Rich From IGN: "Interesting Wii U-related News"

He tweeted:"Some very interesting Wii U-related news coming tomorrow. Stay tuned. All I'm saying."
https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/299234151708639232
Hype?
Also:http://nintendoenthusiast.com/ign-editor-teases-interesting-wii-u-news-for-tomorrow/

Something completely meh like Funky Barn 2 or the already announced patch for ZombiU.
If it is something awesome, at the most it would be along the lines of DLC for BLOPS2 finally, or inclusion of Wii U on a multi platform title like Tomb Raider.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'll give Rich the benefit of the doubt. He didn't say this is "big, OMG teh epix" news, just interesting. So he has my interest.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I am expecting almost nothing.... not even that a gem or service is coming... it'll be soemthing like "Reggie is taking a trip to japan to talk strategy with Iwata at NCL"

soemthing behind the scenes that doesn't give us anything useful at all

I can confirm Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is coming to Wii U. Actually, I've been hinting at it for a loooonnnngggg time.

But Deus Ex U won't be shown tomorrow (Thursday). I don't know what the announcement tomorrow is.

Ex-Actarus

I can confirm Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is coming to Wii U. Actually, I've been hinting at it for a loooonnnngggg time.

But Deus Ex U won't be shown tomorrow (Thursday). I don't know what the announcement tomorrow is.
Are you the real Emily Rogers ?
Anyway, I would be disappointed by that annoucement, like I said in another thread, i'm tired of PS3/360 ports.
it seems the Wii U is suffering from the same syndrome as the Wii with the Wimakes (all those PS2 ports ).
We need news games !!!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm almost willing to bet that it's just an announcement of the first incoming patch to the OS.

Huh, I saw you said in IGN the devs wanted to announce it themselves, I must have missed the announcement.
Unless you are giving us a "scoop" (we did comment how it was guaranteed to be the one, in an earlier thread), in which case thanks a bunch.

I'm almost willing to bet that it's just an announcement of the first incoming patch to the OS.

Huh, I saw you said in IGN the devs wanted to announce it themselves,
I must have missed the announcement.
Unless you are giving us a "scoop" (we did comment how it was guaranteed to be the one, in an earlier thread), in which case thanks a bunch.
The thing I mentioned in the IGN thread was about an eShop game/indie developer. Has nothing to do with Deus Ex.

Feel free to private message me, and I'll explain what I was talking about.

Off-screen gameplay, Murphy and co-op multiplayer stages still exclusive to Wii U version, Delay time is for porting to other consoles:
Poix explained that the GamePad-based cooperative experience of Rayman
Legends will remain exclusive to Wii U, while the Xbox and PlayStation
versions will operate more similarly to Rayman Origins. He couldn’t
offer many specifics just yet but indicated that more information will
be coming leading up to the game’s release.

Cyan

Oh no, not Rayman! Delayed AND no longer just for Wii U!? What are they thinking! It's like they don't expect their mediocre at best platformer(?) to sell that well!
Note: green text is sarcasm.

My doctor said he had some interesting news for me once.

Turned out my cancer had aids. He was kind of a dick.
Funny (and I agree). "Interesting" was a poor choice of word. That probably wasn't aimed at Rich, but either way we don't want this to turn into a post-a-thon for bashing him like on some other forum... On the other hand, they do give us this:
yes, the delay blows chunks

EvilTw1n

Bummer on the delay, but I really couldn't care less about the exclusivity. Which is why Rich's article just leaves me nonplussed.http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/wii-us-struggle-to-remain-relevant
"Remain relevant"? Dude, it's Rayman. I'm not trying to take anything away from the series, but when you think of system sellers and megatons, Rayman ain't one. Which is why it makes sense for Ubi to put it on as many consoles as possible.

Menashe

At least this is the way a multi-platform game should be done. Simultaneous launch on Wii U, 360, and PS3 with the Wii U version being the ideal version.

theMightyME

rish has become more and more outright hostile towards his own audience...

and hyping a major disappointment is just the last straw... I have lost any respect I had for him....

he HAD to know that "Interesting" would be perceived as an announcement, a surprise, something POSSITIVE by his readers... there are many better words he could have chosen "controversial", "depressing", "trying", "unwelcomed"

and then he follows up the negative reaction with a taunt

fuck him

I wasn't expecting the news to be anything at all.. I wasn't expecting an anouncement.. I thought it would be some behind the scenes crap that didn't mean anything... I am not even particularly attached to that game... so this isn;t me angry about being fooled, or not getting the game I want.. I am angry because he purposefully mislead his audience and then mocked them about a loss that was pretty hard on many of them (it was the only key game we had coming since the system launched through to the end of march...gamers (many of whom have nothing left to play on their wii Us) were counting on it it to carry them into march... where lego citiy undercover and a few multiplats/ports would carry them on to the eventual releases of pikmin 3 and wonderful 101... to these people, the loss of rayman until September is a HUGE blow... to the Nintendo fanboy audience, the lack of exclusivity on the title is downright demoralizing

for Rich George to act like this shows nothing but contempt for his own audience

I think I'd rather have greg miller running the ign nintendo channel at this point

theMightyME

another thing that really frustrates me about all this is that Is aw a tweet from rich yesterday in which one of his followers slyly said soemthing like "google street view on the wii u sure isn't interesting is it?" and he responded with "not to me" with a little smile face

again, playing with hype and expectations, when he knows it is going to crush a good portion of his audience

that is pure dick move

as I said... I DIDN'T expect anything myself, and I AM NOT super interested in the game (I was gonna wait for a digital sale), so it isn't the news that bothers me, it is the sheer asshattery of Rich, to be so cruel to a huge segment of his readers....

I am furious

EvilTw1n

I had been thinking that Rich may have been getting a bit of a raw deal on this one. But words matter, and this was just very strange word choice. It was to generate page clicks, but it wasn't even needed. If any other IGN editor would have said something like "I have interesting news, read tomorrow" and the news had turned out to be Far Cry 3 being delayed for six months, no one would have said that it's "interesting."The only "interesting" part about this is that Rich had a long op/ed he wanted to pimp about Nintendo and third parties. I just clicked over to his Twitter, and he's saying "I did not say exciting news, I said interesting, and it is." I truly don't think he understands that in his position, as the head honcho for IGN Nintendo, when he says he has something "interesting" to share, people are not assuming it's just whatever he personally finds "interesting" on the state of the industry. I'm sorry, but he just ain't that important (Kojima-san or Suda51 or Sakaguchi-san, those are figures who can tell me about what they find "interesting" in the industry at large). We're assuming that he, as an executive editor of the biggest gaming site on the net, actually has something to break from his sources, and "interesting" is not synonymous with "bad." Don't set up your readers for disappointment; it's condescending.
I don't want to lump in Rich with Casamassina yet, but he didn't do himself any favors today. But at least we get a funny meme out of it.

I get the impression that Rich would prefer to be a part of the IGN Xbox team. At least I still have Audrey to uplift my spirits.

I'm not that bothered by the delay I remember them delaying Roller Coaster Tycoon 3DS for almost 6 months and I had it on preorder. Too bad the game was awful though. I can see why people are upset but I hope those people will support the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 instead.

theMightyME

somebody posted "I love you Audrey" on one of her articles and it was the top rated comment.. rich than took it as his personal mission to make everyone who upped that comment feel like creepers, and repeatedly made comments about how it was messed up

to me, that is more sexist than a snide comment that would commonly be called sexist now... I remember back in the day when cassamassina was beloved as the head of IGN's nintendo channel that he got similar comments... rich is the one who sexualized it in some strange way and turned it into something not so innocent....

just in general I think rich has allot of contempt for his audience... and it kind of sickens me

Rich didn't work his way up in the Nintendo department at IGN, he was brought in from the Comics department after the old IGN Wii team fell apart But this was beyond what was expected in many people's eyes including myself. Ben's comments above have me wondering if this might actually be him trying to work his way over to one of the other departments.

EvilTw1n

Honestly, I just don't think he groks his position. I mean, his latest Tweet is "Think I'm done with the Internet for a couple days."
Like Source said, he was in IGN Comics before. But he's in the bigs now. Leading an IGN editorial team for one of the big three consoles is as major league as you get for gaming journalism. You don't get away with misleading quips. People got on him for the "you have to buy this fancy third party headset for the Wii U" article after iPod ear buds proved to work. And now he's getting it (deservedly, at least to an extent) for this "interesting" comment.
If you're the lead editor, you have to be careful with your facts (which he wasn't on the ear phones, apparently) and careful with how you're selling your news and articles (there was nothing "interesting" about Rayman being delayed, really; it sucks for Nintendo owners to have to wait). You will get criticism and pushback. There is no deference from a readership that actually knows what it's talking about. I do hope he realizes that. Don't jerk readers around.

Ex-Actarus

Rich is a true Nintendo fan, no doubt about that.
If he didn't care about Nintendo, he wouldn't spent so much writing long and often passionate article about Nintendo.
Now having said, that, Rich clearly doesn't have what it takes to lead the IGN Nintendo section.
I was always mad at Matt Cassamina because he was a questionable Nintendo fan.
But at least he was a real professionnal ! The Nintendo content at the time was second to none !
The current Nintendo section is a real mess !
I'm not even going to mention the podcast, NVC, they don't even happen on a regular basis and they are so unprofessionnal !
I could not believe sometime, they were saying they did not have the time to record the podcast, because they were busy...
What the hell are they paif for then ?
At least, the Playsation team does a great job with Beyond. you can get lots of info on Sony.
And pretty often you get interviews from Sony devs or execs.
And besides, you get Beyond EVERY week...
Rich lacks leadership to lead the team. And Audrey - even if respect her Nintendo passion - is a fanboy and her reviews are biaised.

theMightyME

To be honest, I don't see why people dislike Rich so much. Yeah he may make little screw ups here and there like a human being should, but I don't see him as the villainous force others seem to see him as.

Another stereotype I don't understand is Colin Moriarty being a huge Sony Fanboy. The way I see him is that he's optimistic when it makes sense to be, but has no problem being realistic when the time comes (if you get my rift). Kind of reminds me of myself actually.
Rich makes mistakes and then blames the reaction to his mistakes, he never takes responsibility and then acts arrogant about it... he has been infected by san fransisco IGN office smug IMO

as for Collin... I am guessing you never listened to gamescoop... he said some pretty damn inflammatory things about nintendo, he went off on tirades belittling the company and its fanbase, he is the worst of the gamescoop crew in this regard... greg miller has really toned down his negativity, and collin even bests daemon in wii hate.... I watched a gamescoop video recently where they were talking about the next sony and ms consoles and they kept talkign about it as if the wii u didn't exist, I mean there wasn't even a thought even when it was completely appropriate, and then somebody did mention wii u and everyone just stopped talking, then the guy who mentioned it said it was a joke and they all laughed.... god I fucking hate the SF IGN office

Well at least we had some fun, LOL.

Rick is becoming a Casamassina.
Unfortunately, yes
Was Matt ever that bad? The worst I can remember him doing was 7.9ing Mario Kart DD, I feel like this will be uniquely Rich. On the bright side, I think Rich must have an amazing poker-face. This was the funniest news I've read in a long while (I guess to finally hear the whole story about the rayman stuff)

FriedShoes

MLG
I liked Matt because he teased GOOD news and kept on leaking stuff. Also the podcasts under him were usually consistent, always enjoyable.
Collin is by far the worst they have. Ever since he gave Friday Night Lights 6's, I couldn't trust his word on anything related to art. Which I found hilarious after he coined the "entitled gamer" term and defended the wonderful story that was ME3.And yes, he is extremely inflammatory towards Nintendo. Number one douche at IGN.

Unfortunately, yes
Was Matt ever that bad? The worst I can remember him doing was 7.9ing Mario Kart DD, I feel like this will be uniquely Rich. On the bright side, I think Rich must have an amazing poker-face. This was the funniest news I've read in a long while (I guess to finally hear the whole story about the rayman stuff)
Fran 7.9'd Double Dash, Casa got on the fans bad side after that ridiculous editorial "Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care"

Fran 7.9'd Double Dash, Casa got on the fans bad side after that ridiculous editorial "Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care"
I forgot about that, but I actually agreed with him to a degree, especially at that time. (uh well.. I don't remember the time exactly but...) The original New Super Mario Brothers on the DS was terribly lazy, it reused models from Super Mario 64 and Mini-games, on top of that the level design was ho-hum (in my opinion) and terribly easy (especially thanks to the mega mushroom). I guess what I mean by it is Nintendo can get incredibly lazy, especially if you let them, I said that then, but I wouldn't really call them lazy now... Conservative... Nintendo is still and has always been conservative... but what can you do? Maybe that's why they are still around and companies like SEGA are barely hanging on (And at least they still do experiment in their games even if only 60% make it over).
Anyway, I always thought the fan outcry to that was over blown to an extreme degree, and to bring his entire carrier into question because of it is silly. I think he was not only a great editor, but a great Nintendo Editor. I still think IGN Nintendo has been understaffed though ever since Fran and Peer got promoted, so it's also hard for me to be too hard on Matt, Bozon, Craig, Audrey Rich, and the rest (including the features staff).

theMightyME

I liked Matt because he teased GOOD news and kept on leaking stuff. Also the podcasts under him were usually consistent, always enjoyable.
Collin is by far the worst they have. Ever since he gave Friday Night Lights 6's, I couldn't trust his word on anything related to art. Which I found hilarious after he coined the "entitled gamer" term and defended the wonderful story that was ME3.And yes, he is extremely inflammatory towards Nintendo. Number one douche at IGN.

Unfortunately, yes
I never hated on Matt.... I think he was by far the best nintendo specific editor in all of gaming journalism... I think he just got beat down after the change of guard at IGN when people like daemon hatefield came in... I remember how irrate he was in the GOTY 2006 discussion when okami won over twilight princess because barely anyone at the SF IGN office had even played twilight princess... he wasn't mad because okami won, but because nobody even bothered to play the nintendo games... that was around when everythign started going wrong at IGN.... and I think Casa was suffering the same kind of crap we were, only where we had trolls and fanboys of other consoles bashing our interests, he had the SF office bashing his... the article he wrote was IMO his frustration as a nintendo fan that nintendo was refusing to stay relevant.... around that same time is when I stopped identifying myself as a gamer, so I could see the things that pushed him to his conclusion because I was experiencing them as well... where I could just disassociate myself with that crowd, he was working with them... every-time IGN would make some list of the best games of the year, or other such things cassa's opinionw as basically disregarded and nintendo games were not even considered... I think that stuff frustrated the hell out of him, he was essentially the biggest guy at IGN, the most recognizable name, one of the most senior employees at the company, an innovator in his field and he had basically been made irrelevant... I blame the "hardcore" gamer, and the SF office at IGN which went from respectful and well informed to arrogant and juvenile.

Matt was one of us... He just burnt out after years of disrespect and marginalization by those who became the new guard at IGN

cannot wait for the same thing to happen to the current crop.. daemon is looking rather haggard as of late.... IGN is like MTV, you start to get bounced out as you get older... IGN doesn't fire them off, they just start marginalizing them until they leave... atleast that is how the SF office is