Project CARS Will Showcase The Hidden Power of the Wii U – Slightly Mad Studios

Project CARS to Showcase “The Hidden Power the Wii U Has”http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Project-CARS-7.jpg

While Project CARS has been the subject of much hype following the announcement of PS4 and Xbox One versions, developer Slightly Mad Studios isn’t ignoring the other formats. In fact, when GamingBolt spoke creative director Andy Tudor, he believed that Project CARS would serve to demonstrate the Wii U’s true capabilities.
Asked if the Wii U’s lesser specs would undermine the game’s key selling point, the visuals, Tudor responded, “No, if anything I think it’ll showcase the hidden power that the Wii U has. There’s no equivalent of Project CARS on Wii U, yet we hear the shouts from Nintendo fans loud and clear that they can’t wait to get their hands on this kind of experience so we hope to make them proud with the quality of the visuals.
“Sure there are maybe more stringent technical constraints but the same core experience will remain, plus additional features that take advantage of the controller’s unique second screen and touch interface.”
He is right about the console having no equivalent to Project CARS, what with major third party developers skipping the Wii U for one reason or another. We’ll find out how Project CARS performs when it releases in Q3/Q4 of 2014.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-will-showcase-the-hidden-power-of-the-wii-u-slightly-mad-studios#FLdBgzjzlqeaJ3bU.99

[hr]
A bold claim, that. Lets hope they can live up to their words.

"There’s no equivalent of Project CARS on Wii U"
Assuming that isn't talking about the gameplay, if they are actually claiming that they'll be able to get the game running better than what Most Wanted U ran at (perhaps close to what the PC version looks like if I'm aloud (EDIT: top lel. Look at that typo <----) to stretch), consider my jimmies rustled.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^ he's saying there's no sim racer.
Yeah, but also mentioning the "hidden power" of the console to deliver, graphically. Which is nice.

I'm much more interested in them nailing the vehicle physics and steering, but eye candy is nice.

Assuming that isn't talking about the gameplay, if they are actually claiming that they'll be able to get the game running better than what Most Wanted U ran at (perhaps close to what the PC version looks like if I'm aloud (EDIT: top lel. Look at that typo

NintendoMan

Played this earlier today at CES in the Panasonic booth (holy small-car sized projector, Batman). It was running @UHD (4K) native and 60+fps on Nvidia GPU. Very smooth and VERY lifelike indeed, with none of that jerky/awkward/off-balance physics of some other games. The only thing I was picky on was the leaves on the trees which seemed too mono-green and uninteresting to enjoy, but perhaps they will be enhanced in a later build. I hear the Wii U version is coming along nicely as well. I did capture some off screen gameplay of this game among others.

EvilTw1n

I think they said it'd be 720 30fps

I remember them saying that
Darn.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1853385/project_cars_wii_u_runs_at_720p_30fps_will_look_feel_amazing.html

However, apparently they're aiming for 30 fps for everything that isn't a nuclear reactor-core PC:
"We always prefer to aim for 30fps generally in order to keep gameplay-specific features like having more cars on track or better weather effects etc. So that’s standard across all consoles.
"

NFS:MWU feels plenty fast at 30 fps, but the problem are the dips. If we won't get 60, I hope CARS is pretty close to locked at 30.

GaemzDood

The other console versions are 1080p at 60 frames. That said, if the Wii U version can match the counterparts for the most part, this is a game to champion.
http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-targeting-1080p60fps-on-ps4-xbox-one-but-wont-compromise-awesome-racing-stuff

Get on my Tapatalk sig level bishes.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The other console versions are 1080p at 60 frames. That said, if the Wii U version can match the counterparts for the most part, this is a game to champion.
http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-targeting-1080p60fps-on-ps4-xbox-one-but-wont-compromise-awesome-racing-stuff

Targeting. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up running in 1080p @ 60 FPS. However, I do see that as being likely. With the Wii-U version, I honestly wouldn't mind it if they lowered the resolution or what not in favor of 60 FPS

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 and X1 did 1080p 60fps. Would actually be pretty sad if they only did pretty much the equivalent of the Wii U. Being x86, it really shouldn't take that long for developers to tap into what would have taken then longer to tap into had it all been custom.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I just have this thought. What if the "major" differences between the Wii U and PS4/X1 version are framerate and resolution? Sure, there will be some graphical differences, but will we blatantly notice them?

Just as an example, When Digital Foundry did their Crysis 3 face-off, it was incredible how little difference in the game "looked," comparing the consoles to PC. Yes, their performances were a different story, but the look of the game remained pretty much the same to the naked eye. Yes, there were differences but they were nothing to shout about, or THAT drastic.

EvilTw1n

Hmmm. I wonder why he went from saying 30fps was standard across consoles to targeting 60fps for PS4/XBO? I suppose they just don't want to rule anything out. Personally, I'd take a hit in effects/fidelity at 60fps over more eye candy at 30fps (because it's not like you'll have time to stop and smell the roses in a racing game).

Goodtwin

Hmmm. I wonder why he went from saying 30fps was standard across consoles to targeting 60fps for PS4/XBO? I suppose they just don't want to rule anything out. Personally, I'd take a hit in effects/fidelity at 60fps over more eye candy at 30fps (because it's not like you'll have time to stop and smell the roses in a racing game).
I typically would to, but I think one of their selling points is supposed to be the really nice graphics, and with Wii U having less overhead to work with, I can see why they would choose 30fps, keep in mind when they made that statement before the game was set to release on 360, PS3 and Wii U. Its all about having a solid 30fps. If rarely drops more than a couple frames, you will find a smooth experience.

I typically would to, but I think one of their selling points is supposed to be the really nice graphics, and with Wii U having less overhead to work with, I can see why they would choose 30fps, keep in mind when they made that statement before the game was set to release on 360, PS3 and Wii U. Its all about having a solid 30fps. If rarely drops more than a couple frames, you will find a smooth experience.
This is why. They were targeting an earlier release, and using resources on ps360. Now, with the old generation versions discontinued, all three next gen machines benefit in different ways. Wii U is no longer held back by ps360, and SMS can put more tweaks into the ps4one versions for higher fps/res. We might see 60fps on all three if things go well.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Need for Speed: Rivals on PC is locked at 30fps, remember, just like Dark Souls. Here's what happens if you get clever and try to unlock it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpC43CdvjyA
It runs at twice the speed.

Need for Speed: Rivals on PC is locked at 30fps, remember, just like Dark Souls. Here's what happens if you get clever and try to unlock it.
Something about that just screams gif

Shoulder

I believe there was a way to get 60fps without compromising the actual speed of the game, but getting it to 60fps has proved a challenge for most Gaming rigs I think. It's as though the game was designed with 30fps in mind, which for some is blasphemy.

In some games, you can set the game clock independently from the frame rate clock. Sometimes the two are tied to the same amount of cycles on the CPU. EA often prefers to dumb down or limit the PC versions of their games to appease MS and sony.

If they manage to get this game running at 720p/60fps with 30 cars, etc, then this will be the first game for me to show the Wii U's graphical superiority over last gen in meaningful way at least.

EvilTw1n

If they manage to get this game running at 720p/60fps with 30 cars, etc, then this will be the first game for me to show the Wii U's graphical superiority over last gen in meaningful way at least.
Y'know, it is kinda remarkable that it's 2014 now, and we're still waiting on that one "wow, that's the eye candy showpiece" game for the system, to show off what it can really do. It just hasn't been a priority for Nintendo. Pikmin 3 started life on the Wii. W101 has some amazing visuals, but the art style and camera don't always flatter it (and they had mentioned bringing the idea to Nintendo during the Wii years, so a part of me wonders if a version of the game had started off on Wii, too). Mario 3D World is amazing, but they've been able to make a really pretty cartoon-y Mushroom Kingdom since the GameCube. NFS:MWU really is gorgeous, but the PC texture assets aren't a world above the PS3/360 version.

The Bird and Zelda demos are probably still the prettiest things that Nintendo has shown off.

The Bird and Zelda demos are probably still the prettiest things that Nintendo has shown off.
Which is pretty freaking amazing and sad at the same time. Amazing because those were from 2011 and still hold up today and sad because it just goes to show how much Nintendo struggled to really get games out last year, let alone ones that show off what the system can do in HD.
Last time Reggie said he wanted to show us what the system can do was E3 2011. Hope they have regained their footing by now.

Shoulder

^^^^I think what this all means is what Nintendo has been saying for a decade: Graphics themselves in games are already approaching that peak of hyper-realism to the point of diminished returns. When I see a game like Watch Dogs, Tom Clancy's The Division, Thief, or Destiny, I am not saying, "Oh, these graphics are amazing looking." I'm more likely to say, "This game looks intriguing, lets hope the gameplay holds up."
EDIT: That's not to say I don't enjoy good eye candy, because I do. Hell, I'm going to get back to PC Gaming this year, but Nintendo understands that graphics will only take you so far, and now with this HD bandwagon going on, sure you could always add more resolution and graphic touches, but at what point do we just say we want great games, and not just great looking games?
I know I'm going to sound like a full blown Nintendo fanboy here, but I love the direction Nintendo has taken with the graphics department. And when I hear of some developers talking about how the hardware is limiting their ability to create better games, or have bigger and better worlds, I sometimes start to question their creativity as a game designer.

Well when i see a game like The Division i tend to do both. "Oh, these graphics are amazing looking." "This game looks intriguing, lets hope the gameplay holds up." Great visuals are very important when it comes to marketing any product. Why do you think Mario Kart U had more hype for it after E3 than i a mainline 3D Mario. I'm definitely team Gamplay> Graphics, but i feel like a lot of Nintendo fans in particular undermine how much great visuals can positively impact a game. Mario Kart Wii U looking so good is part of the reason i think Nintendo has a good shot at turning the ship around when it releases.

Goodtwin

Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and X are seemingly the most technically impressive games shown for the Wii U so far. I think some of the missing "wow" factor is because the Wii U simply isnt capable of making the PS3 and 360 look like a generation behind. Those two consoles both enjoyed very long lives, and developers are been able to squeeze them pretty hard for years now. I dont know that the hardware is capable enough to really "wow" us these days. Sure, there will be very nice looking games, but that will typically come down to the art direction of the developer.

Do The PC Screenshots of Project CARS represent the Wii U version? Or is the Director Slightly Mad?http://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Project-Cars-PC-Screenshot.jpg
One of the most intriguing games coming to the Wii U is by far Project CARS, a simulation racing game. Andy Tudor, Creative Director at Slightly Mad Studios, has gone on record as saying the Wii U was "capable of delivering core Project CARS experience."

What about the graphics though? With the game being released on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, there is no way the screenshots we have been seeing can be true to the Wii U version as well can they? I secured an exclusive interview with Andy and this is a snippet of what we talked about:

"Every screenshot or video you’ve seen from Project CARS so far has been taken by an actual player - any one of our WMD community members. So there should be trust already that what you see on websites or on YouTube is actually what you’re going to see in the game. There are no plans to abuse that trust when it comes to the Wii U version ;-)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZGOuktrR4

Check back this Saturday, February 18th, for the full interview with Andy Tudor, exclusively on Nintendo Enthusiast.

Ask him if the wii u version is confirmed to have 32 player races, i know on the pc version it goes up 64 so they might be able to get 32 cars running on the wii u version. You probably meant january right ?

Shoulder

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97217111&postcount=368 @gamezdood

Interesting. So does anyone with a more financial background have an idea about this? Could it honestly be that Nintendo makes more money out of Indie and small 3rd party developers compared to the big AAA publishers?

You probably meant january right ?
Yeah, typo.

Ah ok. #:-S

EvilTw1n

I think what this all means is what Nintendo has been saying for a decade: Graphics themselves in games are already approaching that peak of hyper-realism to the point of diminished returns. When I see a game like Watch Dogs, Tom Clancy's The Division, Thief, or Destiny, I am not saying, "Oh, these graphics are amazing looking." I'm more likely to say, "This game looks intriguing, lets hope the gameplay holds up."

I think some of the missing "wow" factor is because the Wii U simply isnt capable of making the PS3 and 360 look like a generation behind.
These are very good points. Now that I think on it, I wasn't wowed very much by the graphics in the XBone Forza demo, either (the feel of the One's controller and triggers, that's what wowed me). So this isn't really just a Nintendo thing at all. Diminishing returns aren't imaginary, they're real (doesn't mean graphics won't improve, it's just that it gets less noticeable after how high the bar has been set).

And with Nintendo, the first-party stuff doesn't usually rely on beastly power. Mario looks great already. DKC looks great already. SSB looks great already. Metroid relied on timeless art for the Retro games, and Other M already did a very good anime look on Wii (seriously, go replay that game and look at the interiors; on a purely tech level, that game is a monster considering the hardware it's running on).

Zelda may be the only thing that can really bring the "wow" factor, to show us something an obvious step up from what they could do on the GC/Wii. But again, they may rely more on art than tech candy.

GaemzDood

It's like Nintendo doesn't want me to get a Wii U.

Before you think this is a Japanese/indie diss, I love indie games (hence why I poke fun at Nintendo for censoring Unepic and denying The Binding of Isaac) and a ton of Japanese titles.

GaemzDood

A Need for Speed game had a shitty PC port. What else is new?

It all depends on the optimization. Hyperdimension Neptunia barely looks launch title quality, but it has framerate issues out the ass.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

It's like Nintendo doesn't want me to get a Wii U.

Before you think this is a Japanese/indie diss, I love indie games (hence why I poke fun at Nintendo for censoring Unepic and denying The Binding of Isaac) and a ton of Japanese titles.

They censored unepic?

ESRB shenanigans again?

Shoulder

I think the Wii U has all the power it needs, really. Graphical power doesn't make a good game. Engaging and compelling gameplay does, though.

But then you'll get the people who say that more power is required for the developers to realize their true vision as they intended. They cannot innovate without more power. 8-|

EvilTw1n

Great get. Hype levels rising to unsustainable levels.

[I do see some editing problems, though. Heh, time to put on my copyeditor hat. :p I'm not going to change the style of italicizing the answers, but it does make the answers a little more of a chore to read, IMO.]

Goodtwin

The only thing I dont like is that they are still reluctant to show off the actual Wii U build. Dont tell me that its close to the other builds, show me that its close to the the other builds. Im buying this as long as the performance is good, but dont try to lead us to believe that its going to look like the videos and pics we have seen, and then release a build that looks like a significant downgrade. If its so "promising", then why not show it off?

Which is pretty freaking amazing and sad at the same time. Amazing because those were from 2011 and still hold up today and sad because it just goes to show how much Nintendo struggled to really get games out last year, let alone ones that show off what the system can do in HD. Last time Reggie said he wanted to show us what the system can do was E3 2011. Hope they have regained their footing by now.
Were the Bird and Zelda demos even running on a Wii U with final specs? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ninty were running those demos on PC's which were set up with target Wii U specs, but they had to bail on some of that power because of noise/heating issues in later revisions. Is the production Wii U capable of achieving what those demos showed?