Post your controversial gaming opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
First things first: FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED, NO TROLLING OR BASHING ON OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS. Now that that is done, let's begin. Post your unpopular opinions. Here are mine:I love Star Fox AdventuresI had a blast with Monkey Ball AdventureSonic '06 is my favorite Sonic game.

it begins.....

In addition to DK64 being the only DK game I've played, I also haven't played/completed any Zelda game before Twilight Princess...

Time to hightail it.
http://s6.postimg.org/727ow3l5t/Got_Ate.gif

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

JRPG is a shit label for a shit pandeirng design template.

Same with WRPGs

God there isnt a genre more cross-screwed than rpgs.

Key to a great RPG is gripping gameplay. Beyond simply being addictive.

You also need to make a key vision for how the story and presentation of everything factors into what the player experiences.

Aki

Most of the controversial opinions that I'm going to post are only controversial because they are in regards to Nintendo and this is a Nintendo site. I wouldn't be surprised if the general gaming public, Nintendo gamers excluded, agreed with them for the most part.
1. In my opinion, the GamePad is one of the worst controllers ever designed for a gaming console. It's too heavy, it's too big, the screen has a low resolution, the thumbsticks are too far apart, no one is really going to utilize it, the battery life sucks and, finally, it just seems like some half-baked idea that Iwata got because he didn't really know where to take Nintendo after Wii and thought he could just apply the DS concept to a home console. As we're all aware, It's not working out. I view it in the same light that I view my X1 Kinnect; It's a shitty accessory that I don't want, but have to buy and, in return, have to pay more for the console. I personally prefer the Pro Controller a lot more and would've rather seen Nintendo implant some kind of small touchscreen on it.
2. In my opinion, Wii U is a few years late and Nintendo needs to scrap it and start over. This pretty much goes hand in hand with my number one. I really would like Nintendo to cut back on the lame ass "innovations" because no one aside from them really uses them and, therefore, they are nothing more than gimmicks, and put more of a focus on a more traditional console in today's terms. That means the following; proper online network, hardware on par with X1, however, on par with PS4 would be better, normal controller, and basic functions such as playing blu-ray movies.
3. I dislike Nintendo's whole cheapo mentality and wish that they would change the designer of their consoles. Ever since the N64, Nintendo consoles have always looked like something you'd find in the toy section of Toys 'R' Us made by Fisher Price.
3. In my opinion, the newer Mario games, while fun, are nothing to boast about, especially, the New series. They're easy, predictable, rehashed, a few gens behind in the graphics department and have started to depend too much on certain items.
4. In my opinion, Super Mario 3D World is far from GOTY quality and I feel is severely overrated by Nintendo fans. Nothing about the game screams new. The graphics aren't very impressive and neither is the sound. The controls kinda suck for a Mario game. Not being able to freely control the camera sucks as well. The game feels very much like Super Mario 3D Land. Oh, and did I mention that it's way too easy.
5. Now this point is probably contrary to the opinion's of the general gaming public as opposed to Nintendo fans, but I still think the Wii U can do something special. All of the points that I've mentioned aside from the lacking hardware compared to the competition, can be fixed by a console redesign or software update.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Metroid: Other M is, from a game mechanics perspective, the only true 3D Metroid.

Online FPS is the most casual genre of gaming.

Dual analog is the worst input method for FPS.

The RPG genre is presently the most copied and influential genre of gaming.

Diminishing returns don't just exist, we're already seeing it in action.

Hyper realism is bullshit. Console power is mostly bullshit. Art > realism or power.

These aren't controversial opinions. They are indisputable facts.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/448/989/59b.gif

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/096/809/comeatmebro1294260890.gif

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Most of the controversial opinions that I'm going to post are only controversial because they are in regards to Nintendo and this is a Nintendo site. I wouldn't be surprised if the general gaming public, Nintendo gamers excluded, agreed with them for the most part.
1. In my opinion, the GamePad is one of the worst controllers ever designed for a gaming console. It's too heavy, it's too big, the screen has a low resolution, the thumbsticks are too far apart, no one is really going to utilize it, the battery life sucks and, finally, it just seems like some half-baked idea that Iwata got because he didn't really know where to take Nintendo after Wii and thought he could just apply the DS concept to a home console. As we're all aware, It's not working out. I view it in the same light that I view my X1 Kinnect; It's a shitty accessory that I don't want, but have to buy and, in return, have to pay more for the console. I personally prefer the Pro Controller a lot more and would've rather seen Nintendo implant some kind of small touchscreen on it.
2. In my opinion, Wii U is a few years late and Nintendo needs to scrap it and start over. This pretty much goes hand in hand with my number one. I really would like Nintendo to cut back on the lame ass "innovations" because no one aside from them really uses them and, therefore, they are nothing more than gimmicks, and put more of a focus on a more traditional console in today's terms. That means the following; proper online network, hardware on par with X1, however, on par with PS4 would be better, normal controller, and basic functions such as playing blu-ray movies.
3. I dislike Nintendo's whole cheapo mentality and wish that they would change the designer of their consoles. Ever since the N64, Nintendo consoles have always looked like something you'd find in the toy section of Toys 'R' Us made by Fisher Price.
3. In my opinion, the newer Mario games, while fun, are nothing to boast about, especially, the New series. They're easy, predictable, rehashed, a few gens behind in the graphics department and have started to depend too much on certain items.
4. In my opinion, Super Mario 3D World is far from GOTY quality and I feel is severely overrated by Nintendo fans. Nothing about the game screams new. The graphics aren't very impressive and neither is the sound. The controls kinda suck for a Mario game. Not being able to freely control the camera sucks as well. The game feels very much like Super Mario 3D Land. Oh, and did I mention that it's way too easy.
5. Now this point is probably contrary to the opinion's of the general gaming public as opposed to Nintendo fans, but I still think the Wii U can do something special. All of the points that I've mentioned aside from the lacking hardware compared to the competition, can be fixed by a console redesign or software update.
You can change the camera to free control by changing the gamepad settings(Its interesting to see how many people miss this, its on the gamepad itself(well its an 8 angled camera). Gamepad has a higher screen pixel density and it fits the Wii and Virtual console games really well imo. Resolution doesnt really all that matter that much imo(800x480). I tend to use the Gamepad or the Pro Contoller(Love this thing) I shut the gamepad off when Im doing that. Games look fine imo on the Gamepad since I have the brightness on high,

3D World really did it for me in a way Mario hasnt in a long long time. So I appreciate it for that. And Yeah its sort of easy to go through. But like kirby in a sense, its hard to 100% with incremental difficulty

In my opinion WiiU and 3DS still carry the spirit that their last consoles did with small evolutions and tweaks added to them. But we're still getting new gameplay experiences so its all good imo. But yeah WiiU can do some interesting things itself.

I have a black WiiU so its really shiny, I dont get that fisher price feel from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVisA98DAkw

I think people only say WiiU's a few years old (even thought its parts are now where near that) due to how nIntendo handled the Wii. ( They clearly intended for that audience to bleed over into the WiiU anyway, didnt quite happen so elegantly)

I really dislike the term overrated but if I had to apply that term to one game it would have to be Earthbound. It's a classic case of style over substance. The pacing is uneven, the inventory is clunky, and the battle system leaves much to be desired. It's a good game when you add the sum of its parts but I'd vouch for Final Fantasy VI, Fire Emblem 4 or Chronno Trigger as the top SNES rpgs. Personally I feel that its sequel Mother 3/Earthbound 2 fixed most of the core problems and was a much more enjoyable game.

I never understood the scrapping a console and starting over argument (among many others like it), as if it is really that easy (even with the Vita), but to address this one specifically.

Yeah, let's just pull a SEGA, screw over the 4.4 million+ Wii U owners, and say "we were just kidding. This wasn't our next-generation console. This is!"

At that point, not only would Nintendo have the smallest install base, but they would have lost all trust from their original consumer (and developer) base and it would be negative press all around (opposed to all the postitive press they've been getting recently).

I mean I get it, some people aren't pleased with the way the Wii U's been selling, but let's not get crazy here and act like the majority of the problems didn't stem from Nintendo not supporting their system for an entire year.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
I don't get why people think dropping the uniqueness and bumping up the graphics would be a boon to Nintendo? I mean, graphics whores own PS4's (and PC's too).

Not to mention games would be less fun without the GamePad in my opinion. Nintendo Land wouldn't work. I probably wouldn't own or enjoy NFS Most Wanted (Accelerometer steering of gtfo). 3D World could be done on another console, but it would be less fun.

When a third party game is designed well on the Wii U, I buy it over the PC version.

It's not a case of playing consoles over games, it's more a case that the game would be inferior on another console.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Who cares about the little blip in the water for the arcade game that is Nintendo Land. I personally find the F-zero game a little gimimicky but, Metroid blast is a shitload of fun. So is the Link and pIkmin games. I hate DK. I like Ninja and I like baloon fight

The strategic options two, or Gamepad vs Gamepad or local multi asynch the game pad affords is

And the ideas cubits has cooking up

And really having the power to utilize two perspectives is cool as hell.
Gaah so much potential it gets my brain twitching ready to make something great!
Great now you got me worked up. Back to writing!

Not to mention I think its one of NIntendo's best fullsize controllers due to the quality of the sticks and buttons.

I want Nintendo to Greenlight A Zengeki No Reginleiv, a MOBA and a The Last Story game; Pandora's Tower too

They['re tailored for a two screen experience supplemented by Wii motes imo.

TLS especaily.
Regarding Zangeki I think you can have the Gamepad be the sensor bar and have all the motion registrations and then watch the action unfold on the screen. Or you could control it with the stylus and see that sweet titan musou action.

Virtual Boy was fucking awesome.
I think that PS4 and Xbox One "graphical improvements" suck dick and aren't worth the $400 or $500.
I will never buy an Xbox One. I will buy a PS4 when it's under $300.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC is the best Wii U game out.
People who cry and bitch about system sales/software sales online that AREN'T reporting the info but are just putting in their 2 cents are fucking morons. JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME/SYSTEM IF YOU LIKE IT. WHO CARES IF IT SELLS ONE COPY AND YOU ARE THE ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO BOUGHT IT!
3rd Party Developers are lazy as FUCK when it comes to the Wii U. They just want to rehash shit between Sony and Microsoft systems instead of trying to be different.
Sega needs to stop with all the Sonic games.
NBA 2K has went from a great franchise to a piece of shit and doesn't represent basketball since there is no more competition. Same with Madden and football.

Tucker

I will never buy an Xbox One. I will buy a PS4 when it's under $300.
Not really controversial, that. Though, I do see myself in an Xbox One before a PS4 this gen unless Sony shows up with some compelling software. I'll PC the multi-plats.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Elop will kill the Xbox.

NIntendoom spells the end of the gaming industry.
Means the sales will not follow their natural curve and it will be about the king of the smallest mound.

Status quo doom spells the end.

Tucker

Elop will kill the Xbox.

NIntendoom spells the end of the gaming industry.
Means the sales will not follow their natural curve and it will be about the king of the smallest mound.

Status quo doom spells the end.
Wut?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Aside from the last one, none of them are very controversial opinions, not here or at the Wii/Wii-U Boards. Hell, at the Wii/Wii-U Boards, I can definitely see a decent amount of the posters actually agreeing with you

OT: I guess I'll go

Every Naughty Dog game this gen is overrated
The Vita has tons of potential, as does the Wii-U
Ocarina of Time is beyond overrated
My favorite system of all time is the DS
My favorite Sony game is Shadow of the Colossus
A colorful artstyle is better than gritty realism any day
The GameCube is the 2nd best Nintendo home console of all time

Tucker

Every Naughty Dog game this gen is overrated

I haven't played Last of Us yet, but 100% agree where Uncharted is concerned - big step back for such a creative studio.

The Vita has tons of potential, as does the Wii-U

Definitely agreed - moreso with the Wii U than the Vita, but even still.

Ocarina of Time is beyond overrated

Dear fucking god yes.

My favorite system of all time is the DS
It's up there for me, but I find it hard to get into handheld gaming. It's a personal hang-up, but it holds it back from console-of-all-time for me. God damn I love me some Pokemon, though.

My favorite Sony game is Shadow of the Colossus
I haven't sat down and though about what my favourite Sony game would be, but this is way up there.

A colorful artstyle is better than gritty realism any day
Just about any day. Gritty realism works for some things, but the gameplay / narrative should match the aesthetic.

The GameCube is the 2nd best Nintendo home console of all time
It could have even been number one if it had done better at market.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I played dead or alive volleyball on the Xbox and I liked it. I was playing against a girl at a party, and was actually enjoying the gameplay.
I think I'm doing this wrong...
Anyways, I was amused she never commented on how sexualized the girls were. She was a volleyball player, and she kept commenting on how high the girls could jump in the sand.
"They're ninjas."

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I thought Uncharted 2 was a pretty but mechanically mediocre game. Only the close quarters combat was fun.
I think the story is the worst part of all Metal Gear Solid games.
I don't like Sony's recent focus on western games. I think the best Sony games are the Japanese ones, like Shadow of the Colossus and Tokyo Jungle.
Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a better game than Marvel vs Capcom 3.
I can't stand the majority of western games' soundtracks. It's just a bunch of ambience with the occasional imitation of Hans Zimmer, who I also don't like at all.
I like Deus Ex: Invisible War a lot.
I like the mid-budget games on Wii better than most of the AAA games I've played on X360 or PC. I think the sole exceptions to this are Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
On that note, I think Dragon's Dogma is the best RPG I've played in ages, along with Xenoblade (though not quite there).
I can't bring myself to keep playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas. They are thoroughly dull to me.
I would sooner have a sequel to Metroid: Other M than to Metroid Prime 3.

Virtual Boy was fucking awesome.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I hate the emphasis on cinematics and pretentious narrative this industry has been following even to this day Im all about the gameplay. Regardless of genre.

The extra fluff just doesnt do it for me and sometimes it just takes me out the game itself.

So I just go back and hop on some F-zero

Tucker

I can't stand the majority of western games' soundtracks. It's just a bunch of ambience with the occasional imitation of Hans Zimmer, who I also don't like at all.
I hear you on that... mostly. For instance, most of the Halo soundtracks are ambient garbage, but the themes definitely hit home for me - especially Reach. I find Marty O'Donnell to be a cut above Hans Zimmer when it comes to designing strong, memorable themes. Outside of that, I've listened to the music for Oblivion, taken directly from the game files, an enormous amount of times. In that case, I find the main theme memorable, but my favourite stuff is all the town and environment music. It's just so damn soothing.

Tucker

I hate the emphasis on cinematics and pretentious narrative this industry has been following even to this day Im all about the gameplay. Regardless of genre.

The extra fluff just doesnt do it for me and sometimes it just takes me out the game itself.

I'm all for narrative, but I want it to mesh with the game. Half-Life 2 accomplished this - there was a lot to think about, but you were never taken out of control of the character. It reduced the feeling of being in a film, and it simultaneously increased immersion as it was now you, as Gordon, who is being expositioned upon. In terms of non-control cinematics, I think GTA V did a good job of keeping the feel right across the course of the game; odd seeing how far off the mark GTA IV was. The Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay also managed to keep a decent balance - introducing third-person cameras for certain game actions was a master-stroke and really helped limit the disconnect. I do agree though that the onslaught of cinematics does get a bit tiring (see: Call of Duty, Halo 3 forward, etc.) when it's not handled just so.

I just noticed that all the examples in this post are shooters. I guess I started with Half-Life 2
and it was just easier to compare in-genre.

Tucker

I've been commenting too much on other people's posts as they make me think of points I have to make (in general).

Here's another one from the Tucker archives:
I think Mercenaries is a superior game to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I stress game here, because I vastly prefer the narrative in Vice City, but I found the gameplay stronger in the former.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I think a Pokemon X Monster Hunter would be cool, hunting mutant demons with two pokemon partnerss and they could take a page from the reburst pokemon manga and let you fuse with them and fight it out. I think it'd be sweet

Personally I want to see a lot more Cross OVer RPG's from NIntendo. They have 10rpg franchises to pull from in house not to mention the fantastic 3rd party ones they have had on their system.

Otherwise I just want NIntendo to make a free roaming Kid Icarus Adventure brawler that lets you switch from Shmup to Melee on the fly as you explore heaven and hell

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I'm all for narrative, but I want it to mesh with the game. Half-Life 2 accomplished this - there was a lot to think about, but you were never taken out of control of the character. It reduced the feeling of being in a film, and it simultaneously increased immersion as it was now you, as Gordon, who is being expositioned upon. In terms of non-control cinematics, I think GTA V did a good job of keeping the feel right across the course of the game; odd seeing how far off the mark GTA IV was. The Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay also managed to keep a decent balance - introducing third-person cameras for certain game actions was a master-stroke and really helped limit the disconnect. I do agree though that the onslaught of cinematics does get a bit tiring (see: Call of Duty, Halo 3 forward, etc.) when it's not handled just so.

I just noticed that all the examples in this post are shooters. I guess I started with Half-Life 2
and it was just easier to compare in-genre.
I feel you on that. Personally I think that'x Something Xenoblade did really well.

Between Xenogears and Xenosaga and looking at Xenoblade, you can clearly see how Nintendo influenced them into a more gameplay oriented manner. Even more so with the new X games. Where they're really trying to make addictive "flashy" gameplay.

Heck even with Golden Sun, its really fun to play combat wise but its also fun to watch with the summons, but alot of the gameplay is also in the puzzle and overworld level design/exploration in the game.

Tucker

I'm going to turn up the font size, 'cause this opinion is going to rustle a lot of jimmies:Mass Effect > Mass Effect 3 > Mass Effect 2
Not only that, but without the context of the Mass Effect canon, I'd never have revisited the second one because of how bland the gameplay is.

Tucker

^ see here for a full explanation: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/comment/58333#Comment_58333

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I think so too and that's upsetting me^

This rush towards making themselves movie like or smartphone like or anything not reliant on being able to connect to consumers like toys do when its Elmo gone rad is killing what makes games flourish. Same way that books do.

Tucker

Wow, I expected to start a big fuckin' row with that Mass Effect opinion... I wonder if I need to re-frame my argument and post it in this thread

Tucker

You know, EA's conduct might be questionable, but they do make a few good games.
You know, kind of like how some of Disney's conduct is questionable, but they make a "few" good movies?

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

No they literally turn everything into shit in the long run. No need to invest yourself into something they're going to run into the ground in 5 years.

Not to mention its one of the worst run companies around.

Status
Not open for further replies.