kick though, I have some issues with some of the simplicity of the English stuff, and how lame some of the naming is. Am I missing some subtlety with Terry Town? Naming the section "Shrine Quests" is accurate but too blunt. I prefer Arkadia (fits thematically too) and Heroic Trials.

simplyTravis

Things I would Change:

-More Rupees. Another niggling complaint, but I found that the economy in BoTW felt a little...skewed. Difficult quests involving raiding Hyrule castle will net you as little as 300 rupees, but a cheap meal or potion can the same amount for 100x less effort. Meanwhile, Rupees in the chests and the wild itself are exceptionally scarce, and typically come in nickles and dimes. Once you through the truck loads of gems you will likely accumulate into the mix, things get even worse. (By the end of the game, I had 55,000 rupees and nothing to spend them on)

-More Stamps. The number of chests, boss monsters, lynels, rare ore locations, and other hidden goodies scattered across the world simply far exceed the mere 100 stamps you are allowed to use; and if you are anything like me you ran out of usable stamps within only a few regions. More stamps would be a wonderful addition to the game, allowing us to map out the world with much more detail.

Things I want to see return:

-Swimming (Underwater). BoTW has swimming, but it is limited to a 2D plain. I would love to explore the flooded depths of rivers, caves, lakes and ravines were this made available again.

-More returning enemies: Where are the Darknuts, the Redead, and the Poes? Where are the Skulltulas, the Deku babas, and the Tektites? Where are the P-hats, the Kargoroks and the Beamos?. There are a huge number of inexplicable omissions in BoTW that I would love to see make a return.

-Spells/Weather control. Perhaps it because I have a paradoxical love of thunderstorms and hatred of rain in this game, but I would love to see a variation of the Song of Storms and Sun Song which would allow you to control the games weather temporarily. Again, the potential for tying these to shrines and the quests is high.

Things I want to add:

-NPC map. I would absolutely love to see an NPC map like the one used in Xenoblade Chronicles. A way to not only keep track of all the NPC's you have found in the World, but also visualize their relationships with fellow NPC's and status's in regards to quests and personal goals.

-Armor Sets. A small touch I think would be great, would be the ability to make set combinations they could be easily selected for mix & match armors. A mere convenience for those interested in using them; perhaps even tying said armor sets to a hot key system. (This would have saved me a huge amount of time when switching between hot/cold/climbing/swimming armor sets to my standard armor set)

-More music. Although I was initially disappointed by the music in BoTW, it's purpose and implementation has grown on me. However I can't help but feel that most of the music tracks in the game are reused too often, and I would love to hear more.

-Elite/Unique Monsters. I would also like to see the inclusion of unique or elite monster in the various enemy bases or hidden grotto's around the world. As is, I can't help but feel that if you have seen one Bokoblin camp, you have seen them all. If tied to certain side quests or perhaps even a variant of the army system like that of Shadow of Mordor, and you might find something a bit more interesting to do.

All the stuff I left in there would be great for me. I can do without the other stuff. Not that it wouldn't be cool...just these would do a lot more for me.

Now my list of ...

Things I Would Change
  • Having a hard time with this one...man this game is dang good.
Things I Want to See Return
  • They could be in the game somewhere...but all the super creepy monsters from Ocarina of Time that you would find in dungeons.
Things I Want to Add
  • Magic spells and stuff so I can be a freakin' Link wizard. Or let me play as Zelda so I can do this.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@Koenig

One thing I'll take from your post since it was the first thing I picked up, and I don't want to read too much into it, your remark about the sun coming up at 3am. Well, I'd argue that this is Hyrule, and as a result, the sunrise and sunset could reasonably differ from that of Earth. Some places around the world sunset more like 10pm, and of course if you're very north, or very south, you could have 6 months of light, and another 6 months of darkness.

So I'd argue it is not unreasonable to suggest that the sun rising at 3am could be normal. It only feels awkward because we, ourselves, are used to the sun rising and setting relative to our location on Earth.

Koenig

The Architect
@Koenig

One thing I'll take from your post since it was the first thing I picked up, and I don't want to read too much into it, your remark about the sun coming up at 3am. Well, I'd argue that this is Hyrule, and as a result, the sunrise and sunset could reasonably differ from that of Earth. Some places around the world sunset more like 10pm, and of course if you're very north, or very south, you could have 6 months of light, and another 6 months of darkness.

So I'd argue it is not unreasonable to suggest that the sun rising at 3am could be normal. It only feels awkward because we, ourselves, are used to the sun rising and setting relative to our location on Earth.
Considering that whatever world Hyrule is on has a tidally locked moon, it is a bit of fetch to say that it is not Earth, or a world based on it. As for the light hour vs dark hours, this is something I am a bit more open to; I don't know how things are further South (towards the equator) so it may very well be the case (Although I have never heard of the sun rising at 3:00 AM anywhere with a standard daylight cycle). As for polar regions, they only makes sense because of the tilt of the world and as you mentioned have an extremely long cycle. Judging this by in game standards is also a bit unfavorable to the condition, as the game counts 5-6:00 AM as morning, meaning that the day/night cycle is still considered to be the same by the in game NPCs despite the sun rising 2-3 hours earlier than that. I am well aware that arguing logic for a fictional setting is somewhat frivolous, however it is definitely worth it for consistency IMO.

With all that said and done, it is just a purely cosmetic aspect. I am also very curious as to what your thoughts are on the other points I mentioned.

Cubits

New patch just dropped, taking the release version to 1.1.1!

Despite the usual dearth of patch notes, this one makes very obvious improvements to the framerate, and while it doesn't totally fix Korok forest it is WAAAAY better.

Huge, obvious improvements, making a fantastic game that bit better.

I read the thread title as "open your ears" and began thinking, 'That is so true, the ambient music is unreal, the little way the music ties up one instrument to another and other character sounds throughout the game makes it a feast for the ears. I was in Rito Village near the shrine and the small children were on the platform whistling a tune that tied into the games soundtrack and it sounded UN-real!'

Then I re-read the thread name and stopped thinking along these lines.

Aki

so what do you guys do for rupees?

i usually set aside 10 ores of each kind and then sell of the excess ones. this is what nets me most of my rupees. i tend to save the rarer ores and only sell stuff like opal, amber, luminous stone* . . .

i also do a lot of hunting and gathering which leads to cooking. i have a few recipes down which are pretty easy to make and net you anywhere from 30 - 240 rupees. for example, i think 5x cooked apples sells for 30 rupees. so a lot of these ingredients are easily obtained by just playing the game. i do buy ingredients as well. i buy the pumpkins from kakariko village as well as butter, milk, eggs, and wheat. the pumpkins always give you an armor boost, remember that when cooking. i always save my boosted meals.

finally, i kill a lot of monsters on my journey which leaves me with a lot of unwanted monster parts. they aren't worth much individually, but they add up.

* luminous stones can be traded for diamonds to ledo in zora's domain. 10x stones = 1 diamond. the problem is that diamonds only sell for 500 a pop, but 1 stone is 70 bones, 10 x 70 = 700 $$$$. i read on the net that the lady in the gerudo area buys diamonds for more, but i'm not sure how much more.

Koenig

The Architect
so what do you guys do for rupees?

i usually set aside 10 ores of each kind and then sell of the excess ones. this is what nets me most of my rupees. i tend to save the rarer ores and only sell stuff like opal, amber, luminous stone* . . .

i also do a lot of hunting and gathering which leads to cooking. i have a few recipes down which are pretty easy to make and net you anywhere from 30 - 240 rupees. for example, i think 5x cooked apples sells for 30 rupees. so a lot of these ingredients are easily obtained by just playing the game. i do buy ingredients as well. i buy the pumpkins from kakariko village as well as butter, milk, eggs, and wheat. the pumpkins always give you an armor boost, remember that when cooking. i always save my boosted meals.

finally, i kill a lot of monsters on my journey which leaves me with a lot of unwanted monster parts. they aren't worth much individually, but they add up.

* luminous stones can be traded for diamonds to ledo in zora's domain. 10x stones = 1 diamond. the problem is that diamonds only sell for 500 a pop, but 1 stone is 70 bones, 10 x 70 = 700 $$$$. i read on the net that the lady in the gerudo area buys diamonds for more, but i'm not sure how much more.
I am not a fan of how they are distributed in this game. To scarce is the wild, but too plentiful in villages. Sneaking into the castle and finding a chest nets me 300 rupees, but this meat skewer I threw together is worth 500? Something is wonkey in this system... Throw gems into the mix, and the you break the economy. I was holding onto the varius gem I had been getting through the game in the vain hope that I would be able to craft something out of them; sadly the are only used for a limited number of upgrades/gear purchases. I ended up selling m entire stock and have more rupees than I could ever use (55,000).

Aki

I am not a fan of how they are distributed in this game. To scarce is the wild, but too plentiful in villages. Sneaking into the castle and finding a chest nets me 300 rupees, but this meat skewer I threw together is worth 500? Something is wonkey in this system... Throw gems into the mix, and the you break the economy. I was holding onto the varius gem I had been getting through the game in the vain hope that I would be able to craft something out of them; sadly the are only used for a limited number of upgrades/gear purchases. I ended up selling m entire stock and have more rupees than I could ever use (55,000).
while that's true the economy in a zelda game has never been balanced. like i've never once struggled for rupees in zelda. also, keep in mind, that food prices are based on the rarity, amount, and combination of ingredients. so unless you know what you're doing, it's more complex than finding a chest.

EvilTw1n

So @Juegos had mentioned this to me, and it came up in the chat last night...how many frames do you think you get for the flurry dodge and the shield parry? I've been trying to compare it to something like Witch Time, but there's not much info out there, besides message board posts purporting that WT activates within 5 frames of being hit. That's for a 60 fps game. BotW feels tighter, and operates at a lower framerate to boot.

Koenig

The Architect
while that's true the economy in a zelda game has never been balanced. like i've never once struggled for rupees in zelda. also, keep in mind, that food prices are based on the rarity, amount, and combination of ingredients. so unless you know what you're doing, it's more complex than finding a chest.
I have 200+ gourmet meat from fending off wolves. That is enough to fund my retirement in Zelda terms. :confused:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So @Juegos had mentioned this to me, and it came up in the chat last night...how many frames do you think you get for the flurry dodge and the shield parry? I've been trying to compare it to something like Witch Time, but there's not much info out there, besides message board posts purporting that WT activates within 5 frames of being hit. That's for a 60 fps game. BotW feels tighter, and operates at a lower framerate to boot.
I think I figured out how it works exactly.

For parry to work, an enemy has to hit you during your shield parry's active frames. There are 4 frames that count as active, and they are between when your shield starts and ends swinging from Link's chest toward his left side. That's equivalent to 8/60 in Street Fighter or Smash, or little more than 1/10 of a second which is somewhat strict but easily masterable. If you get hit when your shield is already all the way out, you'll take the damage.

For the dodge to activate, you have to press the dodge button during your opponent's attack's active frames. This means that depending on your enemy's attack, you may have a shorter or longer window to dodge. In my test, I found that Lizalfos have a 4-frame jumping attack, but a ~10-12-frame horizontal attack. You can even activate the dodge after your enemy's attack has whiffed, as long as the active frames haven't ended yet. There is a second requirement for dodges to work, though, and that is that you dodge perpendicular to your opponent's attack, i.e. if they hit horizontally you have to dodge vertically and vice versa.

I tested all this by using my Elgato at 30fps, making sure that I could check frame-by-frame, and just testing parries and dodges multiple times against attacks.

Koenig

The Architect
Why would you kill the wildlife! :mshock:
Wolves are the only wildlife I have no shame in killing since they always attack me if I leave them alone. And since they come in packs, my meat locker is overflowing. All other animals are generally safe (Why on earth would anyone ever kill those adorable foxes?)

theMightyME

I still suck at parrying and dodging... though I nail the guardians with a parry about 50% of the time

I wish there was a more effective jump strike like in the old games... you have to actually hit jump and attack, while holding down target, and it is FAR FAR less effective than it was, so much so that I just never do it.... hell the z targeting system itself just doesn't do much for me right now

maybe I should try and master dodging and parrying

I also want to complain that knock down is a bit too annoying... sometimes you can ragdoll the entire way down a f'n hill before getting up.. there should be a way to force yourself out of it... maybe at the expense of some stamina

theMightyME

Wolves are the only wildlife I have no shame in killing since they always attack me if I leave them alone. And since they come in packs, my meat locker is overflowing. All other animals are generally safe (Why on earth would anyone ever kill those adorable foxes?)
for their death flip animation... over and over and over mwahahahaha

Koenig

The Architect
I still suck at parrying and dodging... though I nail the guardians with a parry about 50% of the time

I wish there was a more effective jump strike like in the old games... you have to actually hit jump and attack, while holding down target, and it is FAR FAR less effective than it was, so much so that I just never do it.... hell the z targeting system itself just doesn't do much for me right now

maybe I should try and master dodging and parrying
I would really like to see the hidden moves from Twilight Princess in the game and expanded on. The finishing blow, mortal draw, and helm splitter for instance would be amazing improvements to use in combat. As is, the combat for most enemies boils down to "Keep hitting them until they die, preferably stun locking their ass".

I also want to complain that knock down is a bit too annoying... sometimes you can ragdoll the entire way down a f'n hill before getting up.. there should be a way to force yourself out of it... maybe at the expense of some stamina
I half agree with this one, I like effect, but I think their should be a way to counter it. The more options at the players disposal the better.

theMightyME

I half agree with this one, I like effect, but I think their should be a way to counter it. The more options at the players disposal the better.
I like the effect too, except when it takes like 30 seconds to recover as I slowly roll limply down a hill... there should be a way to force yourself out of it.. even if it comes at a cost... have it drop your stamina to 1% if you force out.. or even have you lose some health... some enemies score way way way too many knockdowns, and it gets frustrating

Koenig

The Architect
I like the effect too, except when it takes like 30 seconds to recover as I slowly roll limply down a hill... there should be a way to force yourself out of it.. even if it comes at a cost... have it drop your stamina to 1% if you force out.. or even have you lose some health... some enemies score way way way too many knockdowns, and it gets frustrating
Perhaps a QTE on the same lines as the parry/dodge, essentially trying to catch yourself when you hit hard, and/or/in addition to the stamina system you mentioned as well. Either way I do think there is a lot of room for improvement in the combat of the game, although it is generally a strong and well built system.

EvilTw1n

I think I figured out how it works exactly.

For parry to work, an enemy has to hit you during your shield parry's active frames. There are 4 frames that count as active, and they are between when your shield starts and ends swinging from Link's chest toward his left side. That's equivalent to 8/60 in Street Fighter or Smash, or little more than 1/10 of a second which is somewhat strict but easily masterable. If you get hit when your shield is already all the way out, you'll take the damage.

For the dodge to activate, you have to press the dodge button during your opponent's attack's active frames. This means that depending on your enemy's attack, you may have a shorter or longer window to dodge. In my test, I found that Lizalfos have a 4-frame jumping attack, but a ~10-12-frame horizontal attack. You can even activate the dodge after your enemy's attack has whiffed, as long as the active frames haven't ended yet. There is a second requirement for dodges to work, though, and that is that you dodge perpendicular to your opponent's attack, i.e. if they hit horizontally you have to dodge vertically and vice versa.

I tested all this by using my Elgato at 30fps, making sure that I could check frame-by-frame, and just testing parries and dodges multiple times against attacks.
You just provided a far more useful analysis than anything I've seen out of Digital Foundry. That makes a lot of sense on why the flurry dodge feels unreliable - it's because of the dodging direction as well as the variability of the attack frames of the enemies.

I don't find that shield parry easily masterable, though. Perhaps because I'm mostly utilizing against projectile/beam attacks, which are harder to judge.

theMightyME

Went to my local boba shop...

Pic is body because my camera has a slow focus, and my order came up as i snapped the shot.
So here is the question... How do you make links boba drink.... The boba themselves are likely those bat eyeballs.... Since it is tea, some herb was likely used, maybe goron spice added for the color, and milk since it is milk tea... Then either sugar or honey

So i am saying
1. Hylian herb
2. Goron spice
3. Courser bee honey
4. Fresh milk
5. Keese eyeball (the boba)