[PC]Gamepads or Keyboard and mouse what will you play with?

Slowly over the last couple years more and more companys have started making they're mmorpgs with the thought of giving people the choice between Gamepad controlls or Keyboard and mouse. Some well known examples of this is. Vindictus, Tera: Rising, Elsword, Rusty Hearts, Need for Speed Worlds, and more. Is this some way of the PC gaming industry to appeal more to console gamers, and try and get more player base? Or is this perhaps just yet another customization to adapt to a persons play style? It might even be both. With gamepads being a offical option for a decent size of popular MMOs now. Could this perhaps change how future PC games are made? Only time will tell but I for one look forward to finding out. Plus new options are always welcome in the MMO world.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
the option to use a gamepad is pretty much standard on pc games now. far more games support it than those which don't. that said, i think you need both. i play most games with KBM, but sports games, fighting games, racing etc all get played with the gamepad. it's nice to have the option because certain genres flat out play better with one input method over the other.
i think this belongs on the PC board, btw.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I use a variety of input methods for different games, like MajorBuddah. For example, I use keyboard and mouse for first person shooters and RTS games. For flying games I have a flight stick. For racing games I have a wheel and pedals. I don't actually have a gamepad, but I've thought of picking one up for certain games. I like the keyboard and mouse for most RPGs but it's not so great for platformers, 3D especially.

I stopped buying peripherals for PC when I turned 6. Last thing I bought was a controller and a flight stick, but I really can't justify getting that immersed into a PC game so much to the point where I'll spend hundreds of dollars on peripherals I don't need.
So as you can see, it's not that I think peripherals are for kids, I just don't see the real purpose anymore. What plays a factor in this is when Nintendo started using motion controls with their consoles.
I used to always use a joystick for racing and flying games, but after gyro on the Wii, I never purchased a racing or flying game for PC ever again (unless a similar version wasn't available on the Wii).
Also, in regards to flying games, I feel that I have more precision with a mouse and keyboard since my mouse has a high DPI.

[hr]Nonetheless, I admire the people who take their gaming experiences seriously in order to have the most amount of fun. I just go about doing that differently.

DarkDepths

The only two peripherals I've spent any money are my mouse and my racing wheel. My mouse is fairly high DPI (not crazy high, but not a low end mouse), but it works nicely even on smooth glass. My wheel also cost a bit, but it's so awesome! If you hit gravelly road (and the game supports it), the wheel will jerk back and forth, and the pedals are really great too. I've never seen another solution (besides perhaps the gamecube shoulder buttons) that replicated analog pedals so amazingly! Yes, I've played racing games on Wii, no, it's nowhere near as crazy cool pour moi!
My flight stick cost me 20 bucks and, if I get a gamepad, it won't cost too much more! The thing I really hate about mice for flying games is the lack of rudder control, the lack of a throttle, and also, there is no natural mid-point. Especially in, for example, MS Flight Simulator, when you are bombing around in a helicopter that would just as happily spiral out of control, it feels really great to be able to just ease off the pressure on your hand a little bit and have the helicopter come out of it's turn. I can't imagine flying with anything else, except maybe a yoke :D

The only two peripherals I've spent any money are my mouse and my racing wheel. My mouse is fairly high DPI (not crazy high, but not a low end mouse), but it works nicely even on smooth glass. My wheel also cost a bit, but it's so awesome! If you hit gravelly road (and the game supports it), the wheel will jerk back and forth, and the pedals are really great too. I've never seen another solution (besides perhaps the gamecube shoulder buttons) that replicated analog pedals so amazingly! Yes, I've played racing games on Wii, no, it's nowhere near as crazy cool pour moi!
My flight stick cost me 20 bucks and, if I get a gamepad, it won't cost too much more! The thing I really hate about mice for flying games is the lack of rudder control, the lack of a throttle, and also, there is no natural mid-point. Especially in, for example, MS Flight Simulator, when you are bombing around in a helicopter that would just as happily spiral out of control, it feels really great to be able to just ease off the pressure on your hand a little bit and have the helicopter come out of it's turn. I can't imagine flying with anything else, except maybe a yoke :D
Lol your racing wheel sounds like so much fun. I just can't imagine myself whipping out a bunch of peripherals for a computer since I don't really use my computer for gaming only. I feel like having that much fun should be reserved for living room console gaming, but that's just me.
It sounds like we have similar tastes genre wise though. I was surprised to even know that you actually played Toribash before. You also seem to be a big fan of simulators and strategy games.

DarkDepths

My computer is actually much more a work station than a gaming machine, to be honest. However, I built it to be powerful enough to do the things I want it to do, and that includes playing the latest games. It's kind of funny, because as I sit here, typing a response to you, in a break between coding some collision detection stuff, my right foot is pressing down on the break on my pedals :p
Also, for about the past 4 years, my bedroom was my living room was my kitchen, so there was no real distinction to be made. My friends (of all genders and a non-discriminatory selection of races and ethnicity) would sit on my bed and play PC or Console games on my TV. It was a bit cramped, but having both your fridge and microwave in reach of your bed is a luxury I doubt I will ever experience again.

My computer is actually much more a work station than a gaming machine, to be honest. However, I built it to be powerful enough to do the things I want it to do, and that includes playing the latest games. It's kind of funny, because as I sit here, typing a response to you, in a break between coding some collision detection stuff, my right foot is pressing down on the break on my pedals :p
Also, for about the past 4 years, my bedroom was my living room was my kitchen, so there was no real distinction to be made. My friends (of all genders and a non-discriminatory selection of races and ethnicity) would sit on my bed and play PC or Console games on my TV. It was a bit cramped, but having both your fridge and microwave in reach of your bed is a luxury I doubt I will ever experience again.
Hah, it won't be long until I experience what you experienced. In a year from now, I won't be posting from the same IP address.
You sparked my interest a lot when you mentioned coding collision detection. Is that for a game? Because if you know how to script, I'd like you to see me in the Unity thread lol. I (We) could use some good advice.

the option to use a gamepad is pretty much standard on pc games now. far more games support it than those which don't. that said, i think you need both. i play most games with KBM, but sports games, fighting games, racing etc all get played with the gamepad. it's nice to have the option because certain genres flat out play better with one input method over the other.
i think this belongs on the PC board, btw.
yeah I know but my original post was that Elsword now supports gamepads as an ofical format. So it was originaly news >.>.....

GaemzDood

I use the keyboard & mouse for everything aside from action games that were optimized for consoles. However, there are action games that were built for PC such as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Rune, & Blade of Darkness.