Power Is Everything - 2022 Games Completed Thread

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Please remember to type out your game title as Insert Game(Platform Abbreviation) (example: Mega Man 5 (NES)) Please do not italicize or bold it or anything like that, as it can bork the formatting.

Also, a game that is rereleased on a later platform (as in, Virtual Console or what have you) is counted as the platform the game was rereleased on. So Ocarina of Time on the Wii VC is counted as 'Ocarina of Time (Wii)' instead of 'Ocarina of Time (N64)'

A game that releases on both the XB1 and the XSX needs to have the "Optimized for XSX" Tag on it for it to count as XSX. (you can filter for this in your "My Games and Apps" tab) A game that releases on PS4 as well needs to have the "PS5" tag (according to my professional source they're separated in your library as well) to count as the PS5 version. These are not counted as rereleases so they don't fall under the rule above.

(NES) Nintendo Entertainment System
(SNES) Super Nintendo Entertainment System
(N64) Nintendo 64
(GCN) Nintendo Gamecube
(Wii) Nintendo Wii
(Wii U) Nintendo Wii U
(NS) Nintendo Switch
(GB) Game Boy
(GBC) Game Boy Color
(GBA) Game Boy Advance
(VB) Virtual Boy
(DS) Nintendo DS
(3DS) Nintendo 3DS
(NESCL) Nintendo Classic
(SNESCL) Super Nintendo Classic

(PS1) Sony Playstation
(PS2) Playstation 2
(PS3) Playstation 3
(PS4) Playstation 4
(PS5) Playstation 5
(PSP) Playstation Portable
(Vita) Playstation Vita

(Xbox) Microsoft Xbox
(360) Xbox 360
(XB1) Xbox 1
(XSX) Xbox Series X

(Mobile) Games on Phones
(PC) Games on PC
(C64) Commodore 64

(WS) Wonderswan
(NG) Neogeo
(NGP) Neogeo Pocket
(NNG) Nokia NGage
(3DO) 3DO
(SMS) Sega Master System
(SG) Sega Genesis
(SS) Sega Saturn
(DC) Sega Dreamcast
(GG) Sega Game Gear
(SGM) Sega Genesis Mini

Crysis 2 Remastered* (XSX)

They did it, the mad lads at Crytek did it. They gave reaction time to the A.I. in this game.

I really enjoyed this one. I did a second playthrough and got all the achievements. Unlike Crysis 1 this isn't a game of two halves, it's pretty consistent throughout. Since it was the first Crysis to come to consoles it scaled back the environments and I'm not that upset about it. Crysis 1's levels were huge for a non-open world FPS, but ultimately I found most of the space pretty barren. Most of the action happened in enemy bases and outposts, but the space between them didn't amount to much gameplay wise. Instead, Crysis 2 has 19 levels where they each have one big section with multiple routes and ways to achieve your objection. So you'll start on some rooftops or city streets, maybe fight a squad of soldiers, run through a building then overlook a pretty large city block. There will be abandoned cars along the roads, multiple side streets, multiple buildings to enter to help flank, etc. That's just one level for example. I don't think making the environments smaller diminishes Crysis' combat mechanics much.

Sadly my only real gripe with the design is some nanosuit abilities were toned down. Maximum speed is way slower, I understand why, and it's not like it's too slow, but I wanna go fast, Sonic speed. Maximum strength is also weird, I didn't realize on my first playthrough but if you hold an item or enemy, you can hold the throw button to throw further. Cloak though is fucking overpowered in this game. My second playthrough was on the hardest difficulty option which there are 4 of. It's so easy to just cloak and simply walk by everything. I managed to do some levels without killing anyone. Cheating? Maybe. I did have the upgrade that gave me more cloak time, but even without it I would just have to recharge behind cover a bit more often. There are some mandatory fights, and I did fight sometimes just to say I did some encounters, but still, pretty silly.

On the hardest difficulty your health melts really fast, and maximum armor doesn't help as much either. You have to play a lot more carefully so if you want to enjoy the combat at it's fullest, I think Normal is satisfactory, I died a nice bit on it so it does offer a good challenge without going overboard.

I also liked the story, but I'm sure a lot of that is due to the presentation and music. It's an alien invasion in New York so something we've seen countless times, but there's some smart choices that elevates it. First off the music. Hans Zimmer did the main theme and it's fantastic, almost sounds like a horror game at times. The rest of the OST is great too, really sells how messed up the situation is, and raises the tensions and stakes more than the dialogue and voice acting would do on it's own. Secondly, my fuck this game is beautiful. At first it felt like I couldn't focus on it simply because my eyeballs can only take so many graphics at once haha. I'm not a graphics whore, I prefer a stable frame rate above all else, but this made me want to play it on a Series X on a 4K display despite thinking my Series S and 1080p tv were so beautiful regardless. Some levels I really had to stop and just soak it all in. Hats off to Crytek and Saber Interactive.

Last thing I'll say is though this game can be buggy. The weird thing is most of the bugs I got where on my second playthrough:
One time I could pick up any weapons except the rocket launcher.
Picking up multiple C4's seems weird as I'd pick one up and couldn't pick up the second unless I backed away first then come back.
A huge metal container or piece of ship was on a bridge, but it had no collision so I could walk right through it.
Couldn't move and the enemy didn't do anything, paused the game but no options like "resume, load save, etc" showed up so I had to hard reset. Enemies glitching out by getting stuck on geometry or each other, not reacting to me shooting someone right next to them.
One collectible is flat out invisible with no prompt, but you can still pick it up by holding the pick up button.
And of course, I'm forever stuck on 99% complete since on my profile it says I got 12/13 attachments collected, but the 13th is multiplayer only and this remaster has no multiplayer mode. Whoopsie.
Besides the crash, none of these were game breaking, but it's still a shame when I'm in the moment, completely absorbed by the visuals, music, gameplay and story only for it to be ruined by seeing an enemy vibrate up and down quickly between two pieces of geometry.

Overall, great game. I recommend it and I recommend not skipping everything by cloaking. Use all your tools to best the enemies. Otherwise you won't kill anyone and the dialogue will still say things like "he wiped out half my men back there". Uhh, no I fucking didn't haha.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Crysis 2* (XSX)

They did it, the mad lads at Crytek did it. They gave reaction time to the A.I. in this game.

I really enjoyed this one. I did a second playthrough and got all the achievements. Unlike Crysis 1 this isn't a game of two halves, it's pretty consistent throughout. Since it was the first Crysis to come to consoles it scaled back the environments and I'm not that upset about it. Crysis 1's levels were huge for a non-open world FPS, but ultimately I found most of the space pretty barren. Most of the action happened in enemy bases and outposts, but the space between them didn't amount to much gameplay wise. Instead, Crysis 2 has 19 levels where they each have one big section with multiple routes and ways to achieve your objection. So you'll start on some rooftops or city streets, maybe fight a squad of soldiers, run through a building then overlook a pretty large city block. There will be abandoned cars along the roads, multiple side streets, multiple buildings to enter to help flank, etc. That's just one level for example. I don't think making the environments smaller diminishes Crysis' combat mechanics much.

Sadly my only real gripe with the design is some nanosuit abilities were toned down. Maximum speed is way slower, I understand why, and it's not like it's too slow, but I wanna go fast, Sonic speed. Maximum strength is also weird, I didn't realize on my first playthrough but if you hold an item or enemy, you can hold the throw button to throw further. Cloak though is fucking overpowered in this game. My second playthrough was on the hardest difficulty option which there are 4 of. It's so easy to just cloak and simply walk by everything. I managed to do some levels without killing anyone. Cheating? Maybe. I did have the upgrade that gave me more cloak time, but even without it I would just have to recharge behind cover a bit more often. There are some mandatory fights, and I did fight sometimes just to say I did some encounters, but still, pretty silly.

On the hardest difficulty your health melts really fast, and maximum armor doesn't help as much either. You have to play a lot more carefully so if you want to enjoy the combat at it's fullest, I think Normal is satisfactory, I died a nice bit on it so it does offer a good challenge without going overboard.

I also liked the story, but I'm sure a lot of that is due to the presentation and music. It's an alien invasion in New York so something we've seen countless times, but there's some smart choices that elevates it. First off the music. Hans Zimmer did the main theme and it's fantastic, almost sounds like a horror game at times. The rest of the OST is great too, really sells how messed up the situation is, and raises the tensions and stakes more than the dialogue and voice acting would do on it's own. Secondly, my fuck this game is beautiful. At first it felt like I couldn't focus on it simply because my eyeballs can only take so many graphics at once haha. I'm not a graphics whore, I prefer a stable frame rate above all else, but this made me want to play it on a Series X on a 4K display despite thinking my Series S and 1080p tv were so beautiful regardless. Some levels I really had to stop and just soak it all in. Hats off to Crytek and Saber Interactive.

Last thing I'll say is though this game can be buggy. The weird thing is most of the bugs I got where on my second playthrough:
One time I could pick up any weapons except the rocket launcher.
Picking up multiple C4's seems weird as I'd pick one up and couldn't pick up the second unless I backed away first then come back.
A huge metal container or piece of ship was on a bridge, but it had no collision so I could walk right through it.
Couldn't move and the enemy didn't do anything, paused the game but no options like "resume, load save, etc" showed up so I had to hard reset. Enemies glitching out by getting stuck on geometry or each other, not reacting to me shooting someone right next to them.
One collectible is flat out invisible with no prompt, but you can still pick it up by holding the pick up button.
And of course, I'm forever stuck on 99% complete since on my profile it says I got 12/13 attachments collected, but the 13th is multiplayer only and this remaster has no multiplayer mode. Whoopsie.
Besides the crash, none of these were game breaking, but it's still a shame when I'm in the moment, completely absorbed by the visuals, music, gameplay and story only for it to be ruined by seeing an enemy vibrate up and down quickly between two pieces of geometry.

Overall, great game. I recommend it and I recommend not skipping everything by cloaking. Use all your tools to best the enemies. Otherwise you won't kill anyone and the dialogue will still say things like "he wiped out half my men back there". Uhh, no I fucking didn't haha.
Maybe it wasn't you who wiped out half the squad...but perhaps someone, or something else did...

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
A Short Hike (NS)

Yep, first game of 2022 for me is the same as my last one of 2021. I immediately dug back into this one.

It does lose a touch of its hit-you-in-the-feels magic on play-through two. But it gains more in mechanical depth. Get enough golden feathers (the stand-in for BotW's stamina bar), and you can fly anywhere. The mountain opens up a bit more, and you find other exploration opportunities. By the end, I had 19 feathers, and had that end-of-Metroid feeling, when Samus gets the Screw Attack. I could go anywhere.

Also found a new character that unlocked a race (running and flying) mini-game at the last second. Now certain landmarks scattered around the mountain make sense.

I don't wanna oversell it, but this game is damn clever. In the past 15-or-so years, "core" games have mostly been (in the broadest possible sense) about combat and conflict - you murder the noob in COD, stomp the Goomba, pick a spell from an RPG menu, etc. "Casual" games skewed away from Wii Sports and toward "life sim" / resource gathering / puzzles. A Short Hike isn't about that life. It's got adequate mechanical depth to be interesting and enough narrative structure to pull you in, but is streamlined and friendly. Crunchy peanut butter, but also chocolate. Animal Crossing, but Breath of the Wild.

Short, but sweet.

Crysis 3 Remastered (XSX)

I don't have much to say about this one. It's still Crysis so it can be fun, but nothing here excited me either. It takes place 20ish years after 2 so the awesome setup from the end of 2 all concludes off screen, which disappointed me right out of the gate. There's 60 data logs to collect and read which I didn't find all of them so I imagine most of the world building is done this way.

They also made the A.I. go back to Crysis 1, so enemies can spot you through thick grass while it's difficult to spot them. Their reaction time is really fast and there were times as soon as I decloaked seemingly in a safe spot the whole area knew where I was since one guy spotted my foot sticking out.

It's under 5 hours as well. No real comment on the level design: some are huge wide areas, some are small linear affairs. Honestly, I'm struggling to write about it. It's not bad, just a snack game. Alright at the time, but unmemorable in the long run.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (NS)

Finished this game last night. Definitely some pros and cons.
Graphics were great. I loved the Chibi art style. My favorite thing though is the reflection in the tile floors. Simply beautiful.

This was my first time in this region, so it was all new to me. This one didn't grab me the way X/Y, Sun/Moon, and Sword/Shield did. It almost felt like a chore to beat it, which I guess is true since I started playing it the weekend it came out.

It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.
Still looking forward to Pokemon Legends at the end of this month.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Skyrim: Anniversary Edition (PS5)

Finished that up tonight after defeating Alduin and then taking care of Miraak. No mods, since I was going for trophies.

Skyrim is one of, if not the most played game I own across all the platforms that I own it on. It's a solid 8/10 in my eyes (hello CTDs and Bethesda glitches) but it's also probably one of the most comfortable games for me to while away my time in.

This playthrough I ditched my normal "no fast travel, immersion is paramount" mindset and metagame'd the shit out of things (getting Prowler's Profit early, boosting my Speech/ Crafting skills early as well as boosting several magic skills to 100 using no cost enchantment stacking) since I so rarely make it to what I would consider even a "mid game" state on a Skyrim playthrough without resetting out of boredom or changed load order. It was a lot of fun getting to go around with full Dragonscale Armor with two Enchantments on each piece that (among other things) allowed me to cast Conjuration and Destruction magic at no MP cost. Being able to actually use the "Two Conjured Atronachs" perk was a real treat, and it was nice to be able to use the various Daedric Artifacts again (since I so rarely do those on PC).

Finished that up tonight after defeating Alduin and then taking care of Miraak. No mods, since I was going for trophies.

Skyrim is one of, if not the most played game I own across all the platforms that I own it on. It's a solid 8/10 in my eyes (hello CTDs and Bethesda glitches) but it's also probably one of the most comfortable games for me to while away my time in.

This playthrough I ditched my normal "no fast travel, immersion is paramount" mindset and metagame'd the shit out of things (getting Prowler's Profit early, boosting my Speech/ Crafting skills early as well as boosting several magic skills to 100 using no cost enchantment stacking) since I so rarely make it to what I would consider even a "mid game" state on a Skyrim playthrough without resetting out of boredom or changed load order. It was a lot of fun getting to go around with full Dragonscale Armor with two Enchantments on each piece that (among other things) allowed me to cast Conjuration and Destruction magic at no MP cost. Being able to actually use the "Two Conjured Atronachs" perk was a real treat, and it was nice to be able to use the various Daedric Artifacts again (since I so rarely do those on PC).
As someone who hasn’t played Skyrim…I understood maaaybe half of these words.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

I absolutely loved Skyrim on the Switch. I put so many hours into it. It's a truly solid game with so many options for how to play it. I can absolutely understand why people keep coming back to it, and why it gets released on each new system. It's that good.
Honestly, I'd play it again from scratch in a heartbeat.

Superliminal (X1)
The Pedestrian (XSX)
The Gunk (XSX)

Lightening round:

Superliminal - A first person puzzle game where you play with the perspective of items. So one example is if a doorway is high up the wall, then pick up a wedge of cheese and and make it look big by moving it and yourself around the room, then place it along the wall as a ramp. It's pretty hard to describe with words, but I can only imagine the nightmare it must have been to code this game.

Pedestrian - Another very good puzzle game where you play as a caution sign stick figure going from sign to sign. manipulating the arrangement of the signs themselves. Again, kinda hard to explain with words alone, but it's worth a playthrough.

The Gunk - I mostly wanted to check this out since it was developed by the SteamWorld lads, but this one is just okay. Probably the most okay game I played recently, and because of that, pretty forgettable in the grand scheme of things. You do some basic platforming, vaccuum up the titular gunk, fight three types of enemies that are just generic, and experience a pretty average story. Nothing is really wrong with it, but it doesn't do much exceptionally well. There isn't a ton of combat, but the exploration and puzzles aren't engaging enough to pick up the slack. Every time I see this game pop up on Reddit or elsewhere it seems really split on "don't sleep on this" and "boring". I don't dislike it, but I can't imagine going back to it.

All of these games are short, clocking in around 4ish hours depending on how fast you solve the puzzles in Superliminal and Pedestrian. I highly recommend both of them especially if you have Gamepass. Sometimes just spending an afternoon or two getting the brain juices flowing is a nice way to spend your time. As for The Gunk, well again if you have Gamepass maybe, but there's a ton of better things on the service as well.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond (NS)

This remake was very well done, imo. A good mixture of 4th gen's lack of mercy and 8th gen's quality of life.

Ended up getting a shiny Geodude at one point, so of course I had to have my shiny Golem accompany me through the rest of the game.

...also they buffed the Elite 4 and Cynthia in these remakes. Holy shit they made the end game in Pokemon terrifying again lol.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)

This one is difficult because I remember loving this game as a kid, but now in the year 2022, it shows it’s age in more ways than not. For starters, the lack of not being able to save whenever is quite infuriating, though I can contend that I’m spoiled by the Xenoblade games. You reach a save sphere (which have a nice perk of restoring your HP and MP) before a big boss battle, but prior there’s usually a lengthy cut scene that btw you cannot skip, or fast forward. So if you die during the battle, you must reload from your save, and then go through the entire cut scene, plus any other travel before getting to the battle. This occurred a few times during Lady Yunalesca, plus some others, and it’s not a great design.

i think the story is fine, and the battle system as well, but I feel there’s a lot that while you can do, the incentive to do them isn’t there. On top of it all, even for the HD remastered version, there is no New Game Plus, so i feel there’s even less reason to go back. Things such as the Monster Arena, and the Dark Aeons would be better served on a New Game Plus mode while maintaining your level stats, and current place in the Sphere Grid. But before doing any of those, you really should get the Celestial Weapons, but that becomes troublesome because if you do not get the necessary pieces when you can in the story, upon return of a particular area let’s say after you get the Airship, you’ll then have to fight a Dark Aeon to get the item. And these Aeons are super powerful with a shit load of HP, so it’s pointless to fight them unless you have the Celestial Weapons.

By that point, I just wiped my hands of trying to grind, and get better equipment, and decided to tackle the story aspect. I even skipped the Omega Ruins because unlike the original NA version on PS2, the Omega Weapon has a shit ton more HP now; again, now less incentive to try (Omega was 99,999HP on PS2, but now is like 800k HP. Fuck that shit without Celestial Weapons.

Now, why do Celestial Weapons matter in this game you might ask? Because they’ll break the damage limit, which normally maxes out at 9999 damage. This is actually fine if your intention is to play the game more for the story than the extras (it is very easy to regularly do 9999 damage by simply playing the game with some grinding, but nothing too strenuous), but if you want to do any of the big side quests, you’re going to need them. By breaking the damage limit, you now can do up to 99999 damage individually, plus I think it’s possible for your own Aeons to do six figure damage. Overkill for normal storyline battles, but for Dark Aeons, and other other optional Superbosses, it’s crucial.

So yeah, that’s my ranting more than raving of FFX HD. Not a bad game by any means, but it’s held back by old fashioned mechanics that should’ve been addressed in some form for the Remaster. Granted, if you play the game on PC, the modding community has addressed some of these, so my recommendation is to play it on PC. At the bare minimum, a New Game Plus mode, plus the ability to skip cut scenes would’ve been really cool. Oh, and the encounters were way too frequent. It felt like I was playing Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast again, and that was notorious for its frequent encounters. FFX isn’t much better, and might be just as bad.

My intention now is to play through FFX-2 HD, which this time around there is a New Game Plus mode, so thats pretty nice. I don’t know if you can skip cut scenes, but the New Game Plus mode is nice, and now that you control only three characters instead of seven, that does make the game easier for grinding.

Probably the best parts of FFX though are the locales, and the music. Even over twenty years later, the music in FFX still holds up, and whether it’s the remastered tracked, or the OG ones, they both have a place.

But what do you think? For those of you who have played FFX either in the past, or recently, am I out of line in my thoughts, or do you agree more than disagre?

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (GCN)

Some games work well with a limited lives system. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter does not.

There's so much to like about this game. The music is direct Star Wars stuff, and what wasn't already written by John Williams matches so well it's hard to tell what was original for this game. The art direction was on point for a GCN era game, as everything feels grungy, dirty, and slimy in a way that these criminal bases truly would be. All the weapons feel great, the jetpack feels awesome, and most of the time I feel like I'm controlling a kickass bounty hunter.

However, games with long, 25 to 40 minute levels; with questionable geography and janky hitboxes; those don't mesh well with a system of limited lives.

Overall, I liked the game, but it often got frustrating for the wrong reasons right when I was having a blast.
Chrobin Screenshot 2022-01-24 03-47-51.png

Aliens vs Predator (2010) (X1)

Xbox got or had a big backwards compatible sale so I picked this up for mere dollars. I remember watching reviews for it back in the day, a bit jealous I couldn't play it since I was a Wii only person at the time. I heard it was "okay" but it's hard to ignore it since Aliens and Predator 1 are still some of my favorite movies.

This game is broken up into three campaigns: Aliens, Predator, and the most dangerous species of all...man. I picked them in order as they appeared on the title screen, so first up was Man, rather the Colonial Marines. I played this with headphones and it started off so strong. Having the motion tracker doing it's distinct pinging sound was so tense, not sure whether an Alien was gonna pop up, seeing the distance reading get smaller only for it to disappear was thrilling. The environmental sounds were great, and hearing the Predator off in the distance copying human laughter was great. The environment design and colour scheme were lifted right out of the movies, almost a blend of Alien 1/2 with 3's colour. I think this campaign was the best, it's the longest one and seems like it had the most attention put into it. It has it's moments of frustration here or there, but overall I enjoyed it. It helps I'm a pretty big fan of the source material.

On the second level was when they introduce the facehuggers and eggs, and it really managed to capture the "I almost killed a spider but missed and then it scuttled behind the toilet and now I'm thinking whether burning my house down it the better option" vibe. Game made me jump a bit, even at nothing, which I'm sure is more so to do with my nerves than anything. Only real gripe is that it's too dark. I know what they were going for but there is a thing as too dark, and your flashlight is pretty pathetic. You have unlimited flares so I think it would be a better idea to make the flashlight better, but limit the amount of flares you have.

Up next was Alien and this one was fun too for awhile. It's mostly a stealth romp, where you can climb on walls and ceilings, sneak up on people and either kill them or make them a host for a facehugger. I found the climbing a bit janky. The idea is to hold RT to transition between surfaces but sometimes I would anyways without holding the button? Maybe I was slightly holding it but I don't know chief. The final encounter with three predators was pretty bad. You have a heavy attack which is a tail spear attack, but the hitbox doesn't seem to match the visual range of your tail and if an enemy is down and you're in a closer range it does a longer claw swipe. Only way I could consistently damage the predators was to be in the perfect range and spam it while walking backwards. Just an awkward fight. Really short campaign too.

Predator was my least favorite. Melee combat ain't the best in this game and until you unlock some more range weapons it can be janky as well. It's not terrible but I found myself sprinting past stuff. Final fight with the Pred-alien was cool, but super easy to cheese.

All three stories are connected in that they take place in the same setting, but the characters you control don't crossover. The alien campaign ends during the marine's second level and is mostly about how they break containment. Predator is just there. I often find with these crossover plots it's often a Alien story that just so happens to take place on a Predator world so they have to clean up. It's actually very similar to the first movie which is not a great thing, just not on Earth and with the Marines. The environment itself can be alright, but it's also smack in the middle of the 7th gen so it can come across as bland despite the franchise it's based in.

Honestly, makes me wish Colonial Marines from Gearbox wasn't a complete fuck up. We deserve a legit great Colonial Marines game. The game itself is a decent time, but as a fan of the source material just experiencing the sights and sounds of the movies in game form, it's hard not to enjoy it more despite it's shortcomings.

Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)

This one is difficult because I remember loving this game as a kid, but now in the year 2022, it shows it’s age in more ways than not. For starters, the lack of not being able to save whenever is quite infuriating, though I can contend that I’m spoiled by the Xenoblade games. You reach a save sphere (which have a nice perk of restoring your HP and MP) before a big boss battle, but prior there’s usually a lengthy cut scene that btw you cannot skip, or fast forward. So if you die during the battle, you must reload from your save, and then go through the entire cut scene, plus any other travel before getting to the battle. This occurred a few times during Lady Yunalesca, plus some others, and it’s not a great design.

i think the story is fine, and the battle system as well, but I feel there’s a lot that while you can do, the incentive to do them isn’t there. On top of it all, even for the HD remastered version, there is no New Game Plus, so i feel there’s even less reason to go back. Things such as the Monster Arena, and the Dark Aeons would be better served on a New Game Plus mode while maintaining your level stats, and current place in the Sphere Grid. But before doing any of those, you really should get the Celestial Weapons, but that becomes troublesome because if you do not get the necessary pieces when you can in the story, upon return of a particular area let’s say after you get the Airship, you’ll then have to fight a Dark Aeon to get the item. And these Aeons are super powerful with a shit load of HP, so it’s pointless to fight them unless you have the Celestial Weapons.

By that point, I just wiped my hands of trying to grind, and get better equipment, and decided to tackle the story aspect. I even skipped the Omega Ruins because unlike the original NA version on PS2, the Omega Weapon has a shit ton more HP now; again, now less incentive to try (Omega was 99,999HP on PS2, but now is like 800k HP. Fuck that shit without Celestial Weapons.

Now, why do Celestial Weapons matter in this game you might ask? Because they’ll break the damage limit, which normally maxes out at 9999 damage. This is actually fine if your intention is to play the game more for the story than the extras (it is very easy to regularly do 9999 damage by simply playing the game with some grinding, but nothing too strenuous), but if you want to do any of the big side quests, you’re going to need them. By breaking the damage limit, you now can do up to 99999 damage individually, plus I think it’s possible for your own Aeons to do six figure damage. Overkill for normal storyline battles, but for Dark Aeons, and other other optional Superbosses, it’s crucial.

So yeah, that’s my ranting more than raving of FFX HD. Not a bad game by any means, but it’s held back by old fashioned mechanics that should’ve been addressed in some form for the Remaster. Granted, if you play the game on PC, the modding community has addressed some of these, so my recommendation is to play it on PC. At the bare minimum, a New Game Plus mode, plus the ability to skip cut scenes would’ve been really cool. Oh, and the encounters were way too frequent. It felt like I was playing Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast again, and that was notorious for its frequent encounters. FFX isn’t much better, and might be just as bad.

My intention now is to play through FFX-2 HD, which this time around there is a New Game Plus mode, so thats pretty nice. I don’t know if you can skip cut scenes, but the New Game Plus mode is nice, and now that you control only three characters instead of seven, that does make the game easier for grinding.

Probably the best parts of FFX though are the locales, and the music. Even over twenty years later, the music in FFX still holds up, and whether it’s the remastered tracked, or the OG ones, they both have a place.

But what do you think? For those of you who have played FFX either in the past, or recently, am I out of line in my thoughts, or do you agree more than disagre?
I played X a few years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't bother with any of the side stuff so I just did the main story. I still like it, I love FFs VII-X for it's imaginative worlds and plots that can go full on crazy but still has good characters and whatnot.

Tales of Arise (XSX)

To keep it short, I didn't really like this game. Gameplay, combat, levels, all fine. Just fine. The bosses of the first few chapters were a huge difficulty spike compared to how easy the basic enemies were, but that's not a big deal in the long run.

What kills it for me is the plot and characters. Main plot is pretty bland. The planet Rena enslaves Dahna, which is broken into 5 regions, each with a ruling Lord. So the majority of the game is defeating these Lords, these extremely one dimensional characters, minus one obvious exception. Once all them are done, a small time skip happens than the remaining 20ish% feels pretty rushed and not well paced. Lots of good potential but it mostly boils to just talking about the things happening. Looong stretches of relatively static conversations where plot twists and revelations are just thrown at you at breakneck speed. No time to dwell on one plot twist, here's another right away.

The main cast is okay. I don't hate them, but they kinda have their own characteristic and milk that the entire time. The closest thing I can call the main villian is honestly one of the worst I ever seen. No depth, overly edgy. Sorry, when I'm 40 hours in and one of my characters say "is it over?' and he responds with "no, this is only the beginning", get out of here with that. All he's missing is teleporting behind someone to attack.

Then the end cutscene happen which made me say out loud how stupid the main character is. It actually irked me so much I barely watched the end cutscene. The last dungeon I actually knocked the difficulty down to easy so I can get a move on, and the last dungeon kinda sucks.

So obviously, pretty disappointed in this one, especially with how much I enjoyed Symphonia, Vesperia and Berserria. Maybe my expectations were too high, I don't know. I'm aware the amount of praise this got from critics and fans alike, so I'm most likely in the minority holding this opinion. The fact I started this last year and have beaten 8 games in between starting and finishing kinda speaks for itself how not into it I was. Of course, I wanted to enjoy it. Nothing quite hits the spot like a fantastic JRPG, so it's a shame it turned out like this.

Last edited: