Sony can't figure out why the PS4 is selling so well

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Via an interview with Eurogamer.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...itas-no-show-and-the-mystery-of-10m-ps4-sales
=================================

I agree, but I don't think that explains the speed of (PS4) sales.

Shuhei Yoshida: Yeah. Actually I'm asking journalists who ask that question their opinion.

I don't know. I was hoping you would know.

Shuhei Yoshida: I'm asking marketing people to tell us why. They've been to people who already purchased, and some of the early data was amazing in terms of the number of people who didn't used to own PS3 have already purchased PS4. So we are getting lots of new customers coming into PlayStation. And some people never purchased any last-gen hardware: PS3, or Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. So where did they come from?

Why buy now then?

Shuhei Yoshida: Well, yeah. I don't know.

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
steady stream of releases, lots of interesting games announced for next few months and futher out, cool 1st party franchises, great price point, slick marketing campaigns. sounds like a recipe for success if you ask me. instead of saying "i don't know" he could have just listed the things they've done since the reveal. because that's why it's been a success, isn't it?

EvilTw1n

steady stream of releases, lots of interesting games announced for next few months and futher out, cool 1st party franchises, great price point, slick marketing campaigns. sounds like a recipe for success if you ask me. instead of saying "i don't know" he could have just listed the things they've done since the reveal. because that's why it's been a success, isn't it?
The price and the marketing are the big ones, I think. Because I can't look at the PS4 and say "yeah, there's the one killer app that's driving everyone crazy," and nor can I look at it and say "well there's the huge hardware hook that will get attention."

They just hit the sweet spot.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
The price and the marketing are the big ones, I think. Because I can't look at the PS4 and say "yeah, there's the one killer app that's driving everyone crazy," and nor can I look at it and say "well there's the huge hardware hook that will get attention."

They just hit the sweet spot.
there hasn't been a game to make me get one yet, but when i do i'll definitely be picking up killzone, infamous, madden and nba2k. i think witcher 3 will be the game to put me over the edge.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm kinda with him because outside of what I have seen at e3 I don't have a clue what Sony if offering. Nobody around here talks about PS4, and there games I mean for me and what I have seen are nothing to get all giddy about.

I don't know how any of the big 3 are still in business to be perfectly honest lol. This gen has started off with very little buzz and a whole lot of suck outside of a few games my opinion. And I ain't even hating I feel the guy on all this.

EvilTw1n

there hasn't been a game to make me get one yet, but when i do i'll definitely be picking up killzone, infamous, madden and nba2k. i think witcher 3 will be the game to put me over the edge.
See, that's what is so surprising. There isn't any game that screams "must buy now." In that Eurogamer interview, they even mention how The Last of Us is doing so well on PS4. The hardware is a huge success, but it's almost in spite of the software lineup.
Sounds like a good problem to have. "I keep waking up in a pile of Jessica Alba. Wish I knew why."
Fixed.
If Silent Hills is not available on PS3, and if Ubisoft ever releases Beyond Good and Evil 2 (again not on PS3). Then I'll probably jump on board.

Okami 3 on PS4 would be an instant buy.
And now we reach the part of the thread where I mention The Last Guardian, having avoided talking about the last part of that interview...

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
See, that's what is so surprising. There isn't any game that screams "must buy now." In that Eurogamer interview, they even mention how The Last of Us is doing so well on PS4. The hardware is a huge success, but it's almost in spite of the software lineup.
well if i didn't have a ps3, wii u, 360, pc and vita, i'd have probably bought a ps4/xb1/3ds by now. he did mention how lots of ps4 buyers didn't buy into last gen. so that's an interesting angle to look at it from, as well.

i think ps4 already has enough titles to justify a purchase, personally. i've been saying that same thing about wii u for 18 months now.

Goodtwin

Perhaps Sony a sexy product on their hands, and doesnt rely so much on killer software to sell it. Normally hardware is a necessary evil, but perhaps Sony has marketed the PS4 so brilliantly, that people really want the hardware itself. I really think the long life cycle of the PS3 and 360 created a hunger from that core audience for new hardware. Even if they were only going to get prettier versions of the same games they play every year, they were ready for new hardware. Sony is simply grasping a bigger chunk of the market this time. Nintendo is still on the outside doing their own thing, and this time Microsoft didnt have a head start, a price advantage, or hardware that was seeming more capable (PS3 may be more powerful, but the 360 was easier to develop for and had better multi plats most of the time). Honestly, I think this goes to show that gamers are willing to buy new hardware for more of the same, and perhaps being early with new hardware could be very favorable going into the next gen.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
i think ps4 already has enough titles to justify a purchase, personally. i've been saying that same thing about wii u for 18 months now.
I really think this is a goddamn mystery, though, because all those people looking at the PS4's software lineup and saying "it justifies a purchase already" never seemed to say the same thing for the Wii U.

I don't want to put so much weight into the idea of the Wii U starting off with public opinion and the media stacked against it (though I do think it did to some small extent, largely thanks to the stupid name, lack of marketing, and the fact that Nintendo doesn't play ball with any publication), so I do think that if Nintendo had held off the system one more year and used that time to decrease the performance gap between it and the PS4 and Xbone, and to get their marketing and first party software lineup together, that the Wii U could have sold gangbusters the way the PS4 is - and Nintendo would be the one saying "we don't know why so many people are buying the system".

I just think Sony did this launch right in all the ways Nintendo failed. Their system is conveniently and clearly named, retaining its brand appeal and clearly indicating that it is a new, more powerful system; they launched the system right when people were most tired of the last generation; they sold it at the right price point; they made a mockery of Microsoft's poorly conceived and widely hated DRM systems; and they generally have been sweetening up (or fattening) pretty much all gamers with the incredibly disingenuous "this one's for the gamers" marketing campaign, which gamers all over seem to be lapping right up.

So Sony basically got their shit together and put together a really well crafted business plan, given that their backs were sort of against the wall with the whole nearly going bankrupt thing. And it paid off handsomely.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I really think this is a goddamn mystery, though, because all those people looking at the PS4's software lineup and saying "it justifies a purchase already" never seemed to say the same thing for the Wii U.
problem is that people weren't talking about or understanding the wii u at all. how many people are gonna say wii u has enough games when they don't even understand that it's a new console?

EvilTw1n

Apparently The Last of Us was tops in July NPD. That's the roll that Sony is on right now. They touch an HD remaster of a year-old game and it turns to gold.

When the PS2 was going bonanza, everyone could point to GTA 3, its incredible library, and it doubling as a cheap DVD player.

When the Wii hit big, everyone could point to motion controls.

With the PS4, not even Sony knows how it's happening. It's pretty amazing.
problem is that people weren't talking about or understanding the wii u at all. how many people are gonna say wii u has enough games when they don't even understand that it's a new console?
That's true. I suppose you can argue (successfully) that the Wii U had an iffy first impression, and first impressions matter a lot. An iffy first impression combined with a non-existent PR campaign made it even worse.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
An excellent first impression and the other two stumbled out of the gate with their next-gen home consoles. Not to mention, it has a good future in store for it and a very good price point. It's not the games the PS4 has now that's selling it. It's the games that the PS4 will have in the future alongside everything else Sony did right with it, which is mostly everything of great importance

Of course they know.

By creating a console traditional gamers want and painting this picture that the PS4 is a return to the glory days of gaming, you're going to get a lot of people excited. After last generation, they know damn well people want a return to the PSX and PS2 era so why not market the PS4 that way?

Odo

I don't want to put so much weight into the idea of the Wii U starting off with public opinion and the media stacked against it (though I do think it did to some small extent, largely thanks to the stupid name, lack of marketing, and the fact that Nintendo doesn't play ball with any publication), so I do think that if Nintendo had held off the system one more year and used that time to decrease the performance gap between it and the PS4 and Xbone, and to get their marketing and first party software lineup together, that the Wii U could have sold gangbusters the way the PS4 is - and Nintendo would be the one saying "we don't know why so many people are buying the system".

I just think Sony did this launch right in all the ways Nintendo failed. Their system is conveniently and clearly named, retaining its brand appeal and clearly indicating that it is a new, more powerful system; they launched the system right when people were most tired of the last generation; they sold it at the right price point; they made a mockery of Microsoft's poorly conceived and widely hated DRM systems; and they generally have been sweetening up (or fattening) pretty much all gamers with the incredibly disingenuous "this one's for the gamers" marketing campaign, which gamers all over seem to be lapping right up.

So Sony basically got their shit together and put together a really well crafted business plan, given that their backs were sort of against the wall with the whole nearly going bankrupt thing. And it paid off handsomely.

Exactly. Releasing Wii U one year later would've been a great fix for Wii U situation.

Wii U was released when Wii wasn't really dead (there were very good titles from Wii's last years to play and we know that Nintendo gamers enjoy completing their games), Wii U didn't have enough games to make people move from Wii (Wii had a new motion control Zelda while Wii U had Mario 2D), Nintendo failed to deliver new games for Wii U (instead of big titles, they released Pikamin, Wonderful 101, Wario, etc), it seems to me that Nintendo didn't know how to develop in HD so they used small titles to test Wii U out.

Marketing was a big problem as well. They named it poorly and didn't help people understand that Wii U was a next generation console. Also, on the hot season of 2013 Xmas and in January 2014, the first game from Retro was just a DKC sequel while Zelda WW and Mario 3D World had to compete with Pokemon X/Y and Zelda ALBW (it's like Nintendo doesn't know how share of wallet works).

So, I'd say that Wii U was released on May 2014. The next generation Nintendo console was released with Mario Kart 8.

Too late.

Why is PS4 selling? I believe PS3 owners are changing to PS4.

On the other hand most Wii owners, until 2014, had no reason to change. They were getting through their last Wii titles like Zelda SS, playing their great 3DS games and getting fit with their perfect Wii Fit Plus.

By the way, this September, FIFA 15 will hit 3DS and Wii (not Wii U, in fact, EA might ask: "What's Wii U?")

EvilTw1n

Of course they know.

By creating a console traditional gamers want and painting this picture that the PS4 is a return to the glory days of gaming, you're going to get a lot of people excited. After last generation, they know damn well people want a return to the PSX and PS2 era so why not market the PS4 that way?
Still, that's an incredible victory for marketing, and marketing alone. No killer app. No real hardware novelty. Nothing. Just a great marketing campaign (and there are plenty of products that don't catch on, despite good marketing). FWIW, I never once looked at Sony's marketing and thought "yeah, just like the PS2 all over again."
Why is PS4 selling? I believe PS3 owners are changing to PS4.
According to Sony, that's not the whole story.

Yoshida: "I'm asking marketing people to tell us why. They've been to people who already purchased, and some of the early data was amazing in terms of the number of people who didn't used to own PS3 have already purchased PS4. So we are getting lots of new customers coming into PlayStation. And some people never purchased any last-gen hardware: PS3, or Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. So where did they come from?"

Ex-Actarus

The PS4 is selling well for 1 simple reason :

THE GAMERS FELT - FROM THE REVEAL - THAT THIS CONSOLE WAS DESIGNED FOR THEM !!!

That's where BOTH the Wii U and Xbone failed from the scratch :

- The Wii U had a poor communication and around the gamepad. Besides the Wii U seemed to be mainly marketed toward casual gamers initially even if they had long left the videogames scene for the IOS and Androids platforms.

- The Xbone had the Kinect and ALL that entertainment message, that was NOT appealing at all for gamers. Not to mention a terrible price point and the whole no used games/always online fiasco.

So if you combine the INCREDIBLE and smooth introduction of the PS4 from Sony "PLUS" the NUMEROUS mistakes from Nintendo and Microsoft, then you have the PS4 success.

However...

Let's not forget that in Japan, that's a different story... The PS4 is selling at Dreamcast levels over there for now ( this probably more related to the videogames crisis in Japan )... Just for the record !

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

No the wii U was being marketed at core gamers from the first day, Nintendo was mainly aiming to hit a widestream market like they did with the Wii and made commercials targeted as such lol

There's no video game crisis in japan either.
There's just not enough content to serve the core community on consoles

Ex-Actarus

No the wii U was being marketed at core gamers from the first day, Nintendo was mainly aiming to hit a widestream market like they did with the Wii and made commercials targeted as such lol

There's no video game crisis in japan either.
There's just not enough content to serve the core community on consoles
No the Wii U wasn't pushed toward core gamers. That's why core game were VERY disappointed by the Wii U reveal. A finale with Nintendoland is NOT REALLY hardcore...

And YES, there is a videogame crisis is Japan. videogames sales have been on the decline since the PS2 era. And the state of home consoles have never been this dire...

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
On the other hand....

The electronics empire [SONY] initially forecast a $466 million net loss by the end of the current financial year, but has now informed investors that the projected loss has been revised to $2.14 billion.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-warns-investors-of-grim-2-1bn-loss/1100-6422367/

I don't necessarily disagree with that Rich is saying either. When I first heard about this earlier this morning, my first thought was maybe Sony should sell off their other divisions and go strictly video games. It's become clear that their games division is hugely profitable, but everything else (ok, maybe not everything) takes away that profit, and it turns into huge losses. I'm actually surprised their smartphone division hasn't done too well, but perhaps it's all due to branding and watnot, or simply bad timing on their part. But Sony also has their AV divisions, as well as their camera divisions. Their Sony NEX cameras are very good cameras, and their A7 series as well.

Sony still makes very good products, but when it comes to TVs, sound systems, and smartphones, Samsung I think has them beat in price and overall quality. That's not to say Sony is bad, but when you think about where both Sony and Samsung are, Samsung I think has more of a future right now in the electronics department compared to Sony.

I think Sony could easily sell off their smartphone division, and other unnecessary reas, and put more resources towards their gaming and film production divisions.

That's my controversial gaming opinion of the day. *tips hat* Good day, everyone.

Goodtwin

Sony is shrinking quickly. Yes, they have tons of assets and could sell them to offset these huge losses, but at some point it seems likely Sony will be just as reliant on video games for their revenue as Nintendo is. The problem for Sony is I dont really know just how profitable the division really is.

GaemzDood

The Order: 1886, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Silent Hills, Let It Die, Without Memory, Shadow of the Beast, Infamous: Second Son & First Light, Killzone: Shadow Fall (lol haters), Everybody's Gone to Rapture, Disgaea 5, Alienation, & the best multiplat support out of every current generation console.

Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I don't necessarily disagree with that Rich is saying either. When I first heard about this earlier this morning, my first thought was maybe Sony should sell off their other divisions and go strictly video games. It's become clear that their games division is hugely profitable, but everything else (ok, maybe not everything) takes away that profit, and it turns into huge losses. I'm actually surprised their smartphone division hasn't done too well, but perhaps it's all due to branding and watnot, or simply bad timing on their part. But Sony also has their AV divisions, as well as their camera divisions. Their Sony NEX cameras are very good cameras, and their A7 series as well.

Sony still makes very good products, but when it comes to TVs, sound systems, and smartphones, Samsung I think has them beat in price and overall quality. That's not to say Sony is bad, but when you think about where both Sony and Samsung are, Samsung I think has more of a future right now in the electronics department compared to Sony.

I think Sony could easily sell off their smartphone division, and other unnecessary reas, and put more resources towards their gaming and film production divisions.

That's my controversial gaming opinion of the day. *tips hat* Good day, everyone.
Sony isnt making any money off Playstation. Games and Mobiles are Sony's biggest money sinks right now.

This is a good example of what sony really needs to do.

Fr the life of me I cant understand why they havent dropped the bulk of their low to mid range phones and just focused on the Xperia line (they really only need to offer 3 top of the line phones, cut down on the extra fluff)

Either way Sony keeps on losing money and cycling through presidents. They really need to sit down and focus on downsizing quickly but slowly enough so that they dont get screwed over by japanese labor laws.

They finally spun off the TV division and its actually started to make money now. Being its own entity lol. Unlike the vast majority of their other properties. Its literally just insurance, semiconductors, blu-ray and music/camera keeping them in business. Gaming and Mobile are their lowest areas of profit
Sony Pictures is also doing VERY badly right now.

Sony has cycled through presidents every 5 years for the last 2o years. It's not doing them any good.

Sony makes great hardware, but in terms of software? It's always been spotty for them.

Ex-Actarus

The PS4 is actually Sony's savior !
If the incredible sales of the PS4 after Destiny are any indication of what is going to happen these holidays... Then let's fasten our seatbelts folks !

I mean to sell nearly 500 K consoles worldwide, in week, in September, is pretty impressive !

The success of the Ps4 will definitely help Sony Corp dire situation overall. But in Kaz we trust :)

Source : http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/18/us-sony-playstation-idUKKBN0HD0I820140918

Ex-Actarus

Are you smoking something?

Gaming isnt making Sony money XD
Sony says yes. So ask them if they are smoking...

And I quote :

"We raised our profit prediction and I hope that's a trend we can continue, even within this fiscal year," House told Reuters in an interview on Thursday, adding his unit's profits looked certain to increase next year from this year's levels.

Source : http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/09/18/sony-hopes-for-playstation-profit-boost/

Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Yeah sony's on some shit.

Their mobiles are doing poorly, they're breaking even on playstation ( meanwhile finding more ways to pull out revenue with it) their pictures division are in a constant cycle of bust bust bust spiderman bust boom bust, they spun off their TV division, sold off their PC division and they're still making some money of camera's, semi conductors, and insurance.

EvilTw1n

Hmm. Apparently Sony is forecasting an overall loss for 2014, but gaming is the bright spot - the PS4 looks to be selling at a profit-per-console already.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/23/sony-hirai-ps4-profit/

There probably wasn't a ton of R&D to recoup this time (no exotic CPU or the like), so I wouldn't be surprised if the PlayStation division pulls a profit (while the whole company does not).

Shoulder

Hmm. Apparently Sony is forecasting an overall loss for 2014, but gaming is the bright spot - the PS4 looks to be selling at a profit-per-console already.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/23/sony-hirai-ps4-profit/

There probably wasn't a ton of R&D to recoup this time (no exotic CPU or the like), so I wouldn't be surprised if the PlayStation division pulls a profit (while the whole company does not).
Well, unlike the PS3 or the Wii U, the PS4 is mostly over-the-shelf parts. I'd say the only big custom part would be the GDDR5 ram, but the CPU and GPU are mostly stock components that I'm aware of. So it's not that surprising it's turning a profit.

EvilTw1n

Well, unlike the PS3 or the Wii U, the PS4 is mostly over-the-shelf parts. I'd say the only big custom part would be the GDDR5 ram, but the CPU and GPU are mostly stock components that I'm aware of. So it's not that surprising it's turning a profit.
Also not surprising it's not fulfilling the "OMG it'll have games at launch that look like the Infiltrator demo"-sort of nonsense. Being a closed ecosystem means devs will squeeze a bit more out of the PS4 over time, but the GPU just ain't that exotic (also interesting that tech sites were having an "oh yeah, I get it" moment when they saw the PS4's architecture, since they had already seen this type of setup). But it's probably the smartest thing Sony's gaming division has done in a long, long time. It's a relatively cheap, but long-term viable solution. That was a crucial target to hit after the PS3's losses, and they seem to have nailed it.

If they play their cards right, Sony is going to make a lot of money off of this thing, even if it doesn't do PS2 numbers.

Ex-Actarus

Even if the PS4 is doing great, Sony will have to do some something with the other divisions.

I mean the mobile products are just not successful. Unless they come out with a killer ap, I don't see them competing against Samsung or Apple, or even LG or HTC for that matter...

Shoulder

Also not surprising it's not fulfilling the "OMG it'll have games at launch that look like the Infiltrator demo"-sort of nonsense. Being a closed ecosystem means devs will squeeze a bit more out of the PS4 over time, but the GPU just ain't that exotic (also interesting that tech sites were having an "oh yeah, I get it" moment when they saw the PS4's architecture, since they had already seen this type of setup). But it's probably the smartest thing Sony's gaming division has done in a long, long time. It's a relatively cheap, but long-term viable solution. That was a crucial target to hit after the PS3's losses, and they seem to have nailed it.

If they play their cards right, Sony is going to make a lot of money off of this thing, even if it doesn't do PS2 numbers.
I'm going to say this right now: The PS4 will be Sony's most profitable console ever.

Shoulder

I am not as optimistic about the PS4's success considering the past systems it will be compared to, however the PS4 is definitely going to turn a far larger profit than the PS3.
The PS1, PS2, and PS3 I believe in the end never went in the black, even when the systems were turning profits because the losses could not be recouped in the end. The PS3 I think was getting there, and I'd definitely have to check out the financials (if they exist anywhere), but even if they ended up turning a profit in the end, I don't believe it'd been much.

Ex-Actarus

The PS1, PS2, and PS3 I believe in the end never went in the black, even when the systems were turning profits because the losses could not be recouped in the end. The PS3 I think was getting there, and I'd definitely have to check out the financials (if they exist anywhere), but even if they ended up turning a profit in the end, I don't believe it'd been much.
The PS4 production cost was around 381$ last year. That's pretty good if you compare that with Sony track record. So that means that Sony definitely make profits on hardware this time.

Source : http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/19/ps4-costs-381-to-make-according-to-hardware-teardown/

Shoulder

The PS4 production cost was around 381$ last year. That's pretty good if you compare that with Sony track record. So that means that Sony definitely make profits on hardware this time.

Source : http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/19/ps4-costs-381-to-make-according-to-hardware-teardown/
Yup, I remember reading that during launch time. If Sony keeps that up, Sony will have no issue recouping costs. In fact, if the PS4 is successful enough, it could potentially recoup all their past losses from previous consoles. If you remember, Sony is still in the red overall with their games division, and has never actually made money, similar to Microsoft with the Xbox.

Ex-Actarus

Yup, I remember reading that during launch time. If Sony keeps that up, Sony will have no issue recouping costs. In fact, if the PS4 is successful enough, it could potentially recoup all their past losses from previous consoles. If you remember, Sony is still in the red overall with their games division, and has never actually made money, similar to Microsoft with the Xbox.
That's crazy to think that this time around Sony is - maybe - making money on the hardware, while Nintendo is losing money on it.
#really?

EvilTw1n

The PS2 was priced ultra-aggressively, but it wasn't sold at anything close to the loss that the PS3 was (early on it was basically losing the retail price of a Wii for every PS3 sold).

"According to DFC intelligence figures cited by Dave Perry, Sony has lost more money on the PlayStation 3 hardware than it made on the PlayStation 2 during its five most popular years. In pure numbers speak it's lost $3 billion on the PS3, which is about equivalent to everything it made selling PS2s during its peak years."
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/19/the-sony-reciprocal-ps3-losses-surpass-ps2-profits/

Let that sink in for a moment. That news was penned in '08, only two years after the PS3's release. In two years, the PS3 didn't just take losses, but it took losses so heavily that it pretty well wiped out half a decade's worth of sales from the most popular home console in history.

Before the PS3 could even start getting into the black for itself, it had to replenish the bank it broke from the PS2 years. No matter how wonderful its gaming library, the PS3 was a financial disaster. If that sort of loss happens at any business that isn't a multinational conglomerate, it's a business ender*. Game over.

All the more astonishing for how Sony has rebounded with the PS4. I don't think many people understand just how remarkable the job is that Sony has done here.

Everything they did wrong before, they're doing right at present. Every target (pricing, processing power, marketing, manufacturing, profitability) they needed to hit with the PS4, they've hit out of the damn park.

Sony crushed this.

[*Also a point to bring up to anyone saying "Iwata should be fired!" Kaz Hirai wasn't fired - he was promoted.]

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I wonder if the PS4 is selling so well because of the main operating system is pretty damn smooth altogether. I don't own one but my best friend does and I play it sometimes. It works really well. There isn't a whole lot to play on it though. I played some Destiny the other day but it looked like it had a lot of missing potential in the gameplay department but beautiful aesthetically.

Honestly though, I think the main reason is because of Xbox Ones snafu with licensing beforehand and all those people looking to upgrade just went in that direction because Nintendo is seen as a kiddy console and not even a choice. Sigh.