"Star Wars : The Force Awakens" impressions ( spoilers )

Ex-Actarus

Be careful ! If you have not seen the Force Awakens, please stay away of this thread as this is spoiler review and conversation.

The day Disney acquired the right for Star Wars from George Lucas, I was waiting for this moment... It was already 3 years ago, but the wait has been simply unbearable. Today I was in a packed cinema in Dublin ( Ireland, not California :) ), with hundreds of other Star Wars fans and as soon as we saw the Lucasfilm logo, we started to cheer. Just the feeling to listen the traditional Star War intro music is so special. I nearly had tears in my eyes as I was so happy. And from that first second until the last one, I was entertained for 135 minutes. The Force Awakens is certainly not a perfect movie, but it perfectly delivered on its mission, bringing that original trilogy look and feel.

Actually, Force Awakens is a bit misleading. Its not really a sequel to the original trilogy, it's actually more a remake... Force Awakens is remake of the 3 original movies. You have Rey on Jakku who is pretty much a copy of Luke of Tatouine. The face off between Kylo Ren and Solo is so reminiscent of the struggle between Luke and Vador in Empire strikes back. Maz Kanata castle ressemble so much Jabba the hutt stronghold in Return of the Jedi. And we can find dozens of examples like this. It seems JJ Abrams and Disney wanted to make sure that moviegoers felt at home while watching the Force Awakens. And that's exactly what happens, it's a classic Star Wars movie, so much so that the movie is a bit too cliche : another death star, really ? Another member of the Skywalker family turning to the dark side, again ? A droid followed by the dark forces because he holds in him secrets, come on now ! That really felt too much ! Ok, we're in love with the original trilogy, but not to the point to be retold the story in a different way...

Having said that, JJ Abrams manages to deliver an incredible movie. First of all the casting is top notch. Rey and Finn are incredible ! Rey is so lovely and passionate, you just like her from the first minute you see her and you want to see more of her. Finn, what can we say ? I had - as many - my doubts about Finn, I wasn't sure how he was going to fit in, but how wrong we were ? He's so funny and so lovable ! And BB8, I wuld have never believed I R2 could have some competition. Even the other characters as Poe Dameron or Maz Kanata, deliver. Actually, my only complain on the characters front, comes from the dark side. Snoke feels to much like the emperor. Kylo Ren lacks the charisma of Vador and why removing his mask ? But the real pleasure is to see the old heroes back, and boy, they delivered big time ! Solo still has it and Leia is as usual the true resistance leader. And what a emotion to see Luke at the end.

But I will stop here, because I could go on forever. In the end, Force Awakens delivers on the hype. And JJ Abrams managed something nearly impossible : keep the structure of the original trilogy, while setting the foundation for the movies where - clearly - the new generations, Rey, Finn, Poe, Ren, will take over.

Please let's discuss the movie folks...

FriedShoes

MLG
I hate that I came to like Finn only for him to shove off for Rey, who I didnt care for much, in the end. He's apparently gonna take a backseat for the next movies too.
Otherwise good. I'm not a fan of the franchise so I probably missed a lot of little cool things for fans. It flowed well and the characters were a strong point, save Kylo who I also think sucked. Something about his motivation and delivery didnt sit right with me.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I'll need to wait awhile for everything to fully sink in, but I was very impressed with it. It had a lot of the old Star Wars magic and makes me really excited for the future of the series.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Of course, spoilers in my post.

So I just saw the film, and was very impressed by it. I get what you mean about it having similarities to ANH, which it never affected my enjoyment of the film. The pacing was very well done without much down time, and I loved the cast chosen for this. Both Rey and Finn were great in their roles, and of course it was great to see the usual suspects all back. I loved the little bits of humor as well as the references to the original trilogy.

Here's an interesting thing I noticed as I watched it. So the trailers make it seem that Finn is the one who will become a Jedi, since in the trailers that I saw, it was only Finn who wielded a lighsaber. Then you come to find out that Rey has the powers of the Force in her, and thus is the real Jedi in this case. Almost reminds me of the Queen Amidela switcheroo in EP1.

Now...Han Solo. FUCK! I mean, I'm not too surprised considering it was Harrison Ford who wanted Han Solo to be killed off in EP6. So he got his wish, but 32 years later. It still sucks because I loved Han as a character, and it'll be as though something is truly missing. But perhaps this is where Finn comes in. What was interesting though is Han was stabbed with the Lightsaber, but was still alive as he fell into that chasm below. Kylo Ren was also injured, but I don't recall him ever dying. I'm almost positive he would've made it out before the planet blew. Han's situation is a bit different as he fell into this chasm after being stabbed, so we are all led to believe he died as a result. Doesn't help my case though that the entire planet when up in smoke. I guess I was hoping for another Gandalf from LOTR situation where he falls down, but is actually alive and makes it out of there. Highly unlikely to happen for EP8 though.

One thing I'll point out is while surfing Reddit a few days ago, I came across a random photo that had NOTHING to do with Star Wars, and the caption mentioned how Kylo Ren kills Han Solo. Then I find out it was all true, so I got that part of the movie spoiled for me (I was secretly hoping it was a troll though). No matter though, looking at it, the movie sort of sets itself up for Han's demise. Still sad though.

The ending I thought was damn near perfect in having Rey finding Luke, offering the lightsaber to him, and Luke just standing there was this interesting look, almost as if he's shocked.

Now I have to wait two years for the next movie. *sigh*

Shoulder

Agree with almost everything Chris said in this spoiler review. And thinking about it, it was definitely probably the right thing to do with regards to Han, and yet, like I said, it's still sad though.

Shoulder

I think what's interesting is when you hear the summaries of the prequels, they don't sound that bad, but then you watch them for real, and they don't exactly hit all the right notes.

Ex-Actarus

I think what's interesting is when you hear the summaries of the prequels, they don't sound that bad, but then you watch them for real, and they don't exactly hit all the right notes.
I think Star Wars fans have been way too harsh with the prequels. Yes, they weren't as good as the original trilogy, but they were entertaining movies.

I think there were 4 majors issues with the prequels :

- The Casting
That's the main problem for me. And I'm thinking about 1 person in particular, Hayden Christensen. He was absolutely TERRIBLE. Not the the acting was that bad ( it wasn't good... ) , but he NEVER managed to step into the shoes of Vador. He felt too thin - literally as well - to carry such a charismatic character. That's too bad, as the other actors around him, did a pretty good job. But there was also many issues with the non important characters as captain Panaka or Ric Olie, they're just non believable and we never feel immersed into the story really.

- The Love Story
The insistence of Lucas to put the Anakin/ Amidala love story at the center of the plot, destroyed the prequels imo. There was never any kind of chemistry between Christensen and Portman. Not the mention that the love story was poorly handled on the screen from a scenario and dialogue prospective. That love story completely ruined Attack of the Clones ( by far the worst movie of the prequels ).

- Too much CGI
I don't know what Lucas was thinking, but too much CGI in the prequels stopped us from being really immersed into that world. The only time I felt really invested in the whole prequels was on Mos Espa, the desert of Tatouine.

- Where is the Humor ?
I think it's when I watched Episode 7 that I really realized how much I missed the humor from te original trilogy.

Just got back from seeing it.

Ugh.....I'm pretty torn.

I didn't like Kylo. Reminded me of Anakin Skywalker. Prequel Anakin Skywalker. All he needed was to say "are you an angel" and some atrocious love dialogue and it would have been complete.

Also, what the fuck is up with Star Wars introducing potentially awesome characters and disposing them in the most anti-climatic way possible. Boba Fett and now Captain Phasma.

The film started out a bit shaky to me. I wasn't a fan of Poe at first, I thought they were doing another han solo, chriss pratt loveable goof again, and I just couldn't stomach the way the actor was doing it, but thankfully he fucked off and when he came back, he was good.

All that said, I did like the way it was shot. The scenes on Jakku with the star detroyers in the sand, the Starkiller planet, the fight scene at the canteena with the First Order and Rebellion. I enjoyed all that. I also did like Ray and Finn.

Overall, it reminds me of Skyfall. The villians piss me off in an otherwise great movie. Lastly, I hope episode 8 isn't another "Empire Strikes Back" in the same way this was pretty much another 'A New Hope". I won't give the movie too much shit about it, but I hope this new trilogy isn't just a "hey guys remember this". I don't want Star Wars to be as repetitive as Marvel movies.

edit: Right, also enjoyed most of the humour. The part where Ray mind tricked the stormtrooper into dropping his gun was great. When Ren finds her missing and has a hissy fit, the other two stormtroopers just stop and walk away.

So yeah, I need time I guess to let it sink in, but I stand by my comparison to Skyfall.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Definitely felt like a trilogy opener, but a much better one than Episode 1.
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I'm not a Star Wars super fan. I have seen all the movies, some of them several times, but I definitely don't dissect every detail like my future brother-in-law.

I'm with you. I love episode 4 and 5. I got problems with 6 but still like it. My problems with this movie are with the movie itself and not because this minor detail isn't in accordance with some other minor details. I'd have the same problems even if the movie was called anything else.

I just miss the days where movies were movies, not a commerical for setting up a whole series of movies. That said, it was still good.

Shoulder

Speaking of Skyfall, you guys know that Daniel Craig had a cameo in the movie, right? He was the storm trooper who was mind tricked by Rey on the Starkiller.

Speaking of that scene, I laughed when the storm trooper dropped his gun after Rey mind tricked him into doing it. Perfect.

Simon Pegg was also in it, but he was covered up completely. We almost can't really call it a cameo since they're completely in disguise.

Still, I did love that part.

Odo

I didn't like it.

I'm no star wars fan, but this is the film that I most disliked.

I didn't like the humour, I think that girl is overpowered, that vilan and the storm troops are kinda silly and that storm trooper who shouted traitor and used a sword was super weird.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I didn't like it.

I'm no star wars fan, but this is the film that I most disliked.

I didn't like the humour, I think that girl is overpowered, that vilan and the storm troops are kinda silly and that storm trooper who shouted traitor and used a sword was super weird.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a tonfa, which makes sense because that's what cops use to pacify aggressors or to harass the homeless and minorities.

The weapon the Stormtrooper is wielding is a little weird because it's basically a tonfa with an energy club extension. I guess it makes sense that it's a weapon that they can choose to use defensively with the energy part retracted, or offensively with the energy club extended. Honestly it might be the coolest weapon we see in the movie, it sucks that we only saw that one fight with it.

Shoulder

Here's a cool video showing the VFX of EP7, including what was practical and what was digital. I particularily liked how the lightsabers this time around were actually illuminated, so the color would accurately be reflected off the actors in the scene. Nice little detail there.

Obviously, there are spoilers, but since this whole thread is spoiler filled, it's no biggie.

Odo

This is the view from a non Star Wars fan, me:

The return of the Jedi has Luke beating the Empire.

So I was expecting this film to be about the new world with lots of jedi warriors, the comeback of the Senate and the stormtroopers shut down. The Jedi Peace.

But actually the Jedi warriors were doomed, Luke couldn't control some jedi kids, a faction of the Empire is rulling, they explode planets, Luke are upset on a tiny island.

Damm, Luke and that princess are bloody incompetents.

Shoulder

This is the view from a non Star Wars fan, me:

The return of the Jedi has Luke beating the Empire.

So I was expecting this film to be about the new world with lots of jedi warriors, the comeback of the Senate and the stormtroopers shut down. The Jedi Peace.

But actually the Jedi warriors were doomed, Luke couldn't control some jedi kids, a faction of the Empire is rulling, they explode planets, Luke are upset on a tiny island.

Damm, Luke and that princess are bloody incompetents.
It's like the Skywalkers are the reason for the Jedi Order falling, the Empire rising, and now the First Order.