The 35 and older thread

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Not only did we play Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda between watching episodes of Transformers and Thundercats when that ish all first came out, but we remember the pre-Mario Bros/NES era when Pac-Man and Donkey Kong were king and had their own breakfast cereals. We remember (barely) consoles that existed before the NES, and when pinball machines sat next to video game booths not out of retro kitsch, but because it was still considered a legit past-time in an arcade. There were PC games that were comprised entirely of text. We were "too old" for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Pokemon crazes.

aaand really, the cereal sucked and contributed to a generation of early onset diabetes, the pre-NES consoles sucked as well, but at least Thundercats were legit. Ah fuck I'm old.

And with that I'll saunter on back over to the 25 and up thread.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
The accelerator is the one on the right, not the one in the middle. Just a helpful hint.

Don't forget about pre-Gameboy handhelds! We practically had to buy a new console for every game... and we liked it. These games passed countless hours on those long drives north to visit my Grandparents.

You haven't lived until you've spent 12+ hours chilling in the cargo area of a two tone ChevyVan 10 (loaded with the comforts of home) and playing an awesome game from Tiger Electronics. My parents van was like a pillow fort on wheels. Seatbelts? I have no recollection of such things.
Also, Transformers and GI Joe were the bomb. GoBots gets a small honorable mention... this was the first movie I saw in a theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIbMbqkG0w

repomech

You fuckin' dicks. :))

@IINIGMA I remember the Go-Bots! They were the last cartoon on after school when I was six, right before the Carol Burnett Show. I also had a Donkey Kong handheld (although I am 90% sure it was bootleg). Peter Pan (the Disney film) was the first movie I saw in theatres (I think, I don't really remember). The first ones I fully remember seeing were Return of the Jedi, and I also saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom at a drive-in.

Tucker

hey let me know if you guys need help figuring out the remote.

I'll chip in if anyone needs a hand getting the sound system up and running.
And no, the thing that comes out of the disc drive is not a cup holder.
And be careful: records are made out of vinyl now, not shellac. They may not shatter, but they do scratch quite easily.

Ex-Actarus

You fuckin' dicks. :))

@IINIGMA I remember the Go-Bots! They were the last cartoon on after school when I was six, right before the Carol Burnett Show. I also had a Donkey Kong handheld (although I am 90% sure it was bootleg). Peter Pan (the Disney film) was the first movie I saw in theatres (I think, I don't really remember). The first ones I fully remember seeing were Return of the Jedi, and I also saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom at a drive-in.

LOL the Gobots !

I actually love that show back in the day.

But today, it's unwatchable, while Transformers G1 still rocks !

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
"Sword of Omens give me sight beyond sight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAA9rKZc-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_9jKFpQKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaTkPYzK00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBbW3g5y5Q

c="http://www.thespeakeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/11-he-man.jpg">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-Pl-Q34ng

These were a few of my favorite things as a kid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpj24WMOLw

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Oh, and if you see someone say, "THX," they're usually saying thanks, and not referring to the sound standard, or George Lucas' first movie THX 1138.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
He-Man figures were my stuff. I owned them all
When my parents moved, I helped them pack up the house and found all my old He-Man figures. I found I still remembered the names of 90% of them.

I loved Captain Power too! My cousins and I used to have battles at my grandmother's with those. Wow. I had forgotten about that one.
My neighbors had the GI Joe air craft carrier. That thing took up a lot of room on the floor.
80's childhood memories are flooding back. Thank you for the nostalgia! :)

Tucker

Oh, and if you see someone say, "THX," they're usually saying thanks, and not referring to the sound standard, or George Lucas' first movie THX 1138.
Oh god that was a terrible movie. I stand by it: George is a terrible director.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

I would have loved to have seen the Star Wars prequels if someone had been there reigning him in a bit. With him having freedom to do what he wanted... Well, you know.

Tucker

I would have loved to have seen the Star Wars prequels if someone had been there reigning him in a bit. With him having freedom to do what he wanted... Well, you know.
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Gene Roddenberry has creative control.Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Gene Roddenberry is creative consultant.
I rest my case :>

Shoulder

He is actually. Terrance Stamp even said so after working with him on Episode One. The Lightsaber battles were cool, but since I've started learning Modern Arnis (Philipino Stick and Blade), the battles are now nothing more than flashy, fancy swordplay with hardly any real application. It does make for some exciting battles though.
I'll be joining this exclusive club in may *cries*
You're predicting the date of your first gray pube?

If I let my hair grow out, you'll see some graying on the sides. On top of that, I have male pattern baldness, but you wouldn't know that with my Bruce Willis/Patrick Stewart look. B-)
Makes me feel those emoticons were made for me. ;)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If I let my hair grow out, you'll see some graying on the sides. On top of that, I have male pattern baldness, but you wouldn't know that with my Bruce Willis/Patrick Stewart look. B-)
Wait a minute...your balls look like Patrick Stewart?

http://www.startrekdesktopwallpaper.com/new_wallpaper/Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Patrick_Stewart_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1600.jpg

Shoulder

Wait a minute...your balls look like Patrick Stewart?

http://www.startrekdesktopwallpaper.com/new_wallpaper/Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Patrick_Stewart_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1600.jpg

=)) =)) =)) =))

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
That's truly amazing, man. Mine have this whole "sad pug" thing going on.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/4f265234fb9e1cc0575cc86c5650ebd6c6adc5b1_m.jpg

was down at my parents this weekend. Found my he-man, ninja turtles, transforers, and a bunch of comics. Can't wait for my son to get older! This kid needs to hurry up so we can play together!!!!

edit:was watching Comic Book men the other week. They had the GI Joe aircraft carrier. Man that thing is massive. I understand why my parents never got it for us. A) it would've taken up our whole bedroom, B) it was probably like $400. Still pretty awesome though. I miss those days of glow in the dark Thundercats pjs and saturday morning cartoons...

repomech

Over the weekend I was chatting with a cousin's husband who is one year younger than me (still inside the 35+ club), the topic of childhood cartoons came up, and he recalled he was really into TMNT when growing up. So I maybe got the times mixed up a bit on that one (or maybe the 1 year makes a difference). But I do recall that by the time the TMNT craze really hit my school, at least vis a vis toys, the kids into it seemed a touch younger and I was done with any non-Lego toys (could have been I was in a split grade with older kids that year, or maybe it was my neighbourhood or Canada was an extra year late). I saw a bit of the cartoon though, and it made a fun arcade game.

It's cynical in retrospect the number of cartoons that were so transparently designed around pushing toys. That kind of franchising really seems to have its genesis as an 80s thing. There's been spin-off merch from kids programming since at least the 1950's, but the idea that the programs themselves would be designed with marketing lines of toys in mind doesn't seem to have been a thing before then.

On a personal level I'm not sure that advertising/programming really worked exactly the way it was intended with me. There is a giant disconnect between the cartoons I watched and the purchasable toys/merchandise I took an interest in (and that my parents were willing to support). Did anyone else find this?

I loved the Thundercats and Transformers cartoons for example, but never owned or really pushed for any of the toys. Watched a fair bit of G.I. Joe as well (mostly to keep up with schoolyard chat), but my parents weren't too down with that franchise owing to its overtly propagandist quality, so I never owned any G.I. Joe toys. I always loved Lego the most, but I wasn't immune to the allure of some plastic figures as kid, it just didn't seem to line up with what I was watching. The non-Lego toy crazes I got most swept up in would have been He-Man, Star Wars, Matchbox cars and Battle Beasts, but the latter two didn't have any cartoons in North America (at least in North America), the Star Wars spin-off cartoons didn't interest me (loved the movies though), and I don't remember watching all that much He-Man - I think the He-Man toy interest was more fed by the images in the old Consumers Distributing catalogs we had in Canada as well as what the neighbour's kids were into, iirc I wrapped up the He-Man fascination by about 7.