Photography Enthusiast

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Yes, as the title states, this thread is all about photography. Regardless of what you shoot with, what matters most is the end result. Cameras, like paint brushes, are merely tools enabling us to create a picture for everyone to see. So let's talk about the photos we take, the gear we use, the news and videos we hear and see, tips on improving and editing photos, etc. m/
Here's my current gear:
Canon 7D + Rebel XSiFujifilm X20
Lenses:Canon EF 70-300mm LCanon EF-S 10-22mmCanon EF-S 60mm MacroSigma 30mm Helios 44-2 58mm
I primarily shoot action/sports photography, mainly motorsport and aircraft, but I also love Macro, Portrait, and street photography. My Flickr account is in my sig, which has all the photos I've taken since last June, most notably the Isle of Man TT races, so lately I've been slacking, so I'm making this thread to help inspire myself and hopefully others. :D

Shoulder

Alright, so in the interest of photos, I'll give you one for now to wet your appetite. This one is not on my Flickr page, so I'll simply attach it. This was taken at EAA back in 2011.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'll stick around this thread for the pretty pictures.
Yeah, I wish I could say I was knowledgeable enough about camera gear to not sound like an idiot, but I don't.

Shoulder

I'll stick around this thread for the pretty pictures.
Yeah, I wish I could say I was knowledgeable enough about camera gear to not sound like an idiot, but I don't.
It's all about just going out and learning it yourself. Learn about exposure, learn about the different settings that go into a photograph such as shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. And then learning about composition, such as using the rule of thirds, or the sunny 16 rule, but the latter is more useful these days for film cameras versus digital, although the principles are the same.

These are just some of the basics.

If you want to learn more, check out this book from Scott Kelby. A very good, and easy read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Digital-Photography-Book-Edition/dp/0321934946

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoulder

dat resolution
That was taken with my Rebel XSi, which is 12MP. I've yet to really use my 7D which is of course 18MP. But megapixels are not everything goes into a photograph, but I prefer to not make smaller versions if I can. Cropping certainly helps when using more megapixels though.

Mr-Chris

-Smashing!-
I take pictures with my iPod sometimes........lol. I've taken cool pictures on my phone actually, using them as wallpapers. I would put them here but it's an old phone.

Shoulder

I take pictures with my iPod sometimes........lol. I've taken cool pictures on my phone actually, using them as wallpapers. I would put them here but it's an old phone.
Old phone or not, they are still photos. And speaking of iPhones, here's an interesting book of a man who took all the photos using his iPhone. Keep in mind this was the first or second gen IPhone.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Camera-Thats-With/dp/0321684788

Shoulder

Here's another bird for ya, although this one isn't mechanical, and I even gave it a name that year. Meet Charlie. :)

Shoulder

Want a DSLR, and don't feel like spending a lot of money? DigitalRevTV has you covered if you're on a budget. And I have to say, if you're just starting out, those are some great DSLRs. :)

Shoulder

some really cool stuff in here

http://imgur.com/a/ggw4A

This photo of the women in Afghanistan during the 1970s is I think the most polarizing. To think that at some point this is where Afghanistan was heading, and then the Taliban come and screw up everything. It's just sad how backwards the country has gone since the Taliban have taken over, and it makes me wonder when they will eventually be ousted. I would like to think in our lifetime.

EvilTw1n

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Speaking of historical photos, this can gave me a good chuckle.
http://i.imgur.com/0l3WFy6.jpg
i come from a long line of military men and every one of them encouraged me not to join, so i didn't. my fam's been in everything from ww2 to nam to korea to desert storm. i've got a lot of friends who joined up after 9/11. i've got buddies who landed in tanks (i've been told the aftermath of a tank battle is fucking insane), stryker brigade, sniper stuffs.... two of them got radio positions where they still have some crazy stories. another was in the marines where he got stationed in japan and just filled ammo boxes all day. i bet i would have fucked shit up in fallujah. but the world will never know.

anyways, cool pic. any soldiers on TNE? @imthesoldier are you a warfighter?

Shoulder

@Majorbuddah Believe it or not (as my username might suggest), I am not in fact a warfighter, or veteran. My Grandad was in the Navy (can't recall his position) for twenty years, and my Dad was a Merchant Marine, but both never saw combat. And that's the extent of my family in the military. I have friends of today who have seen combat in Iraq and/or Afghanistan, but myself or my brothers of my family never enlisted. There was definitely a time when it crossed my mind, but I said I would've only done so if I could not find work anywhere. Nowadays that time has passed. I may not always support a war, but I will always support the men and women fighting it.

EvilTw1n

I considered joining the military. Not out of highschool, though, because I just would've gotten kicked out (I've always had a problem with authority figures). Later in my 20's, I gave it some thought, but by that point, I was thinking I'd be starting a family (didn't work out that way). It's probably for the best (it's not like I'm that much better with authority figures now in my 30's).

Anyways, here's the Trinity test, 16 ms after detonation.

Shoulder

I considered joining the military. Not out of highschool, though, because I just would've gotten kicked out (I've always had a problem with authority figures). Later in my 20's, I gave it some thought, but by that point, I was thinking I'd be starting a family (didn't work out that way). It's probably for the best (it's not like I'm that much better with authority figures now in my 30's).

Anyways, here's the Trinity test, 16 ms after detonation.

I remember that shot. It looks like a Macro view of a popcorn kernel in the process of popping. It also has a sort of organic look to it. Almost...Metroid like. B-)

Shoulder

I can see some of the color being more pronounced than when originally shot, but mostly it's all about the lighting of each shot. Lighting is one of the single most important aspects of photographs, and that alone is why to some the photographs appear to be photoshopped. Overall, I can see all of those photos being straight out of camera.

Now THIS photo on the other hand:

Was practically created in photoshop. It is also the most expensive photograph ever sold, and I personally see nothing of value in it whatsoever. Supposedly, when the photograph was taken, there was a lot of stuff in the background and foreground, but with the magic of photoshop this is what came out of it.

Shoulder

Nice composition with that, and the shadows give it a sort of map leading its way to the glass. And to top it all off, it was with an Old Fashioned, so thumbs up for that one. :-bd

EvilTw1n

^
Well you're very generous. :p

I just used the mediocre camera on my LG Viper. It was a good looking drink, but by the time I got around to shooting it, the ice had clouded everything up a bit too much to be photogenic. So after snapping it, I converted it to b/w, cropped it to accentuate the shadow, and sharpened it (I like the non-sharpened version because the shadow is almost completely pitch black, but it's too blurry; I turned the sharpening all the way up because...well, why not?).

Could be a challenge in this thread - what can you make by using only your phone's camera?

Shoulder

^
Well you're very generous. :p

I just used the mediocre camera on my LG Viper. It was a good looking drink, but by the time I got around to shooting it, the ice had clouded everything up a bit too much to be photogenic. So after snapping it, I converted it to b/w, cropped it to accentuate the shadow, and sharpened it (I like the non-sharpened version because the shadow is almost completely pitch black, but it's too blurry; I turned the sharpening all the way up because...well, why not?).

Could be a challenge in this thread - what can you make by using only your phone's camera?

On DigitalRevTV, Kai likes to put professional photographers into situations using only cheap cameras. Now these can be ANY sort of cheap camera, so even a fisher price camera or something would be on the list, but using the camera from your own phone would be an interesting challenge. I cannot participate right now as I'm busy all day today, but perhaps over the next few days I can give this a go. :)

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
so here's a pretty cool photograph. it's an F-117 Nighthawk, designed and built buy Lockheed Martin. commonly know as the "stealth bomber". it's a single pilot aircraft (how fucking alpha is that guy!?) that weighs like fifty thousand pounds, goes 600 miles per hour, is INVISIBLE to radar and shoots anything from sidewinders to nuclear fuckin bombs. you can kill a whole city with one of these. it's basically the coolest fucking thing you could ever buy, and probably the coolest thing you could ever photograph. we got a fleet of them! USA USA USA USA **== **== **==

EvilTw1n

'Murrica, eff yeah.

Hard to top this for a cool plane, though:

Shoulder

Since we're talking about Aircraft, here's a photo of the F-22 Raptor I took back in 2009 at the Rockford Airfest. The maneuvers this plane can do are insane. It can practically go from horizontal to vertical in *snaps finger* just like that. Simply incredible.

the_randomizer

I currently take pictures with a Nikon Coolpix L820, the results have been very fantastic, crisp and quite vibrant; since I take them primarily outdoors, I keep it at 8 megapixels and ISO 125 for the best results. The topic of the pictures is unusual for some, but for others, it's quite heart-melting and heartwarming. To be honest, I'm kinda wary about posting sample of the work I do as a intern (I take pictures of my work, so-to-speak). ;) It's animal-related and the animal in question is super adorable and affectionate, not sure if another thread would be necessary, but if people want to see a sample, then I'll go right ahead :p

the_randomizer

Alrighty then! Here's a sample of the work I do; just a little background, like I said I work with rescued animals at a local sanctuary and as such, I love taking pictures of what I dub the main attraction, a rescued red fox named Skitter. Despite being an exotic animal, she was raised around humans and cannot be returned to the wild (long story), she is a very angelic animal and goes crazy around people, she'll lick them, nuzzle, squeal in delight, and don't worry, she's been immunized as a precaution :D :p But seriously, she's a sweet little fox, loves people and will be quite the attention hog ROFL. Don't worry, she won't bite, but she will mouth (how they feel objects and show affection).
I love Nikon and the Coolpix L820, a very powerful camera for the price!

the_randomizer

Nice pictures randomizer! Those pictures show several sides to her! Nice stuff ;)

Thanks! Glad ya like it! She's a very affectionate little fox despite having some wildness (not as much as one that was born in the wild), but still very hyper. And her facial expressions are so cute!
That second pic is meme-worthy.
For sure, she's such a quirky and happy little fox, maybe I should make a few memes from her happy face lol