Project Steamlords

Koenig

The Architect
Project Summary: "Steamlords" is a pet project of mine to create and finalize a steampunk-themed science-fantasy for later use in art, writing, and other forms of media. The project is set in Victorian re-imagining of the late 19th and early 20th century. The continents and countries within the story are inspired by and loosely based on existing historical locations while often sharing similar or poetic names (Such as Albion or Columbia) The technology of the world is highly advanced in terms of functionality while still bearing simplistic designs common in the "Punk" genres. The primary purpose of this thread is share and set characters, settings, and lore within the stories universe.

I will periodically post chunks of information in this thread as I have the time to do so. For those interested in helping or critiquing the project, I implore you to share your thoughts, questions and/or suggestions here. Any feedback is welcome and I will gladly co-operate to improve the project.

(Note: I did have a previous Steamlords Thread, however it was lost during the site transition; however it was in need of a dire overhaul and was almost illegible due to its "Wall of Text" nature.)

Koenig

The Architect
Steamlords: Starting off with project name sake, the Steamlords are the leading members of an guild dedicated to the advancement and subsequent moderation of technology. The Steamlord organization was originally founded by master engineers , scientists, mechanics, and variation nations in response to the conclusion of a massive war that began due to the creation and misuse of advanced technology. They act as a sort of international police in regards to the development, distribution, and subsequent use of advanced technology within a number of regions in order to prevent it from being exploited or used maliciously, while their primary goal is to prevent the use of certain banned technologies that could spark another war. They control a fleet of various airships, twelve elite cruisers, four armored battleships, various weapons and several other devices confiscated after the war which they use in turn to enforce the rules laid forth by the various nations and individuals that founded them. Their primary base of operations is a massive floating fortress and airship harbor that houses the majority of their members and equipment.

Select individuals are trained for years in the fields of chemistry, biology, and technology before being given the title of Steamlord, similarly they are also instructed to follow a strict moral and ethical code to prevent corruption from within the guild. This training is done via apprenticeship and can last for several years. The initiated Steamlords are then sent tasked with various overlooking various regions and they are subsequently granted tools and equipment to aid them in their job (Some of which is otherwise restricted or banned) The most important piece's of a Steamlords arsenal is his (Or her) computerized time piece and another specific mechanized piece attire; which when used in conjunction with each other, grant the Steamlord unique abilities that would otherwise be impossible. (More or less super powers relating to the laws of physics)

Side note: Oh and also, they wear Top Hats. Did you honestly have any doubts?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I like what I'm reading so far, Koenig. So these Steamlords, are sort of Steampunk Jedi's; keepers of the peace and meant to maintain order in society, and like you said, they have superpowers as it were. So with this steampunk world you're creating, is it an alternative universe of Earth, or is it an entirely different planet with a different set of lands and oceans?

I like the idea of a flying fortress circling the lands and keeping the peace. Almost makes me wonder if the world you're creating is a place in the clouds, ala Skies of Arcadia, or a standard landmass with water nearby?

Can't wait to see what else you have in store. The only thing I'm worried about at this point though is if your concept is in anyway similar to the upcoming game: The Order: 1886.

Koenig

The Architect
I like what I'm reading so far, Koenig. So these Steamlords, are sort of Steampunk Jedi's; keepers of the peace and meant to maintain order in society, and like you said, they have superpowers as it were. So with this steampunk world you're creating, is it an alternative universe of Earth, or is it an entirely different planet with a different set of lands and oceans?

I like the idea of a flying fortress circling the lands and keeping the peace. Almost makes me wonder if the world you're creating is a place in the clouds, ala Skies of Arcadia, or a standard landmass with water nearby?

Can't wait to see what else you have in store. The only thing I'm worried about at this point though is if your concept is in anyway similar to the upcoming game: The Order: 1886.
Thanks. In retrospect the Steamlords do share many similarities to the Jedi, though this was not my original intention.

The world is meant to be a distorted version of our own in which many things are similar yet not the same, giving a sense of an uncanny familiarity; it is for this reason that I specifically chose names like Albion and Columbia for certain locations in the story, as they were once either the original or poetic names for real places (in this case Great Britain and America respectively) As such several geographical locations may be very similar to existing real world counter parts, however much like the rest of the project they will likely be heavily modified in the wake of creative license. (Likewise I don't want to villainize a real world nation, so I will probably make several efforts to create fictional replacements for some)

I also share you concerns about 1886, but from what I have seen it is taking a very different direction than what I have in mind for this project. In general I am aiming for a more "Colorful" style than what I have seen in most Steampunk related works.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Technologically Advanced:

The world in this project is generally greater than or equal to our own with our own technology, however the distribution and use of this technology various greatly. Computer and robotics technology in particular are of a much higher caliber than would be expected of a "Steampunk" genre, however the idea of an user interface was never fully realized. As a general rule of thumb the aesthetic of most locations is meant to match the designs employed during the late 19th and early 20th century.

As a result of the advanced technology available an array of mechanical beings have been created to service the general population instead of the historical slave counterparts, however much like the former of the two the use of such beings varies depending on the economic and social standing. These beings employ a number of designs and functions in order to meet the needs of an industrial era, however they can generally be categorized into three categories depending on their construction and internal design; Autobody, Automaton, and Android.

Aircraft and other mechanized transportation systems are given a large margin of freedom in terms of their design and operation, however they are still loosely bound by our own understanding of the laws of physics; subsequently most large airships are at least partially dirigible in design. There are exceptions to this rule however, some of which include the Steamlords cruisers, battleships, and base of operations; all of which seemingly defy the laws of physics completely.

The general social standing of the population varies from nation to nation, however in the case of Columbia and Albion they generally share the same standards of the era as their real-life counterparts. Similarly, the use of Automatons and Android often share the same stigma that was given to slaves and servants.

Koenig

The Architect
Autobodies:

The first and perhaps most familiar of the three classifications of mechanical beings, Autobodies are "Mech"-like vehicles used for various applications in both work and recreation. Each Autobody is typically designed around a specific or general task such as transportation or construction. However Autobodies differ from mechs in the fact they rarely resemble a human form. Inversely, they differ from standard work vehicles (Automobiles, Bulldozers, Et cetera) by two distinguishing features: 1-They typically have limbs or other similar apparatus that can be used in most terrain, and 2- They have a limited computerized "Brain" that enables select reactions without user intervention.

All Autobodies require a pilot to function at their maximum potential, however their limited computer system allows them operate independently in very specific conditions. For example; you could call for one and would automatically start it engines and lower itself for access (However you would still need a key to operate it) An Autobody is generally designed to provide mobility and to meet a specific function, most often being used for transportation and construction, though in rare cases they are also design for militaristic purposes.

Koenig

The Architect
Automatons:

The second and most common type of mechanical beings are the Automatons. These Autonomous beings are built and mass produced by various manufacturers in order to serve the general population and perform specific tasks. Each automaton has an advanced computerized brain that allows it to make purely logical decisions based on the information contained within its memory tape and/or drive, however they can only perform purely logical tasks based on applications programmed directly into their memory systems and subsequently lack the ability to "Learn" new programs without having an update or replacement memory device. Automatons come in many shapes and sizes in order to perform an array of tasks, ranging from standard mobilized equipment, animal like designs, and often abstract looking construction. The design of an Automaton depends heavily on who manufactured it, what model type they belong to, and what their specific purpose is.

Automatons are generally used for either very specific tasks or an array of simple tasks within a limited range. Due to the logical limitations of an Automaton, these tasks typically involve work that is very structured or specific, such as construction, manufacturing, or maintenance; likewise they are often used for other purposes such as security, cleaning, pest control, and gardening within controlled environments that meet the operational requirements. (A very rudimentary example in real life would be the "i-robot" roomba) Despite their logical limitations, Automatons are very effective at the jobs that they do perform and are used throughout the world as a form of cheap and effective labor.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Androids:

Androids are the third and most advanced branch of the mechanical beings. They are generally designed to be humanoid in structure and are typically used as substitutes for human beings in several situations of work and recreation. Much like Automatons, Androids have an advanced computerized brain that allow them to act and make decisions based on the information provided to them; however unlike Automatons, Androids have the ability to learn and adapt accordingly without external intervention due to a unique feature. The main difference between Androids and Automatons is that all Androids have a "Core" the governs and dictates dominantly over their computerized brain. This core contains a rudimentary duplicate of a living mind, or for lack of a better description; a copied "Soul". These cores allow Androids to dynamically act and react to various situations that would otherwise be impossible with a purely logical programming system.

Androids are capable of working in almost any setting and environment due to their human-like nature; because of this, Androids are used across the world for various tasks, often being used interchangeably as either a human worker or automated labor. While still expensive, Androids have made their way into most mechanized market environments and comprise roughly 1/4 of the mechanical population. Due to the fact that they are artificial Android rights are murky water to say the least; the treatment and rights of an Android depend greatly from region to region and from person to person, however they are typically treated as third and second class citizens. As general rule of thumb most Androids have an owner and are subsequently bound to them, the treatment of the Android is generally reflective of the owners intent.

Koenig

The Architect
Dominion Field:

The Dominion Field is the first half of the technology that grants Steamlords and their subordinates Super Power-like abilities. The Dominion Field is a unique signal that is projected in a circular radius from a device worn by Steamlords. This signal is comprised of several specific radio and classified frequencies that resonate with each other to create a powerful phenomenon that enables those within the field to manipulate the laws of physics in a limited fashion; the general aspects of which can be controlled are electricity, magnetism and temperature. The resonance that enables this can only be maintained within a very close proximity of the signal source, meaning that Steamlords can only employ their powers with in close proximity to themselves (Or an alternative signal source) The size of this radius is determined by the model of the projector, the settings in use, and the experience of the user. The Dominion Field is very versatile and can be achieved through a number of signal combinations, however the signal can also be jammed if the appropriate apposing signals are used to cause destructive interference.

The device that generates and projects the Dominion Field is designed to run off of energy siphoned from the users own body. When not in use this energy is stored so that it can be used at a later time, allowing Steamlords to restore their powers without needing external help. Likewise, the device can also draw substantially more energy from the user than is given off naturally and redirect it into the Dominion Field or the back toward the user to increase strength and agility, However doing so will often injure the user, as such this function typically locked to prevent bodily harm, though it can be activated as a last resort.

The Dominion Field is merely the area in which a Steamlords powers can operate, a second piece of equipment is needed to actually manipulate it.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Pocket Drive:

The Pocket Drive is a multi-functional used for various tasks and the second piece of technology that grants Steamlords their powers. The Pocket Drive is an advanced computer systems fashioned in the shape of a large pocket watch (Though it also tells time, so I guess it could be considered one) Its many functions include: computer system, two-way radio, radar, scanner, power-drive, and timepiece. (So basically a smart-phone with a few additional tricks) The dials around the clock face and the face itself can be rotated allowing the user to control its function; the former is styled similarly to a rotary phone dial while the latter is a complex lock. The center of the clock acts as a miniature screen when the drive is active, and can be used for video communications. The radio system built into the drive allows Steamlords and their subordinates to keep in contact with each other when in range or connected to their Airship's network. In addition to radio functions, these wireless systems also act as a radar and scanning system which can aid the user in various tasks and situations (Think either the scan visor from Metroid or tricorder's from Star Trek)

The most important feature of a Pocket Drive is its ability to manipulate the Dominion Field. Anyone who has a Pocket Drive and is in the Dominion Field can use the Drive to access an array of powers (Provided the drive is set to the same frequency as the Dominion Field) The powers available to the user depend on the upgrades that have been made to the drive itself; Steamlords generally have access to all drive abilities while their subordinates and apprentices have access to limited versions (Theoretically to prevent the more powerful tech from falling into the wrong hands)

As mention before, the three primary abilities are Electricity, Magnetism, and Temperature; each of which has various tiers of use and subsequently allowing for various applications. Users can manipulate electricity to power devices by touch or as a weapon in higher tiers. Magnetism can be used to alter memory tapes or levitate magnetizable objects. The power over temperature can be sub divided into hot and cold, allowing the users to either freeze or melt objects; and much like the other primary powers, higher tiers can be used as weapons. There are also several secondary powers that the Pocket Drives can use, however these vary greatly depending on the upgrades installed in the device.

Pockets Drives are mandatory equipment for all Steamlords (Each of whom are presented with a gold one upon being granted the title) however lesser version are given to apprentices and certain subordinates; the latter of which are used for specific situations and the former for training. Because the powers of a Pocket Drive can only be used within a Dominion Field it is difficult for subordinates to abuse their power or for their power to fall into the wrong hands.

Koenig

The Architect
The Steamlord's Air-fleet:

As mention in the second post, the Steamlords primary air-fleet is comprised by twelve elite cruisers and four heavily armored battleships.

The twelve cruisers act as multipurpose mobile headquarters that can service most Steamlord needs across the world without the need to return to their main HQ for months on end. Each cruiser is named after one of the twelve months of the year while all of them share the same aesthetic and functional design. They are capable of out easily out-gunning most airships and can absorb a substantial amount of artillery fire before losing flight capacity. Despite their combat abilities, the cruisers are typically used for medical and transportation purposes.

The four Steamlord battleships are named in a similar fashion to their twelve cruiser sisters, each being named after one of the four seasons of the year (Ver, Aestas, Autumnus, Hiems) However unlike their cruiser counterparts, the Seasonal Ships are designed solely for combat use and are subsequently heavily armed and armored. The array of weapons boasted by these battleships are capable of annihilating any airborne threat while simultaneously capable of leveling any ground based locations. The armor of the Seasonal battleships is so durable that it can resist virtually all artillery weaponry with the rare exception of a specific weapon used during the former war, however there are segments of the armor where small rounds can penetrate through gaps.

All of these elite ships levitate using a piece of technology that was replicated from the main fortress, and is subsequently inferior to the original (The original design of which was lost during the war) The power source of each ship is classified.

Shoulder

Reading all this stuff you're crafting for Project Steamlords is giving me some revival in one of my past projects which I created based on my various custom or modified Lego sets from when I was a kid. Essentially, a space-based epic taking place well over a millennia into the future and set between two worlds formed and created from all the wars fought on Earth in years past (interestingly enough, it's not far off in concept to Xenoblade with the Mechonis and the Bionis, but after that the similarities pretty much end)

Koenig

The Architect
Reading all this stuff you're crafting for Project Steamlords is giving me some revival in one of my past projects which I created based on my various custom or modified Lego sets from when I was a kid. Essentially, a space-based epic taking place well over a millennia into the future and set between two worlds formed and created from all the wars fought on Earth in years past (interestingly enough, it's not far off in concept to Xenoblade with the Mechonis and the Bionis, but after that the similarities pretty much end)
Oh? Do tell more.

Yeah this needs to be a game Koenig, and a movie, and a book, and a comic, and every type of medium ever. So much depth too which I love, I could get soaked into a world like this. Keep at it!
Thanks Chris, it means a lot. Ironically, several of the idea's that have worked their way into the project actually stem from recycled concepts I had when brain storming for a video game design doc (Which I never finished...but...that is...aside the point...)

I have a lot more ideas to jot down here, however most of them need to be refined a little bit more to mesh with the existing content. I should have some more free time after I get to my brothers house; speaking of which:

*Closes computer and boards plane*

Koenig

The Architect
Character Profile: "Silver"

Name: Damon Royal

Damon Royal (Otherwise known as "Silver) is a thin elderly man with perfect posture and composure. Standing at 6'feet- 7'inches he towers over of most people and commands a presence of authority. Aside from his height, his most notable aesthetic feature would be his pure white "Imperial" mustache. He typically wears full guild attire (jet black long coat, dark grey pants, pilot boots, and top-hat)

Silver is a veteran Steamlord and a master craftsman; he is one of a handful of Steamlords who have completed all four branches of Steamlord training (The contents of which will be discussed in a later post) and who were subsequently promoted to the leading positions within the guild. He is the mentor and Master to a number of apprentices and journeymen within the guild (Some of whom are also main characters in the story)

Silver is a very knowledgeable and talented man, and can often be found providing invaluable advice to younger members of the guild. He has spent years training a number of troublesome apprentices and has succeeded in almost every case. He is rigid and steadfast in his ways, though this can also be considered one of his weaknesses. He is notable for turning out excellent journeymen from the most hopeless of apprentices.

Koenig

The Architect
Character Profile: "The Toymaker"

Name: (Undecided)

The Toymaker is slender middle-aged women with an enthusiastic personality, albeit a varying one. Not counting her choice in shoes, she stands at roughly 5'feet 11'inches and has jet black hair tempered by jets of grey. She typically wears a crimson frock-coat with black trimming along with a matching fedora, the rim of which is extended and heavily augmented with various contraptions. One of her trademarks is her long white scarf, though her shoes seem to change on a daily basis.

The Toymaker is a mad scientist and one of the main antagonists in the Steamlord universe. Using her intellect and talents she has created a number of tools that allow her to hack and reprogram virtually any Automaton or corrupt many Androids. She was -nick-named the "Toymaker" due to her tendency to modified stolen Automatons in the image of popular children's toys (Toy Soldiers, Jack in the Boxes, Dolls, Et Cetera) She uses these corrupted machines to carry out her plans, though the reasoning behind her crimes is rarely evident from the public's point of view.

The Toymaker was not always a criminal, but was in fact a leading scientist in robotics and computer technology; however her sanity and social standing quickly changed after her fiancee was killed in "freak accident". Since that time she has become unpredictable and somewhat bipolar. In most cases she is very cold and calculating, however she often takes a humorous interest those who can actually keep up with her plan (regardless of if they are friend or foe) Do to her criminal involvement with Automatons, Androids, and mechanized technology in general; she is considered to be one of the biggest nuisance's to Steamlords activities.

Koenig

The Architect
Android Sapience Core:

Previously eluded to in the Androids post, the Automated Sapience Core (or ASC for short) is the unique component that gives Androids their sense of self and what separates them from the rest of the "mechanical kingdom".

Every ASC is comprised of a composite bulb that contains various mechanical components that keep the core active. The size and shape of this bulb varies from model to model, however they typically are between six & thirty centimeters and a subsequently designed to fit particular models of Androids. Contained within the ASC is the ghostly presence of an artificial soul; the entirety of which is only sustained by the containment and stability provided by the ASC. (In short, imagine a flame contained within a lamp)

There are generally three different tiers of ASC's; the level of which determines the stability, capacity, and durability of the artificial soul that powers it. While it is possible for ASC's to be overclocked, this puts it at risk of containment failure and the subsequent death of the unit. An ASC must be installed within an android body prior to its activation and once activated it essentially becomes a permanent part of the Android unit in question.

The creation of Android Sapience Cores is typically limited to experienced craftsmen and guilds; the design of lower tier ASC's is available to most people while the designs for higher tiers are closely guarded secretes by those who know them. The design for the highest tier of ASC's was supposedly lost during the great war.

Koenig

The Architect
Skull Keys:

One of the Toymaker's exclusive most used tools, Skull Keys are universal lock-picks and ASC's rolled into one.

The Skull Key is a unique variation of an ASC that only the Toymaker knows how to produce. They are twenty centimeter long rods that contain an ASC on one end and a hollow tube one the other. The hollow end of the Skull Key can be used to fit almost any lock or information port as the interior of the tube contains an adaptive metal that conforms to any shape it encounters. The ASC controls the lock-picking systems in the key and can override several fail safes in most locks. The Skull Key is typically not used for regular locks however, but is instead used on the information ports that most Automatons and Androids have.

Because the Skull Key contains an ASC, it can override and reprogram automatons with ease and can completely control the automaton if left in the information port, granting the automaton Android like awareness. Likewise the Skull Keys can be used on Androids and can subsequently bypass their own ASC to take direct control of them (Something along the lines of possession)
however this takes much longer to do than automatons.

The Toymaker uses her Skull Keys to steal and control various automated lifeforms that she encounters. For this reason she is considered one of the largest threats to the Steamlords given their general specialty in automated beings.

Koenig

The Architect
Forbidden Science: Alchemy

Alchemy and its subsequent research is one of the practices that was banned by the Steamlords upon their guilds creation, as it was one of the key factors that sparked the great war. All nations that function under the rules set forth by the guild must actively prohibit and prevent any alchemy-based experiments; Even nations outside of the Steamlords jurisdiction have agreed to prohibit it due to political pressure. Despite its near-world wide ban, their are still several factions who desire alchemy and subsequently consider the Steamlords and their anti-alchemist agenda a major threat.

Alchemy itself is loosely based on its real world counterpart: Atomic Fission and Fusion. Much like fission and fusion, alchemy can be used to generate a near limitless amount of power, however it can also be militarized to create excessively dangerous weapons. Unlike real-world fission and fusion however, Alchemy can be used to practically transmute materials into different elements such as gold and platinum (albeit with several strings attached that make it extremely difficult)

Even though it has been banned, there are rare instances where alchemy is permitted in order to maintain or power certain devices and machinery that pre-date the Steamlords founding and subsequent ban.

Koenig

The Architect
Character Profile: The Artisan

Name: Unknown

The Artisan is a shadowy figure who only shows himself briefly in any encounter. He stands roughly six feet tall. He wears what appears to be modified Steamlord attire and dons a metal face mask to conceal his identity. He either acts eccentric or extremely calculating.

The Artisan is a major 3rd party player in the Steamlord Universe; acting as both an ally and antagonist depending on the scenario. His goals and motivations are unknown however he is clearly up to something. He has access to technology and equipment that are reserved for Steamlords even though he is not a part of their organization; likewise he seems to have knowledge of classified information and in some cases even foreknowledge of events previously unknown to the Steamlords.
Depending on his goals, he may act as a sort of reliable narrator to the characters in the story, providing information and guidance from afar; while at other time he tricks them or plays off of their actions to attain his goals. In addition to Steamlord equipment, he is also is possession of advanced technology previously unknown or unavailable to the Steamlord; the majority of which he uses to his full advantage.

Because of his knowledge and equipment the Steamlords consider him to be a massive security breach and subsequently have labeled him as one of their most wanted "Criminals"(Even though he has aided them in the past) However they have no leads or viable suspects as to who he is nor how he came into possession of such content.

Koenig

The Architect
Last Resort: Overheat.

Previously eluded to in the post about the "Dominion Field", all full fledged Steamlords have the ability to draw an excess of energy from their own bodies by using one of the devices given to them; among the Steamlords this technique is called "Overheat".

Overheat draws out all the potential energy from within the users body by instigating the chemical breakdown of its cells and tissue and harnessing the subsequent kinetic energy in the form of both heat and electricity (Which is subsequently used to protect and super power the user) In layman's terms it burns them from the inside out and harnesses the released energy in the form of heat, steam, and electricity much like an engine.

Steamlords only use overheat as a last resort, however it is normally enough to save them. During the use of overheat the power of a Steamlord's abilities are increased ten-fold as well as his (or her) own physical strength and durability; Likewise, the range and strength of the user's dominion field can also be greatly increased and its signal strengthened. The steam generated by overheat can be used to super-power various devices or be channeled and directed to be used either offensive or defensively.

However despite these advantages overheat is only used as a last resort due to its unfortunate side-effects. as mentioned in two paragraphs above, Overheat essentially burns the user from the inside out and the release of super-heated steam from their own body leaves the user dehydrated and exhausted. Once overheat is disabled it leaves Steamlords in a completely helpless state, requiring immediate care and assistance. If it were not for the protection contrived from the energy released during overheat, it would otherwise kill the user.

Koenig

The Architect

Skyport is the home and headquarters of the Steamlord guild. It is a massive floating town (but to small to be called a city) that acts as an HQ, Fortress, Harbor, Factory, Housing, Storage Depot, and Research Facility.

(An inaccurate but close aproximation of what Skyport looks like)

Skyport is comprised of three primary sections; the spire, frame, and ring:

The spire is a massive tower that extends to the very top and bottom of Skyport and is positioned in the very middle of the complex. All of Skyport is essentially hung on or connected to the Spire in some fashion. The upper portion of the Spire is much larger than the lower portion and houses the majority of the machinery used in Skyport; one if which is responsible for the entire town's levitation. The middle of the spire is the primary connection point of the complex while the very bottom of the spire acts as an inverted lighthouse and long range radio system.

The Frame is a series of massive support arms that are hung off of the middle section of the Spire. The support arms act as the support framework and foundation for the majority of Skyport. The frame has exactly thirteen primary arms that extend out to the lower edge of the town, each of which connects to the other via a large archway at the end of each arm. The twelve open spaces between these arms act as the docking bays for the various airships that come to Skyport while the arch ways act as gates. Each docking bay can hold and service several airships, the number of which it can hold depends on their relative size.

The Ring is a large circle that extends past the frame and above the middle of the spire. It rest on top of the edge of the frame and connects directly to the spire via several of its own support beams similar to that of spoke wheel. The spokes of the ring act as the foundation to several buildings and pathways. The Ring itself acts as a curtain wall to the rest of Skyport and contains an powerful array of anti-air and artillery weapons.

Skyport is also comprised of several secondary components such as a biosphere, observatory, factory, military base, stadium, residential districts, and various other domes used accordingly (The majority of which are contained within the ring or spire) The infrastructure of Skyport houses several high capacity pressurized steam pipes that span the entirety of the town. The machines and generators can tap directly into these steam pipes to power the various functions Skyport has available.

Skyport was originally built prior to the great war but was heavily augmented in the wars duration. The three primary components of the city use advanced technology that often still eludes the Steamlords comprehension, while much of the secondary buildings and any additions added since use more conventional technology. The complex itself is fully operational, however it lacks the power and programming systems to operate a large number of its features. (These may be gradually restored as the story progresses)

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I am looking forward to sharing more, but at this point I am having deciding what to focus on next. Is there anything in particular you would like to hear more about? If so I will focus on that.

Shoulder

So Skyport is basically a floating city, or even perhaps a flying fortress comprised of the entire Steamlords guild. Are there actual cities/towns in this world besides Skyport, and what about this Great War you mentioned?

Koenig

The Architect
Skyport is more or less a floating complex integrated into a fortress, It doubles as a city (Though town might be more accurate) because it is also the Steamlords primary residence. There are no other major floating cities because the technology originally used to create was lost and all other floating fortress's were lost during the war.

The Great War was the conclusion to another important even, the Golden Age. The golden age was a time period in which science and technology grew exponentially on a global scale. Every nation, kingdom, company, and guild were making fantastical advances in their efforts. Things like advanced robotics, artificial intelligence, alchemy, aeronautics, and the like were discovered and propagated rapidly. However as conflicting idea's grew in popularity and advanced fell into the wrong hands the Great Was sparked. While I don't have the full war written out, it was ultimately comprised of several different factors that conspired to throw the world into chaos. It was a world war free for all in which all manners of weaponry and tactics were used, many of which either left lasting repercussions or became dormant putting future generations at risk. (Though what happened in the war will be eluded to characters and readers in pieces relevant to whatever aspect the story is revolving around at that point)

The only reason the Steamlords have the power they do is because the nations that originally helped to found them were so terrified of another war being sparked.

You have no idea how much I want that to do that. In fact many of the idea's that I have integrated into the story were originally concepts intended for video games.
Perhaps one day my friend.....one day.....

If you could incorporate this all into a game what would it be? An RPG I'm guessing. But perhaps a FPA would be cool as well or something.

Koenig

The Architect
To an extent that is what I had in mind. In video game format I think Steamlords would be best suited if the player got to play the majority of the game at his or her own pace, with the main story being only a condensed portion of the content, though much of it would be locked away until some of the secondary "quests" had been completed.

However I would like to see more of the game be based on action-puzzles that implement a Steamlords powers rather than just pure combat.

Koenig

The Architect
Variant species: Virekin.

Virekin are a vampire-like race that are the result of an experiment gone wrong during the Golden Age. Every Virekin was once a human before being corrupted and genetically mutated by a strange substance known as "Black blood". They are exceedingly powerful and have numerous latent abilities. They played a major part in the great war and the events that lead to it, however they remained primarily behind the scenes and unknown to the public. In many regards they are meant to represent the worst parts of human nature that have been subsequently brought out and amplified by their inherent powers. Despite their immense power, they were presumably wiped out completely during the war; however from a story-telling perspective it is fairly obvious that a few of them survived and will show up at some point during the modern timeline.

The black blood that transformed them into Virekin was originally created during the golden age and was actually an attempt to create the grand panacea. Spurred by the hopes of gaining immortality several great minds of the time conspired to create it but failed to calculate its devastating side effects. To an extent they did succeed however as those transformed into Virekin have an indefinite lifespan and miraculous regenerative powers.

While heavily inspired by (some) Vampire lore, I aim to make Virekin a unique race with their own rules and behaviors, however some aspects are synonymous with their fantasy counterparts (Even so, they DO NOT SPARKLE!) For example pure Argentum (silver) inherently destabilizes the black blood that sustains them, likewise black blood is also highly susceptible to some spectrum of light and will it will readily decay if exposed to them.

Koenig

The Architect
Plot point: The Steamlords journal

All Steamlords have in their possession a small hardback journal in which they keep basic and advanced information recorded so that it can easily be used at a later date if needed; In other words a super-science cheat sheet. The general information recorded in the journal typically reflects the Steamlords (Or apprentice's) position and subsequently provides relevant data to his or her active job; said information can include mathematical equations, formulas, and various blue prints to things like engines, transistors, and the like. Additionally, several pages in the journal are left blank so that the owner can add his or her own notes and observations to the book for later use.

Because of the potentially dangerous information kept on these journals, only full fledged members of the guild are given access to them and the journals themselves have a mechanical lock and fail-safe mechanism built into them. Even so, it is not impossible to gain access to them for those who know what they are doing or have alternative means of accessing the information within.

Silver and his apprentice(s) often use their journals to come up with solutions to the problems they face or record what they have seen or suspect onto the journals pages. In many cases they share the information with each other and other individuals to further their goals.

In regards to the plot and also as a hypothetical query, imagine if a book containing such knowledge was somehow sent back in time and fell into the hands of someone who could comprehend the knowledge contained within it? How would someone with knowledge of such power react, more importantly how would they use it, and most importantly, how would it effect history? Suffice to say, if such a thing were to happen it is likely that it would have a profound impact the world at large...

Then again,who is to say it has not already happened?

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Secondary Detail: Automaton model: "Constructor Type"

Constructor Types are bulky, ant-like automatons that are commonly used to assist in various construction and maintenance projects.

A constructor's anatomy is very similar to that of an ants albeit less spread out and more centralized. The "abdomen" section generally contains the constructors engine and takes up a bulk of the automatons body mass (Whether it be steam, combustion, or electric) The "thorax" section is raised above and in front of the abdomen and contains a number of gear boxes that transfer kinetic energy from the engine to the various arms and apparatus that is attached to it; the back four legs are exclusively used for movement while the third front pair is used for both mobility and object manipulation. Finally the "head" is attach directly in front of thorax but can easily be move above, below, and to the sides of it. The head is essentially an automated tool box that contains a number of tools that can be used to build various things.

Constructor Types can range in size from a single meter in length to well over 20 meters or more. Depending on the size of the constructor(s) and the number in use, many construction projects can be partially automated and subsequently expedited; however such projects can rarely be completely automated as the constructors of require supervision and guidance by human and androids to complete their jobs.

Koenig

The Architect
Secondary Detail: "Ferroform"

A Ferroform is a shape shifting android that can assume various forms and shapes provided the right conditions are met. They are remants from the great war and very few of them exist in the modern story.

A Ferroform itself is a comprised of two separate devices: The squid-like magnetic skeleton and the Ferro-fluid. The Skeleton of a Ferroform contains all of the components needed for the automatons operations, such as its its core, power source, and electromagnets. The Skeleton itself resembles that of a squid; the head containing vital equipment while its limbs act as its means of manipulation. Each limb is comprised of a number of electromagnets which can generate magnetic fields of varying size and strength. These fields are used to accurately control the Ferro-fluid surrounding the android. The Ferro-fluid itself is comprised of billions of magnetic nano-capsules that are submersed in an adhesive oil. These magnetic capsules react to the magnetic fields generated by the skeleton and are subsequently pulled into place by it yet still remain stable due to the oil. The combination of these two aspects is what allows the android to shape shift.

Ferroforms are exceedingly durable when confronted normally; as the ferro-fluid that surrounds the android absorbs shock easily and any damage done to the exterior can be repaired by simply refreshing the ferro-fluid in the effected area. Only damage dealt to the skeleton leaves lasting damage, however it is typically protected by the ferro-fluid. However, Ferroforms can be briefly
paralyzed and exposed by strong magnetic fields that can over-ride their control of the magnetic fluid that surrounds them, while extreme heat that reaches or exceeds the Curie temperature of the ferre-fluid can leave the skeleton completely exposed. However when the skeleton itself is completely exposed and it can no longer use ferro-fluid, it will divert the energy typically used to control its shape into weapons and movement systems; essentially super charging it.

Ferroforms were originally created prior to the great war for scientific reasons, but were later weaponized during the war. There immense versatility and extreme durability made invaluable assets to those who used them; however they were still rare due to the difficulty involved with creating the components and ferrofluid that comprise them. In some cases Ferroform went rogue and abandoned the war and used their abilities to hide, these are generally the ones that survived the war and still exist.

Ferroforms were inspired by and based both the Octopus and Magnetic Fluid.

Koenig

The Architect
Characters/Plot Point: Atlas and Index.

Atlas and Index are the two advanced AI systems that control and automate the various functions of Skyport and subsequently act as a primary support to most Steamlords.

Atlas is the for all intents and purposes the "Backbone" of Skyport; controlling virtually all of its original systems and various functions. Only authorized personnel are granted direct access to Atlas, and only a select few are given authority over him. Atlas is based entirely on logic and deals in absolutes; he will will never bend or break his primary directives and follows his core programming to the letter. Due to his cut-to-the-point design he often come off as cold and uncaring when engaged in any form of conversation however he still processes all forms of emotion and intellect, but simply refrains from partaking in them. (To compare to another series to get a better idea, imagine Spock from Star Trek; or just about any other Vulcan character for that matter)

Index is the user interface and would-be voice of Skyport. She can be accessed by anyone within Skyport or on the Steamlords Network, though several of her features are restricted to Steamlords and their associates. Index acts as an intermediary between the Steamlords and Atlas, and in most cases all modifications or adjustments to Skyports functions are run through her prior to being given to Atlas. Much like Atlas, Index is based on pure logic and data manipulation. Unlike Atlas however, Index has been specifically designed to be far more flexible and accommodating to those using her. She is capable of running various psychological profiles on those within Skyport, and she uses the information contained in them to augment her performance when being operated by various users. (To compare, imagine if "Seri" was actually intelligent)

Atlas and Index are essentially married to each other and their systems bound to Skyport exclusively. With rare exceptions they will not operate without the other; Atlas refusing to operate without the information provided by Index or Index being unable to access systems without the authority of Atlas. The intent of the dual AI systems was to create a simultaneously secure and extremely functional operating system on which Skyport could be controlled, and for all intents and purposes it works perfectly. The lone exception the previous sentence would be some of the features bound to Atlas; as at a previous point in time he had been infected by a powerful virus that stole control from much of Skyport; the virus could not be removed but the Steamlord's were able to quarantine it within a section of Skyport's legacy memory, however several of Skyports functions were also quarantined with the virus. Many of these functions were later restored by new programs, however some of the advanced command programs would not be replaced resulting in some parts of complex being permanently disabled.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
So I skimmed over all of your posts, and dang I am really interested and liking what I am seeing so far. Your world seems a bit more fleshed out than that of our discussions. Excited to see what role the Toymaker and the Artisan will take on.... so if I am not mistaken, the Artisan seems to have been transformed into the Time traveler?

Anyhow, what I am most interested about is in seeing some more city concepts other than Skyport. Skyport looks great an awesome, and I can't wait to see more of it, but I would like to see more of the ground world, the different nations and cities. It all looks really great.

And like Chris said, this would make a pretty great world for a video game. What I see this as is a Mass Effect type of game, where you travel on the ships all over the world and take care of problems. Can't wait to see more of this world, and I am looking forward to seeing the manuscripts that you have written in the meanwhile.

Koenig

The Architect
So I skimmed over all of your posts, and dang I am really interested and liking what I am seeing so far. Your world seems a bit more fleshed out than that of our discussions. Excited to see what role the Toymaker and the Artisan will take on.... so if I am not mistaken, the Artisan seems to have been transformed into the Time traveler?

Anyhow, what I am most interested about is in seeing some more city concepts other than Skyport. Skyport looks great an awesome, and I can't wait to see more of it, but I would like to see more of the ground world, the different nations and cities. It all looks really great.

And like Chris said, this would make a pretty great world for a video game. What I see this as is a Mass Effect type of game, where you travel on the ships all over the world and take care of problems. Can't wait to see more of this world, and I am looking forward to seeing the manuscripts that you have written in the meanwhile.
Thanks! The Artisan is indeed the same character I called the time traveler. At current I have a one major city fleshed out other than skyport, (A city build next to a volcano that siffons the heat for perpetual energy/steam) and a handful of other conceptual cities (Such as a tower-like city that harvests lightning, a port town built over the flooded ruins of a Columbian city, a number of small colonies, and a town built into an old quarry.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Thanks! The Artisan is indeed the same character I called the time traveler. At current I have a one major city fleshed out other than skyport, (A city build next to a volcano that siffons the heat for perpetual energy/steam) and a handful of other conceptual cities (Such as a tower-like city that harvests lightning, a port town built over the flooded ruins of a Columbian city, a number of small colonies, and a town built into an old quarry.
That sounds great! Especially that one built on the top of flooded ruins, can't wait to hear more about that concept.

Also, I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but what does that 'massive war' that you wrote about in the beginning of the Steamlords post entail? What started it?

Koenig

The Architect
That sounds great! Especially that one built on the top of flooded ruins, can't wait to hear more about that concept.

Also, I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but what does that 'massive war' that you wrote about in the beginning of the Steamlords post entail? What started it?
Not at all, any question is a welcome one. The war in question came after a golden age that was sparked by the recreation of old technology and the creation of new advanced technology, the war in question used all of it without restriction and ravaged the society that had been rebuilt. This is why the Steamlords were created in the first place, so that in the event another war broke out they could at least prevent the technology used from getting out of hand again-or better yet, prevent the war altogether.

Koenig

The Architect
A possible revision: I think that Androids should be called Automatons, and that mobile robots would instead be called Animatrons. It just seems to fit a bit better and sound less generic than the previous description. What do you guys think?

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
A possible revision: I think that Androids should be called Automatons, and that mobile robots would instead be called Animatrons. It just seems to fit a bit better and sound less generic than the previous description. What do you guys think?
I like the change, Android was a bit generic and not fitting with your steampunk atmosphere.

Koenig

The Architect
I like the change, Android was a bit generic and not fitting with your steampunk atmosphere.
I thought as much. it has been bugging me for quite some time, but I could just never think of a better word for the classification until now. In hindsight it seems quite obvious though...

I was also writing another idea down before you commented, but my computer shit the bed again. Thankfully I was able to save it to a text file before my computer crashed completely though.

"
I have been working on an idea for a more combat oriented portion of the story and/or game, otherwise known simply as the "Oubilette" Though that is probably only a working title for now. The concept is simple: A massive dungeon used to store and study the various dangerous monsters that once wondered the world that resulted from either the ancient fall or the great war. The dungeon itself is a massive screw shaped artificial cave that has been split into six layers, each layer containing its own offshoots and chambers. Every layer has a number of zoo-like chambers used to house the creatures stored within such that they can still be studied, while more traditional cages and vaults are saved for special cases. Each layer is also design for different habitats and security levels. For example layers 1 through 3 are meant for less dangerous creates while layer three is also designed for Aquarius life. level four and five on the other hand are meant for far more dangerous creates and even more extreme climates. Level 6 is sealed completely.

From a story perspective, the Oubilette would be used to store dangerous animals that the Steamlords captured or studied during their missions, while also serving as a research facility for cures and genetic enhancements. Similarly, levels 3-6 could serve parts of the plot as their more dangerous creatures could pose a problem and add an air of mystery. If made into a video game, the oubliette could also be used for more combat oriented gameplay such as thinning the ranks of dangerous monsters or studying/capturing them for the Steamlords.

Thoughts/suggestions?
"

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I thought as much. it has been bugging me for quite some time, but I could just never think of a better word for the classification until now. In hindsight it seems quite obvious though...

I was also writing another idea down before you commented, but my computer shit the bed again. Thankfully I was able to save it to a text file before my computer crashed completely though.

"
I have been working on an idea for a more combat oriented portion of the story and/or game, otherwise known simply as the "Oubilette" Though that is probably only a working title for now. The concept is simple: A massive dungeon used to store and study the various dangerous monsters that once wondered the world that resulted from either the ancient fall or the great war. The dungeon itself is a massive screw shaped artificial cave that has been split into six layers, each layer containing its own offshoots and chambers. Every layer has a number of zoo-like chambers used to house the creatures stored within such that they can still be studied, while more traditional cages and vaults are saved for special cases. Each layer is also design for different habitats and security levels. For example layers 1 through 3 are meant for less dangerous creates while layer three is also designed for Aquarius life. level four and five on the other hand are meant for far more dangerous creates and even more extreme climates. Level 6 is sealed completely.

From a story perspective, the Oubilette would be used to store dangerous animals that the Steamlords captured or studied during their missions, while also serving as a research facility for cures and genetic enhancements. Similarly, levels 3-6 could serve parts of the plot as their more dangerous creatures could pose a problem and add an air of mystery. If made into a video game, the oubliette could also be used for more combat oriented gameplay such as thinning the ranks of dangerous monsters or studying/capturing them for the Steamlords.

Thoughts/suggestions?
"
Sounds like you are really gearing up for Steamlords: A Bioware Adventure haha. I will be there to help you license the rights once I become a lawyer :p

On the Oubilette. The idea sounds really cool, but its going to rise and fall by the design of the creatures and the design of the Oubilette. Wouldn't want to explore the Oubilette if all the creatures were repetitive and unimaginary no? Make it so that the reader/player is looking forward to explore the next section of the Oubilette, to find out what hellish monsters are lurking. A good rule of thumb would be to make the monsters be able to shock you, to look back at them and say 'can't believe I created that' in a good way. Can't wait to see what monster designs you come up with, especially with the steampunk setting since most steampunk games now a days have robots as enemis (except for The Order: 1886 and other cases)

Koenig

The Architect
Sounds like you are really gearing up for Steamlords: A Bioware Adventure haha. I will be there to help you license the rights once I become a lawyer :p

On the Oubilette. The idea sounds really cool, but its going to rise and fall by the design of the creatures and the design of the Oubilette. Wouldn't want to explore the Oubilette if all the creatures were repetitive and unimaginary no? Make it so that the reader/player is looking forward to explore the next section of the Oubilette, to find out what hellish monsters are lurking. A good rule of thumb would be to make the monsters be able to shock you, to look back at them and say 'can't believe I created that' in a good way. Can't wait to see what monster designs you come up with, especially with the steampunk setting since most steampunk games now a days have robots as enemis (except for The Order: 1886 and other cases)
I am looking forward to it. Unfortunately I don't have many monster designs fully fleshed out as yet, and those that I do I created more on a whim than anything else. That said, I do have a general idea for most of the monsters in the oubliette (And outside) and that is mutations, speciated hybrids, and weaponized enhancements. The key point to remember is that most of the monster in the oubliette originated either as a result of the great war or long before civilization rebuilt itself (IE nuclear fallout) and as a result are tend towards the intentionally dangerous design.

3ft lizards that spit napalm? Check. Raptor like mutations of common fowl? Check. Giant spiders that can be trained? Check. (Wouldn't @LightsaberBlues be proud?) Worms who secret acid in the form of their slime? Check. Stallions with claws and beaks? Also check. While there would still be a few entirely "original" monsters, the majority are from a story telling sense cultivated from existing life, albeit often in the most grotesque way possible.

With that said, there are actually many mutated monsters that run around on the surface unchecked. Whether by Man made mutation, traditional evolution, or a mix of both, many "monsters" did not end up as dangerous as some would have hoped, and have since become a key part of the regular food chain.