Tembo the badass : a Nintendo game on X1/PS4 ? Kind of...

Ex-Actarus

The least we can say is that ; we didn't see that one coming... Tembo the Badass is a new game coming from a partnership between Sega and Gamefreak. The game is going to be released later this summer on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Nothing wrong with that picture until you realize that Gamefreak is a Nintendo developer, famous for Pokemon. How on Earth a game developed by Nintendo is not on a Nintendo platform ? I have no clue... Are we on April 1st yet ?

Is this the start of a new trend ? Or just an exception... I mean an anomaly... Who knows ?

Your thoughts ?

I actually love that move. This is Nintendo testing new grounds. If the PS4 and Xbox One are going the represent the vast majority of marketshare, why not going a bit after it ? This move makes no harm to the Wii U, it's not like people are going to buy home consoles to play Temb0... That said, I would have preferred to see Nintendo going after the mobile market, that's where they can make an incredible amount of money imo.

Source : http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/299864/From HarmoKnight to Tembo: Game Freak Speaks/

Source 2 : http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/pokemon-devs-swap-cute-for-carnage-with-new-game?watch

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
This isn't the first time Game Freak has made a game for a non Nintendo system....

This also isn't the first time Game Freak have developed a game that was not released on a Nintendo system....

Hell, it's not even the first time Game Freak and SEGA have colaberated on a game....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseman

This really isn't anything new, and obviously, Nintendo has absolutely NOTHING to do with this new game....

Nintendo owns Pokemon, not Game Freak....

Besides this game is the work of a westerner by the name of James Turner....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/pokemon-devs-swap-cute-for-carnage-with-new-game?watch

"Tembo is the result of Japanese studio and Pokémon masters Game Freak letting one designer from the East Midlands run wild for six months and seeing what he came up with. The fruits of Director and Character Designer James Turner’s efforts is a side-scrolling action platformer that although pretty straightforward at first glance, has a lot going on underneath.

James Turner joined Game Freak in 2010 and became the first Western games person to be let into the magical studio and rifle through their secret Pokedex. James is also the man who managed to smuggle a playable double-99-cone into Pokémon X & Y and for that reason alone the Lincoln-born visionary should be allowed to do whatever he wants. Game Freak employs a similar system to Google’s “20 Percent Time” ethos, where company members are given time to work on their own original ideas. It worked for Google; it got GMail, Google News and AdSense from it. Game Freak got a rhythm action platformer called HarmoKnight and now Tembo the Badass Elephant."

This game barely has anything to do with the real people behind Game Freak and the Pokemon Games....

And from the looks of things, Nintendo fans aren't going to be missing out on much anyway....

Looks like every other strait to download status action/platformer indie game I have seen previewed or released over the past two years....

Nothing special imo.... Certainly interesting that Game Freak is once again developing games outside of Nintendo consoles....

Even in this kind of "indie like" way....

But, that's about the only news here....

Last edited:

Ex-Actarus

Ok, not a "direct" move from Nintendo, but still...

Game Freak is pretty much ONLY working with Nintendo. They probably make 95% of their money with Nintendo. They responsible for developing game for the the second most successful/powerful franchise of Nintendo, Pokemon.

So, no matter how you look at it, no getting this game on a Nintendo platform, will raise eyebrows.

Yes, they did a game on non Nintendo console before, during the Genesis days... 20 years ago !!! So I think people have the right to be puzzled.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Nintendo probably looked at this game a long time ago and said they weren't interested....

Why, you ask...?

Because it's so fucking similar to their own internally developed Donkey Kong Country franchise from a gameplay perspective....

I can honestly see why Nintendo didn't care about trying to get their hands on this game....

It doesn't add to their porfolio in any way that would be meaningful....

Hence it would also make sense as to why such a move, like releasing this game for other platforms, is even being made in the first place by Game Freak....

My guess is, Nintendo didn't want it, for whatever reason....

So Game Freak went to SEGA and decided to release it anyway....

Just a hunch....

Odo

I've got no problem with GF making a game apart from Nintendo world. The only thing stupid in my opinion is the "reason" why they didn't put this game on Wii U. That was a mean response.

BTW, sometimes we think that GameFreak is a subsidiary of Nintendo, but in fact it's a second party that are allowed create games for other systems. I think GameFreak is so devoted to Pokemon that they hardly have enough time to develop other games, but they can.

I also don't see a problem porting this game to Wii U. It's a SEGA/GF game, both are Nintendo friends and making a Wii U/3DS wouldn't do any harm.

Ex-Actarus

@LightsaberBlues , you've got good points there.

That said platformers are part of Nintendo's DNA, so I think Tembo would have been at the right place on Wii U. Besides, it's not like the Wii U is getting tons of game anyway.

@Odo , yes you're right, Gamefreek spend so much time on Pokemon. maybe to a fault... Actually I wish Nintendo would let developers work more on other fresh franchises. I mean Tembo look incredible. And look what the EAD guys can do when they're free in Splatoon. Man imagine Anouma or Sakurai going for completely new franchises ! I would love that !

Odo

@Odo , yes you're right, Gamefreek spend so much time on Pokemon. maybe to a fault... Actually I wish Nintendo would let developers work more on other fresh franchises. I mean Tembo look incredible. And look what the EAD guys can do when they're free in Splatoon. Man imagine Anouma or Sakurai going for completely new franchises ! I would love that ![/QUOTE]

Me too. But I've got a greater concern.

Many of most brilliant Nintendo games come from Sakurai, Aonuma e Miyamoto minds.

Would Nintendo survive if those guys vanish in the thin air?

Is Nintendo working to create a new generation of game makers?

If yes, is Nintendo doing it the right way?