Official Xbox One Thread

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
anyone who was expecting to see a bunch of games at this reveal hasn't been paying any attention at all to gaming news lately. MS has been saying for weeks that this show would focus on the hardware and NOT the games. e3 is where they plan to focus on the games. i'm surprised so many of you were expecting something different, but maybe i just pay more attention to this stuff than some of you.
from a pure hardware standpoint, regarding features and capabilities, xbox is ahead right now. maybe ps4 can do more than they've let on so far, but if not, then it isn't even close. tvii is kind of a joke at this point.
xbox one games are coming at e3. you guys should have already known this #-o

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/
Yikes.

Just, wow.

"Always on" part two, I'd wager. There will be blowback on this one.
i pointed out in another thread why this is bullshit. i'd just buy the game at full price, install it, and sell it off to gamestop. you will save a ton of $$ on games if this is a reality. but it isn't. because it would be dumb.

I think everyone expected the Xbox One to be revealed as a multimedia device since E3 2012 when the 360 got multimedia-esque enhancements, but I think it's the fact that people wanted to hear more about the games that made everyone so disappointed.
Essentially, I think people didn't want their expectations to be made, but surpassed (Surpassing it would mean showing off the games).
I'm pretty sure COD and Quantic (something) aren't the only games Xbox will have to offer around release. That would be a joke, but at the same time, you can't take back an underwhelming conference with disappointing follow up news (Forced Use of Kinect and Used Games Fees)

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Jon Hicks: On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.
This was recently tweeted.
Well this is all set then. That pretty much covers Microsoft. Since now you can't sell the copy you bought just like how it is today. But the even worse scenario is you can't loan it out to a friend. Or you'll have to pay the fee when you get it back.

Jon Hicks: On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.
Well this is all set then. That pretty much covers Microsoft. Since now you can't sell the copy you bought, or even loan it out to a friend. Or you'll have to pay the fee when you get it back.
Wait what the hell? What if the game gets stolen?!
I know for a fact the Microsoft isn't that retarded so there has to be something we're missing.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Well this is all set then. That pretty much covers Microsoft. Since now you can't sell the copy you bought, or even loan it out to a friend. Or you'll have to pay the fee when you get it back.
Wait what the hell? What if the game gets stolen?!
I know for a fact the Microsoft isn't that retarded so there has to be something we're missing.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/ read the edit.. But other wise its the same as we have it now. Except if you sell a game you cant play it if it gets activated. However now you can't even loan it to a friend or you have to pay a fee...

Edit: THere's another edit that just occured Might want to read that. Now the fee... they're saying isn't accurate.

This needs to get sorted once and for all -.-'

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I know everyone hates kinect but I think it is a cool technology. I think some great games could be made from it.

This last generation has shown the developers really struggle adapting to a control scheme that isn't buttons and joysticks.

i pointed out in another thread why this is bullshit. i'd just buy the game at full price, install it, and sell it off to gamestop. you will save a ton of $$ on games if this is a reality. but it isn't. because it would be dumb.
All Xbox One games have to be installed. Gamestop is going to pay less for them depending how much the fee is.

Ex-Actarus

anyone who was expecting to see a bunch of games at this reveal hasn't been paying any attention at all to gaming news lately. MS has been saying for weeks that this show would focus on the hardware and NOT the games. e3 is where they plan to focus on the games. i'm surprised so many of you were expecting something different, but maybe i just pay more attention to this stuff than some of you.
from a pure hardware standpoint, regarding features and capabilities, xbox is ahead right now. maybe ps4 can do more than they've let on so far, but if not, then it isn't even close. tvii is kind of a joke at this point.
xbox one games are coming at e3. you guys should have already known this #-o

So what ?

Because MS said don't expect games we should be happy about it ?

This Reveal was a Shame.

Console are for gamer, and gamerz expected to see games.

If the big 3 can't understand this, then they get the backlash they deserve.

I still remember the 3DS Reveal, games, games and only games.

I wish future games reveal take more inspiration from it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
What I got from the hardware demonstration was that this is not a console for gamers who want to also watch movies and tv, but a system for people that watch movies and tv to occasionally also play the latest Call of Duty or otherwise massive mainstream game, like Halo or Assassin's Creed.
There is no advancement to gaming itself whatsoever in this machine, except for the rumble in the triggers for the controller. I think what Microsoft was done is to effectively split themselves off the hardcore gaming demographic, and into the pop culture demographic.
The "pop" people, those who keep up with the latest tv show, blockbuster movie, trending music, or mainstream 3rd party game, will have a home on the new Xbox. Those that care about the latest massive RPG (outside of Elder Scrolls), quirky smaller games with fresh ideas, or any kind of clever innovation with new control schemes, will have to take their business elsewhere.

What I got from the hardware demonstration was that this is not a console for gamers who want to also watch movies and tv, but a system for people that watch movies and tv to occasionally also play the latest Call of Duty or otherwise massive mainstream game, like Halo or Assassin's Creed.
There is no advancement to gaming itself whatsoever in this machine, except for the rumble in the triggers for the controller. I think what Microsoft was done is to effectively split themselves off the hardcore gaming demographic, and into the pop culture demographic.
The "pop" people, those who keep up with the latest tv show, blockbuster movie, trending music, or mainstream 3rd party game, will have a home on the new Xbox. Those that care about the latest massive RPG (outside of Elder Scrolls), quirky smaller games with fresh ideas, or any kind of clever innovation with new control schemes, will have to take their business elsewhere.
And the thing is, this isn't a bad thing for Microsoft.
It might actually give them the edge over Apple since they already tried and failed at the console industry.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

I'm not bothered about MS and the "core" demographic; in most respects, I don't pay much mind to "core" vs. "casual" stuff. Bringing in new gamers isn't a bad thing (it's part of the reason I love the Wii; I was burnt out after the PS2 gen and the Wii brought me back), so more power to 'em. And if an advancement of Kinect brings in more gamers, cool. I don't bear any grudge at MS for aiming at a broad spectrum.

It's just that they're not aiming at me. Those voice commands are utterly useless to me. Being able to bring up fantasy league statistics means absolutely nothing to me. Being able to call up social media or Skype on my TV doesn't interest me in the slightest. This is futuristic multimedia stuff, aimed at folks who want it. As I don't even yet own a smart phone, I'm not in that demographic.

EvilTw1n

Well, look at the link from Ex-Actarus...

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
...the corporate VP of Microsoft says otherwise. But apparently the XB Support Twitter account is saying the opposite of the VP.

This kinda sounds like a trial balloon - they may have wanted to see how this would play with gamers, while giving themselves some wiggle room.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I'm not bothered about MS and the "core" demographic; in most respects, I don't pay much mind to "core" vs. "casual" stuff. Bringing in new gamers isn't a bad thing (it's part of the reason I love the Wii; I was burnt out after the PS2 gen and the Wii brought me back), so more power to 'em. And if an advancement of Kinect brings in more gamers, cool. I don't bear any grudge at MS for aiming at a broad spectrum.

It's just that they're not aiming at me. Those voice commands are utterly useless to me. Being able to bring up fantasy league statistics means absolutely nothing to me. Being able to call up social media or Skype on my TV doesn't interest me in the slightest. This is futuristic multimedia stuff, aimed at folks who want it. As I don't even yet own a smart phone, I'm not in that demographic.
I also don't mind what Microsoft is doing, but I do think they are being very ballsy and tossing out most of their current demographic. Typically, game consoles are aimed at the current gamer demographic, but somehow expanded to bring in gamers from outside. I think that's not what Microsoft is doing here. They are stepping out and into another demographic, probably bringing with them some of the more flaky gamers that only really cared about the yearly Call of Duty. They no longer care about you and I, who get games like Dark Souls because of the complexities of the gaming experience; they do care about my brother, who keeps up with the popular TV shows, movies, and plays the latest COD with his buddies (not anymore recently, but let's assume he does).
If you watch Big Bang Theory, listen to Fun, play Call of Duty with your bros, and watch the latest summer blockbuster movie, Microsoft wants you and will probably get you. If you care about playing challenging and complex games, and embrace innovative games that do cool new things, you have better places to be than the Xbox One.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
My final thoughts on the event:

I'm disappointed. I wanted to see gameplay footage, is that so much to ask? It's a gaming console for crying out loud (and don't use the "they're saving it for E3" excuse, they have more than enough games they could show) if they had shown JUST ONE MINUTE of gameplay footage I would have been happy. And it was boring, they went on and on about the TV features (and they don't have Reggie, Iwata, or Kaz :p).

Overall I place it with Nintendo's 2008 E3. But don't get me wrong, it wasn't the console that was bad, it was the show. I still have some hope for the console (maybe once games and footage are shown it'll look better), I'll probably never get one due to the Xbox Live and used game fees and everything else, but it still looks like it could turn out to be a ok console (if dudebro or casual gaming is your thing). I'll give it a chance.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
pretty strong opinions to have considering they haven't even begun to show the games yet 8-|
they mentioned 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs.
they said WAY BEFORE HAND that they are dedicating this show to hardware, and e3 to games.
it's like you all went to the autoshow and got pissed at the lack of boats.
it's like every member of this board went full retard.
for the 10th time today, if you went into this show expecting to see a bunch of games, then you haven't been paying any attention to the news leading up to this show.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

I'm disappointed. I wanted to see gameplay footage, is that so much to ask?
It's a gaming console for crying out loud (and don't use the "they're saving it for E3" excuse, they have more than enough games they could show) if they had shown JUST ONE MINUTE of gameplay footage I would have been happy. And it was boring, they went on and on about the TV features (and they don't have Reggie, Iwata, or Kaz :p).

Overall I place it with Nintendo's 2008 E3. But don't get me wrong, it wasn't the console that was bad, it was the show. I still have some hope for the console (maybe once games and footage are shown it'll look better), I'll probably never get one due to the Xbox Live and used game fees and everything else, but it still looks like it could turn out to be a ok console (if dudebro or casual gaming is your thing). I'll give it a chance.

the show was billed as being specifically about the hardware, and specifically NOT about the games. so yes, it's too much to ask.

Except for me, I had already went full retard apparently. :>
I don't think anyone doubts that we'll the Xbox One will have more than the two games that were shown at the event. I think people are disappointed at what this console will be turn out to be, a multimedia device first and a games console second. I don't know where you got the 15 new exclusives and 8 new IPs thing from (really I actually think that's pretty impressive. Maybe a link?), but if this console turns out to be overpriced by essentially asking you to pay for the services you never asked for, it won't sell to gamers.
Xbox is more known to be the console for multiplatforms and people were already disappointed with the direction the 360 was taking. This announcement didn't help at best.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk

It's a gaming console for crying out loud (and don't use the "they're saving it for E3" excuse, they have more than enough games they could show) if they had shown JUST ONE MINUTE of gameplay footage I would have been happy. And it was boring, they went on and on about the TV features (and they don't have Reggie, Iwata, or Kaz :p).

the show was billed as being specifically about the hardware, and specifically NOT about the games. so yes, it's too much to ask.
They did show some games though, why couldn't they show gameplay instead of CGI of those games? (well, COD did get about one second or so of gameplay) And what's one of the main points of update hardware? Graphics.

EvilTw1n

Well, the hits just keep on comin', don't they?
The Xbox One doesn't have to be online all the time, but it does have to be online. Not just once in a while—once a day, according to Microsoft vice president Phil Harrison.

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku:
I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison:
Correct.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
So far, the answer of the day seems to be "No, but kind of."

Any fee for used games? No, but kind of.
Is always online happening? No, but kind of.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

They did show some games though, why couldn't they show gameplay
instead of CGI of those games? (well, COD did get about one second or so of gameplay) And what's one of the main points of update hardware? Graphics.
because, again, the focus of this show was not on games. that is why they didn't show a bunch of gameplay. their e3 show will be about games and graphics and gameplay. this show was to reveal the plethora of other shit that the console will be capable of. they felt they needed to dedicate an hour to showing all that stuff off.

how many times to i have to say this!?
http://i.imgur.com/4u69sDf.gif

EvilTw1n

I also don't mind what Microsoft is doing, but I do think they are being very ballsy and tossing out most of their current demographic. Typically, game consoles are aimed at the current gamer demographic, but somehow expanded to bring in gamers from outside. I think that's not what Microsoft is doing here. They are stepping out and into another demographic, probably bringing with them some of the more flaky gamers that only really cared about the yearly Call of Duty. They no longer care about you and I, who get games like Dark Souls because of the complexities of the gaming experience; they do care about my brother, who keeps up with the popular TV shows, movies, and plays the latest COD with his buddies (not anymore recently, but let's assume he does).

If you watch Big Bang Theory, listen to Fun, play Call of Duty with your bros, and watch the latest summer blockbuster movie, Microsoft wants you and will probably get you. If you care about playing challenging and complex games, and embrace innovative games that do cool new things, you have better places to be than the Xbox One.

Well, I think it's a given that they're going to try to keep dedicated MS gamers. I wouldn't jump the gun there. The overall specs are too similar to the PS4 to say that MS won't be getting similar software.

But I think you're right that the functionality of One is to move multimedia consumption forward more than anything else. For guys like us who have bemoaned stagnation in console/game design, we're naturally gonna be disappointed in "moar powurr," a slightly edited 360 controller, and Microsoft's attempt to make One into a separate living room J.A.R.V.I.S. from Iron Man.

because, again, the focus of this show was not on games.
Yes MB, we know that. But this is still a first impression. And c'mon, don't pretend you'd be giving Nintendo a complete pass for unveiling a new console that didn't give a whiff off of what makes the games so next gen. If Nintendo showed off Galaxy 2 next to a Galaxy 3, and they were pointing out very small differences in the graphical updates, you'd call them on it.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@Mike D. i wouldn't call the graphical updates from mw3 to ghosts "very small differences" haha. maybe you had a worse stream than me.
like i said in the CT, if nintendo came out ahead of time to explain that they weren't showing games, and just focusing on hardware features, then there wouldn't be anything to call them out on when they didn't show games. if they spent an hour talking about what the gamepad does, miiverse, the specs, tvii, their new online system, the eshop etc etc then i'd focus my critique on that stuff, not the fact that they didn't show any games. because i wouldn't have expected them to show any games.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk

They did show some games though, why couldn't they show gameplay
instead of CGI of those games? (well, COD did get about one second or so of gameplay) And what's one of the main points of update hardware? Graphics.
because, again, the focus of this show was not on games. that is why they didn't show a bunch of gameplay. their e3 show will be about games and graphics and gameplay. this show was to reveal the plethora of other shit that the console will be capable of. they felt they needed to dedicate an hour to showing all that stuff off.

how many times to i have to say this!?
http://i.imgur.com/4u69sDf.gif
I didn't say I want a "bunch of gameplay". I just want some gameplay, I really don't care how much as long ass it's more than a second long clip. How about instead of that 5-7 minute long documentary about COD they had a few minutes of gameplay? Face it they could have easily fitted in some gameplay in to the short time they talked about games, and they have more than enough stuff to show, but they chose to waste time and just show us CGI.
I doubt we'll ever agree on this, so I'll just stop responding for the sake of peace.....

EvilTw1n

i wouldn't call the graphical updates from mw3 to ghosts "very small differences" haha. maybe you had a worse stream than me.
Scars on a dog's nose, hand cuts, and arm hair are small differences to me. To me, it's the very definition of diminishing returns. But YMMV, of course.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
To me it's not about the fact that we didn't see games. I knew going in that I would probably only see footage of Call of Duty, and that's what happened. To me, the issue is that what I see from the hardware is a huge focus on multimedia stuff, and no gaming advancements whatsoever. I understand this is great for a lot of people, and I'm happy for them, but it's definitely not good for me.
For me, it's like going to a music festival where Radiohead will be playing, and finding out that they won't, but Coldplay and Muse will in their stead. I'm sure some of the people that went to the festival to see Radiohead are actually happy to find that they get to see two whole concerts, because they happen to like Muse and Coldplay. I don't like them. I'm there only for Radiohead, so I'm disappointed when I don't get that.
I'm all into gaming advancements. Rumble on triggers, and graphical advancements on par with what I've already seen on PC, don't cut it for me. I hope you can understand my perspective, @Majorbuddah. I'm happy to know you disagree, because I know my brother equally likes all the multimedia stuff (and I may too, if I ever decide to catch up on TV shows, movies, and so on), so more power to those of you that actually are Microsoft's market.

Apparently the "second hand" fee is the same cost as a brand new game...
"However, once the code is used, the disc essentially becomes a paperweight should you attempt to share with a friend, for instance. "The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," said Spencer. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live." Full price for a new title, that is." -http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-xbox-one-will-need-to-go-online-eventually-254231.phtml -
I'll give Microsoft this, they're making some bold ass moves. I think people have every right to be disappointed if all these news bits are correct. If the cost for the right to play a game after buying a game is as much as the game in question, I'll have to double my money in order to play a game. I wonder if that's right, seems like legal issues could arise. I'm no expert, but if I buy a product, don't I already have the right to play it without paying some additional tax?
I couldn't really care less about this conference, they showed off the hardware, which is nice, but I still think people should expect gameplay, not a CGI trailer. But then again, it's not a game console anymore is it?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
i wouldn't call the graphical updates from mw3 to ghosts "very small differences" haha. maybe you had a worse stream than me.
Scars on a dog's nose, hand cuts, and arm hair are small differences to me. To me, it's the very definition of diminishing returns. But YMMV, of course.
the models themselves were of drastically different qualities. you can minimalize it all you like, but there was a tremendous difference in model quality, and that will be undeniable once we get some screens in here. not that the MW3 models were that great to begin with. i don't know what YMMV means.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I do agree with the new COD looking a lot better -- to me. MW3 looked awful, whereas Ghosts seems to be about on par with Metro: Last Light, minus the great artstyle. I do think Ghosts looks a lot better than MW3, and that this will matter.
That said, Blops 2 also looks significantly better than MW3, so they should have compared Ghosts with Blops 2. That would have been more conclusive on the real difference it will be to gamers.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
After some time to think about it, I'm not sure the the used game fee will have the devastating effect I initially thought. It will be interesting to see how it goes down.

EvilTw1n

the models themselves were of drastically different qualities. you can minimalize it all you like, but there was a tremendous difference in model quality, and that will be undeniable once we get some screens in here. not that the MW3 models were that great to begin with. i don't know what YMMV means.
"Your mileage may vary."

"Tremendous difference" depends on your point of view. I saw absolutely NOTHING there that was "drastic." Your definition of "drastic" is most likely quite different than mine. Because YMMV. Talking about arm hair and dog noses pretty much plays exactly into my POV on diminishing returns.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Call of Duty: Ghosts looks good but a huge leap? Maybe from Call of Duty on current-gen consoles but they were never great looking games to begin with, by current-gen standards. I'd say it matches, in terms of graphical fidelity, a game like Bioshock Infinite

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Call of Duty: Ghosts looks good but a huge leap? Maybe from Call of Duty on current-gen consoles but they were never great looking games to begin with, by current-gen standards. I'd say it matches, in terms of graphical fidelity, a game like Bioshock Infinite
i said it's way better than mw3. i also said the models in mw3 weren't that good to begin with. i don't expect mind blowing visuals from ghosts since it'll probably also be on 360/ps3, but it does look way better than mw3.

the next CoD after ghosts will probably look amazing though.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
i said it's way better than mw3. i also said the models in mw3 weren't that good to begin with. i don't expect mind blowing visuals from ghosts since it'll probably also be on 360/ps3, but it does look way better than mw3.

the next CoD after ghosts will probably look amazing though.
Well a more accurate comparison should be Call of Duty: Black Ops II as that was the most recent release of Call of Duty
If it's developed exclusively for next-gen consoles, maybe, although I expect it to fall short of most next-gen games