TEMPLE OF YOG

Hi Enthusiasts!
Cody here from CHUDCHUD Industries. It is my pleasure to introduce you to a game myself and some others have been working on this year. Here's some preliminary information. I'll be posting more info, videos, and screenshots coming in the next few weeks. Without further ado...

TEMPLE OF YOG
roguelike indie game for Wii U​

DESCRIPTION

TEMPLE OF YOG is the story of a developing civilization that sacrifices its people for the sake of progress. Tributes are offered up to the mysterious Temple where none return alive. This roguelike adventure takes players through procedurally generated dungeons and puzzles that span two screens. The tributes brave the dangerous depths of the Temple, all for the glory and prosperity of their people, but at what cost? Discover for yourself in this exclusive title for the Nintendo Wii U.

FEATURES
  • Transcend the veil between the realms of light and shadow! Gameplay shifts between the TV and the Wii U GamePad as you guide tributes through two linked worlds on separate screens
  • Choose your tribute! Multiple classes with unique skills and play styles including Warrior, Thief, Mage, Cleric and more.
  • Procedurally generated dungeons! The Temple depths twist and reshape themselves with each new sacrifice
  • GREAT BOONS! Progress your primitive village to an advanced civilization
  • MINOR BOONS! Upgrade your tributes’ stats and skills and unlock new features
  • Brutal boss battles, dangerous encounters, and perplexing puzzles around every corner
  • Classic 16-bit artwork
  • Original chiptune soundtrack
HISTORY

I've been working on this game since late Spring 2014. After attending GDC, one of the best take-aways from sessions was the importance of fast iteration development cycles. So that's what I did. I built and tested Sprint 1 of YOG on Wii U development hardware. I also released a PC build that displayed the unique interplay between the two screen environments.

The PC Demo is available on Itch.io at
http://chudchud.itch.io/temple-of-yog

I used this as a starting point to work out more details of the story, adjustments to gameplay, effects, and UI, as well as test some theories on engagement and drop off.

We're currently in Sprint 3 of YOG, and I've been posting Vines and Tweets somewhat regularly of updates along the way. Here's a compilation and some screenshots:

SPRINT 3 VINE COMPILATION

SPRINT 3 SCREENSHOTS

----------------------------------------​

SPRINT 1 (PC BUILD) GAMEPLAY

SPRINT 1 (PC BUILD) SCREENSHOTS

----------------------------------------
Like I said, more info will be coming soon, along with new artwork, soundtrack, videos, etc.

Feel free to follow the progress on my Devlog at http://templeofyog.tumblr.com

Check it out, let me know what you think, and hit me up if you have any questions!
Thanks,
Cody

(follow me on twitter! @chudchud )

It doesn't look half-bad. I'm intrigued if nothing else

What gave you the idea to make a game like this?
I played around with procedural content generation (PCG) for a mobile game called Dumpster Dive! and got hooked on the idea of creating levels this way. With YOG I'm trying to tell a story using common roguelike mechanics in a meaningful way. So things like permadeath and PCG have meaning in the story and world being explored. The Temple is an other-worldy place where rooms shift and change (bigger on the inside), so procedurally generating them makes sense. The village sacrifices Tributes to the Temple where none return alive, so permadeath has a purpose.

TBH it wasn't until recently (like past two weeks) that the story really came together. I knew I wanted to play with these mechanics, but finding the purpose for them within the game's universe has been really inspiring. Thanks for the question!

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I played around with procedural content generation (PCG) for a mobile game called Dumpster Dive! and got hooked on the idea of creating levels this way. With YOG I'm trying to tell a story using common roguelike mechanics in a meaningful way. So things like permadeath and PCG have meaning in the story and world being explored. The Temple is an other-worldy place where rooms shift and change (bigger on the inside), so procedurally generating them makes sense. The village sacrifices Tributes to the Temple where none return alive, so permadeath has a purpose.

TBH it wasn't until recently (like past two weeks) that the story really came together. I knew I wanted to play with these mechanics, but finding the purpose for them within the game's universe has been really inspiring. Thanks for the question!
I see. Well that's interesting. I think this may be one of the few games where I might actually be fine with permadeath...

Thanks for answering my question!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The list of features is very interesting to me. I played Rogue Legacy recently, and one of the things I liked a lot was upgrading the characters' skills by building the castle at the end of each run. In your game, I like the idea of both improving the characters' skills, and building the town (I assume both with similar or the same kind of currency earned in a run through the temple). I just like using earned currency to upgrade things strategically to earn even more currency and improve more things in the next run.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on this game.

Any estimates of when the final version of the game will be ready? It looks very promising.
It's a personal goal of mine to submit something every year to the Indie Games Festival. The submissions usually close around mid October, so I'm looking to release shortly after that. Once it gets thru lot check and all the rigamarole with NOA publishing, probably looking at Later October/Early November 2014. I'l keep you posted.

The list of features is very interesting to me. I played Rogue Legacy recently, and one of the things I liked a lot was upgrading the characters' skills by building the castle at the end of each run. In your game, I like the idea of both improving the characters' skills, and building the town (I assume both with similar or the same kind of currency earned in a run through the temple). I just like using earned currency to upgrade things strategically to earn even more currency and improve more things in the next run.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on this game.
Rogue Legacy was a big influence early on when I was conceptualizing YOG. I saw the dev give a talk at GDC (watch it here!) about their design process and the bit that immediately stood out was their gameplay loop

START > PLAY > DEATH > RPG

From a game design standpoint, this loop allow you to not worry too much about difficulty ramps or enforcing "floor clearing" during a single run.

A typical run for a Tribute in TEMPLE OF YOG averages about 1 to 5 minutes. For you as a player, and the village as a people to progress, a Tribute has to die. Every death has a purpose, and that gameplay loop of START > PLAY > DEATH > RPG enforces it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Very cool. I ended up uninstalling Rogue Legacy after getting to like NG+3 because I had done pretty much everything and didn't want to just be playing it for the dopamine drip, so I'm very open for a similar experience that gives me more stuff to do.

One of the features I'm super excited about for TEMPLE OF YOG is the swapping between worlds. During a Tribute's run in the Temple, two worlds are present for you to explore: a "light" world on the TV and a "shadow" world on the GamePad. Here's some screenshots of the Shadow world:

Dirt Man

Shadow Knights

Thief sprint

Shadow world full frame on GamePad

Warrior bolts flying

full frame Shadow world loot grab on GamePad

A tribute can only spend a certain amount of time in the shadow world, dictated by a SHW stat and meter.

I have another question or two, though they are more related to development rather than the game itself. How many people are working on the game? Likewise how many of the games assets are being developed in house?
Right now, the team consists of the following:

Myself (Cody) as the lead game designer and programmer. You can find more of my stuff at http://www.chudchud.com

Lee Bretschneider is the Lead Artist. He's a great artist with a background in animation and comics. You can find his stuff at http://www.adventuringcompany.com/ . If you like DnD and want to wear it proudly, check out his Role-play Dice Tees line, pretty cool stuff.

Pieter Montoulieu is our Composer/Audio lead. He does awesome hybrid chiptune/metal music under Dr. Zilog. Take a listen to his albums at https://drzilog.bandcamp.com/ and follow his gamedev adventures at http://pixelglitch.net/

Louie Castro-Garcia is writing and outreach coordinator. He blogs about video games and personal life at http://www.ghostfoxmask.com/ so make sure to take a look if you're down for a good read.

As far as your second question, currently the artwork for the builds have been based on an asset package we acquired a license for. Our production cycle is concurrent with art and programming, so we're using stock assets to get the game feel just right while original production artwork is being made. The soundtrack currently in place is original from Dr Zilog, mostly from previous games he and I have collaborated on. He just finished a new album and is working on a new score for levels, bosses, cutscenes, etc. right now.

When we do our "official" release, you should follow our progress on http://templeofyog.tumblr.com/ where team members will be posting about their contributions to the title.

Thanks for the questions!

Thanks for the shout out!

We've been hard at work on all new original artwork and updated effects. I thought I'd share some with you today:

UPDATED WARRIOR

NEW WILDERNESS ENEMY

...and a Blue Butterfly!

Here's a preview of the Wilderness Zone – World

And the Wilderness Zone – Shadow counterpart

See them in action by watching these Vines

Wilderness Zone – World Vine
https://vine.co/v/OzFI3iziVlT

Wilderness Zone – Shadow Vine

https://vine.co/v/OzFTwYOAwQb