So in light of the Switch, have you thought about purging your library?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Alright guys, this is the stuff I've decided to drive up to GameStop as soon as I can. If there's anything on this picture that anyone here really wants for themselves, send me a PM before I get rid of it (probably tomorrow Wednesday). (Metroid Prime Hunters and Okamiden are both already taken.)

Trade-in.jpg

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Will be passing my Wii U down to my son....

If he can ever behave....
Also doin this.

@sjmartin79 So like I said I went thru my DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU library. I took pics of everything I wanted to sell. I sent that pic out to my friends who are gamers first he was my thinking. These guys know games and know gamin, they will more than likely buy my best games which is great. And what I have been telling them is "if you ever decide to get rid of these games give me first shot to buy them back". Sure enough that's exactly what happened, and I couldn't be happier because I know exactly where the important games I sold are physically at. For my friends I did 10$ WiiU games and 5-10$ Wii / 3DS games. I made right at 200 dollars with this method.

Now I had a haul still left. I got to really lookin at those games and really there the games that either someone was lookin for a very specific game, or for the most part all this was gonna be sitting on my shelf still. I came to the conclusion that I really didn't care where any of those games ended up at. So I loaded up 4 Walmart bags full of games, 2 guitar hero guitars, and a Wiifit board and headed my happy ass down to Gamestop where I had my Switch preordered.

I walk in and there like "OMG I gotta sort all these". And I'm like ":mgrin:". The gal starts goin thru all my DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU games and not one passes the register that I regret, I was really happy about that. It takes me around 30 min in the store.

At the end of everything getting my 10% customer credit and everything I ended up with 343 dollars at Gamestop! Well I was stoked because I didn't think it would even be close. I got my Switch paid off, got BotW paid off, and I ordered and paid off a Pro controller bundle with a LoZ Switch carrying case.

The chick then proceeds to tell me they don't accept the gutairs or WiiFit board...........so maybe I "accidentally" left them in front of the counter and walked outta the store a free man......

This experience did show me this tho. All those games were worth the price I paid for them intially no problems there. But once they went on the shelf and I never played them again they were literally worth nothing, not worth playing, not worth money anything. Now at the end of it all I feel like I got not only great worth outta everything, but I got to beat and enjoy those games at one time.

At the end of all this it turned out like this.

200 from games sold to friends.
343 from Gamestop
Switch / BotW / Pro controller bundle all paid in full.
And lookin at my library I kept the very best of it the games that have true potential for me to play again. And I kept all my GC games they were never up for grabs. :mgrin:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@mattavelle1 - Thanks for the advice Matt!
I think I'm going to purge my GameCube games and my Wii console.
Haven't decided about Wii games. When I went on the GameStop website, the list for trade in for some of them that I thought would be worth several bucks were $0.84. So I may hold on to those for a bit.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@mattavelle1 - Thanks for the advice Matt!
I think I'm going to purge my GameCube games and my Wii console.
Haven't decided about Wii games. When I went on the GameStop website, the list for trade in for some of them that I thought would be worth several bucks were $0.84. So I may hold on to those for a bit.
Exactly. The lesser games that o took to Gamestop for example Splinter Cell blacklist was only like 1$, and in my whole collect I had quite a few games like that...........but after awhile that change added up (I did have some games worth quit a bit tho).

Actually Nintendo is kinda like Toyota or Honda. They really really hold there resale value well.

sjmartin79

So I decided to try something, and I liked the end result. I checked out Amazon Trade In, and for half my GameCube collection, I got $350 in Amazon store credit. And they pay for shipping to them.

No, it's not cash, but I can use this for Switch games and accessories in the future - and by using Prime, when I preorder, I get the 20% discount.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So I decided to try something, and I liked the end result. I checked out Amazon Trade In, and for half my GameCube collection, I got $350 in Amazon store credit. And they pay for shipping to them.

No, it's not cash, but I can use this for Switch games and accessories in the future - and by using Prime, when I preorder, I get the 20% discount.
Yeah that's sweet Sjm! I also did store credit at GS. Pleased with the results would have been an understatement personally.

Odo

If I was looking to sell my Gamecube and Wii collection, do you guys have any suggestions on the best way to do it?
I've seen several places online like Decluttr and eStarland that do it.

I've always said I would just keep it, but I haven't played any of those games in years. And they are just sitting there taking up space.
Usually I trade them one by one. Ebay, Facebook, Instagram, you name it. I just show a picture, put a price tag and wait for someone to buy it.

Since 2016, it's been very hard to find buyers for Wii/DS games though.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I did it. I went to GameStop and got rid of 52 Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, DS, and GameCube games for a grand total of $160.71 in-store credit. The fact that it's in-store credit doesn't bother me at all, since I can buy Steam cards in there, and I imagine soon I'll be able to buy Nintendo online cards there as well, on top of getting more money than I would have gotten had I asked for cash instead.

Anyway, here's how much I got for every game I bought so you guys can get an idea of how much to expect for your own trade-ins at GameStop. A lot of these were absolute robbey, while the rest were only petty theft. I would have taken a picture but I decided to type this out while listening to music.

(Game - Trade-in Value in USD)

Xbox 360
:
Red Faction Guerrilla - 0.33
Deadly Premonition - 1.10
Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 2.20
Silent Hill: Downpour - 5.50
Dragon's Dogma - 0.83
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - 3.30
Fallout 3 - 1.65
Mass Effect - 3.30

Nintendo 3DS:
Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 5.50

Nintendo DS:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - 3.30
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - 3.30
Lock's Quest - 0.55
Lunar Knights - 2.20
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 15.40
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 15.40
Infinite Space - 13.20
Commando Steel Disaster - 1.10
Sonic Rush - 2.20
Suikoden Tierkreis - 8.80
Jam Sessions - 0.05
Korg DS-10 Plus - 3.30
Kingdom Hearts 1234123141 Days/2 Half Dog Days - 6.60
Henry Hatsworth - 0.55
Brain Age 1 - 0.22
Rune Factory 2 - 4.40
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - 3.30
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - 1.10
Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble - 1.10
Star Fox Command - 1.10

Nintendo Wii:
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - 3.30
Epic Mickey - 0.27
House of the Dead Overkill - 1.37
Overlord Dark Legends - 1.37
Munchables - 1.10
Cursed Mountain - 0.33
Godfather Blackhand Edition - 0.55
Madworld - 0.55
Rabbids Go Home - 2.47
De Blob - 0.03 (fuck you!)
Bully Scholarship Edition - 1.65
Trauma Center Second Opinion - 0.55
A Boy and his Blob - 3.30
No More Heroes 2 - 2.20
Conduit - 0.27
Conduit 2 - 1.65
COD: Modern Warfare Reflex - 2.20
COD: Black Ops - 5.50
COD: Modern Warfare 3 - 2.20
Medal of Honor Vanguard - 0.22

Nintendo GameCube:
Beyond Good and Evil - 5.50
Pikmin 2 (Player's Choice) - 21.50
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (3DS) - 8.80 (This was actually a mistake the cashier made that I didn't catch. I brought in the original version of Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube, not even the Player's Choice, so it should have been worth more money.)

TL;DR: Nintendo games give you the most money, while low and mid-budget games give you almost nothing back. Third party games give you back little in general, except for Japanese RPGs on Nintendo systems which give you back some decent money especially if they were of high quality to begin with.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
De Blob - 0.03

:D
It would have been more valuable to keep the cover art for use as toilet paper. I didn't want to tell the guy to let me see how much I was getting for each game so I could decide which ones to keep, since I was afraid he'd have to start ringing up the games from scratch which would have taken a long time.

sjmartin79

Okay, wanted to update everyone on my experiences with trading in old games - specifically GameCube games. I used Amazon and the website DKOldies. I looked between the two sites to see which had the best price for each game.

Amazon was easy. Use the Amazon app to scan the bar code on the back of the box, it will tell you the trade in value for the game. If you like it, add it to the trade in cart. When done, Amazon will send you a UPS shipping label. (It ships to the Amazon location in Hebron, KY., which is how I used to get 1 day shipping on 2 day orders when I was in Cincinnati.) From the time your box gets there, it is about 3-4 days before they put the gift card balance on your account.

With DKOldies, I sent them an email with the games I wanted to trade, listing prices from their site for games they had listed and asking for a quote on games they didn't. They responded via email within 24 hours. They'll give you two prices - cash and trade in value. With them, I went for cash. For trade in over $50, they'll send you a Fed Ex label. I sent it in to them, and within 48 hours of them receiving the games, the check was back out in the mail to me. I got it over the weekend, and deposited it. They were very friendly, answered any questions I had quickly. Would definitely recommend them to anyone that wanted to try. They only deal with games from the GameCube generation and earlier.

Neither place had great prices on Wii games (barring a select few titles), so I'm holding onto those for a few more years. Then I'll try again.

Edit:
$500 - between Amazon Credit and Cash

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'll say this and this thread will be laid to bed I'm sure.

I 100% made the right choice. After playing BotW I haven't even thought of any game before it.

I couldn't tell you 1 game I traded in because BotW makes me not care what they were.

Socar

To me, regardless of how old the games are, I'm too sentimental towards them. I know that someday I can play them for what they are or when I feel that I want to play an old game, I'd gladly do so. Games aren't meant to be played in one go unless you make them play that way. Games are a form of art to me.

There are lots of old games that I still play now and then and I'm happy that they are still fun to this day. I can never attempt to leave Phantom Hourglass behind and now that Switch is not backwards, I can't find a reason why to sell them.

To me....I'm right now scared because in India, no one wants to buy Nintendo products and I'm fine with that seeing how people here can barely afford cost of living. But I don't want them gone unless I'm in US where I can encourage myself to get rid of games that I can't play anymore due to them not working anymore....my GBA and GCN games.....

The other problem with old games is once you get rid of them and if you want to play them again, its nearly impossible to do so. Sure, many of my games are Mario's but getting a used Luigi's Mansion is going to be hard.

If I lose them, I will get devastated and it will take me a long time to heal that pain like how it did for my gamecube games not working anymore...still am sad about it. I'm fine without them when the time comes that I'm no more. That's just me though.

Aki

i sold my wii u, which i kinda regret now that i have to send my switch in for repairs. if i still had it, i would've just gone out and boughten zelda for it. i got $200 for the console alone, 32gb zelda, which was $50 less than i paid for it. plus, with my 2x pro controllers and smash bros, i got something in the ballpark of $270 for everything. it was too good of a deal to pass up considering that switch to me is so much more. i had most first party games on wii u and while i do want some of them to be ported over like wind waker hd, twilight princess hd, super smash bros and maybe new super mario u, i'm fine with not having access to them. luckily, all of my games aside from smash were digital, so all i need to do is buy another wii u and have access to the majority of my library.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Personally, I'm not the kind of person to really sell his games unless I can easily get the games online and just run them off of that, such as through Nintendont through the Wii for GameCube games or the various flash carts for the DS, or if I really don't care for the game and they end up being more of a one and done kind of deal. Once I can easily get Wii U ISO files booted onto my Wii U, I'll purge my library. Till then, the boxes will be taking up shelf space

Goodtwin

I'm 90% digital at this point, on PS3, WiiU, and 3DS. No regrets so far.

So I've got almost nothing to sell.
I'm going all digital with Switch. I typically regret selling games at some point after selling them, and that's why I have decided to keep my games since the Gamecube days. I'm not really into collecting though, so having tons of games sitting on shelves doesn't really interest me any longer. Its just clutter that I don't really need. So digital makes sense for me. I just hope Nintendo does us right with the Nintendo account system. I really don't want to buy NES games again for Switch. I can probably live with a $1-2 transfer fee, but paying full price for the same games I bought on Wii and Wii U is pretty bogus.

Aki

never gonna go completely digital unless i'm forced to like on pc, mac, and iphone. there's just too many uncertainties on psn and xbl for me to be willing to make that big of an invest. my biggest issue with those two services is that it's too easy to lose "your" content. your being in quotes because it's not actually yours. it's a license that you're "renting" and idc what anyone says, but if i pay full retail price for something, it's mine and i'm not going to not have access to it because the company that i bought it from no longer has access to it, isn't willing to cooperate w/ me in trying to get my hacked account back, or is willing to ban me and my console because of vulgar / racially sensitive / political / personal opinions*. then you have nintendo who still can't get basic online features figured out like cloud storage and an universal account system not tied to hardware. plus, i like having physical cases and i don't mind downloading dlc and eshop like titles.

*this has never happened to me, but i have read verified accounts of it happening.

Odo

never gonna go completely digital unless i'm forced to like on pc, mac, and iphone. there's just too many uncertainties on psn and xbl for me to be willing to make that big of an invest. my biggest issue with those two services is that it's too easy to lose "your" content. your being in quotes because it's not actually yours. it's a license that you're "renting" and idc what anyone says, but if i pay full retail price for something, it's mine and i'm not going to not have access to it because the company that i bought it from no longer has access to it, isn't willing to cooperate w/ me in trying to get my hacked account back, or is willing to ban me and my console because of vulgar / racially sensitive / political / personal opinions*. then you have nintendo who still can't get basic online features figured out like cloud storage and an universal account system not tied to hardware. plus, i like having physical cases and i don't mind downloading dlc and eshop like titles.

*this has never happened to me, but i have read verified accounts of it happening.
For me, it's getting more and more difficult to keep games running for ever.

A PS4 usually has tons of updates. It's hard to see a gamer want to play a PS4 physical copy in 20 years expecting it to play. Even you find a PS4 that is still working. There'll be no servers running and no updates to download. In the end, I believe most games from PS3 era will not play in the future, even if you have the copy and the console running.

Physical copies are turning into a key to download the actual game anyway.

Aki

For me, it's getting more and more difficult to keep games running for ever.

A PS4 usually has tons of updates. It's hard to see a gamer want to play a PS4 physical copy in 20 years expecting it to play. Even you find a PS4 that is still working. There'll be no servers running and no updates to download. In the end, I believe most games from PS3 era will not play in the future, even if you have the copy and the console running.

Physical copies are turning into a key to download the actual game anyway.
not true, ps4 games install off of the disc onto the hard drive and you can play any game on ps4 without updating it. i'm not sure what ps4 os updates have to do with the functionality of the game. if a game does need a certain firmware to play it, you can be sure that it's on the disc with it like it was on ps3. they didn't make the console online only. they know people will use it offline.

Odo

not true, ps4 games install off of the disc onto the hard drive and you can play any game on ps4 without updating it. i'm not sure what ps4 os updates have to do with the functionality of the game. if a game does need a certain firmware to play it, you can be sure that it's on the disc with it like it was on ps3. they didn't make the console online only. they know people will use it offline.
Sorry, I meant game updates. Games are released almost broken. They need updates.

Odo

Do you believe that you will be able to turn a PS4 on in 2040 and successfully play Mass Effect Andromeda on it as you play Mario on a NES today?

I find it hard to believe, but if you guarantee that it'd work out without any issues, I'm ok with it.

For me physical copies are good to resale and collecting, but for gaming itself I personally don't need them any more.

sjmartin79

Do you believe that you will be able to turn a PS4 on in 2040 and successfully play Mass Effect Andromeda on it as you play Mario on a NES today?

I find it hard to believe, but if you guarantee that it'd work out without any issues, I'm ok with it.

For me physical copies are good to resale and collecting, but for gaming itself I personally don't need them any more.
I went almost all digital with the Wii U and I loved it.
But with the Switch, if there is physical, I'm going physical. Since Steve2 has one as well, this way we can share games we don't need two copies of. Since he finished BotW (we had a copy for each of us) before I have, he played my copy of Binding of Isaac.

With the Switch, I can see an argument for all digital or all physical.

Odo

I went almost all digital with the Wii U and I loved it.
But with the Switch, if there is physical, I'm going physical. Since Steve2 has one as well, this way we can share games we don't need two copies of. Since he finished BotW (we had a copy for each of us) before I have, he played my copy of Binding of Isaac.

With the Switch, I can see an argument for all digital or all physical.
Ow yeah, I forgot that.

One of the features that I love on Apple is the family account. You can share content that you paid once among the people you want to share. Handheld consoles need this.

sjmartin79

Ow yeah, I forgot that.

One of the features that I love on Apple is the family account. You can share content that you paid once among the people you want to share. Handheld consoles need this.
I would only agree with this if there was something in place that said both people can't be using the software at the same time. I would feel like I was stealing from Nintendo if I downloaded it digitally, shared it with Steve2, and we were both playing the family account purchase of BotW at the same time.

Odo

I would only agree with this if there was something in place that said both people can't be using the software at the same time. I would feel like I was stealing from Nintendo if I downloaded it digitally, shared it with Steve2, and we were both playing the family account purchase of BotW at the same time.
Apple let me do that and I don't feel that I'm stealing from Apple. I'd invest even more on Nintendo if they provide this feature.

sjmartin79

Apple let me do that and I don't feel that I'm stealing from Apple. I'd invest even more on Nintendo if they provide this feature.
Which games/apps were those? Some games have a shared save file on your iPhone and iPad so that whatever one you pick up, it would have your play daya from the other when you log in. That method would not be beneficial for family sharing in terms of games.

Now if you can play the game on an iPad and iPhone and it is a different save file on each, I can see where family sharing would be beneficial, but when we're talking about a $60 game with two people playing one copy at the same time, that is where I have an issue.

Like with a physical copy, when you are done, you can loan it/give it to someone else. I don't have an issue with that.

I know it sounds like a small distinction, but I see being able to share digital copies so that multiple people can play the same game at the same time with different save files is a very slippery slope, and it wouldn't be long before someone found a way to exploit it further.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Steam does have a family feature that lets you share games with other computers and accounts, but it works like SJM said where it doesn't let any two of you play games at the same time. Like if I'm sharing games with SJM, either he's using any game in the whole account, or I am, we can't even be playing two different games at the same time.

Odo

Which games/apps were those? Some games have a shared save file on your iPhone and iPad so that whatever one you pick up, it would have your play daya from the other when you log in. That method would not be beneficial for family sharing in terms of games.

Now if you can play the game on an iPad and iPhone and it is a different save file on each, I can see where family sharing would be beneficial, but when we're talking about a $60 game with two people playing one copy at the same time, that is where I have an issue.

Like with a physical copy, when you are done, you can loan it/give it to someone else. I don't have an issue with that.

I know it sounds like a small distinction, but I see being able to share digital copies so that multiple people can play the same game at the same time with different save files is a very slippery slope, and it wouldn't be long before someone found a way to exploit it further.
Any purchase
https://www.apple.com/lae/icloud/family-sharing/

GaemzDood

I sold my 3DS I got for $400 for $130 and spent all of the money because I was manic. If anyone wants more context, PM me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Times are tighter on people financially wise. I've never in my life been a advocate to selling your games to Gamestop. The Switch honestly seems like a real clean break away from all there other consoles. No backwards compatibility, also no backward compatibility for 3DS either. Also tho I love my WiiU and I thought that backwards compatibility was important at launch. I've learned that rarely if ever do I ever go back and play old games. Maybe your the same I would like to hear your thought.

Is now as good a time as any to clean up all the games that will not be able to be used anymore in the future?
this is why i like xbox live so much. they give you two free 360 games each month which leads to a huge digital library of last gen games after a while. Nintendo could have had something amazing if they didn't fuck up the VC concept so badly. pure greed.

Goodtwin

this is why i like xbox live so much. they give you two free 360 games each month which leads to a huge digital library of last gen games after a while. Nintendo could have had something amazing if they didn't fuck up the VC concept so badly. pure greed.
Its simple economics, Nintendo's legacy titles still sell. Why aren't those free Xbox Live games recent titles? Greed? They offer titles to help make their $60 online service for attractive, but lets be real here, they are giving away titles that no longer sell very well. Most of the games they give away could probably be found in bargain bins for $20 or less. I'm not dogging them, it is a nice perk they offer, but its there to help sell you on paying $60 to play online. Nintendo is taking legacy NES and probably SNES titles and making them available for subscribers. Its the same concept, its there to appease the consumer for charging for a service that was previously free.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Its simple economics, Nintendo's legacy titles still sell. Why aren't those free Xbox Live games recent titles? Greed? They offer titles to help make their $60 online service for attractive, but lets be real here, they are giving away titles that no longer sell very well. Most of the games they give away could probably be found in bargain bins for $20 or less. I'm not dogging them, it is a nice perk they offer, but its there to help sell you on paying $60 to play online. Nintendo is taking legacy NES and probably SNES titles and making them available for subscribers. Its the same concept, its there to appease the consumer for charging for a service that was previously free.
i get games that i probably wouldn't get to play otherwise, and that's a good thing. many of the games with gold are recent titles, and they're ALL more recent than anything on VC. XBL is an outstanding service...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games