Paper Mario Sticker Star

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Have you guys watched the downloadable trailer yet? I only just watched the 3D trailer on my 3DS and I'm certain it showed off WAY more than the trailer at E3 =|

I thought it looked fantastic. People seemed to have a few qualms about the sticker concept, but I think it's a really neat idea as they appear to have integrated it into the story, puzzles and the combat, whilst maintaining the combat system most were fond of from the first two titles.

My only problem, is my girlfriend will probably tease me for playing a game called "Sticker Star"
She'll have to live with it!!

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
Words really can't describe how excited I am for this game. I enjoy all Mario games, but I absolutely love Paper Mario. It;s just a great series, and I know that this new addition to the series will be proven worthy of it's name.

I'm really excited to get involved in the sticker aspect of the game and to see how it will change the over all game play and story. The story has been a key concept in the Paper Mario games, and I really enjoy it.

- AniGamer

I think this game looks fantastic. What is appealing to me regarding combat is that you have to manage your inventory of stickers. Hopefully this "management" will make the game somewhat challenging.

running_in_jam

Yeah, I'm with you guys, it's one of my most-anticipated games. I agree that the sticker concept has a LOT of potential. It looked like more powerful attacks took up more space in the inventory, which is a really unique way controlling and regulating the attacks at your disposal. I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

It's also a perfect fit for the system. Even the older games look absolutely ideal with flat paper bushes/trees in the foreground AND background. I really need to get the original on Virtual Console or something.

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
"running_in_jam" wrote: Yeah, I'm with you guys, it's one of my most-anticipated games. I agree that the sticker concept has a LOT of potential. It looked like more powerful attacks took up more space in the inventory, which is a really unique way controlling and regulating the attacks at your disposal. I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

It's also a perfect fit for the system. Even the older games look absolutely ideal with flat paper bushes/trees in the foreground AND background. I really need to get the original on Virtual Console or something.
Although I like all three games to date, the original is my favorite without a doubt. I beat it on the Virtual Console again a few months back and just had a blast.

Super Paper Mario brought on a whole new concept which was really cool, but the standard gameplay of the original game is my favorite.

running_in_jam

"AniGamer" wrote: Although I like all three games to date, the original is my favorite without a doubt. I beat it on the Virtual Console again a few months back and just had a blast.

Super Paper Mario brought on a whole new concept which was really cool, but the standard gameplay of the original game is my favorite.
To be honest, I didn't really get along with Super Paper Mario, and in fact I never finished it. I tried really hard, but I couldn't do it. I enjoyed some of it though.

It looks to me like we won't see a return of partners for this game, something I enjoyed in The Thousand Year Door. Were there partners in the first game?

running_in_jam

I think I'd live without them. There was that strange crown thing that appeared quite a few times, wasn't there? It didn't exactly look like a partner though..

Menashe

The partners in the first game were one of the best qualities of the game, in my opinion. The partners in the second were okay, but not as good as the first. It was an awesome game mainly because of the different scenarios in it. Anyone remember Rawk Hawk and the detective mystery? Or the town where people kept turning into pigs?

"running_in_jam" wrote: I think I'd live without them. There was that strange crown thing that appeared quite a few times, wasn't there? It didn't exactly look like a partner though..
That would be Kertsi, who I believe will be the supporting character in the game, not unlike Tippi in Super Paper Mario.

Ex-Actarus

Actually i'm more excited by Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion than New Super Mario Bros 2.

Paper Mario seems so cool and apparently the 3D effect is brillant.

A must have for sure.

running_in_jam

"Menashe" wrote: Anyone remember Rawk Hawk and the detective mystery? Or the town where people kept turning into pigs?
You're making me miss TTYD
I loved Rawk Hawk, and all those crazy scenarios. It was such a good game! >_> I had a soft spot for Vivian.

"YoshiRider123" wrote: That would be Kertsi, who I believe will be the supporting character in the game, not unlike Tippi in Super Paper Mario.
Ah, gotcha. I'm okay with that, hopefully Kertsi won't be annoying. Not that I remember Tippi being annoying.

"Ex-Actarus" wrote:
Actually i'm more excited by Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion than New Super Mario Bros 2.
I'm not excited for NSMB2 at all. If only Paper Mario & Luigi's Mansion's release dates were swapped with NSMB! D=

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I am really looking forward to the game as well! I hope there are partners, but I could also live without them. It is my most anticipated game at the moment!

I've been excited for this game the moment I saw it was announced. Even though it changed a lot since I first saw it, I'm still pretty excited. I hope they still have the Mole King, he looked pretty interesting. I saw more 3D in this game than Luigi's Mansion, though some say Luigi's Mansion has the best 3D so far. Anyway, I can't wait to see some of the interesting areas will be in this game. I thought the Yoshi temple with the Shy Guy mariachi band was pretty cool.

running_in_jam

"DuskyKrom" wrote: I've been excited for this game the moment I saw it was announced. Even though it changed a lot since I first saw it, I'm still pretty excited. I hope they still have the Mole King, he looked pretty interesting. I saw more 3D in this game than Luigi's Mansion, though some say Luigi's Mansion has the best 3D so far. Anyway, I can't wait to see some of the interesting areas will be in this game. I thought the Yoshi temple with the Shy Guy mariachi band was pretty cool.
The implementation of 3D has come a long way since launch. I really enjoy the 3D in Revelations personally. Anyway, this game and Luigi's Mansion are both absolutely perfect for it.

I can't remember a Mole King...maybe I should make a post full of PP:SS youtube vids to (not) help with our anticipation?

"running_in_jam" wrote:
"DuskyKrom" wrote:
I've been excited for this game the moment I saw it was announced. Even though it changed a lot since I first saw it, I'm still pretty excited. I hope they still have the Mole King, he looked pretty interesting. I saw more 3D in this game than Luigi's Mansion, though some say Luigi's Mansion has the best 3D so far. Anyway, I can't wait to see some of the interesting areas will be in this game. I thought the Yoshi temple with the Shy Guy mariachi band was pretty cool.
The implementation of 3D has come a long way since launch. I really enjoy the 3D in Revelations personally. Anyway, this game and Luigi's Mansion are both absolutely perfect for it.

I can't remember a Mole King...maybe I should make a post full of PP:SS youtube vids to (not) help with our anticipation?
I think he means this:

"YoshiRider123" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:
"DuskyKrom" wrote:

I think he means this:

Ding ding. He got it.

running_in_jam

That is one CUTE mole!! =O

If the Mole King is still present then I believe we can rest assured that the charm of Paper Mario Sticker Star will be secured.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
"running_in_jam" wrote:

If the Mole King is still present then I believe we can rest assured that the charm of Paper Mario Sticker Star will be secured.
Also, is it just me, or does it look an awful lot like Mario's got a partner there?

"DarkDepths" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:

Also, is it just me, or does it look an awful lot like Mario's got a partner there?
Well, this screenshot is from like three years ago. Based on what's known now, I really don't think it's a partner but rather an "item" executed by a sticker.

running_in_jam

Rewatching the Gameplay Demo from E3 2012, it certainly doesn't look like there's room for partners in the combat.

So yeah, perhaps Chain Chomp is just a sticker now. Also I love that dev. I can't remember his name but I love how passionate he is about the series.

And the music is adorable.

"running_in_jam" wrote: Also I love that dev. I can't remember his name but I love how passionate he is about the series.
You mean Nate Bihldorff?

I don't know if I'd call him a developer, because in reality, he isn't. He doesn't actually develop games. He works with game localizations so that we're able to see games made available in English.

running_in_jam

"YoshiRider123" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:
You mean Nate Bihldorff?

I don't know if I'd call him a developer, because in reality, he isn't. He doesn't actually develop games. He works with game localizations so that we're able to see games made available in English.
Oh, that would make sense given what he said his role was on the first title...a misinformed assumption on my part

Waiting for this to appear on Amazon so I can pre-order the sucker.

Ah, Paper Mario... how many rainy days have I spent playing a game about a plumber made of paper, in a kingdom made of paper, in a world made of paper?
This game is awesome. The RPG elements, the battle system, the partners, the characters, the puzzles, the world; Everything is just so full of personality, it's even hard to describe the magic behind it.

But well...with Super Paper Mario they kind of lost all that magic. I'm glad they reverted it to the RPG style.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I wonder if by "world map" they mean an actual overworld, or just the kind where you select which are you go next (like in Super Mario RPG). I liked the seamlessly connected worlds of previous Paper Mario games, I hope they didn't downgrade from that.

"juegosmajicos" wrote: I wonder if by "world map" they mean an actual overworld, or just the kind where you select which are you go next (like in Super Mario RPG). I liked the seamlessly connected worlds of previous Paper Mario games, I hope they didn't downgrade from that.
They downgraded.. It's a 'classic' world map with levels this time.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"19Robb92" wrote:
"juegosmajicos" wrote:
I wonder if by "world map" they mean an actual overworld, or just the kind where you select which are you go next (like in Super Mario RPG). I liked the seamlessly connected worlds of previous Paper Mario games, I hope they didn't downgrade from that.
They downgraded.. It's a 'classic' world map with levels this time.

Ex-Actarus

The game looks gorgeous.

That 3DS is just amazing, when I see games like Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus Uprising or Resident Evil Revelation, Nintendo has really hitten the sweet spot in terms of specs

Let's hope they will have the same inspiration on the Wii U...

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
The new trailers for Paper Mario: Sticker Star are simply amazing. You can really see an amazing improvement in the series, and the Stickers definitely seem like an interesting concept.

running_in_jam

Yeah, it's a shame about the partners,and the overworld....I was aware that whilst playing TTYD the overworld could be a bit frustrating at times, as far as getting from place to place. However I did enjoy the journey. I fear it won't be the same with a "classic" overworld map, but I think I will still most certainly enjoy it.

I'm really looking forward to this though. Paper Mario is one of those games that is guaranteed to make my christmas all warm and fuzzy :3

So whose getting this? A few reviews have been up and I read mixed things about the sticker system and how obtuse some of the puzzles are. Even so, I can't wait for this one.

Menashe

Still getting it most definitely. I am disappointed with the reviews, lack of overworld, and partners, but I really love the series so I won't miss it.

running_in_jam

The reviews have been a little underwhelming, but it's the charm of the series I love, and it seems that is still in tact. I likely won't be playing it for a while, so I'll have the benefit of user impressions to get a better understanding of what to expect. It seems like it won't be so much a chore as Super Paper Mario was, fortunately.

Menashe

Still haven't got word from Nintendo.

I'm not happy that they changed so many concepts from the previous games:

- The battle system doesn't use traditional attacks, but expendable stickers that you must collect.
- There are no experience points or leveling up
- There are no partners
- There is an overworld map with level nodes, like Super Mario Bros, rather than an explorable overworld
- There aren't chapters with their own theme-based storyline
- In fact there isn't much of a storyline other than at the beginning and end of the game
- Interesing NPCs and characters from the original games are replaced by identical toads
- There is very little dialogue, but when there is dialogue it's still very funny and charming

And yet, with so many changes the reviews it received so far have been overall mostly positive. This is seemingly because of the sticker puzzles. More than ever the game is full of strategy and puzzles in the explorable levels due to the stickers. So, basically, expect a very different sort of Paper Mario. If you like what it's offering then it's a game you should get. Otherwise you may be disappointed.
-

Koenig

The Architect
Everything that Menashe mentioned accurately describes the game.

Though I like the game. The over-world was done better than I thought it would be, and It has potential... I just don't like how so many standard elements were removed. I now find myself wondering if we will ever get a spiritual successor to The Thousand Year Door that can emulate both its gameplay, story, and polish.