Report : Sony first party studios no more involved in the Vita development

Ex-Actarus

Very sad day for the Vita owners and handheld fans out there. Sony has announced their 1st party teams are no longer developing games for the PlayStation Vita.

This is huge blow for Vita owners, because if the manufacturer is not supporting its console anymore, chances are that 3rd party devs will follow as well very soon...

The PS Vita has been a complete disaster from the start. It never had strong support from 3rd party devs and even Sony refused to really involve its A teams ( Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Guerilla Games or Santa Monica ) on it. Besides the systems was highly criticized for the high price of peripherals ( especially memory cards ) which turned of potential buyers.

The Vita is still relevant in some markets. In Japan, the Vita is still one of the best selling system thanks to many RPG games. It's the 3rd best selling system in Japan so far this year, behind the 3DS and PS4. However, I don't see the system recovering in the US ( just 2.5 million units sold... ) or in Europe, despite the Minecraft revival.

But the saddest part is that Sony already confirmed they won't make a Vita successor...

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/10/23/sony-confirms-its-stopped-first-party-vita-development

FriedShoes

MLG
Its kinda like another path to what Nintendo is (possibly) doing. Sony is cutting out dead weight to focus everything on their main console. Thats fine with me, Gravity Daze 2 looks great.
Nintendo is likely going to have an easier time focusing with games with the shared family of consoles or hybrid device ideas that have been speculated. It isnt outright cutting handheld.

It'd be brilliant if all those thirdies put their jprgs on 3DS instead from now on.
Thatd be great

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It is a shame that the Vita is essentially dead. It is a very nice system after all.
Just means it's going to be pretty cheap real soon, right? I think 4 years was a good run for it. I wonder what Sony has planned for the future, though. Do they still believe in handheld gaming systems? Or are they just going to divert those resources toward their console strategy instead?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Just means it's going to be pretty cheap real soon, right? I think 4 years was a good run for it. I wonder what Sony has planned for the future, though. Do they still believe in handheld gaming systems? Or are they just going to divert those resources toward their console strategy instead?
Probably the latter. The handheld market has lost a ton of market-share to smartphones and tablets. Even the 3DS can't sell as well as previous handhelds so I'd say they're better off just focusing 100% on their home console. Granted, the Vita was never really a focus for them to begin with :p

Odo

I bet they don't. They're going to focus on TV consoles only. Or maybe a PS Vita for Japan only.