Printmaking Series Idea (I Need Suggestions/Comments)

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So I've been coming up with a series of work to do that tries to encompass a couple of things.

1) Uses printmaking (woodcut preferably) as a vehicle to get a message across in a way that is unique yet true to its origins and more in-depth than something I can do digitally.

2) Create religious art in a way that is more than just some Thomas Kinkade stylized Christ painting with happy colors with a lamb and does more than tell a story from the Bible. The likes of Michelangelo perfected this and were used more for the illiterate to understand The Bible but also to give a sense of awe. As a constant art history nerd I find the lack of meaningful contemporary art or art that is too self driven a concern.

3) Help people in some way or give hope.

To do this I want to create woodcuts with the image of a Patron Saint with either some story based text or a prayer of concession to assist in some way. Some ideas I've had is to have a St. Luke print that I could send to hospitals (and art rooms, he was a busy guy), a St. Roch print that I could send to Animal Shelters, and St. Walter of Pontoise to VFW Posts. I would try to get the tools and prints blessed before shipping them off. If they get hung up in an office or something, awesome, if not at least it was put out into the ethos. Also, it would have some information along with the print to explain why this random weirdo is sending out religious work and what in the world is a woodcut! This would be out of my pocket of course as a sort of tithe.

This Patron Saint thing is of course very Catholic in idea but I feel like I owe creating work for The Church in a sense because without it art history and art in general would most likely be abysmal and pretty boring. I feel like the art world as a whole does not give enough credit in contemporary times or even that the thought of it is almost damning.

Ok, I'm going to get off my soap box with that last part.

But I'm curious what people think. I've told my wife about the idea at the beginning of the summer and she liked it a lot. She is Protestant herself and doesn't really get the whole patron saint thing but found the idea interesting. I'm curious what the people on here that I know would think about a project like this? I am lucky enough to have friends, colleagues, acquaintances, and fellow artists that come from all walks of life and would love to hear your thoughts. Good or bad.

Also, I would love to hear if you have an idea of somebody, group, or place that needs a little hope that I could make artwork for.

Odo

I like saint stuff. When a person says that the Church isn't good because Christians also did wrong things I always reply saying: don't look at the mediocre examples of Christian. The best examples are the saints. They teach things with their biographies and that's the best way of teaching.

Sacred art is one of the best things westerners have done and wood art is one of my favourite. Also Sacred art talks to almost everybody, it's easy to understand and to inspire people. In a world of contemporary art that nobody understands, this kind of art is refreshing.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I like saint stuff. When a person says that the Church isn't good because Christians also did wrong things I always reply saying: don't look at the mediocre examples of Christian. The best examples are the saints. They teach things with their biographies and that's the best way of teaching.

Sacred art is one of the best things westerners have done and wood art is one of my favourite. Also Sacred art talks to almost everybody, it's easy to understand and to inspire people. In a world of contemporary art that nobody understands, this kind of art is refreshing.
I should have some work done next week on this series. I was asked to do a talk about it at a museum at the end of the month and have to produce some prints before then....so I gotta start like NOW!

Thanks for input too. I'm hoping I can make something look "divine" enough for this project.