The Comic Books Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
DC did that but they have the multiverse back again. I like it even though it's quite complex.

There are only one earth in them Marvel universe? All the mutants drama of X-Men is going on in the same country of the Avengers?
From what I understand, yes.
But the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including TV) and the Marvel Comics Universe are two separate entities.
But in the comics, yes, the Avengers and the X-Men run into each other all the time. There was a huge storyline of them working together right before the multiverse collapsed.

Odo

From what I understand, yes.
But the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including TV) and the Marvel Comics Universe are two separate entities.
But in the comics, yes, the Avengers and the X-Men run into each other all the time. There was a huge storyline of them working together right before the multiverse collapsed.
X-Men is my favourite from Marvel, but I'm not following it these days.

Wow. So the people and the gov have all that drama against mutants but they love the super heroes? Why?

sjmartin79

X-Men are my favorites as well.

It seems that since the Avengers work with SHIELD and thus in a sense work for the government, over the years they have become beloved like rock stars.

While the feelings against the X-Men hasn't really changed. It's still a world that fears and hates them.

Even when the X-Men save the world, they never get the credit they deserve, but if Captain America gets a cat out of a tree, it's like he stopped global destruction.

When one of the Avengers goes bad or does something bad, people seem quicker to forgive. When the X-Men do something bad, it gets highly publicized and somehow confirms what the public always thought.

Personally, I've always felt it was hypocritical.

Forgot to mention that a little while ago I read Matt Fraction's Iron Fist run. He did a Hawkeye run it remains one of my favorite comic runs to date. I was interested in Iron Fist when him and Luke Cage had a crossover with Deadpool, and once I learnt Fraction did Iron Fist as well, I immediately bought volume 1 of The Immortal Iron Fist. It was pretty good, but Danny Rand is very similar to Clint Barton. Hell, they even look the same. Still, it was different then most other super hero comics. It was more like a kung-fu noir fantasy mash up.

And today I finished up Kraven's Last Hunt. Fucking badass. The artwork by Mike Zeck is amazing. I could frame almost every panel on my wall.

Next up on my wishlist is either Garth Ennis' Welcome Back Frank (Punisher) or start the mini-series Spiderman Gauntlet.

Odo

X-Men are my favorites as well.

It seems that since the Avengers work with SHIELD and thus in a sense work for the government, over the years they have become beloved like rock stars.

While the feelings against the X-Men hasn't really changed. It's still a world that fears and hates them.

Even when the X-Men save the world, they never get the credit they deserve, but if Captain America gets a cat out of a tree, it's like he stopped global destruction.

When one of the Avengers goes bad or does something bad, people seem quicker to forgive. When the X-Men do something bad, it gets highly publicized and somehow confirms what the public always thought.

Personally, I've always felt it was hypocritical.
Yeah, sure. This is so weird how people don't get the X-Men and SHIELD does nothing about it. I mean they don't need to add them to the Avengers, but even the gov love the heroes and dislike the mutants.

Of course I don't know what's Xavier's opinion.

sjmartin79

Yeah, unfortunately, I think he is currently dead for good. But you know how that is, some of the bigger characters never stay dead.

I hope they bring him back some day as well.

Jean Grey has been dead longer than he has, but we currently have 1960s Original X-Men in our present, so there is a Jean Grey alive and interacting with the X-Men.
We'll see what becomes of the final fate of Xavier. There are currently no other universes to pull an Xavier from, but something could happen an 1960s Xavier could find his way to the present.

Odo

Do you think it's all right to understand everything that's going on in the Marvel universe? I'm asking this because I always see people complaining about this and it's one of the reasons that prevent me to get into it. DC's got easier to understand since N52 started, but I don't know about Marvel's current situation.

Comics used to be a lot like "read this this and this to understand that"

sjmartin79

Honestly, I think with the current reset on the Marvel Universe, it's never been a better time to get into it.
And if there are only certain titles that you're interested in, just focus on those. Because even though it is one big universe, it is still segmented unless there is a cross-over. I stick to the X-Men books, unless there's a cross-over, and when that happens, I do quick google search or wikipedia search if I'm confused, but usually they do a good job of explaining what's going on with both sides.

So, my advice, ignore those complaining that you have to know everything going on. I don't think you need to. Pick the books that interest you and go from there. You'll feel caught up before you know it. But if you can, definitely go back and start with the #1 issues since the reset. Like, if you are wanting to read Uncanny X-men, go back to Uncanny X-Men 1. We're only on #5 or 6 right now.

Odo

Honestly, I think with the current reset on the Marvel Universe, it's never been a better time to get into it.
And if there are only certain titles that you're interested in, just focus on those. Because even though it is one big universe, it is still segmented unless there is a cross-over. I stick to the X-Men books, unless there's a cross-over, and when that happens, I do quick google search or wikipedia search if I'm confused, but usually they do a good job of explaining what's going on with both sides.

So, my advice, ignore those complaining that you have to know everything going on. I don't think you need to. Pick the books that interest you and go from there. You'll feel caught up before you know it. But if you can, definitely go back and start with the #1 issues since the reset. Like, if you are wanting to read Uncanny X-men, go back to Uncanny X-Men 1. We're only on #5 or 6 right now.
Nice!

DC is also easier to follow since the flashpoint and convergence resets.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
This is my second-ever pre-code horror purchase and also my second comic of this age that has now become detached from its cover. Oh well, at least it only cost me a buck to own and it is 63 years old after all.

Scan0171.jpg
Scan0173.jpg
Scan0172.jpg

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
So I went to a store yesterday with my Dad that I would describe as the "Walmart of collectibles" because it was so freaking huge! They were having a special sale on account of their 25th anniversary. I ended up getting The Witching Hour #1, which was very overpriced at $50, but once I found out it was 75% off, making it only $12.50 plus tax, I just couldn't pass up such a great deal!

Published: February-March 1969
Cover Artist: Nick Cardy

Scan0184.jpg

Last edited:

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I was talking to @EvilTw1n a couple of weeks back about my favourite Marvel comic when I was growing up in the 80's - ROM: Spaceknight. It was an often quite dark horror/sci-fi/superhero comic that was set, for the most part, on earth (in West Virginia, no less) but its space opera backdrop took it outside those confines. It featured a cybernetic "spaceknight" from another world who could not assume his natural form again until he had exterminated a malicious species known as the dire wraiths (they would drill into your skull with their tongues suck the body down to a husk and then assume the form of their victim). It was an incredible comic series, and it crossed over with a number of other Marvel series - with the wraiths even becoming a significant enemy of the X-Men (another 80's favourite of mine). Between myself and a friend who was also into the series we had nearly all the issues (enough to complete the over-arching story), but I think I may finish off my collection and give it a re-read.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I first became interested in collecting all 75 issues of ROM in August of 2014. Since then, I have acquired the following:

Scan0189.jpg
Scan0190.jpg
Scan0191.jpg
Scan0197.jpg
Scan0192.jpg
Scan0193.jpg
Scan0194.jpg
Scan0195.jpg

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I was talking to @EvilTw1n a couple of weeks back about my favourite Marvel comic when I was growing up in the 80's - ROM: Spaceknight. It was an often quite dark horror/sci-fi/superhero comic that was set, for the most part, on earth (in West Virginia, no less) but its space opera backdrop took it outside those confines. It featured a cybernetic "spaceknight" from another world who could not assume his natural form again until he had exterminated a malicious species known as the dire wraiths (they would drill into your skull with their tongues suck the body down to a husk and then assume the form of their victim). It was an incredible comic series, and it crossed over with a number of other Marvel series - with the wraiths even becoming a significant enemy of the X-Men (another 80's favourite of mine). Between myself and a friend who was also into the series we had nearly all the issues (enough to complete the over-arching story), but I think I may finish off my collection and give it a re-read.

WOW!!! I remember my brother havin this comic and it freaking me out with that tounge to the brain.

I never knew the name or even what I was exavtly looking at I was so young. You just gave me an extreme blast to the past. Now lookin at it, it looks bad to the bone. I was much to young to understand it, I just looked because the pics freaked me out.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I very recently won all six of these in one fell swoop via an eBay auction for $21.51 and $4.99 shipping:

Scan0204.jpg
Scan0200.jpg
Scan0199.jpg
Scan0201.jpg
Scan0203.jpg
Scan0202.jpg

Last edited:

Socar

I read all the comics that my bro bought for me from US.

1. Daredevil vol 1 & 2
2. The origin of Joker(didn't get the name right but the art is done by Frank miller)
3. Squee!
4. The Maxx
5. Tintin vol 2(or vol 1 not sure)

I gave all but tintin to my boss who wanted to read them for some odd reason. Also didn't mention that I even read some Sonic comics as well and I'll admit, they are pretty good.

Odo

I've been reading Injustice and the Crisis of the Infinity Earths. I buy them digitally.

Crisis was cool, but it was sad for Supergirl and Earth 2 Superman :(

Aki

Went out and bought some comics today and, oddly enough, it was national comic day or free comic day, one of the two. I bought the following:

The Secret Empire (2017) #1 - It's been building for months, across a bevy of titles! But now, the moment has arrived for Steve Rogers to step into the light and declare his allegiance to Hydra! How can the heroes of the Marvel Universe cope with this shattering betrayal by the most trusted figure among them? And what will this mean for the world? The map of the Marvel Universe changes in ways nobody will expect — TRUST THE SECRET EMPIRE!

X-Men: Gold (2017) #2 - STORM. COLOSSUS. NIGHTCRAWLER. OLD MAN LOGAN. PRESTIGE. These X-Men are on a mission to be Earth's finest heroes, even when that means defending those who hate and fear them. Brought to you by an all-star creative team of Marc Guggenheim (X-MEN, S.H.I.E.L.D., television's Arrow) and Ardian Syaf (BATGIRL, SUPERMAN/BATMAN, BRIGHTEST DAY), a new beginning for the strangest heroes of all starts here!

X-Men: Gold (2017) #3 - The CLIMACTIC SHOWDOWN between the X-MEN and the new BROTHERHOOD OF EVIL MUTANTS! Who will be left standing after the world's mightiest mutants throw down? And when the dust settles, not everything is as it seems...

and I also bought a grab bag for $12 that had 6 comics in it...

Superman Unchained (2013) #1
- When thirteen satellites fall from the sky in one day, the logical suspect is Lex Luthor—even though he’s still locked up in prison! But a stranger question remains: If Superman didn’t stop the last satellite from falling, who did? There’s a mystery hidden where even Superman can’t see it—Can The Man of Steel drag a decades-old secret into the light?

Batman Europa #1 - Berlin (2016) - The impossible has happened and Batman is on the verge of being taken down by an enemy he cannot defeat: a virus for which there is no cure! And the only hope for his salvation is The Joker! Who infected Batman, what does the Clown Prince of Crime know, and how will the Dark Knight get that information? Together, the enemies crisscross Europe, desperate to find answers before time runs out.

The Movement (2013) #1 - We are faceless. We are limitless. We see all. And we do not forgive.

We are faceless. We are limitless. We see all. And we do not forgive.

Who defends the powerless against the GREEDY and the CORRUPT? Who protects the homeless and poverty-stricken from those who would PREY upon them in the DARK OF NIGHT?

When those who are sworn to protect us abuse their power, when toxic government calls down super-human lackeys to force order upon the populace...finally, there is a force, a citizen’s army, to push order BACK.

Let those who abuse the system know this as well: We have our OWN super humans now. They are not afraid of your badges or Leagues. And they will not be SILENCED.

We are your neighbors. We are your co-workers. And we are your children.

Invincible Iron Man (2015-2016) Vol. 1: Reboot - One of the most popular super heroes in the world soars to fresh heights! Tony Stark has a new armor, a new supporting cast, new villains and a new purpose that's going to tear itself across the entire Marvel Universe and beyond. It begins with a shocker of a twist and only gets more surprising from there, with the return of one of Tony's biggest nemeses and the quest to find his biological parents! As Iron Man chases Madame Masque, her actions threaten to rip all of reality apart! Shellhead's incredible armor will be put through its paces in a story that will shock and awe — but it is who exactly Tony teams up with that will have everyone talking.

Secret Wars (2015-2016) #1 - The final incursion is happening! The Marvel Universe is colliding with the Ultimate Universe, and neither will survive!

Illuminati (2015-) #1 - "Bad guys win every day... why not us?" How do the villains of the Marvel Universe live in a world where the sky is constantly filled with heroes? What do they do when they want out of that life? There is no escape. No future. Who saves the villains? The Hood believes he might be that savior. He wants everyone to have a place at the table. Now all he needs to do is build his army. Featuring Titania, Mad Thinker, Thunderball, Black Ant and Enchantress, Illuminati is a tale of villains just trying to survive in the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Went out and bought some comics today and, oddly enough, it was national comic day or free comic day, one of the two. I bought the following:

The Secret Empire (2017) #1 - It's been building for months, across a bevy of titles! But now, the moment has arrived for Steve Rogers to step into the light and declare his allegiance to Hydra! How can the heroes of the Marvel Universe cope with this shattering betrayal by the most trusted figure among them? And what will this mean for the world? The map of the Marvel Universe changes in ways nobody will expect — TRUST THE SECRET EMPIRE!

X-Men: Gold (2017) #2 - STORM. COLOSSUS. NIGHTCRAWLER. OLD MAN LOGAN. PRESTIGE. These X-Men are on a mission to be Earth's finest heroes, even when that means defending those who hate and fear them. Brought to you by an all-star creative team of Marc Guggenheim (X-MEN, S.H.I.E.L.D., television's Arrow) and Ardian Syaf (BATGIRL, SUPERMAN/BATMAN, BRIGHTEST DAY), a new beginning for the strangest heroes of all starts here!

X-Men: Gold (2017) #3 - The CLIMACTIC SHOWDOWN between the X-MEN and the new BROTHERHOOD OF EVIL MUTANTS! Who will be left standing after the world's mightiest mutants throw down? And when the dust settles, not everything is as it seems...

Superman Unchained (2013) #1 - When thirteen satellites fall from the sky in one day, the logical suspect is Lex Luthor—even though he’s still locked up in prison! But a stranger question remains: If Superman didn’t stop the last satellite from falling, who did? There’s a mystery hidden where even Superman can’t see it—Can The Man of Steel drag a decades-old secret into the light?

Batman Europa #1 - Berlin (2016) - The impossible has happened and Batman is on the verge of being taken down by an enemy he cannot defeat: a virus for which there is no cure! And the only hope for his salvation is The Joker! Who infected Batman, what does the Clown Prince of Crime know, and how will the Dark Knight get that information? Together, the enemies crisscross Europe, desperate to find answers before time runs out.
Love the new X-Men blue and X-Men gold

Aki

Love the new X-Men blue and X-Men gold
I haven't read Blue, but Gold has been money so far. Today's current political environment is an excellent source of material for X-Men. If you're into Marvel, I'd recommend checking out the Secret Empire as well. I've read the prologue and the first issue and it's very good so far.

Odo

Superman Unchained (2013) #1 - When thirteen satellites fall from the sky in one day, the logical suspect is Lex Luthor—even though he’s still locked up in prison! But a stranger question remains: If Superman didn’t stop the last satellite from falling, who did? There’s a mystery hidden where even Superman can’t see it—Can The Man of Steel drag a decades-old secret into the light?

The Movement (2013) #1 - We are faceless. We are limitless. We see all. And we do not forgive.

We are faceless. We are limitless. We see all. And we do not forgive.

Who defends the powerless against the GREEDY and the CORRUPT? Who protects the homeless and poverty-stricken from those who would PREY upon them in the DARK OF NIGHT?

When those who are sworn to protect us abuse their power, when toxic government calls down super-human lackeys to force order upon the populace...finally, there is a force, a citizen’s army, to push order BACK.

Let those who abuse the system know this as well: We have our OWN super humans now. They are not afraid of your badges or Leagues. And they will not be SILENCED.

We are your neighbors. We are your co-workers. And we are your children.

Invincible Iron Man (2015-2016) Vol. 1: Reboot - One of the most popular super heroes in the world soars to fresh heights! Tony Stark has a new armor, a new supporting cast, new villains and a new purpose that's going to tear itself across the entire Marvel Universe and beyond. It begins with a shocker of a twist and only gets more surprising from there, with the return of one of Tony's biggest nemeses and the quest to find his biological parents! As Iron Man chases Madame Masque, her actions threaten to rip all of reality apart! Shellhead's incredible armor will be put through its paces in a story that will shock and awe — but it is who exactly Tony teams up with that will have everyone talking.

Secret Wars (2015-2016) #1 - The final incursion is happening! The Marvel Universe is colliding with the Ultimate Universe, and neither will survive!

Illuminati (2015-) #1 - "Bad guys win every day... why not us?" How do the villains of the Marvel Universe live in a world where the sky is constantly filled with heroes? What do they do when they want out of that life? There is no escape. No future. Who saves the villains? The Hood believes he might be that savior. He wants everyone to have a place at the table. Now all he needs to do is build his army. Featuring Titania, Mad Thinker, Thunderball, Black Ant and Enchantress, Illuminati is a tale of villains just trying to survive in the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe.
Nice ones, I heard good things about Superman Unchained.

Aki

Picked up some new comics today, all Marvel, and a new X-Men Blue themed storage box.

Marvel Graphic Comic Box

X-Men: Gold (Reprint) (2017)#1 - FROM THE ASHES OF INHUMANS VS X-MEN, AN ALL-NEW TEAM OF X-MEN RISES! Xavier’s dream comes full circle as KITTY PRYDE takes the reins and assembles a squad of the most iconic X-Men to fight at her side. STORM. COLOSSUS. NIGHTCRAWLER. OLD MAN LOGAN. PRESTIGE. They are X-MEN GOLD! And they’re on a mission to be Earth’s finest heroes, even when that means defending those who hate and fear them. Brought to you by an all-star creative team of Marc Guggenheim (X-MEN, S.H.I.E.L.D., television’s Arrow) and Ardian Syaf (BATGIRL, SUPERMAN/BATMAN, BRIGHTEST DAY), a new beginning for the strangest heroes of all starts here!

X-Men: Blue (2017)#1 - THE ORIGINALS! Join MARVEL GIRL, CYCLOPS, BEAST, ICEMAN and ANGEL as they reclaim the title of X-MEN. After the world-shaking events of IVX, the original five X-Men are here to bring mutant criminals to justice and restore a heroic sheen to their team. But with a new leader in JEAN GREY and a new mentor in their “arch-frenemy” MAGNETO, will old rivalries and new conflicts tear these heroes apart?

X-Men: Blue (2017)#2
- WHAT IS MAGNETO HIDING? MAGNETO has joined the X-MEN, but due to their long history, not everyone on the team trusts him…especially not JEAN GREY. With tensions rising between teammates, can the X-MEN come together to be a cohesive force for good? Or will ulterior motives and personal quests derail the entire enterprise? At the end of the day…who can be trusted?

X-Men: Blue (2017)#3
- A CLASSIC X-MEN STORY…WITH A TWIST! Double ships every month! The X-MEN and SENTINELS get along like a house on fire…until the X-Men meet a group of Sentinels asking for help. What could these old foes want? And where do they come from? And why are they calling themselves…mutants?

Old Man Logan (2016)#24 - PAST LIVES CONTINUES! LOGAN is still trapped in time...one minute he’s PATCH, stalking the streets of MADRIPOOR, the next, he’s reliving the glory days in the X-MEN. Meanwhile, back in the present, ASMODEUS’ true plan for Logan’s trapped body is revealed! Can Logan fight his way back before the plan succeeds?

The Amazing Spider-Man (2015)#27 - “THE OSBORN IDENTITY” PART 3! Norman Osborn has slowly worked his way to a position of power in the Eastern European nation of Symkaria, and now has a goblin-ized army behind him. With Symkarian hero Silver Sable at his side, Spider-Man has all the forces and weaponry that Parker Industries can gather to take the battle to Norman. SPIDER-ARMY VS. GOBLIN ARMY!

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I now have ten 1950's war comics! I started collecting them with the first two seen here and above and picked out the tenth one as a Christmas gift from my parents. I found myself a nice little niche inside my favorite hobby. This pre-code genre is more affordable than horror or crime but just as violent and scary. I managed to buy half in person while the other half were good deals I found on eBay. I own five that were put out by Atlas (Marvel), two from E.C. and DC respectively and a single Fawcett. Sometimes the hardest part can be just locating the issues I want. Once I track them down it becomes a matter of price, condition, and scarcity. I buy the stuff published during the Korean War because the books from the Forties cost more than I'm comfortable spending on collectibles at the moment. I could sure get something truly special by saving up for it! Maybe a flamethrower cover?

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
My third Frontline Combat and first issue of Two-Fisted Tales, EC's other war title, from the same seller as the other two issues of FC arrived yesterday evening! Those are in much better shape but these are World War I covers done by Wally Wood and Geroge Evans. Plus, I do not know of very many Golden Age war comics with Germans on them that are not Nazi stormtroopers!

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
My dad and I went to a local collectibles store's smaller sister location on Sunday during their closing sale. The comics there were 87.5% off, meaning that two $200 pre-code horror comics such as Mystery Tales #7 and Journey into Mystery #10, which would normally be half-priced, were now only 25 bucks each plus sales tax! Both books were published by Atlas (Marvel) in 1953. The first one has extra staples and the second is considered incomplete because the coupon clipped affects the art in one of its stories.

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
At the end of last month, I won my fourteenth pre-code war comic on eBay for 35 bucks because no one else bid against me on this copy of All-American Men of War #10! It is valued at $38 in the 47th Edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide that I got for Christmas. This is my third issue of this title and my third book with a cover by Jerry Grandenetti added to my collection.

Last edited:

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I went to a small local show last month. I asked one dealer there that I had bought from in the past if he had any war comics and to my surprise, he said that he did and to look in his boxes of cheaper stuff because that genre doesn't sell too well for him. The actual prices were written on the back of the bag. Never would I have expected to pull out of one box this All-American man of War #8. I could not believe it was only $20 as I had been considering making an offer on the same book that was on eBay for fifty bucks! I knew it was worth at least that much. Irv Novick also did the cover for the next issue which was the first one I purchased.

Last edited: