Official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild thread - "open your eyes"

Goodtwin

Doesnt matter, the fact still stands that you have to buy a difficulty slider behind a paywall... HOLY SHIT, THIS IS THE FUTURE NAO! NEXT, NITNENDO WILL MAKE US PAY $5 DOLLARS TO PLAY FOR EACH HOUR FOR EACH OF THEIR GAMES IN 2030! But would Nintendo even be alive by that time?

I guess Iwata's ghost is living in the Switch.
We needed some good comic relief around here. I enjoy you.;)

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Didn't they use that in the "trailer" with Miyamoto and Anouma sitting and talking? Well, in that video he touched the map and it made a marker in the world like Skyward Sword.

Then again as I type that up I remember they took out touch screen functions apparently.

That'd be shit eh? Take out a feature only to incorporate back into DLC.
That's so that you can mark places you're interested in, though. What I'm talking about is a way to discover places you never knew existed. Like Nintendo would have a database of sights to see, and if you want, you can have them show up on the map as little icons.

Socar

Its stupid to think that the DLC is taking away the whole experience when you consider that the game is basically Xenoblade in steroids.

So I got the Breath of the Wild Game Informer issue in the mail and said fuck it and read it.
Its not THAT spoilery. I wouldnt say so except for the dungeon stuff.
I was really worried when people were reporting headlines with "timeline placement" sourcing this, but thats not even spoiled.
The game takes place after Ocarina of Time. Which means it takes place in any of the 3 split timelines, nothing before its split. That should be obvious enough seeing The Temple of Time.
Game sounds fucking big btw. Very very excited after reading this guy's experience.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So I got the Breath of the Wild Game Informer issue in the mail and said fuck it and read it.
Its not THAT spoilery. I wouldnt say so except for the dungeon stuff.
I was really worried when people were reporting headlines with "timeline placement" sourcing this, but thats not even spoiled.
The game takes place after Ocarina of Time. Which means it takes place in any of the 3 split timelines, nothing before its split. That should be obvious enough seeing The Temple of Time.
Game sounds fucking big btw. Very very excited after reading this guy's experience.
I read that online and was quite please with the article. It really only made me want the game more because some of the stuff they have included is pretty awesome.

simplyTravis

Something about this screenshot makes me really excited... I don't think there is anything too spoilery about this night time shot but I will throw it in the spoiler tag
I think it might be the way the light is refracting on the snow looks darn near painterly. I can't wait to see this in motion.
anyway.

Goodtwin

OMG, there is a melt down over some performance hitches in Zelda BoTW docked mode on Switch. A few previews mention a few dips in the opening area, and now we have 9 pages on Gaf talking about how it's got framerate problems on Switch, Wii U version will be better, Nintendoomed! The previews explicitly mention these dips are the exception and it generally runs great. Hilarious, DF's video from last month already showed nearly rock solid performance with a couple of dips. Looking forward to DF giving an in depth performance test later next week to dispell the garbage being spewed right now.

Koenig

The Architect
OMG, there is a melt down over some performance hitches in Zelda BoTW docked mode on Switch. A few previews mention a few dips in the opening area, and now we have 9 pages on Gaf talking about how it's got framerate problems on Switch, Wii U version will be better, Nintendoomed! The previews explicitly mention these dips are the exception and it generally runs great. Hilarious, DF's video from last month already showed nearly rock solid performance with a couple of dips. Looking forward to DF giving an in depth performance test later next week to dispell the garbage being spewed right now.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Quick question: Will TV resolution matter in this case? The TV I have is a 720 instead of instead 1080, so I am wondering if that will make the load easier on the Switch.

It would be interesting to see if it does run better in portable mode than docked.
The footage I saw today looked really nice, that opening area does seem a bit hitchy but yeah from the podcasts I've heard its not an issue.

Goodtwin

Quick question: Will TV resolution matter in this case? The TV I have is a 720 instead of instead 1080, so I am wondering if that will make the load easier on the Switch.
No, they already tested this. It's rare for console games to work that way. The game renders at whatever resolution the developer settles on, and TV output is irrelvant. The system settings resolution is simply scaling the image to the correct resolution. Your tv would do this, but the scalers quality is tupically not as nice. It's why a 480p image from Wii still fills the screen, the TV scales the 480p image up to whatever your tv's native resolution is.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/02/25/edge-awards-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1010/

Edge is not typically the most generous with review scores, and BoTW gets a 10/10. So yes, its going to be game of the year material. Nintendo launching a brand new system with what might be their best game of the last decade? Sounds like a recipe for success.
I'll say it again, Switch is the passenger in a huge dump truck free of traffic goin down an 8 lane road with it stomped to the ground. While BotW is at the wheel

Goodtwin

They gave Skyward Sword a 10, I'd call that generous :mmischief:
People don't appreciate Zelda SS, but it actually was a step towards BoTW. The stamina meter that seems to play a very important role in BoTW was started in SS. The Hero mode became a thing in SS. Crafting weapons became a thing in SS. The time crystals were genius in SS. More advanced combat evolved in SS, something that has apparently made its way to BoTW, I am hearing button mashing wont take you far. So yea, I understand if SS just wasn't your flavor, but to me it was fantastic. It played it safe in many areas, but really evolved the series in others. Even the graphics are definitely an evolution of SS.

Koenig

The Architect
People don't appreciate Zelda SS, but it actually was a step towards BoTW. The stamina meter that seems to play a very important role in BoTW was started in SS. The Hero mode became a thing in SS. Crafting weapons became a thing in SS. The time crystals were genius in SS. More advanced combat evolved in SS, something that has apparently made its way to BoTW, I am hearing button mashing wont take you far. So yea, I understand if SS just wasn't your flavor, but to me it was fantastic. It played it safe in many areas, but really evolved the series in others. Even the graphics are definitely an evolution of SS.
I appreciate SS for doing new things, I just don't feel it did many of them well.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If Skyward Sword had a larger, more interconnected world, it would have been Game of the Generation material, in spite of the motion control haters. But that simplistic world (even if each level was amazingly crafted) made me never really feel like replaying SS, in spite of so many great things about it.

Goodtwin

upload_2017-2-25_13-35-57.png

Fuck yall, Zelda SS is a fantastic game, damn near perfection. I'm going back to IGN where everyone is reasonable and things make sense.......LOL

Koenig

The Architect
If Skyward Sword had a larger, more interconnected world, it would have been Game of the Generation material, in spite of the motion control haters. But that simplistic world (even if each level was amazingly crafted) made me never really feel like replaying SS, in spite of so many great things about it.
It did not help that the combat never really evolved on the players part, which felt like a huge step down from the hidden moves in Twilight Princess/ promted moves in the Wind waker. Again, I do feel the game had a lot of good ideas, but the majority of them were not implemented well and/or did not mesh well with other mechanics.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

I loved Skyward Sword.

I'll go one further. I even liked Fi.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I dunno, ss had too many flaws.... there was greatness there, but huge gapping flaws too... and the motion controls were part of that.... not that the motion itself was bad, but the use was... making you land a perfect strike was cool... having that perfect strike stun the enemy for a waggle fest was NOT COOL.... using motion for tools like the whip was cool... ignoring the IR for inferior motion aiming was NOT COOL... the biggest motion controls in IMO was using motion where it didn't even make any sense, like the mine cart stages.... besides motion problems, there was also the lack of a connected world, and the fetch quests

there were cool touches though, item upgrading, stamina meter, dense puzzles in the world itself, the loftwing, the sword upgrading and growing, the vibrant life in skyloft (though that also pairs with the lack of life int he rest of the sky, and the lack of towns and such in the world, even though there were civilizations present, you couldn't go to them...

so yeah I think SS was a HUGE MESS.... and when you look back at the development how many things kept being changed aonuma said they changed the art style several times, he also said they used motion controls, took them out, and then put them back in... and at the end they got a huge amount of support from monolith and several other studios because they just needed to get it out the door

I think that zelda has been loaded with annoying compromises since oot... to get MM out on time they cut the dungeons way back, with ww there were all of the issues with slow sailing and the lifeless ocean, as well as a small number of dungeons... TP got the dungeon count up while maintaining the quality of dungeons but had a stupid long tutorial and a rather empty world... and SS was just a mess

this zelda looks uncompromised, and I am so excited for that

it feels like zelda has been stagnant since oot, with several great ideas, and cool touches hindered by constant development issues and and core mechanic stagnation...

this game looks like they changed almsot everything while not ruining the spirit, it seems uncompromised, and looks fun as hell...

I do attribute much of this to the mess thatw as ss, I feel like we needed ss to be a mess for real change to be demanded... and I think the need to outsource elements at the end of ss showed the zelda team that they could borrow the strengths of others to fill in for their own weaknesses, as such monolith's involvement was from the very beginning, rather than using them to rush it out the door

it is like how nintendo said that there is dns from every nintendo system in the switch... I think the same can be said about this zelda... they looked back, they looked deep, and they took the best elements of pretty much every zelda game, and then eschewed everything that didn't work

and now it is like the franchise was reborn

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Last night, I remembered a post I had made on IGN 4 years ago. The topic was regarding visions of Zelda future. I present here some choice excerpts.

"Open world where sets of Dungeons are available to complete and by completing a set, you unlock the next set. In other words, I could go off and do the first 4 temples in any order, and once I've completed them, I can do the next 4 in any order. This would be used to maintain plot structure, but give some semblance of choice."

"My dream Zelda overworld is quite large. It has a few little towns (like Kakariko village), spread across the map. There would be one on the plains, one in the snowy mountains, one by the lake, one by the volcano, etc. They would all be connected by roads that people actually travel. There would also of course be little outcroppings for the other races (which I will get back to in the story section) for example the Gorons would have their city near the village by the volcano. The most important, thing, though, is that the overworld would change to reflect the events that occur during the game. For example, when I beat the giant dragon type thing on the peak of the volcano, people had better revere me in the village when I pass through! At the very least give me a free room at the inn! Also, maybe if thugs have been terrorizing a town, it will be basically shut down. If I go an expel the thugs from the land, the town should return to vibrancy over the period of a couple weeks. Oh, and give me a horse!"

"So the story is basically this: Zelda dies shortly after the events of Ocarina of Time (like a year or two later). A few hundred years pass, during which Hyrule saw great prosperity. But then, an uprising occurs in the desert and a small army marches on the Castle. They seize control and their leader (not Ganondorf), takes control. He enslaves marginalized races forces their towns and cities to be deserted as the inhabitants look for a safer place to live. "

"A cloaked figure talks to the man, not coincidentally named Link by his adoptive parent. The uprising shook the foundations of Hyrule. The figure claims to have seen the ancient princess Zelda in a dream, calling for Link to save her home. "

So, I think I was on the right track. One thing I am excited about is the possibility of an evolving world (which is what reminded me of this post in the first place), so I hope there are some things in BotW along those lines.

Regardless, it sounds like past me expects current me to expect future me to have expected current me to be very excited.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I think just to spite everyone, I'm going to play Skyward Sword while everyone else plays Breath of the Wild.

simplyTravis

Found a very amusing gif from the game. No spoilers in it, I am just using the spoiler tag as not to ruin the punch line(s)

This kind of stuff makes me stupidly excited for the game. Look at the detail of just everything in this little gif. The animations, the fire taking over grass, the physics, wind rustling trees, ahhhhhhhyppeeeeee!

Cubits

This kind of stuff makes me stupidly excited for the game. Look at the detail of just everything in this little gif. The animations, the fire taking over grass, the physics, wind rustling trees, ahhhhhhhyppeeeeee!
The way the arrow didn't cause the barrel to explode because it was wet with rain.

The rain was his undoing.

Cubits

Right you are.

I only saw that gif in teeny form earlier because i was on my phone. I thought the player shot a fire arrow expecting it to kaboom but it was raining. Turns out that whoever was playing just didn't understand the physical laws of the zeldaverse.

I saw another great gif which ends with a bokoblin dropping a firey stick into a puddle and it goes out. That was pretty neat, too. I was expecting flaming weapons to start grass fires when they're dropped, but that could get pretty hectic pretty quickly. :p

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

Uh oh. Now, I'm even more worried for the safety of Goron, Rito, Kokiri, and Zora people in Hyrule...

Press Secretary Agahnim says that Illegal Gorons are rolling right over the border of Hyrule. Coming to take the jobs of Hylian Rock Smashers and Bridge Builders.
Rito have been put on a No-Fly list and are being stopped at the Hyrule Border, even though they grew up there and just left the area for a quick flight.
Ganon has said that the Zora are living in a warzone and refuses to admit that "Zora Lives Matter", instead saying "All Hyrule Matters".
Now he even wants to stop Kokiri marriage and has agreed to Kokiri discrimination from small Hyrule Businesses. Not to mention extreme vetting of Kokiri because of their worship of the Deku tree instead of the Hylian trinity of Din, Nayru and Farore.

When asked about some of these troubling items, TwinRova has said that these are just "Alternative Facts".

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I'm waiting for DF's performance analysis. Their analyses from last month looked fine, a couple dips but 30fps 99% of the time. It's disappointing to see any performance dips at all, but I think some are blowing it out of proportion, because they have a narative that is easy to track.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Yeah these people who are saying it's a slide show are probably these "below 60 is unplayable".

Since I'm playing on Wii U I just hope I get a good experience without feeling like Nintendo is giving me the shaft
It's the same group of assholes who can "easily" tell the differences between the same game on Xbone and PS4. No you fucking can't, asshole. In fact, the only way you'll even see it is if you happen to have both games side by side. Otherwise, you are unlikely to spot the differences. Watching this shit on YouTube with comparison videos is one thing, but actually sitting down and playing the game is another matter.

And the same shit applies for performance. It's one thing to have a fancy-schmancy frame rate analysis tool that tells you precisely what framerate the game is running at, but under normal circumstances, you won't spot them unless they are truly significant. "OMG! It dipped from 30fps to 28!!! This game runs so fucking terrible!!!"

I'm being a bit bitter this evening, so pardon my tone. :mplain:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Watching the zelda animated series right now... Anybody want to join my TV podcast tomorrow night 9pm pst to talk about the first 3 episodes..
In celebration of Zelda BotW releasing