The Community World Map

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Hi everyone!I brought this up in CT earlier and people seemed to like the idea so I thought I'd go ahead and dedicate a thread to it.This is (or will be) the map of Nintendo Enthusiasts around the world:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...098777671193.0004dbe34fb1d75f6ae44&dg=feature

Before I go any further I should explain some safety precautions you should take.Unless you are 100% comfortable with strangers knowing your location, do not put your actual address on the map as it will be accessible to anyone who follows the link. It is completely fine to put a general location down. For example, I live somewhere in the Gold Coast, QLD, Australia, so I dropped the pin of my location on the exact spot the map says Gold Coast, rather than my home address. It's ok to drop your pin on the name of the city, state or even country if that's what you're comfortable with.
This is not really to know what the exact location of everyone is, but rather to have a visual representation of our spread throughout the world, because we have a fairly diverse community.Follow the link to the map and if you have a Google account you can hit edit and add a pin where you want to. If you don't have a Google account or can't drop a pin for any other reason, look at the map and figure out where you want your pin dropped and comment below saying where you'd like it dropped and someone else or I will put it on the map for you.
When there are more members on there, I'll save the map as an image and put it in this thread to show others what we're talking about. Thanks to everyone who participates in this, I think it will be a really cool visual representation of our community!Thanks to @bigwomble for inspiring this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving your work buddy.....lookin good so far. This should be compulsory IMO....community feel etc....makes me kinda smile....we actually are from all over. Gold coast oz, I should be ripping into you as is the Brit/oz way...man this is ace. More attention needed. Juegos is the only one awake it seems...where is everybody

EthanGK

Thanks womble :D Couldn't have done it without you throwing the ideas out there! I can't wait to see it more complete! Hahaha I'm immune from your "ripping", I'm first generation Australian, both of my parents are British :> Although half of my family is English, the other half is Welsh, so I'm the personification of rivalry in that respect. It's going pretty well now, we have seven pins which is a good start :D @Cubits needs to get in on the action so Australia isn't left behind! Thanks for adding your name, Aces! Yeah, putting your address is inadvisable at best even if you're ok with the address knowing where you live, this is the internet and anyone can see this. Then again, some people are comfortable with that. I didn't put my actual address but it would probably be easy to find out anyway if for some reason somebody wanted to know :p

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I have made my approximate location available for your viewing pleasure. Please don't stalk me, k thx bai!

EthanGK

Damn, this map is looking good. Thanks so much to everyone who's participated so far :D DarkDepths, I found some weird stuff in your garbage bin. Also, ever heard of recycling? There's cardboard packaging and aluminium cans in here!
Also, didn't realise you could change what the pins look like. There's a bunch of colours and pictures, should we make each person a different one so looking at the key on the side we can see who everyone is? While in edit mode, click on your name and then click the pin for options if you want to change yours. If you guys think it would be better for display purposes, I might change the pins :)EDIT: Ok, I'm going to try it out, if anyone thinks it's hideous let me know and I'll change it back. Also feel free to change your pin to something you'd prefer.

This is ace...I'm still having trouble as its not the most intuitive setup even for a geek!! Thought Google might have nailed it...I will now go back and add Sknygy in...I categorised him as a hairdresser but then realised i wasn't on the NE map...shhhhhhh!!!! :-OI appreciate your cander in this matter, cough!

@EthanGK
Why can't one drop pins? Are using another program/app...map maker for example?! It says its open to edit but there are no tools evident to edit?!

EthanGK

There he is! Damn that funny-shaped island is densely populated with Nintendo Enthusiasts. Four on this map. Judging from the size of the place that's at least 10% of the population.Thanks for helping to get this map off the ground, it's looking awesome :D
EDIT: Oh God, McCain Smiles (that's what they're called here) have taken over that funny little island... oh well.

only an issue when we have overlap although ok when you zoom in. This is now ace....officially. I would now push for a story on the site......SKNNNNNNNN!!!! WE HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!!!
The tip of Northern Greenland is looking Equidistant for our get together Party?! In for a penny in for a pound they say!!! Although....If we take into account Australlia, maybe North East Russia?! m/

Funny little island!! Lol, we barbarians used to run the world from this place ya know?! McCain Smiles are god like creations and one had a similar shaped head to me, hence my icon!!

You cheeky bugger, you guys are British....sort of. Well, although if we're entering into a typical Brit/Oz conversation , aren't all you lot thieves and blaggards?!! :-" 8-X B-) :x

EthanGK

:> Yup we're chock full of convicts. In fact, we have so many, we're thinking of sending some to that weird little island. Surely it most be mostly unoccupied, nobody in their right mind would live there.

There's a slight problem with the icons being on the map. They're great, but now someone is hidden under Skyngy's beautiful face. Is there a way to shrink them, maybe?

I think they're standard sizes.....maybe though....although I just swiped them from Facebook which may have auto sized them. Will work on it?! On the subject of sending some back, that's why we got rid of you lot in the first place. Apparently we're content to fill the place with Islamic extremists only I'm afraid!? Also, If you guys take your the inhabited places of your Country and ignore the empty bit in the middle, you're like a hula hoop!! :)) =;

Doesn't seem to change. I've tried uploading resized images to both facebook and dropbox but to no avail. Think there were sharing issues. I don't have any other image accounts. We're used to living in close proximity over here anyway. If you zoom in though we're not as close as you think. The USA ones are so far apart it doesn't matter, we will have this issue over here

EthanGK

You either have to it through a Google account or having someone else drop it. You could make a Google account with your NE name if you wanted, that's what I did, it took a few seconds. An alternative would be you could say where you want you pin dropped like ninja did and someone will put one there for you :)
@bigwomble I think because of the large size of the icons (I don't know why Google didn't add a resizing option) we're going to have to stick to pins. We want it to be a world map and from zoomed out, we can't see you at all now and if @running_in_jam added his icon the whole UK would be a blobfish and nobody would see you guys. The icons are still in the images, so we can change them back easily if we figure out a way so it isn't obstructive. I much prefer having icons because they represent people better than pins but they ruin the map. Out of the four people in the UK we can see one pin and one icon :( Hahaha it isn't even a donut, it would be two separate chunks of land because nobody lives in the middle strip, even along the coast xD

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
To add yourself, you have to click "Edit". Then, on the actual map view, a button appears that lets you place a marker. You click on the map, enter the details, and bobs your uncle. I just did it with my current Google account and then just put my username here as the title of the marker.

EthanGK

It sure is! I found another feature that allows more settings which I might attempt to use, but it seems I'd have to replicate the original manually so it might have to wait until I have the opportunity to get it all done in one sitting.

EthanGK

Making a new map on the advanced mapmaker for Google. It's much more accessible, you don't need an account to make it plus it's a generally nicer format.

Nice going E, agree reluctantly regarding the pictures. It's a Shame though as I also agree with your comment regarding our identity. The map thing is great though. I don't think many of the users have seen it either yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

EthanGK

I know, I loved the icons but it just wouldn't have worked out :( Finished making the new map. It has a wider variety of pins so it doesn't all get junked up by big pins of different shapes and sizes. You can now add your name to it without having an account. There's also the option of having nametags, which I thought I'd ask your opinion about. They overlap, so I dunno. What does everyone think? I'll attach images with and without the tagshttp://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/834/newlabels.pnghttp://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/16/newolabels.png
Might need to zoom in to get the effect. I didn't want to make the image larger because it breaks the scroll bars on the page :pI haven't tested custom icons because frankly I didn't know how, so I don't know what size they are on this new map.
Also some things that entertained me when dropping pins:mad:Sknygy heh heh you live in Maidenhead :p maid·en·head /ˈmādnˌhed/[table]

Noun[table][list type=decimal][*]Virginity.The hymen.[/list type=decimal]
@mattavelle1 You live in Nashville? Musical hero Jack White lives there. I couldn't ever live in Nashville because I'd be at the door of his house or record studio every day begging for a scrap of his talent.

[/table][/table]

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I live very close to Nashville not actually Nashville itself. It's a pretty awesome city. But yeah I'm not gonna put my home address there lol. Just something really close.

EthanGK

Yes, someone Australian make me less lonely :( I know there's a few of you on here, help me out!
Also, of the two images above, do you guys prefer the dots with labels or without? Once I know I'll replace the current version with that one, lock the current one and keep it in case of trolls.

How do we add our location?[list type=decimal][*]Find your location on the map[*]Press the red 'edit' button in the left hand toolbar[*]Press the blue marker at the top of the mapPut in you username and any other detailsPress Save and then done in the left hand toolbar[/list type=decimal]

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
How do we add our location?[list type=decimal][*]Find your location on the map[*]Press the red 'edit' button in the left hand toolbar[*]Press the blue marker at the top of the mapPut in you username and any other detailsPress Save and then done in the left hand toolbar[/list type=decimal]

Thank you