Official Xbox One Thread

Aki

@Majorbuddah: You're starting to sound like those Nintendo fanbabies over at IGN that you give a hard time to when they say wait for E3 to see the games. LMAO :p I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@Majorbuddah: You're starting to sound like those Nintendo fanbabies over at IGN that you give a hard time to when they say wait for E3 to see the games. LMAO :p I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
LMAO! That is funny MB you gotta admit. Still nothing but love brother.

Needed a reason to use this copypasta. :p

http://s6.postimg.org/83vbjq1jz/MBNavy_Seal_Copy_Pasta.png

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
nah, i'm saying wait 20 days for e3 for a console that was just revealed yesterday. the wii u has been revealed for like 2 years and released for 6 months and the fanbabies are still saying "TEH GOOD GAMEZ R COMING THO!!". the rhetoric may be the same, but the situation couldn't be more different.

Aki

nah, i'm saying wait 20 days for e3 for a console that was just revealed yesterday. the wii u has been revealed for like 2 years and released for 6 months and the fanbabies are still saying "TEH GOOD GAMEZ R COMING THO!!". the rhetoric may be the same, but the situation couldn't be more different.
I know, I'm just trying to give you a hard time.

Cyan

>Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream.
>Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely. Polygon's own reviews editor Arthur Gies experienced similar problems with his Kinect while watching the stream.
you couldn't fucking make this shit uphttp://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
It is all on Nintendo for not delivering marquee games. But...the good games are coming. :p It's not fanboyish to point out the obvious, that marquee FP games will start to be launched this holiday. It wouldn't have frickin' killed Nintendo to deliver one or two before then, though. They apparently didn't learn from the 3DS launch at all.

But the situation is also different because of what has already been mentioned: MS's opening volley was barely game-related. Yes, E3 will reveal their new gaming lineup, but you'd be fooling yourself if you thought MS's strategy is going to completely change. They built this console around multimedia consumption in the same way Nintendo built the Wii around motion controls. It's going to be a HUGE marketing point and corporate focus for them, and it's not out of bounds for people to talk about that.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

It is all on Nintendo for not delivering marquee games. But...the good games are coming. :p It's not fanboyish to point out the obvious, that marquee FP games will start to be launched this holiday. It wouldn't have frickin' killed Nintendo to deliver one or two before then, though. They apparently didn't learn from the 3DS launch at all.

But the situation is also different because of what has already been mentioned: MS's opening volley was barely game-related. Yes, E3 will reveal their new gaming lineup, but you'd be fooling yourself if you thought MS's strategy is going to completely change. They built this console around multimedia consumption in the same way Nintendo built the Wii around motion controls. It's going to be a HUGE marketing point and corporate focus for them, and it's not out of bounds for people to talk about that.
i'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about. what they're doing with multimedia is fucking awesome, and it SHOULD be talked about.
it shouldn't be talked about like they're doing that instead of games though. every piece of information we have about the console tells us that xbox one is everything the 360 was, PLUS that other stuff. it doesn't have to be one or the other. it ISN'T one or the other. it's both.
wii's focus on motion controls was disasterous IMO. it led to a ton of shitty games, customers who don't want good games, and an industry wide push to capture customers who don't want good games. it hurt everyone who cares about gaming. the focus on motion controls made nitnendo forgo making a console that could play the games that are on other systems, further fucking up it's library. it's led nintendo to be viewed as "shit" by a significant percentage of core gamers - a stigma that's currently hurting the wii u.
i can't fathom how MS's choice to broaden the xbox's media capabilities does ANY of that. it will still get all the games that the 360 did, plus it does all this other stuff too. it's a good thing. whether making kinect an integral part of the console will lead to wii-like mountains of shovelware remains to be seen, but i don't see non-gaming consumers flocking to the new xbox for "kinect waggle" like they did for the wii. a lot of them might go to it for the awesome media capabilities, but not for craptastic shovelware.
yesterday's presentation showed us all the new features that microsoft has worked into the new xbox, and e3 will show us what games we'll be seeing on the new xbox at or around launch. i thought yesterday's show was exciting, especially the first half, and e3, between sony and MS, will finally show us what the next gen of gaming will look like.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Couldn't disagree anymore MB. I think what yesterday showed us was that Xbox wants us to have an entertainment machine, that just so happens to play games. And if MS had it there way that there pushing they would literally nickle and dime and totally control everything all the way down to the games you purchase.

This reason, and this reason alone is why anything MS does from this point on they will not get the first dime from me at all. My mind is made up and there first impression to me as a gamer was that "we want gamers to fund our entertainment project. And we will give y'all games that don't push the industry forward. Plenty of FPS and sports games that are prettier". I don't want any part of this type of controlled boring industry.

Very simple, here's my problem. If I was going to cash in on what the Xbox One is, I'd be paying for stuff I mostly didn't ask for (and I'll note I don't have to dislike everything I don't ask for, if they end up surprising me in a positive way, then kudos to them for going beyond my expectations which is what the Wii did, but that's another topic of discussion and quite frankly, the Xbox One did the opposite of that).Out of a games console, I would never ask for fast and efficient TV watching capabilities. Out of a games consoles, I would never ask for the ability to watch movies so much more seamlessly with more features past what I get from like Netflix or Amazon Video. Out of a games consoles, I would never ask for such heavy focus on what what I'd normally expect from a SMART TV or from my new cable box. I don't want an All-In-One device and I especially don't NEED an all in one device when I have other devices in my home that run circles around what the Xbox One can do.
I don't have cash to throw away and by purchasing the Xbox One, I'll be throwing away at least 60 percent of my cash on a multimedia device whereas only 40 percent of it would go to gaming. That ain't wise in my opinion.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Couldn't disagree anymore MB. I think what yesterday showed us was that Xbox wants us to have an entertainment machine, that just so happens to play games. And if MS had it there way that there pushing they would literally nickle and dime and totally control everything all the way down to the games you purchase.

This reason, and this reason alone is why anything MS does from this point on they will not get the first dime from me at all. My mind is made up
and there first impression to me as a gamer was that "we want gamers to fund our entertainment project. And we will give y'all games that don't push the industry forward. Plenty of FPS and sports games that are prettier". I don't want any part of this type of controlled boring industry.

as a rational person, your opinions should change with new information.
if you think xbox is a multimedia device first, and a games machine second, then hold that opinion until e3 when they start talking more about their 15 exclusives and 8 new ip scheduled to release within 12 months of launch. if that isn't "games first" then i don't know what is.
as far as them wanting to squeeze every cent out of their customers that they can, you're nuts if you don't think sony and nintendo want the same exact thing. there's a fine line to ride towards maximizing profits, and they're all trying to head in the same direction.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
As a rational person I know many things.

1. I already own a next gen console I don't have too have 2.

2. I enjoyed way more games for my Wii than my 360. I really don't have to see e3 to pretty well know the same will go for the next round of consoles.

3. There games and exclusives aren't gonna impress me. Not that I'm close minded or anything I just already know that the price won't justify a few new pretty games that all ready don't have time too play.

4. Of course Nintendo and Sony want that money. I obviously know more about Nintendo. They have never blocked me from doing what I want with my games that I bought. And never required me to be hooked up to the net so they can monitor me atleast every 24 hours. MS is just very blatent about getting that cheese.

5. I own all the things that the next Xbox can do already besides talk to my TV and turn it on. I'm just very unimpressed by the whole thing.

6. I owned a 360 this gen. And with the games the new Xbox will have coming I pretty well expect prettier games. Yeah they will have Kinect being used more. I tried it and thought it sucked so basically I'm stuck again with a traditional DA controller. The Wiipad maybe much the same, atleast we have the option for a touch screen, and wiimote/nunchuck support.

7. First impressions are critical look at WiiU. I believe most gamers will always look back at this and say "so it's all about entertainment first, games second". Look at the way there threating gamers in that console. Already DLC annoucned lol, the used games things and playing at a buddies house. Having to make sure your connected too the Internet atleast within a 24hr period, and Kinect has to work for the Xbox to work. Looks like to me middle fingers all the way around to the gamer.

I'm just not feeling any bit of this and I'm perfectly happy with that. Actually I'm relieved to not be blown away by Xbox and PS. Cause that means I can focus on my WiiU without wanting anything else.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
"I already own a next gen console I don't have too have 2."
lol then why do you even care? it doesn't matter WHAT xbox is or is going to be, you seem to have had your mind made up before the reveal even happened.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I did. That being said I own a 360. If they blew me away I have to money to buy another console. Neither of them did so I don't have to worry about it now.

EDIT: Let me rephrase this just alittle. If I was too buy any of the other 2 it would have been MS since I already had a 360.

EvilTw1n

i'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about. what they're doing with multimedia is fucking awesome, and it SHOULD be talked about.

it shouldn't be talked about like they're doing that instead of games though. every piece of information we have about the console tells us that xbox one is everything the 360 was, PLUS that other stuff. it doesn't have to be one or the other. it ISN'T one or the other. it's both.

wii's focus on motion controls was disasterous IMO. it led to a ton of shitty games, customers who don't want good games, and an industry wide push to capture customers who don't want good games. it hurt everyone who cares about gaming. the focus on motion controls made nitnendo forgo making a console that could play the games that are on other systems, further fucking up it's library. it's led nintendo to be viewed as "shit" by a significant percentage of core gamers - a stigma that's currently hurting the wii u.

i can't fathom how MS's choice to broaden the xbox's media capabilities does ANY of that. it will still get all the games that the 360 did, plus it does all this other stuff too. it's a good thing. whether making kinect an integral part of the console will lead to wii-like mountains of shovelware remains to be seen, but i don't see non-gaming consumers flocking to the new xbox for "kinect waggle" like they did for the wii. a lot of them might go to it for the awesome media capabilities, but not for craptastic shovelware.

yesterday's presentation showed us all the new features that microsoft has worked into the new xbox, and e3 will show us what games we'll be seeing on the new xbox at or around launch. i thought yesterday's show was exciting, especially the first half, and e3, between sony and MS, will finally show us what the next gen of gaming will look like.
You're entitled to whatever view you'd like, man, but that's some extraordinarily convenient logic. Yes, in addition to multimedia, MS will still have games for the 360 crowd, just as the Wii had games for the GC crowd (plenty) in addition to Wii Fit. Motion controls "hurt everyone who cares about gaming" (which is quite alarming, as the Wii brought me back into love with console gaming) is hyperbole of the highest order. Saying the Wii pushed to "capture customers who don't want good games" is...well, I don't even know where to begin with that. There's so much wrong with that statement (I've never met one person anywhere, ever, who said "boy, I bought this game console and want shit games for it") that I can't even fathom where to begin, nor can I even begin to understand how you can hold that logic in one hand and insist that trying to capture customers who desire multi-media functionality more than games is somehow completely different (and make no mistake, MS will market to that demographic in a very big way; it's why they built this console the way they have). I suppose it comes down to what features are a big deal to you. Motion controls were to me, multimedia is to you.

It's am impasse. De gustibus non est disputandum, and all that.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

You're entitled to whatever view you'd like, man, but that's some extraordinarily convenient logic. Yes, in addition to multimedia, MS will still have games for the 360 crowd, just as the Wii had games for the GC crowd (plenty) in addition to Wii Fit. Motion controls "hurt everyone who cares about gaming" (which is quite alarming, as the Wii brought me back into love with console gaming) is hyperbole of the highest order. Saying the Wii pushed to "capture customers who don't want good games" is...well, I don't even know where to begin with that. There's so much wrong with that statement (I've never met one person anywhere, ever, who said "boy, I bought this game console and want shit games for it") that I can't even fathom where to begin, nor can I even begin to understand how you can hold that logic in one hand and insist that trying to capture customers who desire multi-media functionality more than games is somehow completely different (and make no mistake, MS will market to that demographic in a very big way; it's why they built this console the way they have). I suppose it comes down to what features are a big deal to you. Motion controls were to me, multimedia is to you.

It's am impasse. De gustibus non est disputandum, and all that.
when i say they pushed publishers to capture customers who don't want good games, i'm talking about the flood of shovelware that was released during the wii's peak. it was all carnival games, petz, and ninjabread men. there were a shit load of people who bought the wii who had no idea how to discern quality titles from crap titles, and publishers were incentivized by that to release low budget, high return garbage that would appeal to them. this was all due to motion controls. i think motion controls brought a lot of people into the fold who were, frankly, intimidated by normal controllers - just like touch screen games. the wii controller was different. all you had to do was shake it around and watch the colors on the screen. it dumbed down gaming, and in turn, it dumbed down the games.

trying to capture customers who want multimedia stuff doesn't dumb down the games. it doesn't really affect the games, or incentivize publishers to do anything differently at all. i can easily hold both those beliefs without any logical contradictions.

It was bad. Hello ps4. So far I can see sony dominating next gen.
Except Smash Bros, Zelda U, Mario Kart, and Mario 3D U.
I love these games, I just don't think it will be enough.
Agreed, I too don't think 4 exclusive titles out of the entire generation will be enough for everyone as a whole (For many it will be though I believe).
That's why we are got 9 exclusives already (not counting the shovelware such as Tank! Tank! Tank! and Rabbids Land) and about 14 more games that we know of coming out on the horizon. That doesn't include what we don't already know about and that's also already more than what the Xbox One claims to be showing at E3.
So I'm optimistic.

EvilTw1n

there were a shit load of people who bought the wii who had no idea how to discern quality titles from crap titles, and publishers were incentivized by that to release low budget, high return garbage that would appeal to them. this was all due to motion controls.
Oh, utter bollocks. Shovelware comes with success and leading the market. The PS2 had a metric f-ton of shovelware. It also happened to have an insanely deep bench of mid-tier software that helped drown it out, which the Wii sorely lacked. It will be no different this gen (if the Wii U doesn't turn around and ends up faceplanting, count on the market leader this time out leading the way in shovelware). "Dumbed down" games weren't "all due to motion controls," it was due to market conditions and lazy developers trying to make a buck. If the Xbone catches on and sells the most, it'll get the most shovelware, too.

But that's all getting beside the point. You liked what you saw. Others weren't as interested with that aspect of the console (and it's a big aspect of the console's capabilities). That's pretty much all there is to it.

Cyan

They're showing what all you get whe you buy a Xbox One, hold on, I'll screen cap it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/xbox_one_unboxing.jpg

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
there were a shit load of people who bought the wii who had no idea how to discern quality titles from crap titles, and publishers were incentivized by that to release low budget, high return garbage that would appeal to them. this was all due to motion controls.

Oh, utter bollocks. Shovelware comes with success and leading the market. The PS2 had a metric f-ton of shovelware. It also happened to have an insanely deep bench of mid-tier software that helped drown it out, which the Wii sorely lacked. It will be no different this gen (if the Wii U doesn't turn around and ends up faceplanting, count on the market leader this time out leading the way in shovelware). "Dumbed down" games weren't "all due to motion controls," it was due to market conditions and lazy developers trying to make a buck.
If the Xbone catches on and sells the most, it'll get the most shovelware, too.

But that's all getting beside the point. You liked what you saw. Others weren't as interested with that aspect of the console (and it's a big aspect of the console's capabilities). That's pretty much all there is to it.
yes, market conditions created by motion control. blue ocean and all that. it was a hit with people who don't know anything about games. the influx of people owning a wii who didn't know anything about games caused the market conditions which caused the influx of shovelware.
motion control -> non-gamers -> shovelware
ps2 had a lot of shovelware as well, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the wii. i don't have any numbers to back this up, but i'd even say that MOST of the software on wii is shovelware. the wii is in a league of it's own in that regard. it's kind of too late IMO for that to happen again with the wii u (since it's not selling), and i definitely don't see that happening with PS4. the new xbox might get a lot of shitty games due to kinect, but i think that will depend on how they price it. if it's cheap like the wii was, the i think it'll definitely see more than it's fair share.
you're right though, this is all besides the point. i'm not trying to convince anyone that they actually liked the show when they didn't. i originally came in here explaining that the show was never supposed to be about the games, but like any internet thread that goes on for more than 2 pages it's gotten completely off track haha

Microsoft's goal from day 1 with the xbox has been to get into people's living rooms a way to push the MS brand and get into other aspects of people's lives, similar to what Apple has tried to do with Apple TV.

Here's something else I don't understand in Microsoft's logic. The majority of the people who tuned in yesterday evening was the audience a games consoles is supposed to be marketed to, us.
If a lot everything is riding on E3, they should have showed off the non-gaming features at E3 because E3 is also being televised to the non-traditional gaming public. That still doesn't dismiss the follow up disappoints after the event (used games, fees, and always on fiasco) ,but I guarantee they would have gotten a much better reception from the people who wanted to purchase an Xbox.

Oh, utter bollocks. Shovelware comes with success and leading the market. The PS2 had a metric f-ton of shovelware. It also happened to have an insanely deep bench of mid-tier software that helped drown it out, which the Wii sorely lacked. It will be no different this gen (if the Wii U doesn't turn around and ends up faceplanting, count on the market leader this time out leading the way in shovelware). "Dumbed down" games weren't "all due to motion controls," it was due to market conditions and lazy developers trying to make a buck. If the Xbone catches on and sells the most, it'll get the most shovelware, too.

yes, market conditions created by motion control. blue ocean and all that. it was a hit with people who don't know anything about games. the influx of people owning a wii who didn't know anything about games caused the market conditions which caused the influx of shovelware.
motion control -> non-gamers -> shovelware
ps2 had a lot of shovelware as well, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the wii. i don't have any numbers to back this up, but i'd even say that MOST of the software on wii is shovelware. the wii is in a league of it's own in that regard. it's kind of too late IMO for that to happen again with the wii u (since it's not selling), and i definitely don't see that happening with PS4. the new xbox might get a lot of shitty games due to kinect, but i think that will depend on how they price it. if it's cheap like the wii was, the i think it'll definitely see more than it's fair share.
you're right though, this is all besides the point. i'm not trying to convince anyone that they actually liked the show when they didn't. i originally came in here explaining that the show was never supposed to be about the games, but like any internet thread that goes on for more than 2 pages it's gotten completely off track haha
Correlation does not equal causation.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
motion-control -> non-gamers -> casual market leader -> shovelware

http://i.imgur.com/bDO0c9N.jpg
you can't really tell me that motion control wasn't responsible for the herds of non-gamers who flocked to wii. motion control had everything to do with it. it was the gimmick that led to the system's early phenomenal success. if it launched with a 360 or ps3 type controller, none of those millions of casuals would have cared. you this a game like wii sports would have moved systems like that on ps3?

EvilTw1n

Of course motion controls were responsible for massive sales. That doesn't equate to shit games, though, no more than the PS2's hardware was responsible for all of the shit games it received. In both cases, the market leader got the most shit games. Blame the hardware if you like, but I think it's patently foolish to do so.

EvilTw1n

Even Platnium Games thinks the Wii U isthe only good console!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/plat_games_wiiu.png
Not exactly. He's retweeting Irishgamer's comments. From here:

https://twitter.com/irishsgaming/status/337261412613255168

Kamiya-san's response seems to be "no interest in your opinion."

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Motion Controls brought shovelware to the Wii as much as being a cheap DVD player brought shovelware to the PS2. Were people blaiming Sony's burning desire to push their media formats onto everyone else for the influx of "buyers that can't discern good games from bad games", or did people just sit back and enjoy the benefits of having a cheap DVD player?
It's not like casuals that buy shovelware are new. They've been there since the NES days, at least. I distinctly recall there being a ton more shovelware on PS1 compared with the N64, even. It's just what comes with being market leader, and I don't think it's a valid reason to disrespect the company that does it each generation.
I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be the one with tons of shovelware this coming generation, and it WILL bring in lots of casuals that buy shovelware.

Cyan

>According to the application Microsoft intends to create "A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content.

>"Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

>Based on the description of the technology developed for the patent it seems likely Microsoft will use the Kinect sensor, which is mandatory with Xbox One, to monitor the number of people present while watching a TV show, movie or music on the device. Presumably, should the content be consumed by too many people Xbox One owners will need to pay again.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14887/article/microsoft-trademarks-new-per-view-content-system-for-xbox-one/

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/the_ride_doesnt_end.jpg

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Motion Controls brought shovelware to the Wii as much as being a cheap DVD player brought shovelware to the PS2. Were people blaiming Sony's burning desire to push their media formats onto everyone else for the influx of "buyers that can't discern good games from bad games", or did people just sit back and enjoy the benefits of having a cheap DVD player?
It's not like casuals that buy shovelware are new. They've been there since the NES days, at least. I distinctly recall there being a ton more shovelware on PS1 compared with the N64, even. It's just what comes with being market leader, and I don't think it's a valid reason to disrespect the company that does it each generation.
I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be the one with tons of shovelware this coming generation, and it WILL bring in lots of casuals that buy shovelware.
i don't even disagree with any of that. and like i said, if there's another shovelware push coming next gen, i see it happening on kinect.
ps2 did see a far lower percentage of shovelware than wii did though, and i still blame that on motion control. having a DVD player helped ps2 move a ton of units, but it didn't influence game design. it's motion control's influence on game design along with motion control's popularity that let to the mountains of waggle garbage released on the system. like i said before, i think over half of wii's library consists of this stuff. it's the undisputed shovelware console king.

i don't even disagree with any of that. and like i said, if there's another shovelware push coming next gen, i see it happening on kinect.
ps2 did see a far lower percentage of shovelware than wii did though, and i still blame that on motion control. having a DVD player helped ps2 move a ton of units, but it didn't influence game design. it's motion control's influence on game design along with motion control's popularity that let to the mountains of waggle garbage released on the system. like i said before, i think over half of wii's library consists of this stuff. it's the undisputed shovelware console king.
every gen has a shovelware king though. The more popular, the more shovelware.

I really don't see how the hate on motion controls is justified. Its not like you had to buy the shovelware.
The Wiimote and Kinect are very similar and have their own unique traits. To hate one, but not the other just doesn't make much sense. You can't argue that Wii games had a lot of waggle controls and not argue the same for Kinect.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

wii was disproportionate.

wii was disproportionate.
And did you buy any of them?

Of course you didn't... so... it didn't affect you at all right?
no, i never said it did. there are lots of things that i care about which don't affect me at all. like the new tesla. or AIDS. what exactly is your point?
Oh I see. So you're just looking out for all the gamers that were forced by the Wii console to spend money on shovelware.
You know, you're alright.;)

:|