So NoA does have localization control...

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
An interesting little tidbit I stumbled across on Nintendolife.

It seems to suggest that the Nintendo Treehouse of Nintendo of America is largely (or perhaps "ultimately" - in the sense that it is the last line of localization if Nintendo of Japan doesn't send it down the pipe?) responsible for what does get localized.

This was a controversial point during the operation rainfall campaign, with some fans trying to deflect blame off of NoA and onto Japan, and others suggesting it's very possible that NoA does have the autonomy to have made a decision on localization itself.

With Nintendo being so secretive, little snippets of insight into its actual distribution of powers and internal workings are about the best we can hope for. But it looks like NoA could have localized the op rainfall trilogy from the get go had it wanted to.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Fixed the source, it wasn't displaying properly.
So NoA actually gets to pick which games to localize, but NCL can send games down the pipe that will be forcefully localized regardless of what NoA thinks? I'm not clear on whether this is the case or whether it just falls entirely on NoA's hands.
Either way, awful show NoA for not wanting to bring the opRainfall trinity earlier. All 3 are brilliant games, and the Wii brand would be worth much less for people like me without those games.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Fixed the source, it wasn't displaying properly.
So NoA actually gets to pick which games to localize, but NCL can send games down the pipe that will be forcefully localized regardless of what NoA thinks? I'm not clear on whether this is the case or whether it just falls entirely on NoA's hands.
Either way, awful show NoA for not wanting to bring the opRainfall trinity earlier. All 3 are brilliant games, and the Wii brand would be worth much less for people like me without those games.
Thanks for the fix!

I wasn't clear either, but for the purposes we would mostly be concerned with it doesn't look like it matters either way. The question has always been whether NoA has the authority to localize content (whether that is in addition to content that may or may not be mandated is irrelevant). It appears they do.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
What perplexes me is they do the localization for the PAL markets too, so why would they only release something like Disaster Day in Pal Regions?
they didn't localize those 3 (oprainfall games) for europe.. europe did those on their own.. I think it very well might have been the first time they did... as for disaster... the japanese game was in english.. so only the menus were translated.. I can see NoE having done that

I realy hope NoA rethinks their localization policies.. they should really create a secondary localization group.. 1 designed to be cheap and efficient.... push games they deem unworthy of localization to that team and release them on the e-shop... I am sure it would be more profitable than doing NOTHING... I am sure they could put together a small team for the task at very little expense.. perhaps it means leaving the VA in japanese, perhaps it means prioritizing translation over adaptation.... if a fansub group made up of 3 or 4 people can translate, subtitle, encode, and release an episode of an anime (about 20 minutes) in less than a day (a frequent occurrence) for no money at all with most of them beign full time students.. often with aprt time jobs as well... then I am sure nintendo could put together a business mdoel that lets them release pretty much EVERYTHING they make pretty much EVERYWHERE while still being profitable.... in the case in which a game is already localized for another english speaking country, all they would really have to do is submit it to the esrb... I am sure even if they only sold 1000 units that would still be profitable for them to do

when you have as little 3rd party support as nintendo you cannot be so f'n picky with what you put out... when fans are complaining about droughts.. putting out pretty much ANYTHING is a good idea