SEGA's Next Nintendo Exclusive is "Sonic Boom"

It's all just embarrassing.

Sonic has been on life support for years. Colours and Generations comes out and gives us reasons to believe that Sonic may be primed for a comeback.

Then Lost World hits and while I heard it's "okay", I heard it's another step back.

Now 2014, the "year of Sonic" as Sega said, a brand new re-imaging of the franchise to get a fresh start.....and they release this pile of shit.

Why is Sonic a yearly franchise? Jesus Sega, give the fucker a break. Maybe make other games?

Goodtwin

The truth is this game is targeting the same audience that the tv show is, and from that standpoint, I dont think the product is all that crappy. Its going to be a fairly easy and straight forward 3d platforming adventure game. The visuals dont look terrible to me, its animated fairly well.

If Sega wants Sonic to return to its glory days, they return Sonic to 2D. You can still make very impressive 2d games these days that will sell just fine. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze prove that. In 2D, Sonic can be fast, its hard to make that work in the 3d world. Plenty of IP's have went 3D, and then made a return to the 2d plane. Some games simply dont transition very well. For harcore Sonic fans, I think a return to 2d would be be welcome, especially if they went all out like Retro did with DKC Returns and TF.

Odo

It's not about the game being ugly. It's not. For me, this Sonic looks like a generic game. A poor game, it's generic even for children.

Sonic is dead. Give Sonic the same fate of all those franchises that have gone. Sonic needs to rest in peace.

Or, sell Sonic to Nintendo. Miyamoto may know what to do. :D

Ex-Actarus

It's not about the game being ugly. It's not. For me, this Sonic looks like a generic game. A poor game, it's generic even for children.

Sonic is dead. Give Sonic the same fate of all those franchises that have gone. Sonic needs to rest in peace.

Or, sell Sonic to Nintendo. Miyamoto may know what to do. :D
They should try to go back to the games that were actually quite well received as Colors or Sonic Generations.

There is no point bringing a new Sonic every year and fail miserably.

I knew Sonic Boom was going to look terrible and more than likely play terrible from the moment I laid eyes on it. I wish they would make a good Sonic again. Some of the 3D games were pretty good in my opinion but honestly this is a joke in trying to re-vamp a franchise that really should be going back to it's roots like other games. No examples come to mind right now but I'm pretty sure you guys know a few.

Ex-Actarus

Oh my ! This is BAD...
If this is accurate I blame both Sega and Nintendo.
If the studio so many KEY people months ( and even 1 year of the producer ) before the game was released, then why didn't you send extra personnel to help them finish the game ?
This a Lose Lose situation for everybody : Nintendo, Sega and Sonic fans...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Oh my ! This is BAD...
If this is accurate I blame both Sega and Nintendo.
If the studio so many KEY people months ( and even 1 year of the producer ) before the game was released, then why didn't you send extra personnel to help them finish the game ?
This a Lose Lose situation for everybody : Nintendo, Sega and Sonic fans...
For me Sonic has been so bad for so long that a situation like this dont even phase me. It's a crappy franchise that nobody outside of a few fans cares about.

Ex-Actarus

For me Sonic has been so bad for so long that a situation like this dont even phase me. It's a crappy franchise that nobody outside of a few fans cares about.
Yes some Sonic games have been bad, but it seems that one has been even worse that the worst ones...

Again some games as Colors and Generation have been pretty well received. So Sega knows what formula works.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yes some Sonic games have been bad, but it seems that one has been even worse that the worst ones...

Again some games as Colors and Generation have been pretty well received. So Sega knows what formula works.
I guess to each there own but Sonic for me is Trash Boat tier

Sonics problem is he's inferior to mario and he always has been.

So he's been trying to compensate ever since and thus has no identity.

Everyone has different expectations for him and his stories are always fanficition tier shit.

I guess thats what happens when you constantly try to appeal to what the new kids on the block find cool after every generation

No, its because Sega of America is stupid.

BRB was having an exodus a full year before it was revealed. They had no idea what to do with this game gameplay wise. It's a stupid reboot that turned into boom from what it was originally meant to be.

the_randomizer

No, its because Sega of America is stupid.

BRB was having an exodus a full year before it was revealed. They had no idea what to do with this game gameplay wise. It's a stupid reboot that turned into boom from what it was originally meant to be.
Then again, who am I to disagree with you? -_- I'll shut my festering gob the next time I want to rant against Sega of America. Very rarely is it that people rate that on my comments, clearly, I need to be less frequent in posting my opinions on here.

A thousand apologies.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Then again, who am I to disagree with you? -_- I'll shut my festering gob the next time I want to rant against Sega of America. Very rarely is it that people rate that on my comments, clearly, I need to be less frequent in posting my opinions on here.

A thousand apologies.
Screw that Random, I think they suck also. You opinion is just as valid as Laer's.

A thousand apologies.
If I let people's ratings get to me, I'd be outta here loooooong ago.

Sometimes, you just gotta say "fuck da police".

Right @mattavelle1 ?

For the record, I blame Sega too. They clearly didn't give BRB enough time to optimize or anything, just rush it out for the holidays and the cartoon launch.

Who knows though, maybe BRB just isn't a good developer anyways.

But again again, Sega did the same thing with Aliens last year.....so yeah, Sega just doesn't have a fucking clue these days

the_randomizer

@GaemzDood If my opinion bothers you so much about the shitty framerate, maybe I'd best keep my damn mouth shut about Sonic Boom? See, clearly, you two don't like what I have to say about it. Face it, the framerate is shit, is it not? Did you see how choppy it is? It can't even hit 30 consistently. Maybe I'll shut my f***ing mouth. There is NO excuse for the <30 fps. At all.

Hey, why don't I just shut my effing gob more often, how's that sound?

GaemzDood

@GaemzDood If my opinion bothers you so much about the shitty framerate, maybe I'd best keep my damn mouth shut about Sonic Boom? See, clearly, you two don't like what I have to say about it. Face it, the framerate is shit, is it not? Did you see how choppy it is? It can't even hit 30 consistently. Maybe I'll shut my f***ing mouth. There is NO excuse for the <30 fps. At all.

Hey, why don't I just shut my effing gob more often, how's that sound?
Wtf are you talking about? I don't think I even posted in this thread before you mentioned me bro.

Side note: this game is worse than testicle warts and ingrown fingernails. Why would I defend it?

the_randomizer

Wtf are you talking about? I don't think I even posted in this thread before you mentioned me bro.

Side note: this game is worse than testicle warts and ingrown fingernails. Why would I defend it?

Saw this on notifications, "GaemzDood rated your post
Disagree in the thread SEGA's Next Nintendo Exclusive is "Sonic Boom"."

So, hence why I feel my opinions on this game to be worthless piles of shit. I don't even know why I posted that opinion at all. The post was post #119, my notices state you did in fact rate it as X-disagree, so, yeah, I'm deleting it.

GaemzDood

Saw this on notifications, "GaemzDood rated your post
Disagree in the thread SEGA's Next Nintendo Exclusive is "Sonic Boom"."

So, hence why I feel my opinions on this game to be worthless piles of shit. I don't even know why I posted that opinion at all. The post was post #119, my notices state you did in fact rate it as X-disagree, so, yeah, I'm deleting it.
Oh that. I only disagreed because you said it was made to purposely sabotage the Wii U, which seems like something someone with paranoid schizophrenia would say. I agree with you on the framerate though.

Ex-Actarus

My question is, where the Sonic franchise goes from here ?

I mean I think they should give back the series to Dimps and the Sonic Team in the first place. They've been the most consistent studios for Sonic as far quality goes.

Then they should go back to the basics, Donkey Kong Returns style.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Mt question, where the Sonic franchise goes from here ?

I mean I think they should give back the series to Dimps and the Sonic Team in the first place. They've been the most consistent studios for Sonic as far quality goes.

Then they should go back to the basics, Donkey Kong Returns style.
Defiantly back too 2D. Even then tho it's probably gonna suck.

Ex-Actarus

Defiantly back too 2D. Even then tho it's probably gonna suck.
It seems you've never been a big Sonic fan @mattavelle1 .
It's clear there was never any competition with Nintendo as far as I'm concerned. This was just pure marketing from Sega. Sonic games are average.

For me the best one is still Sonic 2. But even Sonic 2 was NEVER even close to the best Mario or Donkey Kong games.

But Sonic fans deserve at least games as good as Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generation.

Last edited:

Odo

Sonic is over.

If Megaman is over, why can't be Sonic over?

Let Sonic go to the retirement house of game stars.