Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Sharing

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Super Mario Maker 2 has arrived! And it is pure joy!

In this thread, feel free to share any levels you've made.
Make sure to include your course ID and a description of the course.

We'll be happy to play them.
Likes are appreciated.
As is constructive criticism.

Happy Making!

I do plan on picking this up one day. I never bought the first one but with the addition of co-op on the horizon I think I have too. I've been wanting online co-op in Mario games since the Wii U days. That said, I'm excited to just have more Mario levels to play.

When I do get it I'll be sure to try your stages first SJ

sjmartin79

Thank you @BobSilencieux and @CitizenOfVerona!

I enjoy the creativity of making the levels. My biggest goal is to be fair to the player. No cheap deaths. I also want to design courses that are aesthetically pleasing and well-themed. Just because we have everything at our disposal doesn’t mean I need to use everything on each course. But in the end, I want people who play my courses to think “That was fun!” or “That was unique”.

BobSilencieux

I really enjoyed getting the world record on the Toadette speedrun level in particular; there was already a pretty competitive time set. I also got the WR on your fun time drive course but the ghost house level was too impenetrable for me to really break it down and go for WR. Overall, very good levels offering 3 very different experiences from each other, which I guess is one of the hallmarks of a good creator.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I loved the first game. I'm not so much into the Creator aspect (which is fun, just not something I'm driven to do), but I really like getting to play basically an endless amount of 2D Mario. Sure, some levels you play online are stinkers, but there's enough goodness here that I can drop a couple of hours on any given day playing random levels.

That said, I'm probably waiting a bit before getting this one. I'm excited about the tag and search features for finding levels, and of course the co-op, but I'm not in a rush to get it just now. Probably even just a 15% off sale will be enough.

sjmartin79

I had to take some mental me-time last week, so I didn't create much... or play much.

But here is a new level.
Bowser's Boss Fight Bonanza
5S2-8WF-5KF

Beat the baddies, get the keys, and get out!

Because it is a pink key level, you can't put in a checkpoint. So apologies for that.
I had never made a level where it's just you versus rooms of bosses. I tried to make it fair that you could go back and get a mushroom if you chose to do so. I try to make all of my levels as stylish as I can.

Hope you enjoy!

BobSilencieux

I did enjoy! (Getting the world record)

So I made a level. It's my first ever Mario Maker level (technically 2nd, but the 1st was just a practice attempt) so I'm sure there's a lot I could have done better, but it is what it is.

It's supposed to be a light world / dark world level but I don't think it's immediately apparent that the sub world is a reflection of the main area; that's something I could have done better.

FL3 RHS DGF

sjmartin79

I did enjoy! (Getting the world record)

So I made a level. It's my first ever Mario Maker level (technically 2nd, but the 1st was just a practice attempt) so I'm sure there's a lot I could have done better, but it is what it is.

It's supposed to be a light world / dark world level but I don't think it's immediately apparent that the sub world is a reflection of the main area; that's something I could have done better.

FL3 RHS DGF

Can't wait to play this tonight when I get home from work! (I wasn't on TNE all weekend, or I would have seen this sooner.)

BobSilencieux

The swinging claw section at the end is a legitimately awesome section. I have absolutely no idea how you actually got it all to line up and work but I was genuinely impressed when I saw it. And, of course, I enjoyed getting the world record on it.

As for my levels, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed with how they've been received so far. I really REALLY don't think they're particularly difficult levels, but nobody seems to be able to beat them (both have one clear each, both with stupidly low clear rates). I just don't understand what's going on. I'm only a slightly-above-average player myself and I can easily one-shot both levels now, after the creation and playtesting process. Is it just that the specific selection of players who've tried my levels so far aren't quite up to it? If so, how do I get some slightly more skilled players to play and rate the difficulty of them? Or is it that I just think that certain sections of my levels are easy because I play them in a certain way, but in reality, other people don't do the same as me, and therefore find those sections really hard or frustrating?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
My brother bought SMM2 so I was able to borrow his account to play the levels in this thread. If you get a like from "PepitoCaon", that's me.

@sjmartin79 that cinematic claw section at the end of the Captain Toad level...:mnerv:. But I did resist the temptation to try to move at all, and without having read your course description.

@BobSilencieux Fuck your level. :msilly:
The Stranger Things level was actually alright, just a little difficult but not hard to understand. The other one with the claws and bounce pads was more difficult because I wasn't sure how the bounce pads were supposed to be used. Then I found out that it was the claws that I was using wrong. I was operating from the mindset of other platforming games where I'm used to jumping out of a swing at the end of the arc for the greatest momentum, but in this case, the claw actually reduces Mario's momentum so it's better to jump out as early as possible after attaching to the claw. With that momentum, using the bounce pads becomes automatic. The second half of the level was easier for me.

sjmartin79

The swinging claw section at the end is a legitimately awesome section. I have absolutely no idea how you actually got it all to line up and work but I was genuinely impressed when I saw it. And, of course, I enjoyed getting the world record on it.

As for my levels, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed with how they've been received so far. I really REALLY don't think they're particularly difficult levels, but nobody seems to be able to beat them (both have one clear each, both with stupidly low clear rates). I just don't understand what's going on. I'm only a slightly-above-average player myself and I can easily one-shot both levels now, after the creation and playtesting process. Is it just that the specific selection of players who've tried my levels so far aren't quite up to it? If so, how do I get some slightly more skilled players to play and rate the difficulty of them? Or is it that I just think that certain sections of my levels are easy because I play them in a certain way, but in reality, other people don't do the same as me, and therefore find those sections really hard or frustrating?
I've always thought of myself as an above-average Mario gamer, but I did not do well at your Since You Been Gone level. I'm going to try it again tonight. I'll make sure to Star all of your levels as well. I know that there has to be at least one completion and a certain number of stars before it comes available for people to play in the Endless Run section of the game.

sjmartin79

Thank you both very much! I spent a lot of time play testing each swing of the claw and each pass of the fire rods. Each time it was a near miss was just exciting for me as I was building. There was definitely trial and error. Some of the fire rods had to be turned to go the opposite direction. Others needed to be moved a block or so up or down or left or right.

My brother bought SMM2 so I was able to borrow his account to play the levels in this thread. If you get a like from "PepitoCaon", that's me.

@sjmartin79 that cinematic claw section at the end of the Captain Toad level...:mnerv:. But I did resist the temptation to try to move at all, and without having read your course description.

sjmartin79

@sjmartin79 Love your latest level. It was one of the most enjoyable World Record grinds I've had in this game: planning out the route and the order in which to collect the red coins; finding a couple of really great skips; and bringing the record down from my initial time of 1:16 all the way to sub-45 seconds. Great fun.
Awesome! Well done! This is definitely one of those times I wish I could see someone's run on the level.

sjmartin79

BobSilencieux

I just uploaded a new level. Again, it was supposed to be an easier level so I get more likes and less boos. Again, it turned out to be probably too hard for 90% of this game's player base. Oh well. It's a speedrun without coin trails. Or a timer. It has infinite shelmets and 2 checkpoints, so it should be doable. I'd welcome feedback...

"A Horse With No Name" 6F9-DMC-97G