Strategies to make more money from games

Odo

DLCs, collection editions and this year we had all this loot boxes situation in the news.

There's all this discussion about loot boxes and if it's gambling or not, that's a discussion that I'd like to see, but the thing is, there's been some talk about the fact that games' prices didn't inflated for 20 years and that the industry has to do something asap to increase the income.

Do you guys think that game copies will soon require an increase on the basic price tag, maybe going from $60 to $80 or something like that in a few years?

Or the industry will keep pushing new strategies to make us pay more for extra stuff?

Or do you guys think that this is all bs and game industry is richer than ever?

And finally loot boxes? Fair play or not? What kind of strategies should we accept to avoid an increase on the basic price tag?

FriedShoes

MLG
I dont know anything about game development so its easy to say that I'm on the side that believes the industry is very rich, but extremely bloated. If things were managed tighter, there would be no need for any bullshit like lootboxes or microtransactions. Hell, there probably is no need for any of that in general, its just part of corporate growth, you need to keep growing or suffer the wrath of the shareholders.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It's definitely a hard topic. Some games actually seem cheap when you get them for $60, such as Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, Xenoblade 2, and others like these. I would have no problem buying these for $80, though it would definitely be frowned upon by gamers in general.

That goes for online multiplayer games like Street Fighter V, Overwatch, Destiny, Monster Hunter, and even Splatoon. These are games that a dedicated player can easily invest hundreds of hours into, and which have new content released for them regularly. Splatoon 2 today has something like double the amount of content as it did on its release. For $60, it's almost like we're pirating the game. But at least in this case developers do have a way to continue to monetize the game, in the form of online subscriptions, lootboxes, and cosmetic microtransactions. Personally, I'm the kind of sucker that that doesn't mind spending real money on Chun Li costumes and character season passes for SFV just because I already have over 400 hours into that game, and I love it.

But most of the industry just cannot measure up to this level of entertainment. In my opinion, most of these monthly AAA releases just don't deserve a $60 price tag, and the used games market shows that. I think it was Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2 that I saw drop down all the way to $20-$30 for Black Friday, just a month after their release, and that's because those are supposedly good games. There is no hope for the Tomb Raiders of the industry.

Odo

In my opinion, I don't see any problems with microtransactions, loot boxes and DLCs. Unless the game is rubbish and wants you to pay for extras to make the game worth it -- but in this case the game is already rubbish in the first place and consumers shouldn't have bought it --.

I think games now are like cinema. We've got tons of new films every month, but that doesn't mean we should watch them all. People buy consoles just for 1 game. I have friends that buy Nintendo only for Pokemon. They track 500 hours and them they sell both the game and console. It happens all the time. So, If I love a franchise, I can buy tons of DLCs and that would just make me happier. And that's how the industry makes their whales.

People say that whales are poor souls, but I think the industry has the right to do that and should do that.

And that goes to the point Juegos is talking: most AAA releases these days don't deserve $60 price tag. It's like only fans or people that have money to spare buy those games. The others just wait a few months and get the same content for less. So that means that the $60 price tag isn't quite fair these days, maybe because we have now more options than we had back in Nintendo vs Sony days.

However, I don't feel comfortable going to a situation that games are cheaper but we have to pay more for premium content, the free game strategy. I still have this need for the feeling that I'm buying a complete $60 game.