PS5 release year

Odo

PS1 1994
PS2 2000
PS3 2006
PS4 2013
PS5 ????

With the rumours of Sony handing out dev kits for PS5 to release the console in 2019, I'd like to ask you what do you think.

Next year PS4 will have been out for 6 years. Considering past behaviour, we could say that PS5 will be out between 2019 and 2021. But, exactly when?

I'm curious. Game development gets longer and longer, so games that are in pre-production now, are they going to be PS4 and 5 titles? I remember feeling like the 360 and PS3 took awhile to die. Games like Wolfenstein, Evil Within and Alien Isolation came out across both generations, so I wonder if that cross-over period will be longer as well.

Then you have the Final Fantasy 7 remake which is still hiring for "core members". Is it possible we'll see Episode 1 on PS4 than the remaining episodes on PS5?

I'm all for 2020 at the earliest. The amount of game developers being shut down due to insane projections is insane in of itself. I'm also at the point where I look at games like Horizon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3 and I think "okay, graphics are pretty fucking great, let's focus more now on cutting out load times, big frame rate drops and pop-in".

So yeah, I'm more than fine with a 2020 release date.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
2020 is a fair suggestion. PS4 is currently still selling tremendously well, and with the PS4 Pro out now, it wouldn't make sense to all of the sudden just up and ditch it when it hasn't been out all that long. The Pro came out in late 2016, and the OG PS4 had been out for 3 years at that point. I expect at least an additional three years which would put us into late 2019, but I think 2020 is more likely.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I’m saying 2 more years based on PS4 still doing really well. There is no reason to rush this that’s why I think the dev kits went out way ahead of schedule. They also wanna have a great launch and 2 years will afford them that.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
PS$599
I'm all for 2020 at the earliest. The amount of game developers being shut down due to insane projections is insane in of itself. I'm also at the point where I look at games like Horizon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3 and I think "okay, graphics are pretty fucking great, let's focus more now on cutting out load times, big frame rate drops and pop-in".
At face value, that would be the hardest generational sell of all time. "PS5 - the games look like a PS4, but there are no loading screens." But I honestly don't think you're too far off.

I was talking with @Goodtwin last week about the era of big and pretty perhaps coming to a close. You used to be able to sell purely on that. This gen, we've had a game like No Man's Sky, where the brag was "it has 18 quintillion planets!" Last gen, MAG was sold on "256 player online!" But it's not like those are legendary games at this point; it's not like people went nuts and said those games were the next GTA after playing them. Big isn't enough. You can be too big to be fun, apparently.

Which leaves pretty, and...well...as you say, games are damn pretty as-is. What's the next leap? Higher-res Assassin's Creed? You have a full game that actually looks like the Infiltrator demo, but that takes 8 years and a bankruptcy to produce? It's hard to up-sell people on pretty when everything is already quite pretty.

People will buy new hardware to play great new software. I think the PS4 playbook is probably gonna be attempted again - market the shit out of something, even if it's not a big visual leap. So get ready for your PS5. "No, the games aren't that much bigger or prettier, but you can't buy them on older hardware, and the user experience is a little more convenient."

PS$599

At face value, that would be the hardest generational sell of all time. "PS5 - the games look like a PS4, but there are no loading screens." But I honestly don't think you're too far off.

I was talking with @Goodtwin last week about the era of big and pretty perhaps coming to a close. You used to be able to sell purely on that. This gen, we've had a game like No Man's Sky, where the brag was "it has 18 quintillion planets!" Last gen, MAG was sold on "256 player online!" But it's not like those are legendary games at this point; it's not like people went nuts and said those games were the next GTA after playing them. Big isn't enough. You can be too big to be fun, apparently.

Which leaves pretty, and...well...as you say, games are damn pretty as-is. What's the next leap? Higher-res Assassin's Creed? You have a full game that actually looks like the Infiltrator demo, but that takes 8 years and a bankruptcy to produce? It's hard to up-sell people on pretty when everything is already quite pretty.

People will buy new hardware to play great new software. I think the PS4 playbook is probably gonna be attempted again - market the shit out of something, even if it's not a big visual leap. So get ready for your PS5. "No, the games aren't that much bigger or prettier, but you can't buy them on older hardware, and the user experience is a little more convenient."

Yeah I admit I probably don't fall in with the wider audience. I'm fine with gaming on PS4 for years more if it means we get more interesting titles than the same stuff over and over but it's 10% shinier now.

Koenig

The Architect
PS$599

Though to be fair, No Mans Sky would have probably been a lot more popular if the developers had actually delivered the content at launch that they had either promised and hinted at. The game had some real potential, and they hyped it to high hell, but then failed to actually meet the expectations they had taken on. That is the thing about Hype though, its like playing with fire; use it right and you can do just about anything (marketing wise), but use it wrong and you will just get burnt.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I think the problem with no man's sky were the gamers expectations... They didn't know what they wanted, their imaginations ran wild and they ignored key terms like randomly generated... As I always say, art is more important than tech in gaming, and along with that, good design is not important than random tech, it is also why the world in breath of the wild is so much more impressive than other open world games, because it was all designed with intent, they designed the placement of the vistas in the way an artist arranged every aspect of a portrait, the design may be open but it guides you towards specific areas by the shape of the land and the landmarks that attract your attention, and then makes those areas breathtaking

You can't get that with randomly generated crap

Though to be fair, No Mans Sky would have probably been a lot more popular if the developers had actually delivered the content at launch that they had either promised and hinted at. The game had some real potential, and they hyped it to high hell, but then failed to actually meet the expectations they had taken on. That is the thing about Hype though, its like playing with fire; use it right and you can do just about anything (marketing wise), but use it wrong and you will just get burnt.

Odo

PS$599

I agree with you, but I'm a bit more hopeful. I think the sentiment about PS4 was already "PS3 is already enough", however, PS4 is out there to become one of the most sold consoles of all time. Somehow, they will find something that will make people upgrade.

There's also a consumer upgrading habit and they know how to manage that very well. There are always early adopters, regular buyers and "sales buyers". Regular buyers were still having fun with PS3 while early adopters were jumping to PS4 hype. Then PS4 become cheaper and everybody jumped. PS4 can become even cheaper if PS5 is around. So early adopters will jump to PS5 while late "sales buyers" will have the chance to buy a PS4.

While Microsoft is all about tech and Nintendo is always about disrupting (if I can use this new fancy business term), Sony kept this behaviour that made them somehow distinct from the other two: they're boring. I mean, PS is just the successor of SNES. The big form factor, that very traditional controller that still feels like a SNES controller and they're so boring that they just keep iterating the number on the name (1,2,3,4) and this predictable way to keep releasing consoles is comforting for the users. We don't need to see the PS5, we already know that it's going to be a new reliable and more powerful Playstation that will run new games and it's going to be a complete entertainment system (SNES again, how funny).

What people will be looking for is more and more cloud features, maybe cloud processing, and yes, prettier games. I still believe that people will be looking for prettier games. Maybe not us here, but millions of children out there are still looking for it: power, graphics and big worlds. It's still exciting for the regular Joe and many of them buy a console for 5 big and beautiful games and the basic pack of GTA, Sports and Racing. The boring, not Labo disrupting, stuff.

So, even though PS5 may start with the usual slow sales from early adopters, somehow they'll manage to carry on and make the regular masses to upgrade later on.

Goodtwin

Yep, like ET said, the era of games selling primarily on graphics and size is starting to fade. For those of us that are older and started gaming during the 16bit generation or older have seen so many leaps in gaming. Going from 2D sprites to 3d polygon based games was mind blowing, and then the PS2 era did for 3d gaming what SNES/Genesis did for 2d gaming. Then HD comes along and brings another new very marketable dynamic to gaming. PS4 was very evolutionary and not revolutionary. It is a solid platform, but mostly offers more of the same.

Its not only limitations by the hardware or developers budget, but younger gamers aren't quite as concerned with graphics. They have had access to everything from Uncharted to Angry Birds for their whole gaming life. I think they are less influenced by graphics, and just want what is fun. Minecraft is a huge success with its N64 in HD visuals. Rocket League looks nice, but its far from its primary selling point. Fornite with its cartoon visuals is building a lot of momentum. Overreach, again looks nice, but sells because it is a great game and not because its the most realistic looking game ever.

Big and pretty just isn't what it once was. Opening the door for creative game concepts to shine.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Yep, like ET said, the era of games selling primarily on graphics and size is starting to fade. For those of us that are older and started gaming during the 16bit generation or older have seen so many leaps in gaming. Going from 2D sprites to 3d polygon based games was mind blowing, and then the PS2 era did for 3d gaming what SNES/Genesis did for 2d gaming. Then HD comes along and brings another new very marketable dynamic to gaming. PS4 was very evolutionary and not revolutionary. It is a solid platform, but mostly offers more of the same.

Its not only limitations by the hardware or developers budget, but younger gamers aren't quite as concerned with graphics. They have had access to everything from Uncharted to Angry Birds for their whole gaming life. I think they are less influenced by graphics, and just want what is fun. Minecraft is a huge success with its N64 in HD visuals. Rocket League looks nice, but its far from its primary selling point. Fornite with its cartoon visuals is building a lot of momentum. Overreach, again looks nice, but sells because it is a great game and not because its the most realistic looking game ever.

Big and pretty just isn't what it once was. Opening the door for creative game concepts to shine.

And thank the flying spaghetti monster for that, graphics whores will need a new way to validate their purchases

The same thing has happened in movies, you don't see people take on about special effects anymore, which is funny because they do EVERYTHING as an effects shot now. In big budget movies there practically isn't a frame untarnished

Odo

Games like Minecraft are like those old MMO games that keep children playing through addiction. Even when we had revolutions like PS2 to PS3, games like WoW were still a big deal despite any huge graphics improvement.

The AAA games that Sony try to sell and present as their biggest titles are still games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. All extraordinary examples of the best graphics in the market.

Even though Minecraft and GTAV can sell more than all of those examples together, the moment Sony stops caring about graphics, masses will probably be displeased or Xbox will come with the best graphics and Sony will not want to be seen as inferior in graphics and the graphics race will start over again.

However, I do agree that once games look like real life, developers will have to find something else to sell. We're no there yet, though. Big worlds are still impressing the masses and the bigger the world, the harder it is to make finer graphics. I believe next generation they'll try to sell big worlds like Horizon with graphics like we see in Uncharted. So, I believe there's still a lot to improve and to sell on graphics.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Games like Minecraft are like those old MMO games that keep children playing through addiction.
I disagree with this. I feel like the massive appeal of Minecraft is due to the interactivity in its game systems. The crafting system offers a lot of stuff to discover (on your own if you're not a guide person), the physics system for fluids like lava and water provide a lot of surprising moments, and the enemy variety interacts in a very direct way with the environment (creepers blowing up walls or spiders jumping over them, for example) which forces the player to experiment with the building system to make fortifications and other structures. Plus it allows for as much or more expression as Legos. That's all from what I played before the game even came out of beta - I haven't played it much since the full release with towns and story elements.

The one thing I'll agree with is that the progression system from iron to diamond gear and tools is very typical skinner-box, MMO-like design. That's definitely what kept me going deeper and deeper into the caves, rather than experimenting with the crafting system or building stuff.

Still, in my opinion Minecraft is quite a masterpiece of modern gaming, and probably the most influential game for Breath of the Wild other than Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time for the NES. It might not be as much "for me" as Breath of the Wild was, but I think I should acknowledge that its success is because of its multifaceted design.

EvilTw1n

https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/08/ps5-dev-kits-sent-third-party-developers-earlier-year-rumour/amp/

Interesting. Sellars has a decent track record with his info. If third parties have dev kits already, that means Sony's internal studios have had them longer. Maybe 2019 will be the year, after all.

(If you really want to wear your tinfoil hat, you could think "well, if Sony's own teams have had kits since late 2016-early 2017, having tech demos or ports ready by this year isn't out of the realm of possibility.")

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

That's the rumour that made me open this thread, but still, I don't know. 2019 seems to be too soon. PS4 is really strong this year.
Weirdly, that link only popped up in my news feed today.

2019 does seem too soon, I agree. And yet...up-res ports and remasters proved to be a lucrative business this gen, and they wouldn't over-burden devs to get games ready for an imminent launch. I'll stick with 2020 as my guess, but it's an interesting time to be Sony. The only reason to push something else out is if they think they could lose marketshare by standing pat.