Oi WiiU owners, test something for me!

Cubits

A load of people have been lamenting the cost of "official" wiiu headsets, but i have a fairly solid theory which could save people a bundle. Unfortunately, i'm still ten days away from WiiU ownership due to a pointlessly offset release schedule.

The 3.5mm jack on the gamepad SHOULD be identical to that of most mobile phones, in that it's just a three-contact single pin connector. If you plug your phone earphones into it, everything should be sweet.

That means, using a very cheap two-to-one adapter, ANY non-usb PC headset should work flawlessly.

Adapter in question: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=a5008715

Someone give it a go, please.

I've been saying this for over a year. I've been using the cheap headset that came with my smart phone since the minute I plugged in my Wii U to play Black Ops 2. Nintendo confirmed that just about any standard headset will work.

"IplayWithMyWiiRocket" wrote: i'm gonna use the headset that came with black ops on the original wii. it works good, and i already have it so no need to go out and get another one.
I haven't been able to get it to work. There must be an option some place.

It has been confirmed that as long as regular headphones without a mic are plugged in, the built in mic on the Gamepad will allow you to use voice chat. I won't be surprised if this has been confirmed in a thread here or not, but there you go.

"theDethDealer" wrote: It has been confirmed that as long as regular headphones without a mic are plugged in, the built in mic on the Gamepad will allow you to use voice chat. I won't be surprised if this has been confirmed in a thread here or not, but there you go.
yeah, i saw that too. where the hell are the websites telling everyone about this?! they are quick to post anything negative about the wii-u, but when something like this is found out, they are nowhere to be seen posting it.

in fact, IGN should make an article, considering they went off complaining about this very thing, and posting mis information about it.
now it's cleared up, they should straighten it out.

"NintendoMan" wrote:
"IplayWithMyWiiRocket" wrote:
i'm gonna use the headset that came with black ops on the original wii. it works good, and i already have it so no need to go out and get another one.
I haven't been able to get it to work. There must be an option some place.
REALLY?!?!?! OH MAN, THAT SUX. IT'S GOTTA WORK. IT CAME WITH THE LAST FRIGGIN' GAME!! damn, oh well, i guess i'll just use some headphones i got, and use the mic on the gamepad for chat. not really that bad, but i held onto that headset just for this game, sucks it dont work. hmm, maybe cause it's USB, not one you plug into the gamepad. but there are other USB headsets that are out there. maybe this game wont recognize USB headsets, and only ones that plug into the controller. i heard it's game by game basis as to which kind will work, USB or the ones that plug into the controller.

Cubits

"theDethDealer" wrote: It has been confirmed that as long as regular headphones without a mic are plugged in, the built in mic on the Gamepad will allow you to use voice chat. I won't be surprised if this has been confirmed in a thread here or not, but there you go.
Where was that confirmed? I haven't seen anything of it, and the gamepad mic would pick up the clicks of the gamepad like crazy if you were to use it while playing on it. I'd actually hate to be hearing that crap while i play.

"Cubits" wrote:
"theDethDealer" wrote:
It has been confirmed that as long as regular headphones without a mic are plugged in, the built in mic on the Gamepad will allow you to use voice chat. I won't be surprised if this has been confirmed in a thread here or not, but there you go.
Where was that confirmed? I haven't seen anything of it, and the gamepad mic would pick up the clicks of the gamepad like crazy if you were to use it while playing on it. I'd actually hate to be hearing that crap while i play.
It seems to be true. Nintendo probably heard the complaints about it being disabled, and enabled it in the last update, for better or worse.

Cubits

"IplayWithMyWiiRocket" wrote: ... i heard it's game by game basis as to which kind will work, USB or the ones that plug into the controller.
Gamepad linked mics should work in any game worthy of voice chat as 3.5mm headsets are universally compatible and requires hardly any coding to support. USB devices however, unless they're handled at the OS level, will have to be separately coded into each game. So you'd need to write in support for the wiispeak, pdp headbanger, etc individually. I can't see many developers taking that up when allowing any gamepad wired headset is SO much easier.

"Cubits" wrote:
"theDethDealer" wrote:
I'm not fond of the idea either, but still, it is possible according to posters in the IGN Wii U Lobby. I was just chillin' and I was reading through. Someone posted it, someone was all like "Nu-uh!" And they were all like "Uh-huh!" Then the one who was suspicious tried it out and it worked, then they came back and confirmed it.

No, I generally do not talk or post like that.^

"NintendoMan" wrote:
"Cubits" wrote:
"theDethDealer" wrote:
It seems to be true. Nintendo probably heard the complaints about it being disabled, and enabled it in the last update, for better or worse.
Would make sense, they seem to be really quick with ironing out the kinks so far. I'm hoping they sort the annoying loading stuff out before European launch. That kinda stuff gets on my tits.