Sony's At It Again!!! Copies Smash Brothers...

Sony just registered the domain PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale which is the rumored Sony Smash Brothers and it will be revealed on Gametrailers TV on the Spike cable network.

The reaction to this has been mixed across the interwebz but let's be fair here:

We don't even know if this game is exactly a copy of Smash Brothers but with Sony "characters". Who knows, maybe they'd add blood to appeal to the hardcorez

As I said "characters"... what characters? do they even have enough to make a Smash Brothers type game?

^ Honestly I don't even know who the hell are these... and I think one of them is not even a character.

*sigh*

Why don't Sony just be, what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah, ORIGINAL

I stand corrected...

It IS a total copy of Smash Brothers but with Sony characters... the only difference is that in Sony's game the characters have life bars instead of the increasing percent found in Smash. So, in Sony's game you "kill" a character rather than just throw them off screen.

That's it... I thought it was going to be a little different but it's not, characters act the same as they did in Brawl, stages are somewhat lacking in terms of design, Fat Princess (apparently a Sony character) looks like a combination of Peach and Wario and also they have Final Smash type attacks.

COME ON, seriously, it seems that Sony is desperate to have a hit game this holiday season so bad.

Now, to be fair (again) The footage that they showed is (I think) very early in development since the graphics are not that good. Also they showed just 6 characters that are meh but they promised to show more and even third party characters.

But judging by the footage, it is a total rip-off of Smash Brothers and a bad one at that

Ex-Actarus

I have not trouble with Sony or anybody else copying Nintendo.

But seriously here it's shocking
!!!

It's Smash Bros with Sony characters...

That's the biggest Sony rippof since the Move and the sub controller...

Shame on you Sony
!!!

At least they could have tried something a bit different...

I see SSB and PASBR (worst abbreviation ever) as "Good vs Evil" the Sony characters look like monsters from the pits of hell trying to harm humanity while SSB are obviously the good guys stoping them LOL!!!

Edit:

Here's a video comparison to best illustrate my "Good vs Evil" statement:

Which game will give you nightmares?

Ex-Actarus

That comparison is even more embarassing for Sony...

It dosen't even seem there is a Gen difference specwise between the 2 games.

This shows once again how Sakurai's masterpiece was so stunning.

"Ex-Actarus" wrote: That comparison is even more embarassing for Sony...

It dosen't even seem there is a Gen difference specwise between the 2 games.

This shows once again how Sakurai's masterpiece was so stunning.
You know what? I really don't know if this game is a downloadable game only or a retail one... so that would explain the poor graphics for a first party 2012 PS3 game... but, isn't it a big holiday game for Sony? it has to be retail right?

Also the game runs at 60fps like Brawl, so perhaps the PS3 couldn't do better effects at that framerate

Ex-Actarus

I don't think it's a downloable title.

It seems that new studio has been formed in 2009 "only" for this game.

That means the game has been in development for 3 years or so.

I think that Sakurai developed Brawl in 18 months if I'm not wrong...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't think I really mind that Sony's making their own Smash Bros, or maybe even that it's so similar (though that's ridiculous, if I take my glasses off and squint I can't really tell which is which other than by the color scheme), but rather the fact that it looks boring.

Smash Bros has much more of a delicate balance than Sony seems to realize, and many players already feel that Brawl was a step away from that balance in comparison to Melee (I don't have an opinion on this), so I just don't see how Sony's PABST (abbreviation suggested by EvtilTwin) can really make a splash. TMNT Smash-Up already failed, and THAT had the FREAKING NINJA TURTLES, not General Buzzcut or Renegade Baldings from the new franchise "Sepia Carnival Shootout".

I'm just saying, Sony doesn't have the characters necessary to pull off the hilarity of Smash Bros, and the technical expertise of finding that balance of party-competitive game is more than likely also beyond them.

"juegosmajicos" wrote: I don't think I really mind that Sony's making their own Smash Bros, or maybe even that it's so similar (though that's ridiculous, if I take my glasses off and squint I can't really tell which is which other than by the color scheme), but rather the fact that it looks boring.

Smash Bros has much more of a delicate balance than Sony seems to realize, and many players already feel that Brawl was a step away from that balance in comparison to Melee (I don't have an opinion on this), so I just don't see how Sony's PABST (abbreviation suggested by EvtilTwin) can really make a splash. TMNT Smash-Up already failed, and THAT had the FREAKING NINJA TURTLES, not General Buzzcut or Renegade Baldings from the new franchise "Sepia Carnival Shootout".

I'm just saying, Sony doesn't have the characters necessary to pull off the hilarity of Smash Bros, and the technical expertise of finding that balance of party-competitive game is more than likely also beyond them
Yeah, it appears that Sony when they copy they go like: "If that thing worked for that company, then it would work for us" But they don't realize that it has to take more than copying.

Also yes, the characters...
I think this game will only appeal to harcore Sony fanboys... like, REALLY hardcore.

I actually wouldn't mind a good SSB clone from Sony. The SSB franchise is one of my favorite franchises ever when it comes to fighting games. So much fun.

But this looks far from as fun as SSB to me sadly. Too many 3rd party characters, the way they mix the stages with themes from different games is weird and just looks really bad and I feel as if the visuals should be able to look a lot better.. It's just a mess to me.

Ex-Actarus

"19Robb92" wrote: I actually wouldn't mind a good SSB clone from Sony. The SSB franchise is one of my favorite franchises ever when it comes to fighting games. So much fun.

But this looks far from as fun as SSB to me sadly. Too many 3rd party characters, the way they mix the stages with themes from different games is weird and just looks really bad and I feel as if the visuals should be able to look a lot better.. It's just a mess to me.
I agree there are far too many characters.

I mean Dante, Big Daddy, Heiachi, Raiden, Ryu Hayabusa ? Come on !

I think Sony needs those characters because they are lacking characters with the charisma of Nintendo ones.

Besides, they are revealing too many characters. Nintendo did the same thing with Brawl and I was so upset... No surprise whatsoever !!!

I don't want to critisize Sony for making an SSB clone. I just wish they took a different direction.

I mean Little Big Planet is not Mario and that's good !

Looks like rubbish to me. No offense meant, but this looks more like a parody of Brawl than anything. The only way to get points are likely poorly balanced "Final Smashes," a quarter of the characters are third party, and it doesn't exactly look impressive.

"Ex-Actarus" wrote:
I don't want to critisize Sony for making an SSB clone. I just wish they took a different direction.

I mean Little Big Planet is not Mario and that's good !I wouldn't even mind if it was a full-out clone. The SSB are incredibly fun and if done right Sony should have had a amazing title on their hands. But they just don't seem to be putting that amount of effort in to it. It looks very goofy and unbalanced.

"Salnax" wrote:
Looks like rubbish to me. No offense meant, but this looks more like a parody of Brawl than anything. The only way to get points are likely poorly balanced "Final Smashes," a quarter of the characters are third party, and it doesn't exactly look impressive.
Agreed. Parody would be good way of putting it IMO. It does look very goofy and it's definitely far from as big of a project than it is for Nintendo when they make SSB.

maybe now that they ripped off smash bros they will allow smash bros to be played at evo and mlg...
it's sponsored by sony.
melee was never allowed

beanboy

they will allow smash bros to be played at evo and mlg...
it's sponsored by sony.
melee was never allowed
After reading this, it makes alot of sense. This is not the first time I heard this. I remember Maximillian Dood, mentioning this as well at one point, on his yovideogames channel, when one of his fans, asked him about the history of smash, evo and sonys strange bias against Smash and Virtua Fighter. It was a very interesting stream.

Last edited: