Sony E3 press conference to play at movie theaters

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-28-sony-e3-press-conference-to-play-at-movie-theaters
PlayStation maker's media briefing to show for free at 43 big screens across North America

E3 press conferences are always billed as big events, but Sony is trying to take it to a new level this year. The PlayStation 4 maker today announced that it will be livestreaming its E3 media briefing to 43 movie theaters in North America.

Admission to the screenings will be free, but fans must reserve their seats ahead of time. Within hours of the promotion's announcement, roughly half of the theaters involved were listed as having sold out, with would-be attendees offered a place on a waiting list should more seats open up.

Besides an HD broadcast of the show, attendees will also get surprise gifts and an extra half hour of game clips and interviews that won't be seen at the press conference or in the online livestreams.

Sony's E3 press conference is set to kick off Monday, June 8 at the LA Memorial Sports Arena at 6 p.m. Pacific.
-------------------------------------------

There's nothing more to say. Sony has dropped the bomb.

This beats out Nintendo's digital event in terms of effectiveness. In fact, Nintendo should start doing the same thing.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
*Whistles* Very nice, Sony, very nice. I hope they make use of this to help the Vita get back on it's feet as I do want Sony to give me a reason to own one. The PS4 would do fine with or without this

Cnorth

Considering Sony's great presence with the PS4 I can't see why they wouldn't do this. A bit of fan service like this goes a far way.

Now unlike Nintendo, who for some reason (probably financial) can't even manage to hold an E3 press conference. I'm already beginning to miss the days where I'd skip school to watch the E3 press conferences live. I guess I still get all I want from the Nintendo Directs. But it's just not the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cnorth

^I lol that because "of financial reasons" how generic is that? They got billions in the bank that isn't being touched. What they make off 3DS could fund anything they would want to do for e3.
Lol yeah, I'll admit I was just taking a stab at the Wii U there. I know as well as anyone that Nintendo isn't necessarily failing that hard.

I mostly assume they just want more of an online presence now, but I think it totally destroys a lot of excitement and hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Pretty cool, wish I could go but the nearest theater is 60 minutes away.
Considering Sony's great presence with the PS4 I can't see why they wouldn't do this. A bit of fan service like this goes a far way. Now unlike Nintendo, who for some reason (probably financial) can't even manage to hold an E3 press conference. I'm already beginning to miss the days where I'd skip school to watch the E3 press conferences live. I guess I still get all I want from the Nintendo Directs. But it's just not the same thing. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not financial, they're renting out the same place they did E3 press conferences for the Smash Bros. tournament.

Nintendo's just trying new things rather than them being broke (lol), but damn I wish they came up with Sony's idea.

I would kill exactly 10 men (specifically men) to see the first HD Zelda on the big screen. Not delegated to some Nintendo Direct.

Odo

I like the Nintendo approach. I think Directs are nicer than boring conferences.

Of course there's some kind of tradition and good image when you're there at the stage, but when Nintendo gives us a direct, I feel that they're giving the best for their fans.

Nintendo Direct approaches fans while conferences approache an specific audience.

ASuch

The Salt Master
I like the Nintendo approach. I think Directs are nicer than boring conferences.

Of course there's some kind of tradition and good image when you're there at the stage, but when Nintendo gives us a direct, I feel that they're giving the best for their fans.

Nintendo Direct approaches fans while conferences approache an specific audience.
But why have a boring conference when you can have an exciting and interesting conference?

The only reason why the Directs work is because they are too clean. There is no way they can fuck up or say anything improv or on the spot. You have a greater feeling that the Direct is pre-recorded than a conference. There is a large dissonance.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Sony's E3 last year, MS last year, Ubisoft 2012
Not really. Sony's biggest announcement at E3 was that they had a feature that consoles have had for several decades and they dragged their conference for an eternity. Hardly what I would call exciting. Microsoft's was ok but you can't honestly tell me that was exciting. Only a mere handful of the new games they showed truly looked great. Ubisoft's E3 2012 was only considered good because everyone else's was so bad that year

@Superfakerbros ,
For me E3 2005 and 2006 remain the two best E3 EVER !
The last exciting E3 ? The one with the 3DS reveal, E3 2010.
Yeah, I'd agree. That was the last time I felt very excited during any E3, let alone Nintendo's

ASuch

The Salt Master
Not really. Sony's biggest announcement at E3 was that they had a feature that consoles have had for several decades and they dragged their conference for an eternity. Hardly what I would call exciting. Microsoft's was ok but you can't honestly tell me that was exciting. Only a mere handful of the new games they showed truly looked great. Ubisoft's E3 2012 was only considered good because everyone else's was so bad that year

Yeah, I'd agree. That was the last time I felt very excited during any E3, let alone Nintendo's
Seeing Sony lay it down on MS and shove it in their face was pretty damn awesome, man

plus they reconfirmed FFXV and KH3 among some other stuff

It's just the brutality of Sony going after MS in their conference that day, shit was epic man

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Seeing Sony lay it down on MS and shove it in their face was pretty damn awesome, man

plus they reconfirmed FFXV and KH3 among some other stuff

It's just the brutality of Sony going after MS in their conference that day, shit was epic man
Well when they only have two major games to show off at E3 with a two hour conference, it's hard to be disappointed. I get that it was funny seeing them tell off Microsoft for their DRM policies but, personally, I found it kind of ironic how they would do that whilst having little to show at E3 themselves. I guess, for me, E3 is still mostly about the games so stuff like that doesn't do anything for me. It's kind of why I tune myself out whenever companies talk about what they're about and their sales and their philosophy and so on and so forth during their E3 press conferences

ASuch

The Salt Master
Well when they only have two major games to show off at E3 with a two hour conference, it's hard to be disappointed. I get that it was funny seeing them tell off Microsoft for their DRM policies but, personally, I found it kind of ironic how they would do that whilst having little to show at E3 themselves. I guess, for me, E3 is still mostly about the games so stuff like that doesn't do anything for me. It's kind of why I tune myself out whenever companies talk about what they're about and their sales and their philosophy and so on and so forth during their E3 press conferences
there was also the order, destiny, and infamous among other stuff man

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
there was also the order, destiny, and infamous among other stuff man
Oh yeah, The Order. I forgot. But, even so, we already saw inFAMOUS: Second Son and, while I do want Destiny, it's also a multiplat so I don't think it could count as a win for their E3. That'd be like if I gave Ninty credit for showing off Call of Duty: Black Ops II during their September Conference, a game coming to every other system

Ex-Actarus

I guess Sony must be pretty confident to go big screen with their press conference.

They will OWN this E3 if they show the Last Guardian running on PS4 and playable on the show floor.

To this day I still can't believe Shadow of the Colossus was a PS2 game, could you imagine what those guys could do on a PS4 hardware ?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Sony's E3 last year, MS last year, Ubisoft 2012
That was only because Microsoft made sure their conference was particularly groanworthy. Not to mention because EA's and Ubisoft's conferences were also turds. On that note, Ubisoft 2012? The only noteworthy thing about that conference was Watch Dogs, and again that was because of how awful the rest of their conference was.

The way I see it, people have gotten accustomed to getting glittery turds, shiny turds, and goldleaf polished turds. So Nintendo decides to bring something that isn't a turd, but people are complaining that it's not shiny. Sure, it's not shiny. But it's also not a turd.

ASuch

The Salt Master
but matt I'm not kidding

the whole XBone DRM thing sure put a black cloud over the conference, but they showed a lot of interesting games, hardly a shit conference