The Comic Books Thread

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Thought I'd take a shot and see if we've got any other comic book fans out there, or posters interested in the medium. If so, this is the thread to get the conversation started. Let's hear some favourite past/present writers, artists and series/characters? What are you reading these days? Recommendations? Questions?

I feel like now is an interesting time for comics in some important ways (at least from a readers perspective, I can't speak to the health of the industry beyond licensing royalties), whether you're a long time fan, or a lapsed reader interested in a potential jumping on point. DC rebooted its series last year, Marvel is doing a partial but substantial reboot of many of its series as I type, Valiant just relaunched, and perhaps best of all there's a really nice selection of non-super hero titles on the go at the moment, many published by Image and some of the other smaller publishers. Softcover tradebacks have made the hobby more affordable, and more compact (no ads) allowing readers to follow a print series with an essentially graphic novel experience, digital is now an option, and of course there is a wide array of alternative graphic novel comics covering every conceivable subject matter and art style under the sun (and a few that aren't
).

[thumbnail]http://www.readjunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/comics1_sm.jpg[/thumbnail]

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Man, this reminds me, I need to get my small comic book collection out of storage.

I collected a few odds and ends. I kept up with Batman until Jean Paul Valley took over in 500 (but I did pick up 515). Collected X-Men off and on, but pretty well stopped soon after the Age of Apocalypse storyline. When Image launched, I kept up with Stormwatch and Wild Cats, but most of those I gifted.

[...yes, I do realize just how old I revealed myself to be.]

repomech

No worries on the age - I suspect we're very close on that front. If you've ever considered picking Batman back up, now's a good time. DC relaunched it last year with one of the best young writers in comics today, Scott Snyder. There seems to be a complete consensus he's hitting the series out of the park. I believe they just started a new story arc, so it's a jumping on point without having to catch up if you don't want. I haven't been following Batman myself, but I do read Swamp Thing (another Snyder series), and I checked out one of his horror comics with Image recently - he's the real deal.

I think we left off around the same point with X-Men. I've only recently tried picking things back up on that front. Along with anything with the name "Avengers" in it, there are a ton of X-Men titles these days (so over-franchised it isn't funny). For that matter, I'm more or less newly back into comic series in general again only in the past couple years, just been reading comic/graphic novels for quite a number of years. But I settled on Wolverine & the X-Men, which has been a really well written series since it began last year. Basically it's Wolverine splitting with Cyclops and taking half the X-Men with him to continue Xavier's legacy running a school - yes, you read that correctly, it centres around Wolverine as the headmaster of a school for mutant teens. It's quite light hearted on balance, a lot of comedy and character drama, lighter on action (especially of the non-slapstick sort). I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Did you follow any other series over the years? Or stand alone novels?

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
I use to enjoy comic books. I still enjoy them occasionally, and have quite a collection. I'm more into Manga/Anime than western comics, but some of them can be quite engaging.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't think I even knew this thread existed. Good to see it back up though, might get more use now.

For my part, all I know is that I've been recommended the Saga comics far too many times, so that's probably the first thing I'll jump on in terms of comics.

I've been keeping up to date with Deadpool and Hawkeye. I just ordered Ms. Marvel volume 1 so I'm excited to start that one.

Gave up on Guardians. Volume 1 was great, but volume 2 felt like I needed to read another issue between the comics. Too many plot points provided by other comics, so I gave that series up.

I have graphic novels as well. Sin City, Watchmen, Maus, odds and ends like that. I had V for Vendetta, but when me and the ex split she kept it. Now I can't bring myself to buy another one or watch the movie again.

repomech

Wow, I had no idea where this thread was buried. I was going to start a new one entitled "Comic Books Enthusiast" or something to that effect.

@juegosmajicos Yes, and I have been one of those recommending it - one of, if not the best series going in comics today. This is Saga:

(amazingly, none of those images really spoil anything)

@CitizenOfVerona I'm thinking of checking out Ms. Marvel, particularly now that She-Hulk and Hawkeye are wrapping up as my Marvel diet is looking pretty thin - it'll be down to just Silver Surfer and Daredevil. Incidentally Silver Surfer is being written as a Dr. Who styled adventure, it's so much fun.

Image has been killing it, and they've got some promising series launching in 2015.

Let's get some other comics fans in here...
@LightsaberBlues
@Mike D.
@Majorbuddah

Here's a few I'm reading now:

Multiple Warheads

Brandon Graham is fantastic. Unique art style, creative writing and worlds. This is a mini-series (that he has suggested he'll revisit again) set in a post-apocalyptic Russia (nuclear) that features a landscape littered with snow and remnant communist artifacts, multi-legged giant camel-esque creatures that can carry structures on their backs and it's about Sexica and her boyfriend Nikoli (a sort of werewolf)'s road trip to find a new town with less space ship crashes...or something. Just read it, it's awesome.

The Fade Out

This is by the guy who created the whole "Winter Soldier" Captain America arc. He and his long-time art collaborator Sean Phillips signed an exclusive deal with Image Comics for the next five years - he's the undisputed reigning king of noir comics and he has a license to create what he wants. Murder, scandal, coverup and McCarthyism in immediate post-WW2 Hollywood is the order of the day for this new series. A few issues in it's absolutely top rate. Noir at its finest.

Tooth & Claw

This series just launched a couple weeks ago, so it's only the one issue so far - and man can I not wait for #2. That is how you set up a world and a story. It's a fantasy book, one that seems to be putting the emphasis on a society and world on the edge of sweeping change/cataclysm (perhaps depending on your social perspective). In a world of differing tribes/castes of humanoid animals, magic - the source of power for the ruling castes in commerce and security, literally elevating their cities into the sky - is fading. Rebellion from the labouring ground dwellers below brews. A desperate, wreckless, forbidden and inspired bid to revive magic has dramatic consequences. Great stuff.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@sjmartin79 - you're a comics fan also iirc (at least X-Men), come join us in the (perhaps temporary) resurgence of the comics thread!
Yep, real life comics fan. Have been for over 25 years. I'm familiar with all the DC ones, but have strictly been a Marvel fan and more X-Men than anything else.
In storage, I've got over 3000 (possibly more) comics (all bagged and boarded). These days, I've been buying digital instead of paper and read them on my tablet.

Recently, I've been going back and reading some of my favorite arcs from the 90s and 2000s. It's interesting to see how the art styles have changed and the writing styles have differed.

I gave up on comics for awhile in my 20s and early 30s, but the Avengers vs X-Men crossover brought me back in.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
here's what i've got goin on above my bed right now

heh..

being single is fucking awesome.

GTA4 -> From Hell -> 300 -> Watchmen -> X-Men -> Curtis Mayfield

unfortunately, chicks don't dig this shit. fortunately, i do most of my bangin in the kitchen. GIGGITY

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
Last night I hung out with the comic artist Matt Rebholz after a lecture and demo at Lamar University. His stuff is not mainstream but it is pretty damn epic stuff. http://mattrebholz.com/art-cat/comics/

Speaking of mainstream comics. I'm really wanting to get back in to the whole Wolverine/X-Men scene but I need a good starting point. When was the start of the recent storyline arc or what should I read to get caught back up? I haven't read in like 6 years.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I was digging through longboxes of quarter comics at my local flea market and there were a couple that were missing covers. I have now found out that one of the issues i passed on was the first appearance of Gamora!
:mfacepalm:

EDIT: It was still there the next time i went so I grabbed it without hesitation :cool:

Last edited:

repomech

@sjmartin79
When it comes to "big two" superhero comics I definitely skew Marvel myself as well. Although I recently enjoyed Azarello and Chiang's now wrapped up run on Wonder Woman, and I'm looking forward to reading Grant Morrison's Multiversity mini-series once it's compiled in trade paper back.

Are you using comixology for digital comics? How do you find that or whatever app(s) you're using for the tablet? I don't think I can ever totally give up printed (although they don't have that comics smell that they used to), I'll always need at least a couple of those - but the day is definitely approaching where I'm going to have to choose very carefully due to space constraints, and much of my reading will have to shift to digital. I've bought myself some time by re-selling series I am not as attached to in hindsight, as well as buying more trade paper backs - but it's all just delaying the inevitable.

@Majorbuddah
That's a sweet display. If you don't know any women who would dig a guy into Watchmen and Curtis Mayfield (or for that matter X-Men, although maybe this one's more true of my age bracket) - I think you're dating the wrong women. They exist, believe me.

@simplyTravis
That's a really interesting art style he's got going there. I'm going to look a bit more into that later, thanks for the tip!

I'm not entirely up-to-date on X-Men, last I was reading (a bit over a year ago) the X-Men had split into two factions with the death of Jean Grey and Professor X - one grouped around Cyclops and one around Wolverine. That ended in some big crossover cash-in "epic", with Wolverine and the Avengers coming out on top. Now a year later Wolverine is also dead (at least for the time being). There's a boat load of X-series comics, and I've not been convinced that any of them are all that stellar at the moment. I'm an advocate of following writer and artist teams rather than characters - otherwise you can wind up wading through years of sub-par or mediocre stuff out of brand loyalty (in fact Marvel and DC count on it).

@mantisLJD
Do you lean Marvel or DC? Do you read any comics outside of the superhero stuff?

sjmartin79

@repomech - I use the official Marvel app on my iPad to read my comics.

As for the X-titles right now, I'm loving All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. All New revolves around the Original 5 coming to our present time, and Uncanny is about Scott's team. The others are okay, but those two are amazing.

repomech

@repomech - I use the official Marvel app on my iPad to read my comics.

As for the X-titles right now, I'm loving All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. All New revolves around the Original 5 coming to our present time, and Uncanny is about Scott's team. The others are okay, but those two are amazing.
I remember something about the original five being in the present day (a young Jean Grey was walking around). There was also a version of Angel who'd lost his mind who had been enrolled in Wolverine's Prof X/Jean Grey tribute school (but I can't recall if he was the old Angel or if he came from somewhere else). Who's on Scott's team now? What happened immediate post-Phoenix force incident?

sjmartin79

I remember something about the original five being in the present day (a young Jean Grey was walking around). There was also a version of Angel who'd lost his mind who had been enrolled in Wolverine's Prof X/Jean Grey tribute school (but I can't recall if he was the old Angel or if he came from somewhere else). Who's on Scott's team now? What happened immediate post-Phoenix force incident?
Yep, young Jean Grey is back and the Shi'ar captured her to stand trial for the Phoenix incident (of the Dark Phoenix Saga) which she was not responsible. She ended up kicking their ass.

The Angel that is mind-wiped is the Angel from our time. Something happened and he reverted to a 20-something and has his real wings. Doesn't remember a thing though.

Scott's team is holed up in the old Weapon X facility. They include: Scott, Emma, Magneto, Magik, and his new band of students, including the Stepfords.
Kitty is leading the Original 5 from the past and she took them and they are living with Scott's team.

Wolverine (now deceased) has a team of: Storm, Nightcrawler, Iceman, and others.
There's also a full women team of Storm, Jubilee, Psylocke, Monet, and someone else.

Post Phoenix Incident:
Scott was arrested for the crimes they all committed including killing Xavier. Magneto and Magik busted him out. Everyone but Magik that was part of the 5 are having issues with their powers, including Magneto who was hit with a Phoenix Blast.
There was a mini-Civil War like break with Wolverine's team and Scott's team. Scott became the the face of the Mutant Revolution.
Post Phoenix, things got very interesting.
Also, Captain America got Havok to form an Avengers Unity Squad made up of Avengers and X-Men. Wolverine, Rogue, and Sunspot joined the team.

repomech

@sjmartin79
So wait, did I read that correctly?, Kitty took the original five, broke with the formerly Wolvie faction and joined Scott?! I guess that put her and Bobby's romance on ice. (zing!) What are the objectives of Scott's faction at this time?

sjmartin79

Yep, Kitty didn't like how Wolverine's group handled the Original 5 and she felt it was her responsibility to train these kids and keep Prof X's dream alive. Bobby and she fought, and she took the kids and left.
Scott's main goal is to find the kids who mutant powers are just coming out and rescuing them from people that "hate and fear them", and bring them back to his "New Xavier's School" and train them and prepare them for the fight to come. Scott believes there is a war coming, and he wants to be prepared.
Where Wolverine's group is more about a safe haven and training and coexistence.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
From Weird Mysteries #8 (1954):

The narrator at the top left corner of this first page is very reminiscent of EC's GhouLunatics.

She must have been exhausted from all that walking.

That's only the second time he's startled her.

There is no blood on that axe.

His mom looks like Granny Goodness!

She's pretty intact for a girl who has been hacked apart by an axe, or is she?

From Weird Vol. 9 #2 (1976):

The shadow around his mouth makes him appear to have a mustache.

Did Frank just offer to buy her a soda?

At least we see where he got the axe this time.

Good thing it didn't stop raining after he dismembered Mary - I mean Susan.

Shouldn't "of your killing susan" be "of you killing susan?"

What a milktoast!

Personally, I prefer the original's "less is more" approach to the story; however, some of you might like the gory 70s remake more. Despite its "gore for gore's sake" mentality, I do feel that the second version's facial expressions are better overall. I'm curious about which of the two tales you guys think is best and your reason(s) for choosing one over the other.

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
For $15 i got a comic book that I used to own when i was a kid, but has since been lost. The only trace of it that i could find was the cover, but now even that too has gone missing. All of this is inconsequential now that I have a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #189 in my grimy mitts once again.

Scan0110.jpg

The feeling of joy to once again have the above comic in my hands pales in comparison to my relishing of the fact that I now have in my possession an original pre-code horror comic book published by EC in the 1950s, making it simultaneously the oldest and rarest specimen in my collection.

This is what 20 bucks bought moi:

Scan0119.jpg Scan0120.jpg

Last edited:

Cubits

I couldn't bring myself to start collecting paper copies again, it would cause a dangerously expensive descent into collect-o-mania!

I'm happy enough with comixology, although they're oddly missing things like the last volume of the original frank miller daredevil run.

I was thinking of hitting up marvel unlimited since they're where i get most of my mainstream enjoyment, but i'm not sure how full their collection is, or why there also needs to be a digital storefront (is that only for brand new releases?).

sjmartin79

I feel ya, but apparently now is a pretty good time...all new Marvel universe, all new Batman (spoilers, obviously).
I'm really interested to see what the new Marvel Universe will look like once this Summer Event is over and the dust has settled. The interim, for the X-Men, looks like they'll be revisiting some of the most popular crossovers in their history.

So anyone following Marvel comics at the moment? Secret Wars and all that?

All I'm reading from them at the moment is Deadpool (just finished his run actually) and Hawkeye (whose issues keep getting delayed and delayed). Oh, and I read the first collection of Ms. Marvel.

I don't get what's happening, and I guess that's because I'm limited in the grand scheme of Marvel.

SPOILERS

At the end of Deadpool, the Earth collides with another Earth, and literally everyone died. What happens? How is Marvel continuing from that? I looked it up on Wikipedia, and the amount of titles and past story arcs that are involved is bonkers!

So is Hawkeye dead too? But he has a new run going on now even before Aja's run is finished. Same with Ms Marvel? How does her story continue?

And my sister recommends Spider Gwen, an alternate universe where Gwen Stacy gets bitten by the spider, is she invovled?

My head.....jesus Marvel.

This is my problem with comics. This Deadpool run was great overall, but issues 20 something to 30 something all involved cross overs with Axis and Original Sin, so I always felt I was missing something. One issue ends with him about to fight Apocalypse, but the next issue cuts over it cause it was documented in some other comic arc. Why can't I just read Deadpool and be content on that.

That's why I'm loving Hawkeye, cause it's JUST Hawkeye.

rabble rabble oh whatever,

I would just like some help clearing up this stuff.

sjmartin79

Marvel felt that between the 60+ year history, the Ultimate Universe, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it was time for a reboot. From what I understand, once all is said and done, this will be a great jumping on point for new Marvel fans that got interested because of the movies but were too overwhelmed by so much history and felt lost. Also, it gives the writers a chance to break new ground and not be tied to (good or bad) decisions of the past. You've got some characters with 60+ years of history, and the writers have to stay true to a lot of that, and it hinders some of the things they can do with new storylines.

Currently, when the two worlds (Regular and Ultimate Universe) collided, everyone "died", but they were transported to a new place and now it's a combination they are referring to as Battle World that will be some new things, so continuations of stories from the past (like an Inferno 20 years later story), and some writers wet dreams of what they want to do with the characters. Battleworld things will run for a few months, then we'll get the official reboot.

(This is from what I've been able to piece together.)

As for cross-over storylines, they've been going on for years. Recently, my X-Men crossed over with Guardians. I don't read Guardians, but I wanted to know what happened next with my X-Men, so I picked up (or downloaded) the Guardians issue. If you want the full story, that's what you do.
Similarly if some people watch The Arrow not not The Flash, if there is a cross over and you don't watch both shows, you'll miss out on some things.

I had the opposite problem. I was reading Guardians when they crossed over with X-men.

But volume 2 of Guardians wasn't good, so I stopped reading them. Volume 1 of Ms. Marvel was good, but I'm not sure what's gonna happen to her after this whole Secret Wars thing.

Oh well. I just want that last issue of Hawkeye...

Read Hellboy: Seed of Destruction last night. It was pretty good, but once the villian started explaining his shit, it started losing me. I enjoyed it enough that I'll buy Wake the Devil soon, but I'm wondering if anyone has read the Hellboy series. Does it go uphill from here? Or is Volume 1 pretty much the peak already or is each issue just the same format over and over.

Went to the comic store today and picked up Kraven's Last Hunt and Old Man Logan.

Just finished Old Man Logan and boy was I missing out. No way they're do that for Wolverine 3. Hawkeye, Hulk, Red Skull, etc, aren't owned by Fox. Even if they replace the characters with other mutants, I just don't know if I see them doing it true to the story. We just had Days of Future Past to "fix" the movies, if they do this as the new future, I think it'll confused or upset the average movie goer.

Also, the end fight scene, can't see them doing that part.

I still really enjoyed it though Bub

Odo

It seems to me that they're getting rid of that jeans superman with DC rebirth.

I'm really thinking about buying comics again.

sjmartin79

I've got my list down to 4 books a month I read. That's much better than back in the 90s when I was reading 10 a month easily.
I get all mine digitally now.

I have thousands from the 80s and 90s bagged/boarded/boxed in safe keeping to sell someday.

Odo

If I had a pull list, I would put the new Black Panther and Swamp Thing books on it.
Thanks for the tip.

I've got my list down to 4 books a month I read. That's much better than back in the 90s when I was reading 10 a month easily.
I get all mine digitally now.

I have thousands from the 80s and 90s bagged/boarded/boxed in safe keeping to sell someday.
Back in the days, digital didn't exist and it was a problem for me.

I remember when I wanted to buy the Death of Superman but I couldn't.

Now everything is there on the DC app. That's amazing.

I tried to buy comics some years ago but I found it too overwhelming. Now, with all those movies and series, I'd like to get into it again. Plus the DC rebirth I think is the best chance I got to start again.

All those earth-2 stuff going on in The Flash series made me wanted to understand how the multiverse works and all their crisis.

I'm reading now:

sjmartin79

I'm more of a Marvel guy myself. (Though I do watch Arrow, The Flash, and Supergirl)

Marvel just got rid of all their Multiverses and now we have only one new continuity/universe, and it was a good jumping off point for new readers, but still history for the faithful.

Edit: Back in the 90s/00s, I was very lucky to have an amazing salesperson at the comic store I liked that had a pull list for me, and would also do special pulls for me when their were crossovers and special events if it related to the series I got on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Odo

I'm more of a Marvel guy myself. (Though I do watch Arrow, The Flash, and Supergirl)

Marvel just got rid of all their Multiverses and now we have only one new continuity/universe, and it was a good jumping off point for new readers, but still history for the faithful.

Edit: Back in the 90s/00s, I was very lucky to have an amazing salesperson at the comic store I liked that had a pull list for me, and would also do special pulls for me when their were crossovers and special events if it related to the series I got on a regular basis.
DC did that but they have the multiverse back again. I like it even though it's quite complex.

There are only one earth in them Marvel universe? All the mutants drama of X-Men is going on in the same country of the Avengers?