September Forum Question: Did You Own Ubisoft Games?

This month's question comes from Matt.

Do you own any Ubisoft games on Wii U? If yes: What ones and what do you think of them

If no: Why not

Me:

Assassin's Creed 3 - 60% synched so far. Loving it for the most part. 85% on metacritic (tied for highest version with ps3)
Assassin's Creed 4 - One of my favorite U games. 86% on metacritic, tied with ps3 and 360
Splinter Cell - Great fun, not the best in the series, launched with broken online. 75 on metacritic, lower than other versions
Rayman Legends - Great fun, highest rated version at 92 on metacritic
Zombi U - enjoyed it, a bit rushed (normal for a launch title). 77 on metacritic
Child of Light - beautiful game. 83 on metacritic, only lower than ps3 wiith an 89

Your turn.

Goodtwin

I own some.

Zombi U
Rayman Legends

I am planning on buying Child of Light, but havent done so yet. Mainly because the majoirty of my gaming time has been eaten up by Monster Hunter lately. As for the majority of the other games they released on Wii U, its simply a matter of time and making choices. They didnt really strike a chord with me, and I rented AC3 and AC4, and never really got into them. I cant say that I am against cinematic games, cause I loved Mass Effect 3 on Wii U, but in general I think to many games are sold on being cinematic, and there isnt enough gameplay content these days. As for Splinter Cell, I am never patient enough for those games. It always turns into a shootout, and you typically lose when that happens.

I own some.

Zombi U
Rayman Legends

I am planning on buying Child of Light, but havent done so yet. Mainly because the majoirty of my gaming time has been eaten up by Monster Hunter lately. As for the majority of the other games they released on Wii U, its simply a matter of time and making choices. They didnt really strike a chord with me, and I rented AC3 and AC4, and never really got into them. I cant say that I am against cinematic games, cause I loved Mass Effect 3 on Wii U, but in general I think to many games are sold on being cinematic, and there isnt enough gameplay content these days. As for Splinter Cell, I am never patient enough for those games. It always turns into a shootout, and you typically lose when that happens.
Have to disagree with you about Assassin's Creed 3 and 4. Sure they are cinematic, but it's not like Call of Duty where all you do is get strung along by set pieces.

In Ass Creed 4 you can be sailing your ship, start up a fight, jump off swim to an island, get treasure, come back and board the other ship and take it over. It's all player controlled. When all that is happening in a hurricane or thundstorm, it's pretty awesome.

Koenig

The Architect
Zombi U and Rayman Legends. Both are games that were made with the Wii U in mind and were not haphazardly ported to the system.

Last edited:

FriedShoes

MLG
ZombiU
Rayman Legends
Love them both, with ZombiU probably still making my top ten list.
Still felt burned by Ubi nonsensically delaying Legends, but that game turned out great too.

I can talk for days about ZombiU though, and coming from someone who is absolutely tired of the mass zombie craze, its kinda strange.
I tried Assassins Creed on on other consoles, never liked them. I know the latest one tried new things but I just dont care.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
On Wii U, I own the following Ubisoft games:

ZombiU
Assassin's Creed 3
Rayman Legends

Do I plan on buying more games on the Wii U from Ubisoft? It's possible I suppose. I hear good things about Splinter Cell: Blacklist for the Wii U, despite the loading times. I hear the gamepad features are quite nice, and the game itself runs pretty well. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag was another game I was contemplating, but the lack of any DLC is a deterrent. Then again, the chances of actually buying the DLC are probably slim really as the main game itself has a ton of stuff to do.

When Watch Dogs eventually comes out (I'm still optimistic it'll come out), it damn well better be the definitive version for current gen systems with all bugs and glitches fixed, and any and all DLC included out of the box. THAT is how you sell a Wii U version of a game that was delayed after it's competitors, Ubisoft. Make Wii U owners actually want to get the game.

FriedShoes

MLG
Oh I should mention I'm totally skipping Watch_Dogs. Just from the things I've seen and heard its meh to me. Aiden is probably the most unlikeable protaganist of 2014.

And given that the game will likely be the last Ubi game we get on Wii U, well that's that I suppose.

Cubits

ZombiU
Rayman
Splinter Cell
Assassins Creed 4
Child of Light

Love rayman, it's every bit as good as a 2d mario. The care which went into the music and design is reminiscent of the golden age of animation. The perfect companion platformer for Nintendo's IP.

ZombiU has a bit of dodgy pacing, but that's all I can level against it. The controls, the atmosphere, the metroid like progression, the puzzles, and especially the death mechanics are all brilliant. Reminds me of condemned, a similarly critically under appreciated game. Ubisoft did much better with this than they did with red steel 1.

Splinter cell runs well, has some strange handling, and utterly atrocious loading times, even the digital version. I can't really forgive the lack of DLC in a single player game like thus, either. Weak support, Ubisoft.

I hate assassins creed 4. The opening scene chugs along at 20 fps, there's an ass load of HUD clutter, the sprint and climb buttons are the same, and the cut scenes are full of possessed dolls reading terrible dialogue. I get that the sailing makes this great for an entry in the series, but the rest just bored the shit out of me.

Child of light is good though. I hope ubi continues to release eshop games even if they pull their big game support.

Edit: and Michel ancel needs to leave ubisoft and second party as Nintendo's European studio. He's such a perfect fit for their style, and is completely out of step with the management at ubisoft.

Last edited:

GaemzDood

Metacritic didn't even include IGN's 9.2 review for Blacklist on Wii U, hence the undeservingly low score. It's easily the best console version.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Goodtwin

I am optimistic about Watch Dogs. Its not an automatic buy for me, but if things seem really positive, then I will buy it. There simply wont be many experiences on Wii U similar to that game, so if its polished, and seems interesting, then I will give it a go, even if its not normally my cup of tea.

GaemzDood

I own some.

Zombi U
Rayman Legends

Cinematic games the best fuck outta here back to your 80s fuccboi movie tie in shit lmao #rekt.

Goodtwin

Metacritic didn't even include IGN's 9.2 review for Blacklist on Wii U, hence the undeservingly low score. It's easily the best console version.

So many ports on Wii U have been bashed for their lower framerate, but totally ignore the fact that those versions have no screen tearing. Im not sure why Wii U gets Vsync while the others just tear frames, but they are both blemishes in performance. If Wii U is running 24fps with no tearing, and the 360 and PS3 are running 30fps with tons of tearing, pick your poison. Vsync those game on 360 and PS3 and watch those framerate plummet. I swear these developers actually tried to give what they felt was the lesser of two evils, but placed like Digital Foundry only only games accountable for framerate, and rarely is tearing held to the same standard.

GaemzDood

So many ports on Wii U have been bashed for their lower framerate, but totally ignore the fact that those versions have no screen tearing. Im not sure why Wii U gets Vsync while the others just tear frames, but they are both blemishes in performance. If Wii U is running 24fps with no tearing, and the 360 and PS3 are running 30fps with tons of tearing, pick your poison. Vsync those game on 360 and PS3 and watch those framerate plummet. I swear these developers actually tried to give what they felt was the lesser of two evils, but placed like Digital Foundry only only games accountable for framerate, and rarely is tearing held to the same standard.
A user on IGN told me that his experience with the Wii U version was smoother than his experience with the PS3 version. His name was Paladinrja or something like that.

Oh yeah, the Wii U version was also the only console version that ran at full HD too. The other versions were sub-HD.

Goodtwin

A user on IGN told me that his experience with the Wii U version was smoother than his experience with the PS3 version. His name was Paladinrja or something like that.

Oh yeah, the Wii U version was also the only console version that ran at full HD too. The other versions were sub-HD.

Yep, but in reviews you rarely heard anything other than the Wii U version runs at a lower framerate. Its kind of an afterthought. "The Wii U version runs at the lowest framrate." Small print, "The Wii U version runs full 720p with no screan tearing." LOL Resolution is king when making a PS4 vs X1 comparison, but on Wii U vs PS3/360 its of no consequence? Not to mention that screen tearing is at least as obtrusive as dropping a few frames, but rarely does the reviewer even mention screen tearing. I honestly believe that developers were trying to give Wii U owners the best experiences they could, but thanks to DF, they lead people to believe that 25fps is unplayable compared to 30fps with tons of tearing and a lower resolution. Crazy, but thats how it was and has been portrayed.

GaemzDood

Yep, but in reviews you rarely heard anything other than the Wii U version runs at a lower framerate. Its kind of an afterthought. "The Wii U version runs at the lowest framrate." Small print, "The Wii U version runs full 720p with no screan tearing." LOL Resolution is king when making a PS4 vs X1 comparison, but on Wii U vs PS3/360 its of no consequence? Not to mention that screen tearing is at least as obtrusive as dropping a few frames, but rarely does the reviewer even mention screen tearing. I honestly believe that developers were trying to give Wii U owners the best experiences they could, but thanks to DF, they lead people to believe that 25fps is unplayable compared to 30fps with tons of tearing and a lower resolution. Crazy, but thats how it was and has been portrayed.
I only read stuff about the Gamepad support.

Well, I own 2 Ubisoft games for my Wii U:
Assassin's Creed 3
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Assassin's Creed 3 is great fun! I'm nearing 100% synching as of now and I have a blast every time I play it. It's a shame that it doesn't have that extra awesome GamePad functionality but having the map there and being able to quickly touch to change weapons is more useful than people think.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is pretty fun, too. I wasn't into stealth games that much before I tried this game but now I am! For this game, there IS some interesting GamePad functionality and I appreciate that! The only bad thing here is the multiplayer, which is completely broken; I don't think I was able to play a single match when it had just come out, and right now I just completely gave up; haven't tried in a while.

It's also worth mentioning that I'll be getting Watch_Dogs when it finally comes out (hopefully still this year), since I think it has a really cool concept going for it. I'm at least hoping for some neat GamePad usage and for it to be on par technically with the other versions of the game (the PS3 and 360 versions, anyway).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I have Zombi U and Splinter Cell.

Zombi U was a great launch game. Beyond the slightly neat use of the gamepad, the game itself was a very welcome return to the survival horror missing from the latest installments of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill franchises. As a fan of survival horror games that hasn't been enchanted by the latest Silent Hill or Resident Evil games, nor by the any walking simulator horror games since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Zombi U was great.

Splinter Cell was also excellent. Somehow that game received much negativity from merely having similarity to Splinter Cell: Conviction, but in fact was a return to form for the Splinter Cell franchise, and a great stealth game on its own.

I want to play Child of Light, but haven't given myself time to get it and play it since it came out so close to Dark Souls 2 on PC. And I also want to play Assassin's Creed 4, but I have zero reason to get it on Wii U when I can just wait for a sale to get the superior PC version.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Have AC3, AC4, Child of Light and Splinter Cell.

Haven't beaten any of them yet. Problem of having too large a backlog to care.

praisegrima

Shoulder

THIS THIS THIS THIS! SO MUCH THIS!!!!

And to be quite honest with you, I'll notice screen tearing much sooner before I notice a slightly reduced framerate.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Own:
Child of Light
ZombiU
Rayman Legends

Sold:
AC3

Next up on my playlist is actually Child of Light. I've been working on getting through my retail backlog, and now that I'm caught up, I can get to my downloaded games, and this is first on my list.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Bought AC3 on launch day. Dearly wanted to love that game (my first modern "AAA" third party purchase), but I just wasn't feeling it. The boat tutorial felt like an excuse to get to the actual title screen, and the gameplay felt oddly disjointed and a touch too automated to me. But it was my first AC games, and I just may not be a fan of the series. It looked like it was about to really pick up at "Infiltrating Southgate," but then it went back to trying my patience.

Will probably buy AC4 sooner or later, to see if it fares any better.

Will definitely buy Child of Light soon.

Will probably buy Watch Dogs, depending on what it launches up against (if they keep delaying it so that it launches against something like Splatoon, then my money won't be going to Ubi).

Shoulder

Well, you can add Splinter Cell: Blacklist to my list of Ubisoft games. For 20 bucks, I figured it was worth it. I'll probably try some out later today if I get the chance.

Aki

No, not anymore. I sold them both since I beat them and really had no want to replay them. I used to own ACIII, ME3, and ZombiU.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
No but that's mostly because I just recently got a Wii-U. When I have more time and money and, if the games are on sale, I'll pick up Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed IV and Assassin's Creed III. I may even get Watch_Dogs but that I may just end up getting on the PS4

Have Rayman Legends and AC4

Rayman was my first pick up and I 100% cleared it. Godly game, got my gf into gaming .Lots of fun there.

AC4 was my first AC game and just stunning. I'm over 92% synchronization and just loved everything about this game.

Ubisoft and I were developing something close, intimate, blossoming. But looks like they don't feel the same way and are leaving us :(

Shoulder

Have Rayman Legends and AC4

Rayman was my first pick up and I 100% cleared it. Godly game, got my gf into gaming .Lots of fun there.

AC4 was my first AC game and just stunning. I'm over 92% synchronization and just loved everything about this game.

Ubisoft and I were developing something close, intimate, blossoming. But looks like they don't feel the same way and are leaving us :(

GaemzDood

I own a bunch of AAA Ubisoft games on other consoles, including the GameCube. They make some of the best big budget games out there.

Put this in the article.

ZombiU
Assassins Creed 3
Assassins Creed 4

I mean look at this piss poor collection...

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=wiiu#

Bought AC3 on launch day. Dearly wanted to love that game (my first modern "AAA" third party purchase), but I just wasn't feeling it. The boat tutorial felt like an excuse to get to the actual title screen, and the gameplay felt oddly disjointed and a touch too automated to me. But it was my first AC games, and I just may not be a fan of the series. It looked like it was about to really pick up at "Infiltrating Southgate," but then it went back to trying my patience.

Will probably buy AC4 sooner or later, to see if it fares any better.

Will definitely buy Child of Light soon.

Will probably buy Watch Dogs, depending on what it launches up against (if they keep delaying it so that it launches against something like Splatoon, then my money won't be going to Ubi).
I picked up AC4 on amazon for like $12, IMO it's way better than 3.

Last edited: