Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Koenig

The Architect
I'm always checking google news for neat things people find in BotW. Didn't even think of the calendar, and those bastards had me for like 4 minutes.
At first glance of the video title I was like "really!?" immediately followed by "I fucking hate April fools".

Still, on that note I do think it would have been cool if Link could have undertaken a side quest from the Akkala Research lab to subdue and reclaim a guardian using the Shieka slate, either turning it into a friendly patrolling the area (possibly even allow for more side quests/NPC interaction) or just letting link salvage it for rarer parts than the usual drops. I would be down.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
At first glance of the video title I was like "really!?" immediately followed by "I fucking hate April fools".

Still, on that note I do think it would have been cool if Link could have undertaken a side quest from the Akkala Research lab to subdue and reclaim a guardian using the Shieka slate, either turning it into a friendly patrolling the area (possibly even allow for more side quests/NPC interaction) or just letting link salvage it for rarer parts than the usual drops. I would be down.
Rather than piloting guardians it would be cool if you could have a single small Guardian as a friendly that follows you around like the wolf link amiibo thing... And then you could customize it, add weapons, and aestetic changes too... Like a pet Guardian... Make it cute, and give it cool quirky attributes the others dont have... That would be cool

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well it happened and I didn't even know about it till today.

This BotW my oldest is about to jump off the great plateau. I've been so busy with my dad and life he didn't tell me till today.

He LOVES IT! Man to be 8 years old and playing BotW I can't imagine what's goin on in his mind.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Well, I did it. After about 90 hours, I decided to storm Hyrule Castle and take on Ganon. I really could have held off on this but there were a ton of reasons why tonight just seemed right.

• I had upgraded my Tunic and Ancient Helmet/Leggings completely so I had 88 armor with anti-ancient juice running through my veins.
  • All Divine Beasts were accounted for
  • I had about 20 ancient arrows with a x5 bow (and a handful of x3's)
  • All of my other weapons were at least 50 or above with most in the 60-70 range so I didn't want to lose them to bokoblins.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris comes out tomorrow and my wife will be commandeering the Switch from here on out...
So yeah. It was definitely time. And what a grand time it was. It wasn't exactly a hard fight because I had basically over-leveled myself but it felt as epic as ever. I was quite content with the ending(s). I really hope the DLC extends the game somehow beyond the end. But that is a topic for another board once we get enough saviors of Hyrule around here, I guess.

And the new update today adds the Dual Audio everyone has been wanting!

(Not sure if that's already been mentioned.)
literally too late

Everything else seems pretty alright.
I expected more out of Hard Mode, I just hope there are more weapons to choose from now. Maybe new attack patterns too for the higher-than-Silver-levels it will have. Lynels should be teleporting nonstop.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Shoulder

Thinking more about this new upcoming DLC and the new armors in treasure chests, what I seriously want more than anything is this:

Please make it happen, Nintendo!!!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I did finally finish the main story. This is hands down not even close my personal number 1 game of all time. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

At a time in my life when I needed the escape the most Zelda, like a girlfriend of old stepped into my life. Zelda had not been out long before my dad got sick, the remodel on my house got started, my work exploded and that brought a tension, and a thinking thru that needed to happen on my part, my wife was in brain gridlock because of the remodel and the fact she was debating on leaving here job which called for a big meeting with bosses............this has gone on for months......

She came in like a breath of open air. She asked nothing from me except that I enjoy where she was gonna take me, and the things she was gonna show me. She was everything I remembered her to be back when things where fresher and new ideas would come in this industry and turn it on its head. She reminded me that sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses, or take a day or two to go cliff diving, just because you needed to feel fresh. She taught me what it was like to play the game, to flirty with it, to enjoy every curve in the landscape come rain or shine. She was brilliant, the way she continued to bend my mind to her carefree spirit and whimsey and teach me about lands that I only thought existed in the most epic of fantasy novels or film..........she proved time and time again that she was the fantasy epic in my modern day, and I adored her for that.

My Link. My Link came outta the resurrection chamber not knowin who he was. He had no idea what lied in front of him, or what was behind him. After exploring the Great Plateau once I got my orders from the king and the freedom to leave I got lost. I got lost so hard that I had to leave things in real life. He had to find out who he was the hard way, that was the only way he was gonna prove that he was the only one worth of this task, the trials of life intertwined with Links own plight and trials. It wasn't easy most of the time, but the boy has a fighting and free spirit this is unbridled. He came out on the other side finding the he was worthy of the title Knight of Zelda..

Once the task was set there was no stopping this beast. He came outta the wilderness with the Master Sword on his back, and a arsenal of weapons and armors that Kings would bow down for. He had not spent hours training how to defeat a major test of strength early into his journey, or swam in the icy river of Hebra to come up short in any way shape or form. He was ready to embrace that which he was entrusted, saving the Kings daughter. Link found all his old memories, meet with his old friends, and was glad of who he was.

He left a wake of bodies feverishly trying to get to Zelda as fast as possible. 1,2,3,4 divine beast in little time at all and the castle has always been saved for very last. I made my way up to the top and that is when I meet the Calamity Ganon, what an epic battle that is. When the Calamity was defeated I was relived to see the Zelda that I fought so hard for. And she asked me a question at the end of all things that has to be the most thought provoking question, so much so I still think about it to this day and ponder it. Zelda said "Do you really remember me?" I don't know that I can answer that question, then I think about everything I have done to get to this spot to see you again. What about all the hardships I endured just to get this type of question? What if I don't remember her, was all the things I just done just the power of suggestion? She had faith in me all this time, and I may not remember who she is.

This adventure will always have long emotional ties for me unlike any game before it. It was the perfect storm, Im an emotional gamer I always have been. And at a time like I said at the beginning my emotions needed to escape, Zelda was standing there and I went with her for a little while.

Koenig

The Architect
Reviving for some more discussion on the game. I am curious what you all thought of the DLC, and if there are any things you have thought of now that we have all had time to play through and reflect on the game.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Reviving for some more discussion on the game. I am curious what you all thought of the DLC, and if there are any things you have thought of now that we have all had time to play through and reflect on the game.
Haven't had played the DLC, and won't until DLC2

Shoulder

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_...8gq/odd_graphical_glitch_found_at_lake_hylia/

Very interesting.

It's almost as though Nintendo created the game with a "realistic" look, and applied the cel-shading over like turning on a preset. Is that generally how cel-shading works though, or are games usually designed with cel-shading in mind?

It looks strangely weird, and yet I sort of dig it. More of a plastic look if I'm honest, but certainly not bad looking.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
To me, this video is further proof that thanks to YouTube and some special software anyone can make a video about how their opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I am starting to wonder if criticism is taboo around here?
Well let me break it down. If by meta critic and word of mouth deem games and I’m talkin about BotW and SMO to rate as flawless games by in large then yeah I also have a problem listening to people who don’t have anyway to make a game even a quarter as good critize those said games.

Now there are plenty of games out there that could be made better by doin this or that. But with games like BotW or SMO I personally think we would all do ourselves and others a disservice by lookin for things in those games to critize or change instead of enjoying them for what they are. And they are amazing.

Koenig

The Architect
So because a large portion of people like something, all other opinions are worthless? I completely refuse to accept that mentality. Just because an opinion is dissident does not mean that it is without merit (Hence why I still value your thoughts on Skyrim and consider them when I do thought exercises around the game, even though you are an extreme outlier). Although I will admit that this is probably due heavily to my background as an engineer, and my own desires to learn the ins and outs of game design; I value all information and always want to see things improved.

I come to these forums in large part because I am looking for critical discussion about games; what people like about them and what they dislike, why they think that is the case, what they want to change, and how the think it will affect it. This kind of discussion, unmarred by brand allegiance and bigotry, is a rare but wonderful source of information that I value immensely.

However critical discussion has become increasingly rare around here; only the most positive or universal praise is ever accepted or promoted, while any criticism that isn't 100% positive is either ignored, or in the worse cases having insults thrown at the credibility of those making the observation . Sure many of the criticisms out there don't come from a game developer, but the same can be said for anyone here; they all have some degree of merit.

I have come to consider everyone here my friend, but it is sickening to me to see such petty lines being drawn on in the sand. I desperately crave open minded discussion and analysis; when I share video's or articles like these its because I want to see some discussions sparked around the various points made in them, or better yet to use them as a springboard to jump off and share new opinions or insights about a game, series or mechanic.

If I can't find that kind of discussion here, then where?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So because a large portion of people like something, all other opinions are worthless? I completely refuse to accept that mentality. Just because an opinion is dissident does not mean that it is without merit (Hence why I still value your thoughts on Skyrim and consider them when I do thought exercises around the game, even though you are an extreme outlier). Although I will admit that this is probably due heavily to my background as an engineer, and my own desires to learn the ins and outs of game design; I value all information and always want to see things improved.

I come to these forums in large part because I am looking for critical discussion about games; what people like about them and what they dislike, why they think that is the case, what they want to change, and how the think it will affect it. This kind of discussion, unmarred by brand allegiance and bigotry, is a rare but wonderful source of information that I value immensely.

However critical discussion has become increasingly rare around here; only the most positive or universal praise is ever accepted or promoted, while any criticism that isn't 100% positive is either ignored, or in the worse cases having insults thrown at the credibility of those making the observation . Sure many of the criticisms out there don't come from a game developer, but the same can be said for anyone here; they all have some degree of merit.

I have come to consider everyone here my friend, but it is sickening to me to see such petty lines being drawn on in the sand. I desperately crave open minded discussion and analysis; when I share video's or articles like these its because I want to see some discussions sparked around the various points made in them, or better yet to use them as a springboard to jump off and share new opinions or insights about a game, series or mechanic.

If I can't find that kind of discussion here, then where?
Hey you asked the question I answered.

But it doesn’t just work like this for you but me aswell. I can’t stand OoT, but your not gonna here me criticizing it out in public because it is so widely renowned as one of the greatest of all time. What sense does it make for me to talk on it when there is no way I have any idea on what I would do different about it.

When you are lookin to bring up discussion or criticism about games that are renowned as some of the best of all time I wouldn’t expect much discussion in the way of criticism about them.

But you can see on games like DooM which are getting great scores across the board, but there are some things that could be made better about it that’s when you get discussion goin on, when games clearly aren’t perfect.

Koenig

The Architect
Hey you asked the question I answered.

But it doesn’t just work like this for you but me aswell. I can’t stand OoT, but your not gonna here me criticizing it out in public because it is so widely renowned as one of the greatest of all time. What sense does it make for me to talk on it when there is no way I have any idea on what I would do different about it.
Honestly, hearing your complaints with OoT is EXACTLY the kind of thing I would like to see. The more perspectives I can see a game from, the deeper my understanding of its design can grow. Even though I consider OoT to be a classic, I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on it, especially if you can dig down and explain why you think you feel that way. For better and worse, the game shaped the format of the Zelda series for nearly two decades.

When you are lookin to bring up discussion or criticism about games that are renowned as some of the best of all time I wouldn’t expect much discussion in the way of criticism about them.
To me at least, the more renowned the game, the more criticism I except from it. The higher a game is lifted up, the more we should scrutinize to learn from it. What it did right, what did poorly, and what fell in-between; these are the things we must first understand before we can find meaningful alternatives or solutions to make an even better game the next time around. Again, perhaps this is due to my background as an engineer and my interest in game development, but these are the things I am looking for. I am not looking for complaints for some perceived hatred of the game, but rather so than i can isolate the cracks and come up with ways to fix them (Without making more elsewhere).

But you can see on games like DooM which are getting great scores across the board, but there are some things that could be made better about it that’s when you get discussion goin on, when games clearly aren’t perfect.
That is thing though, no game is perfect, and I invite discussion of every game, even more so for those that are renowned. Whether it is Doom or Zelda, I want to analyse it completely.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That's because this year has been all about Zelda and Mario, and both have been out of this world. With Zelda in particularly, I really found no point in coming to the forums and writing 600-word posts on how the inventory system could have been improved in this way or that way, because I was much busier trying to put into words the praise I had for the new things the game was doing.

When you see something completely new, two things can happen: you might not even recognize that what you're seeing is new, so you describe it in the terms that you've always described things; or you might recognize that what you have seen is completely new to you, and that you are unable to describe it with your current vocabulary so you must put a lot of effort into developing a new one.

For example, peaks and valleys. It took 7 months for a critic to be the first to describe a design methodology that had eluded the rest of us: BotW is constructed largely from triangular shapes that obscure or reveal other views and landmarks as you climb or descend into them. Before this, we would have been at a loss as to how to describe the game's world, other than using tired cliches about game worlds such as "15,000 square miles, 15 minutes to travel from end to end", etc.

As a personal example, having been to Yellowstone National Park this past summer allowed me to recognize a lot of things I hadn't been able to understand about the game. The way the grass shines a cartoonish, Ghibli-ish green under the sun? That's actually really accurate to how the grass looks in high altitude plains when the sun is out in full force. The colorful, metallic sheen of the steamy lake at the bottom of Death Mountain? That's basically a picture of the hot springs I saw at Yellowstone. Even the way the sun's light occasionally shines in between the peaks when you're walking along the foot of mountains, is meant to closely mimic reality. In many ways, BotW is more realistic than many AAA open world games for more powerful systems. But I wasn't able to see that at the game's launch, and no other game before had actually left me at a loss as to how to describe it. (Though I know Witcher 3 has been analyzed to death, apparently it's the real deal.)

There are a lot of examples of moments that blew my mind in BotW, but it's not easy to just list them because even just conveying their effect requires me to develop my vocabulary and improve my writing. I know it's the same for others because new articles keep popping up 8 months after the game's release, unlike with any other AAA release (even Nintendo ones from the Wii U era). I have a draft I'm working on as well, and I'm not sure I'll have it finished by the time the release date for the DLC finally gets announced, because writing that article has been difficult.

So I guess to make this all into a shorter point: it's not that I don't think criticizing the game is worth it. It's more like I'm still not grasping what the game is, or finding the right words to describe it, and I'd rather figure that out first before falling back on my Rules of Play textbook.

Shoulder

With regards to criticisms in critically-acclaimed video games, if someone has to work hard to figure out what can be done to improve on it, or what is wrong, then maybe that person is just clutching at straws to figure out what can be wrong with the game for the sake of argument.

But here's another thing to think about. Does everything necessarily need fixing? Why must everything strive to be improved when you can simply respect its flaws, and look at it as part of the charm? I sometimes look at it in terms of a classic car. Most are very much inherently flawed, and have specific areas that would need fixing. But after you drive it, you simply appreciate those flaws, and think it's fine the way it is. You identify it more as a characteristic than a flaw. Case in point, I've driven my Dad's VW Thing in the past, and it is snail-pace slow, unsafe, steering is not the most direct, speedo is not always entirely accurate, and the fuel gauge only works half the time. Oh, and if you don't drive it, it leaks oil. But you know what? Yes, you could spend some time fixing some of those issues, but for me, that feels more like a characteristic of the vehicle, and you just appreciate for what it is, and what it offers (or not). I love that sometimes, and I think video games can be that way also.

Sometimes, I look and play a video game, understand its flaws, and then think, "Nah, I wouldn't change anything about it."

One last thing I'll add is many games over the years have had flaws, or not so good design choices based on the technology of the time, so it became a workaround that either did not pan out the greatest, or they simply made the choice and stuck with it. Over time, some people came in droves to praise some of those ideas. Imperfections as you would.

It's like some folks strive for the CD, and most of the time we get Vinyl. The latter is by its very nature, imperfect, and with imperfections, but you just love the way it feels. Whereas, the former is supposed to be its purest form, and with those imperfections gone means some of the joy or characteristics have changed.

I am not saying anyone around here is wrong here though. Merely offering a different viewpoint that maybe we can learn to appreciate flaws rather than always learning to try and fix them.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
General update from ya girl who finally got back into BOTW after...8?9? months.

I am, in fact, sticking with my original plan and not bothering with the Master Sword trial part of the DLC. I know it's broken up into sections, but I just... I just can't. (I killed myself with a bomb after getting the Stone talus to 10 percent health)

GUARDIANS, IN FACT, DO REMAIN FUCKING TERRIFYING. ESPECIALLY THAT ONE MAZE ROOM WITH LIKE, 12 OF THE DAMN THINGS.

Last edited:

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Criticism is not taboo, but, for me, that was well-designed opinion. And I didn't agree with it. So I was criticizing the video.
I like ScottFalco, and I'm subscribed to him because he makes entertaining videos and he doesn't masquerade his opinions as true to everyone, but true to himself. So I do think it's unfair to wave off his arguments with the following:
To me, this video is further proof that thanks to YouTube and some special software anyone can make a video about how their opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.
...because it's not really useful criticism, as it's not telling us what you're disagreeing about. It's simply a remark showing that you disagree with the video with wording which implies it's not worth pondering. Scott might be somewhat critical when it comes to enjoyment of videogames, but he also tries to edit in as many examples as he can about what he is talking about.

I haven't played Breath of the Wild, but I can also see most of his points without even playing the game before and just from observation of what's known to me. Breath of the Wild does sacrifice a few brownie points for other brownie points in the search for doing something different. It reminds me of Pokemon Sun and Moon, a game I actually played where I can tell you changing the gym formula was not the best idea if it meant opting for a much worse and more generic option. Of course, I don't believe BoTW 's changes are that damaging.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Well, actually started up on some actual DLC stuffs today, since I was already on the great plateau for reasons.

Did the OneShot trials on the plateau (that was a very tense, very death filled couple of hours), then since I was so close by I just went ahead and did the Urbosa trial as well (when it came time to infiltrate the Yiga clan, I did the classic Metal Gear thing of using my ranged attacks to kill everyone in the room and called that "stealth") (I used Electric arrows to stunlock the 3 tall bois).

Thunderblight rematch was, for the most part, pretty easy. The only hard part was finding the jerkwad when I was trying to shock him with a lightning rod I'd picked up with magnesis (the flashback filter makes him super hard to see).