Percentage of smash players that follow competetive scene?

I don't.

I love the series, been a fan since 64, already got 100 hours on 3ds and wii u separate (not including playing on my friend's wii u). But the competitive scene don't interest me.

What little I know of the scene I'm not a fan of. Seems like people can't move on from Melee or gamecube controllers, everyone can have their preference but the sheer hatred some people have for Brawl and 4 seem ridiculous. There's one Pro player with a scarf? One of the most arrogant players I've ever seen across any fanbase. No items allowed, illegal stages and such, idk. It's apart of the game, perhaps I'd pay more attention if a little bit of randomness was allowed. Shows what I know.

Now I'm not shitting on the scene in general, I'm sure every fanbase has their fair share of twat blasts, but I don't pay attention. I like to simply have fun with the game. My friends ALWAYS pick omega stages and it's getting annoying, I like stages with platforms and such, not all of them, but variety is the spice of life.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
My friends ALWAYS pick omega stages and it's getting annoying, I like stages with platforms and such, not all of them, but variety is the spice of life.
I know that feel, man. My friends have the most irrational hatred of platforms in Smash as they believe flat stages are the most balanced...for some reason. I mean, that'd be true if it was a traditional fighter but Smash isn't

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
There's one Pro player with a scarf? One of the most arrogant players I've ever seen across any fanbase.
Oh that's ZeRo you speak of. He isn't really an arrogant person and is a pretty nice human. He does put on a persona in an attempt to encourage other humans to play harder when faced against him. Winning these scenes most of the time will automatically place him as an antagonist, and it doesn't help that he's criticized for using cheap characters. He's still really good with those characters though. Almost no one wants to see him win at this point, and if I recall that only happened once.

------
I follow the competitive scene casually, and at one point Mew2King was also hated in the Melee community. It doesn't help that he's a bit reserved and awkward. That's how things tend to be. I no longer follow Melee. Too many Sheiks and Foxes. Smash 4 is more varied, and more balanced.

Tourneys usually allow certain stages with multiple platforms and there are also counter-pick stages, but they're highly against stage hazards for the most part, which I think is very unfortunate. And of course with most things competitive there is a presence of elitism all round.

Overall I quite like the competitive scene, but only as an observer than a participant. I wouldn't mind going against the tops in a match someday.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I rarely, if ever, care bout the meta in fighting games, but I especially don't care with Smash.

I do watch the occasional Smash4 tournament, but I could give two shits about Melee.

praisegrima

I know it sounds wierd but I feel like I can appreciate the game just a bit more now that I know all of the little functions and techniques. It's definitely true that some people don't want enough variation in general, but I think it's not really the type of game that you can play on your own for hours. Regardless of how you play it's going to be fun with friends