{SPOILERS} Xenoblade Chronicles X Thread for Winners! {Spoilers}

Koenig

The Architect
We already had half conversation in the chat, so forgive us for starting halfway through one!

But I do just want to get out of the way that I love the world of mira, I love the characters, and I love the lore, but I have huge gripes with the main story.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Convo from @Koenig and I

Tue Feb 2, 11:30:54pm

OwenKoenig: Sup

Tue Feb 2, 11:32:06pm

OwenKoenig: So what were your thoughts on the last chapter? Plot twists, execution, exposition, and post credit scene

OwenKoenig: All of it

OwenKoenig: *Clicks note taking pen*

simplytravis: Ok...ok...ok...lets see..where the hell to start.

OwenKoenig: Chapter 12, ideally

Tue Feb 2, 11:33:19pm

simplytravis: Last chapter. Epic. Well done. Exquisitely voiced. Some intense battles. I beat mega-bad-dude by the skin of my teeth.

simplytravis: I can't really fault anything. I sort of figured what I was going to see in the lifehold. It was foreshadowed in chapter 10 and 11. But still, well done with how they pulled it off.

simplytravis: In fact..the last enemy was ruined for me...but I was surprised by how it was done. Same thing with the whole mimeosome thing.

Tue Feb 2, 11:34:20pm

OwenKoenig: Ah

simplytravis: Now...the real ending.

OwenKoenig: I actually liked the plot twist, but the execution and pacing made me very angry

simplytravis: I can see why you were angry. Oh my gosh.

OwenKoenig: lol

OwenKoenig: sequel bait at its finest

simplytravis: Seriously, I don't think I"ve ever been so excited and frustrated by a games ending.

OwenKoenig: Lol

Tue Feb 2, 11:35:22pm

OwenKoenig: I actually liked it at first

OwenKoenig: until I found out that there was no post game content for it.

simplytravis: It better have a sequel in some form. Seriously..this has to be the best springboard for a new story in gaming that I've seen in years.

OwenKoenig: lol, yep

simplytravis: I mean..its like on the level of Firefly good.

OwenKoenig: heres hoping it actually releases within the next decade...

simplytravis: Of course...they killed Firefly too , sigh.

OwenKoenig: Lol

Tue Feb 2, 11:36:24pm

OwenKoenig: Jumping back to chapter 12 for a sec...

simplytravis: I don't see how they could not make a sequel though...that would be wrong.

simplytravis: Yes...chapter 12.

OwenKoenig: I was really frustrated at the storyboard they had going...

simplytravis: How so?

OwenKoenig: "hey guys, don't you think we should check to make sure Laxuss is dead?"

simplytravis: haha, true. Major oversight. But..honestly that whole thing took longer than 15 minutes...

OwenKoenig: "nah, lets start fiddling with the life hold, having an enemy mech in our base could not possibly go wrong"

Tue Feb 2, 11:37:32pm

OwenKoenig: Then there was Lao...

simplytravis: Should we talk about this in a new XCX Thread for Winners?

OwenKoenig: That expostion/merging with laxuss bit felt beyond contrived o me

simplytravis: I think I need to make that...like now.

OwenKoenig: Sure

simplytravis: So we don't ruin anyone.

simplytravis: Ok..brb..making thread.

Tue Feb 2, 11:38:39pm

OwenKoenig: keep me updated by using chatango for each post, that way I cans tay in the loop

Koenig

The Architect
Anyways, as I was saying...
Lao's transformation along with Luxaar being absorbed by him (along with his mind) felt extremely contrived to me. Not to mention the exposition felt very rushed. what made it worse though, was how much I wanted to punch Lin in the face.

*Lao is blowing up the life hold*

*Lin rushes in to keep us from stopping Lao*

The frustrations I had with her just got exponentially worse.

simplyTravis

Ok, so in response to your question. I didn't feel like the whole conversion was contrived. I liked the idea of the whole idea of this cancerous goo that just grows and grows with some dna information. It was an interesting metaphor on how hate is all consuming and takes over you mind and soul in the end.

With that being said, the monster looked very Resident Evil-like. I was surpised by the Lao-creature.

Elma. Oh my goodness Elma looks amazing as an alien. What type of alien is she? Is she one of the original people or did she defect? L seemed to like her so maybe they are of a similar race? I don't know if I caught that one.

simplyTravis

Anyways, as I was saying...
Lao's transformation along with Luxaar being absorbed by him (along with his mind) felt extremely contrived to me. Not to mention the exposition felt very rushed. what made it worse though, was how much I wanted to punch Lin in the face.

*Lao is blowing up the life hold*

*Lin rushes in to keep us from stopping Lao*

The frustrations I had with her just got exponentially worse.
Oh no, Lin was annoying me. In fact Doug was too. My survival instincts took over. I loved the whole idea of uploading your entire conciousness on a mainframe. I would love to see a future game that tackles the whole soul vs behaviourism/materialism aspects of that philosophy. The creators are very obviously pro materialism judging from the last two games. I would find it interesting to see another perspective in the future from them.

Now, the Ancient One...who is that dude? How is Lao back in the desert? Is freakin' J.J. Abrams making this game? I felt like I was playing a much better sci-fi version of lost. The plot twists were expertly done.

Koenig

The Architect
Ok, so in response to your question. I didn't feel like the whole conversion was contrived. I liked the idea of the whole idea of this cancerous goo that just grows and grows with some dna information. It was an interesting metaphor on how hate is all consuming and takes over you mind and soul in the end.

With that being said, the monster looked very Resident Evil-like. I was surpised by the Lao-creature.

Elma. Oh my goodness Elma looks amazing as an alien. What type of alien is she? Is she one of the original people or did she defect? L seemed to like her so maybe they are of a similar race? I don't know if I caught that one.
Then why did they need a machine to to build the lifeforms if the goo could do it all on its own? I guess there is no point in arguing about it though. But yeah, he looked like he was ripped strait from Resident Evil and teeth.

As for Elma, I actually really liked that plot twist. I just wish the game had elaborated more about her. Who are the Qlu? What is there relation to the Ganglion? How did she know the attack was inbound on Earth? How/Why did she help? etc.etc.etc. My biggest disappointment with the game is how many questions were left unanswered.

Koenig

The Architect
Yeah..who is the ancient one? what is the vita? what is it missing? where idd it come from? why was it even relevant to the plot? what was the corruption? Why did the telethia help us? how could we all communicate on the planet? who built the rings? why are all the aliens being directed to the plannet? what is sending them back when they try to leave? also for the post Credits scene?

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE STILL ALIVE?

simplyTravis

Now as far as the machine. I think the machine is essentially the thing that controls the goo. Without the data and some way to either input that data or manipulate the amount of goo there would be more of those monsters.

I think Elma was put to sleep because she had to blend in. I think if she were an alien there would be animosity as you can see with nearly any race that was added to assist on Mira. No time to explain that this alien is there to help.

Koenig

The Architect
Now as far as the machine. I think the machine is essentially the thing that controls the goo. Without the data and some way to either input that data or manipulate the amount of goo there would be more of those monsters.
It was not so much the machine as it was the computer defense system though. Although they were a "Malfunction" the chimeras were created by the system intentionally to protect the lifehold...

I would like a word with the person who programmed that defense system...They clearly used to work at Umbrella Corp.

simplyTravis

Yeah..who is the ancient one? what is the vita? what is it missing? where idd it come from? why was it even relevant to the plot? what was the corruption? Why did the telethia help us? how could we all communicate on the planet? who built the rings? why are all the aliens being directed to the plannet? what is sending them back when they try to leave? also for the post Credits scene?

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE STILL ALIVE?
Now...the biggest question in all this is....HOW DOES TATSU KNOW WHAT HOM-HOM ARE?!?! He is the "guide" on the planet for them. I'm thinking he may actually pay a far grander roll in all of this than we saw. When he stared at the camera breaking the wall between the game world and us (who have prior knowledge of the Xenoblade Chronicles) it was sort of this shout out that he knew more than he was letting on.

How we are still alive is an interesting question. I feel like the Mira is some sort of purgatory. The whole idea of purgatory is that you essentially wipe clean the sins and filth of the regular world to become closer to heaven so you can be accepted there. Some say that purgatory is also like fire because you are away from God and want to be in heaven. Maybe Mira is purgatory and we have to essentially get over our Earthly disagreements and take down the tower of babel , so to speak. That would be a good reason for the communication capabilities. Wow..the more I think about it...Mira is potentially a purgatory and they are trying to become more perfect so they can be one with the Ancient One...whoah.

Koenig

The Architect
Now...the biggest question in all this is....HOW DOES TATSU KNOW WHAT HOM-HOM ARE?!?! He is the "guide" on the planet for them. I'm thinking he may actually pay a far grander roll in all of this than we saw. When he stared at the camera breaking the wall between the game world and us (who have prior knowledge of the Xenoblade Chronicles) it was sort of this shout out that he knew more than he was letting on.
Oh god don't remind me. That is one of the most out of place slap in the face references I have ever seen. Granted, if he had not dismissed it and the story left other clues that XCX is tied to XC, that would be awesome.
How we are still alive is an interesting question. I feel like the Mira is some sort of purgatory. The whole idea of purgatory is that you essentially wipe clean the sins and filth of the regular world to become closer to heaven so you can be accepted there. Some say that purgatory is also like fire because you are away from God and want to be in heaven. Maybe Mira is purgatory and we have to essentially get over our Earthly disagreements and take down the tower of babel , so to speak. That would be a good reason for the communication capabilities. Wow..the more I think about it...Mira is potentially a purgatory and they are trying to become more perfect so they can be one with the Ancient One...whoah.
Speaking as a religious man. Do not want. What I wanted out the story was just about anything but that.

simplyTravis

Oh god don't remind me. That is one of the most out of place slap in the face references I have ever seen. Granted, if he had not dismissed it and the story left other clues that XCX is tied to XC, that would be awesome.

Speaking as a religious man. Do not want. What I wanted out the story was just about anything but that.
Haha, I kind of do and don't. Like I said earlier, the game is fairly negative on religion and some parts of Xenoblade vexed me initially. I still think it would be an interesting story arc if done well.

Koenig

The Architect
Side stepping the main story for a sec so that I don't sound ungrateful; I think the Manon and the Orphe are two of the best alien races ever conceived. You know? Maybe?

Koenig

The Architect
Haha, I kind of do and don't. Like I said earlier, the game is fairly negative on religion and some parts of Xenoblade vexed me initially. I still think it would be an interesting story arc if done well.
I don't know why, but almost every time a JRPG tries to work religion (fake or real) into their story, they rub me the wrong way. The only game off the top of my head that did it well was Okami.

Koenig

The Architect
Sidestepping again to one other complaint I had, though not about the story.

I was very disappointed that NLA never had construction quests like Colony 6 did in Xenoblade. I really wanted to help build the new city, yet nothing about it ever really changed other than parking an alien ship above it. If sidequests had actually contributed to the reconstruction of the city it would have been a great way to organically grow and invest the player in NLA. As is, almost everything I actually cared about was solely in the barracks/administrative district.

simplyTravis

Side stepping the main story for a sec so that I don't sound ungrateful; I think the Manon and the Orphe are two of the best alien races ever conceived. You know? Maybe?
I loveeeee the Manon. Everything from their little quirks to their voices. I also like that they are curious to a fault and got in trouble in quite a few missions.

The Orphe were pretty epic too. The combination of the interior voice that they share, their naming structure, and how they reproduce were quite amazing. The interaction with the Tree Clan where they eat the sacred tree was a great mission and showed a good contrast between the races.

I would love to be able to choose these races in future games and use perks in a similar system to races on Elder Scrolls. I think that would be the logical next step.

simplyTravis

Sidestepping again to one other complaint I had, though not about the story.

I was very disappointed that NLA never had construction quests like Colony 6 did in Xenoblade. I really wanted to help build the new city, yet nothing about it ever really changed other than parking an alien ship above it. If sidequests had actually contributed to the reconstruction of the city it would have been a great way to organically grow and invest the player in NLA. As is, almost everything I actually cared about was solely in the barracks/administrative district.
I agree there. I think it would have been fun to build it up after you finish the game. That would give me some closure that I was at least building while trying to figure out the whole mimeosome problem. Some perks or at least new missions would have been a good bonus for doing so.

Koenig

The Architect
I hope the next game focuses on just a few characters like they did in Xenoblade rather than have 20+ different character that are only tangentially related. XCX had a bad habit of making a cool introduction and then forgetting about that character completely as far as the main story-line was concerned. L deserves more screen time damnit!

simplyTravis

I hope the next game focuses on just a few characters like they did in Xenoblade rather than have 20+ different character that are only tangentially related. XCX had a bad habit of making a cool introduction and then forgetting about that character completely as far as the main story-line was concerned. L deserves more screen time damnit!
I was sooooo mad when I found out that L's last affinity quest involved me beating the game. Also, I was annoyed at the Phog/Frye quests because it required both of them.

I agree though, a more cohesive group of characters would be great. I did like the ability to pick and choose people for my team but ultimately it didn't really play well from a story perspective. Gameplay wise, it makes sense. My next step is to do all the affinity missions. I only wish they were closer in quality to the story missions. The music is pretty bad and acting stagnant in the affinity missions. It still doesn't really detract how I feel about the game.

Koenig

The Architect
I was sooooo mad when I found out that L's last affinity quest involved me beating the game. Also, I was annoyed at the Phog/Frye quests because it required both of them.

I agree though, a more cohesive group of characters would be great. I did like the ability to pick and choose people for my team but ultimately it didn't really play well from a story perspective. Gameplay wise, it makes sense. My next step is to do all the affinity missions. I only wish they were closer in quality to the story missions. The music is pretty bad and acting stagnant in the affinity missions. It still doesn't really detract how I feel about the game.
I loved the music in general except during cut scenes. I don't, I really don't know how the cut scenes were so badly implemented with music. Literally 50% of the dialogues were lost to loud music and overpowering vocals.

simplyTravis

I loved the music in general except during cut scenes. I don't, I really don't know how the cut scenes were so badly implemented with music. Literally 50% of the dialogues were lost to loud music and overpowering vocals.
I just turned up my surround sound system and it sort of worked out. Towards the end I got used to it. I just really didn't like the overuse of lyrics in most of the songs. There were some times that lyrics worked perfectly but most of the time it was extraneous and distracting. I loved it when the game would forget I was flying and play the regular continent music haha.

Koenig

The Architect
I just turned up my surround sound system and it sort of worked out. Towards the end I got used to it. I just really didn't like the overuse of lyrics in most of the songs. There were some times that lyrics worked perfectly but most of the time it was extraneous and distracting. I loved it when the game would forget I was flying and play the regular continent music haha.
Seriously... I absolutely LOVED the flying song, however the fact that I had to listen to it all the damned time, even If I only used my flight for a second to get over a bit of broken geometry, killed it for me after the 100th damned time. It was very flow breaking for me at times, I just want to listen to the gorgeous environmental music while moving along a path and come to the bleak realization that a 2cm high wall was blocking my skell for some reason and than I would have to fly to get over it; break immersion on two levels at once.

I don't know why they left it in like that, it could have had a delay on it or flight could have required a double tap to activate so we could still jump, but it makes me sad that my favorite music is also the most annoying due to its shear repetition of use.

simplyTravis

Mira is a giant computer, would be my guess, and managed to download/transfer all the trashed data an instant before the Lifehold Core crashed due to Samaarian space-time technology.

praisegrima
I think that is a totally legit explanation also. Not to sound crude, but it is almost an analogy of the Lifehold Core essentially "impregnating" the planet which would then bloom life as its resources are partially used up.

The interesting question is, how can they get their bodies back? Or will they get their bodies back? Another question is dealing with why there are other aliens crash landing there. Maybe all of those races are descendents of the Samaarian?

Its all a dream in Bionis' head.

I can only hope its all followed up on in the next game, I get a sick feeling when I think about possibly not knowing.
Maybe the Bionis are the memories that seeped into the planet and then infected the machines?

I'm gonna be so mad if this isn't followed up in the future. That was just too much teasing. Seriously.

simplyTravis

First of all, I'm excited he actually reviewed this game!

However...he didn't really do a thorough review.

I think everything he mentioned about the game was pretty spot on and he admitted he actually liked it. But the fact that he got his robot only to be wrecked by a level 60 character is one of my favorite things about the game. Almost no matter how "big" you get there is always something that will have to scrape you off its foot when it accidentally steps on you.

Also, to stop right when you get the Skell is just wrong. There is so much more to the game. I mean..it actually just opens up at that point. Reading the comments of the video makes me realize that most gamers just want instant gratification. "I only have 1 hour a day to play games, I need to play a faster paced game." You can play this game one hour at a time, but honestly, the problem is that XCX is so good you just kind of play for hours on end while it keeps pumping out little bits to keep you going like a local drug dealer somewhere in a dark alley. Eventually you end up emaciated on the floor staring at the ceiling asking "why?" when your fix is over.

Ok...maybe I have a problem.

Koenig

The Architect
First of all, I'm excited he actually reviewed this game!

However...he didn't really do a thorough review.

I think everything he mentioned about the game was pretty spot on and he admitted he actually liked it. But the fact that he got his robot only to be wrecked by a level 60 character is one of my favorite things about the game. Almost no matter how "big" you get there is always something that will have to scrape you off its foot when it accidentally steps on you.

Also, to stop right when you get the Skell is just wrong. There is so much more to the game. I mean..it actually just opens up at that point. Reading the comments of the video makes me realize that most gamers just want instant gratification. "I only have 1 hour a day to play games, I need to play a faster paced game." You can play this game one hour at a time, but honestly, the problem is that XCX is so good you just kind of play for hours on end while it keeps pumping out little bits to keep you going like a local drug dealer somewhere in a dark alley. Eventually you end up emaciated on the floor staring at the ceiling asking "why?" when your fix is over.

Ok...maybe I have a problem.
He has a review a week schedule by contract so I can understand his dropping the game early. The fact he even made it 30 hours into a JRPG, let alone reviewed it surprised me; even more surprising is the fact that he liked it. I am guessing he did play a bit more after getting the robot since he got it hour 24. I have to agree though, he got everything spot on.

"Seeing how long it would take before the game would finally give me the fucking giant robot advertised on the box! ...It was like I was hinting at my parents what I wanted for Christmas and the game was just going "well maybe if your very good, the Giant Robot fairy will visit someday"."

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I think that is a totally legit explanation also. Not to sound crude, but it is almost an analogy of the Lifehold Core essentially "impregnating" the planet which would then bloom life as its resources are partially used up.

The interesting question is, how can they get their bodies back? Or will they get their bodies back? Another question is dealing with why there are other aliens crash landing there. Maybe all of those races are descendents of the Samaarian?

Maybe the Bionis are the memories that seeped into the planet and then infected the machines?

I'm gonna be so mad if this isn't followed up in the future. That was just too much teasing. Seriously.
Obviously they're able to create the bodies (as evidenced by the cat they made) but as to whether or not they can transfer the memories of the mimeosomes to these new bodies is anybody's guess.

So even if they can't make themselves new bodies, they would technically be able to have children using the equipment they have in the Lifehold core.

praisegrima

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

That's what black tar is lol

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

So y'all do know there are zombies in this game right?

What's eating me most about the game story is the fact that we still dont know who the person who saved planet earth with elma was. I think it its your avatar but he was just created at that moment you start the game. Perhaps he was based off the person who saved the planet.

UGH there's so many interesting ways the story could go form here. What if the sequel starts you with that person? Maybe they're your avatar's original source code?

And its the source code is tracked inside the water.

Lao being pissed made a lot of sense. But iI dont know why you're hating on Lin.

You guys should tread the prolugue stories for the game

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Ha some other people thought this too, cause they were talking about how the planet just sucks people right in and you cant leave.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Seriously... I absolutely LOVED the flying song, however the fact that I had to listen to it all the damned time, even If I only used my flight for a second to get over a bit of broken geometry, killed it for me after the 100th damned time. It was very flow breaking for me at times, I just want to listen to the gorgeous environmental music while moving along a path and come to the bleak realization that a 2cm high wall was blocking my skell for some reason and than I would have to fly to get over it; break immersion on two levels at once.

I don't know why they left it in like that, it could have had a delay on it or flight could have required a double tap to activate so we could still jump, but it makes me sad that my favorite music is also the most annoying due to its shear repetition of use.
The trick? Go fly over the ocean and have that song play instead.

simplyTravis

What if in the sequel, the avatars body changes to that of the lost person and you retrieve those lost memories?
That would be cool. Maybe the memories come rushing back to the main character and you potentially find things out about yourself you don't like or surprise you.

Then you could also have instances where you start losing control of yourself and sort of have to fight back in another realm. Maybe go into a coma to regain control for a chapter or two? I think it would be nifty, although probably done before.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Sorry about the promotion delay, I honestly thought this was your original regular Xeno thread for winners....

The titles were so similar I thought this was your old thread....

It has been promoted....

imageedit_10_2439551465.gif

simplyTravis

Sorry about the promotion delay, I honestly thought this was your original regular Xeno thread for winners....

The titles were so similar I thought this was your old thread....

It has been promoted....

View attachment 2844

Haha, no problem. I kept it similar so people wouldn't accidentally find their way here. Also, I had just finished the game and I HAD to talk about it with @Koenig that second.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I finally finished the game. I'm not in a rush to do all the affinity missions, I'll finish them between now and Dark Souls 3 I guess.

I find such a deep gap between the quality of the writing in most of the gameplay, when just doing small sidequests, as opposed to that in the main story or the affinity missions. It's like the difference between reading a book and watching a slice of life anime. In the small sidequests, you have interesting things going on, like racist people, religious zealots, people whose personalities get the better of them and you may help them grow up, and generally a variety of themes and tones that enrich the experience; on the main story and the affinity missions, you have anime tropes and cliches out the ass, plus a stunted presentation in which characters don't even have specific animations for most of their cutscenes, instead employing the same canned animations they use in generic NPC cutscenes.

Also, that final boss was tedious as hell. I went there as soon as I hit level 50 and got my new Skell, but I wasn't exactly weak. In my battle with Luxaar in the huge skell I was in Overdrive from beginning to end, and killed him after nearly 1M damage. It just was frustrating because he would launch me or topple me every 15 seconds, wresting control away from me. G-Virus-infected Lao was even worse because he'd take control of my character, essentially forcing me to start my overdrive from scratch.

The story wasn't doing so bad until the last chapters, but my god, they really ruined it quickly. I love the universe they've created here, but this was a terrible way to introduce people to it.

By the way, there are several references to this game being in the same universe as the first Xenoblade, not just Tatsu knowing about hom-homs. There is also a Moi-Moi sidequest that talks about the legendary sword with an engraving on its handle (though it could be talking about any nopon sword, the nopon are also the only direct link between the Bionis and Mira). Tatsu also compares the Zu Pharg's size to the ancient Frontier Village or something like that. There is a Collectopedia item, the Primitive Colossus Statue of Noctilum's Curios, that depicts the Bionis and Mechonis locked in battle. So while these may just be fun references for the developers, it could also be that the Samaarians are just the people from the Bionis and Mechonis, and that they created the Earth of XCX in the image of the old Earth from before Bionis existed (Alvis would have that knowledge, being a computer from the original Earth).

Anyway, it's not fair having to choose between long-haired Elma, and brown-skinned Elma.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I finally finished the game. I'm not in a rush to do all the affinity missions, I'll finish them between now and Dark Souls 3 I guess.

I find such a deep gap between the quality of the writing in most of the gameplay, when just doing small sidequests, as opposed to that in the main story or the affinity missions. It's like the difference between reading a book and watching a slice of life anime. In the small sidequests, you have interesting things going on, like racist people, religious zealots, people whose personalities get the better of them and you may help them grow up, and generally a variety of themes and tones that enrich the experience; on the main story and the affinity missions, you have anime tropes and cliches out the ass, plus a stunted presentation in which characters don't even have specific animations for most of their cutscenes, instead employing the same canned animations they use in generic NPC cutscenes.

Also, that final boss was tedious as hell. I went there as soon as I hit level 50 and got my new Skell, but I wasn't exactly weak. In my battle with Luxaar in the huge skell I was in Overdrive from beginning to end, and killed him after nearly 1M damage. It just was frustrating because he would launch me or topple me every 15 seconds, wresting control away from me. G-Virus-infected Lao was even worse because he'd take control of my character, essentially forcing me to start my overdrive from scratch.

The story wasn't doing so bad until the last chapters, but my god, they really ruined it quickly. I love the universe they've created here, but this was a terrible way to introduce people to it.

By the way, there are several references to this game being in the same universe as the first Xenoblade, not just Tatsu knowing about hom-homs. There is also a Moi-Moi sidequest that talks about the legendary sword with an engraving on its handle (though it could be talking about any nopon sword, the nopon are also the only direct link between the Bionis and Mira). Tatsu also compares the Zu Pharg's size to the ancient Frontier Village or something like that. There is a Collectopedia item, the Primitive Colossus Statue of Noctilum's Curios, that depicts the Bionis and Mechonis locked in battle. So while these may just be fun references for the developers, it could also be that the Samaarians are just the people from the Bionis and Mechonis, and that they created the Earth of XCX in the image of the old Earth from before Bionis existed (Alvis would have that knowledge, being a computer from the original Earth).

Anyway, it's not fair having to choose between long-haired Elma, and brown-skinned Elma.
now it is just Shoulder holding us back from the podcast lol... I want to play some of the online stuff as well though, before we start... I agree with you pretty much entirely btw... the quest stories were pretty cool, but the main plot was mostly weak... and the lack of interestign cutscenes really hurt those more dramatic moments... where is the original xenoblade had all sorts of amazing cutscenes

I have a rather long list of things I hated about this game... BUT I still loved it overall, I just want something more story focused.. and a good story at that... I missed the batshit crazy ending of the original here, for example.

most of my issues were mechanical though... from the small hard to read font, to the confusing menus, the all over the place missions that at times were great, and at other times were wildly inconsistent and a pain to resolve... like that lobster mission.. the thought of trying to clear that puts me in a cold sweat and makes me want to avoid the game entirely... also the character creation was weak as hell... I would rather they give us an actual character if they aren't going to let me deeply customize the avatar... the character designs in general were pretty meh and doll-like...

we NEED to podcast about this game lol

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
Haven't beaten the game (or started it) yet.

Don't mind me. Just doing a little bump of each thread started in 2016 to push down all the oldies.

Kaine

The Hylian Knight
Why were ALL of the Life Pods that were found empty, except for the one that we were found in.
Also, on the North Beach of Primordia there is a piece of the LifeHold Core. Why was that never addressed?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Why were ALL of the Life Pods that were found empty, except for the one that we were found in.
Also, on the North Beach of Primordia there is a piece of the LifeHold Core. Why was that never addressed?
I agree there should have been something more to do with all those Life Pods around the world. Like if you had to find people out there, who would then appear in NLA and maybe open questlines. That would also give more significance to having a high mechanical skill besides just planting probes.

This game is just one big example of game systems not coming together very effectively. Still love it, though.

About that lifehold core on the north beach of Primordia, I believe that was part of the quest in which Nagi joins your team. He's out there with a team investigating it.

Not all the LifeHolds hold people, I think every other piece just had random Earth information.
A lot of the secondary lifeholds are also affinity/normal mission specific.
Also I'm pretty certain the main character is some special kind of robot, Yelv's missions allude to this. Nothing is explained very well,due to the saga nature of this hopefully continuing series. Its still a poor execution in most respects.

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
You don't really need to do artificial bumps here. If you want to bump an old topic with something new, that's fine. Otherwise, just let the threads with current activity stay up.
Half-joking. Just participating in what is "current" is all. Probably shouldn't have posted anything since I havent actually beaten the game yet tho, lol.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Half-joking. Just participating in what is "current" is all. Probably shouldn't have posted anything since I havent actually beaten the game yet tho, lol.
Man that's dangerous to be in an RPG spoiler thread. :mnerv:
Not that there's anything particularly good about this game's story to spoil, unfortunately.

simplyTravis

Man that's dangerous to be in an RPG spoiler thread. :mnerv:
Not that there's anything particularly good about this game's story to spoil, unfortunately.
There are a few key things that are bad to have spoiled though. For instance the Chapter 5 reveal and the final boss. Also, the sheer amount of aliens are a sad thing to have spoiled.

Other than that, everything else isn't that mind blowing. Well..other than the very very end. Fuuuu.