Report : Nintendo back to profits ( update )

Ex-Actarus

According to the very reliable Nikkei, Nintendo will post profits for the last fiscal year ending March 2015. This would be quite a turnaround for Nintendo after 3 very difficult years... Is this the start of a new prosperous era ? Who knows ? Afterall, NX, mobile games and QOL devices are not out yet, so the future looks bright ( from a financial prospective at least ).

Let's wait for the confirmation next week when the numbers will be revealed, but that's a very encouraging report ! We've been hard on Iwata - rightly so - for questionable decisions and a poor track record in the last 3 years. But posting profits when hardware ( and possibly software ) sales are probably at an all time low for Nintendo is pretty remarkable to say the least. Apparently the sales of titles as Smash 4 and Yokai Watch and the success of the New 3DS helped Nintendo in the recovery.

I hope those better than expected numbers means more details about the Nintendo's future from Iwata during the investors meeting. We know we won't get details about NX, but maybe we'll get a clear roadmap for QOL devices and mobile games.

Source : http://nintendoeverything.com/nikke...-yen-operating-profit-for-latest-fiscal-year/

UPDATE :

It's now confirmed. Nintendo is back to profit. Congratz Iwata !

The most incredible thing is the following :

- Nintendo failed to meet Wii U target
- Nintendo failed to meet 3DS target ( despite the launch of the New 3DS )
- Revenue are down by 4%

But despite ALL that, they managed to turn back to profits. Very Impressive !

One of the reasons is the lower production cost. This could indicate that Nintendo could drop the Wii U prize later this year...

Source : http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32620717

Attachments

Last edited:
Good. Nice to hear good things for Nintendo. Looking forward to the mobile apps/games. That will help Nintendo out even more. Also agreed that amiibo helped a lot. Not complaining because those things are awesome.

Ex-Actarus

I'm very happy with Nintendo results and new direction. I think this is the start of the biggest change in company's history since the NES.

Goodtwin

Its good that Nintendo can still be Nintendo, and do it profitably. Nintendo is slow to change, and in some ways, thats a good thing, and in other ways its frustrating. Obviously as a fan of Nintendo I want them to be healthy as a company, and if they can manage their wost selling console cycle ever, and still find a way to make money, then good for them. It looks like they are looking to diversify their brand image, and by getting into the mobile market and teaming up with Universal theme parks, they will continue to generate fans of their IP's from not only gamers, but people who arent really gamers yet. Its similar to why games based on movies often sell well, brand recognition goes a long way. Making Mario and the crew appealing to those who aren't currently playing Nintendo games is a big step in propositioning those consumers into entering the market.

Nintendo is the best publisher in the world when it comes to new/non gamers. They are very diligent in their determination to make games not only fun for seasoned gamers, but accessible to non gamers as well. Mario Kart 8 can be played by just about anyone, but their is a ton of depth there that allows seasoned gamers to really hone their skills and master the game. Sames with Smash Bros, and is a common theme with a lot of their games. Mario Tennis is insanely addicting for that reason. Nintendo has a knack for creating easy to play but challenging to master gameplay concepts in their games.

Odo

Well done!

A new system named NX
Mobile games
A ridiculously powerful hand-held called New 3DS
A themed Park
Finally developing in HD
The same games on TV and hand-held
Amiibo

This new era of Nintendo is going to be legendary!

Koenig

The Architect
@Odo
I am still skeptical, but things are looking up. My main concern is how well Nintendo will maintain such services. Nintendo has a record of introducing novel and innovative services and forgetting about them a few years down the line.

Odo

Nintendo is keeping his core business as is and outsourcing the rest. For example, this themed park is more about the use of Nintendo brands by Universal, so it's more an Universal business than Nintendo's.

As long as nobody hurts Nintendo brand an characters, it's going to be fine.

I'm more concerned about mobile games. I'd like to know exactly what is going to be outsourced to DeNA. I hope Nintendo just take care of the creative work and let DeNA do the technical job.

Ex-Actarus

@Koenig @Odo , my main concern is how Nintendo is going to be able to handle development on so many devices ?

Ok we know they're developing games for NX, but now they have to deal with mobile games. This will definitively take resources somewhere. For instance Hideko Konno, the Mario Kart producer, will handle mobile game development. That's a good news from the standpoint high quality games are coming on mobile devices ; but on the other hand, I would rather have him at the helm of Mario Kart NX !

IMO, Nintendo is done with the Wii U. They finishing games they're working on the teams right now will join the other teams working on NX and mobile games. But what about the 3DS ? That console is still going strong, especially in Japan. I don't see Nintendo dropping the 3DS before 2017 really. They have 20 million 3DS in Japan ( and counting ), that's a HUGE installed base for games as Yoktai Watch, Monster Hunter and Pokemon. And what about Dragon Quest XI ? Are we expecting that game to come out on ANYTHING ELSE than the 3DS ?

So my point is, Nintendo was - already - struggling to support 2 platforms ( Wii U and 3DS ). Assuming they drop the Wii U by next year, they still have 3 platform to develop for : 3DS, NX and mobile. That require lots of resources. That's my main concern !

Koenig

The Architect
While this is just a hypothesis, I think it is likely that the NX will be backwards compatible towards the wii U, possibly with addition features built into games for it. Similar to how the "New 3DS" (God I still want to punch whoever named it) can play 3DS games, but has extra features and graphical capacity in some of them. That would allow Nintendo to focus on development while gradually fazing out the Wii U.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
While this is just a hypothesis, I think it is likely that the NX will be backwards compatible towards the wii U, possibly with addition features built into games for it. Similar to how the "New 3DS" (God I still want to punch whoever named it) can play 3DS games, but has extra features and graphical capacity in some of them. That would allow Nintendo to focus on development while gradually fazing out the Wii U.
This is what I believe as well.