The Food thread.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So. Sukiyaki. You need to know about sukiyaki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukiyaki

Had some homemade sukiyaki last week. Noodles. Beef. Mushrooms. Tofu. Leafy vegetable of choice (cabbage was used this time, but I left that off my plate). Put in pot and simmer with soy sauce (this stuff was soy sauce plus sake, I think). Take what you want and pour over rice.

It's halfway between a stew and your typical "serve with rice" dish. And it's frickin' amazeballs. The tofu and noodles sop up the broth from the soy/sake and meat/mushroom reduction. Umami overload. Great end of winter meal. Make sure you eat it with at least a table of three, because this is a communal thing. It's the type of meal that makes you bond with people.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Well, remember that 5 pound bag of gummi bears? Yeah, I finished it about twenty minutes ago. I don't think I gained a total of five pounds, but probably close.

Shoulder

So it's been a few days since I've had my usual Bacon and Eggs, because I was too lazy to head to the grocery store. And oh man, it tasted SOOOOOOO good this morning.

I knew I made the right choice with bacon and eggs. You all should take the time every morning to do the same. It's therapeutic, and helps you wake up I think. Don't forget to add stuff to it for that extra added taste and spice, otherwise plain eggs get boring fter awhile.

YUMMY YUMMY!!!!!

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Ok, I'm long overdue for a post-vacation food report blow-out in this thread. That will be incoming in the near future. In the meantime...

@EvilTw1n

Sukiyaki is fantastic. Have you tried what I believe to be the world's ultimate hot-pot?: Sichuan regional style.

omfgsogood.

That bifurcated broth may burn your bowels the next day (only one side is spicy - the other, when present, tends to boast milder flavours like scallions, red dates etc.) , but it's completely worth it going down. Otherwise a similar drill... sliced meats, seafood, greens, bean curds, fungi, tubers, eggs, dumplings, noodles etc. often dipped afterwards into a range of possibilities (I personally love the minced garlic in oyster sauce/soy sauce and sesame oil).

@Majorbuddah Speaking of hot pot, I've been meaning to suggest that you give that a try as part of your workout regimen diet... ya know, before you go completely insane from the chicken-broccoli-brown rice trinity and take up residence with a roaming circus of porch dwelling skunks. Simple broth (on a day-to-day basis where you're aiming for fast and lean, avoid the oilier broths such as Sichuan, you could even go straight water or a beef broth), get some greens and sliced meats from a local Chinese grocery store (chicken, lamb, beef and pork are the staples - but seafood also works well). Put the broth in a pot and just flash boil everything. Remove it from the broth, eat right away (ready in a few minutes). You could have it with rice still or boil some yam along with it. It's tender and lean and you can flavour it with a small teaspoon of soy sauce and sesame oil. Good shit - I eat it frequently as a stop gap meal (can go for variety with Asian radishes, dumplings, eggs and so forth).

As for ramen, a touch late for your lunch (how did it go? what did you order?) - there's a ton of regional and national variety in how that is prepared (noodles and toppings are secondary to broth). The one that I get the impression is taking North America by storm in recent years is a Japanese (ramen soups are originally Chinese in origin but became popular food culture in Japan post-ww2 boasting a ton of distinct styles) tonkotsu broth (pork) often with pork belly, egg and scallion on top - this is @juegosmajicos 's recommendation, and it's really hard to see someone going wrong with this, it's really excellent. I'm also a big fan of Hokkaido style which tends to a heartier miso broth and is topped with some corn niblets and butter (in addition to the meat etc). I made a chicken-pork-soy sauce ramen broth for this week and ms mech and I have been rockin the ramen for dinners.

Hokkaido style.

EvilTw1n

You're killing me @repomech. I really need to start eating healthier, and quick flash boiling stuff sounds damn good.

[Of course, I'm probably going to just end up making hamburger helper, but still...]

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@repomech that red stuff looks like butt rape. Like, my anus is bleeding real blood just looking at the picture. It's all irony and stuff. Not ironically, it feels like blue hot iron in my butt hole.

I hope you're okay.

The ramen was good!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Austin food report: it's still amazing.

Ramen Tatsu-Ya is on top of their game. I went there twice in the past week, that's how good it is.

Terry Black's is another Barbeque place from the Black's family, once again splitting off the main "Black's" franchise after a family dispute. The brisket was better than at Lockhart's Black's, but the giant rib wasn't as good as that other one, while also being more expensive, if I'm not mistaken. Terry Black's was expensive in general because I was dumb and ordered stuff I shouldn't have. But if I'd gone only for brisket, it'd have come out to just about $7 for half a pound, which is enough for an almost-filling world-class meal. A whole pound of brisket would be a little abusive to your body, but you can always just take some of it to reheat, and it's almost as good.

Some sushi place called Takara is still great, but expensive. I would choose Ramen Tatsu-Ya over it every single time for value and taste, unless I got tired of Ramen and wanted some delicious fresh salmon sushi and was willing to spend a bit more (even on happy hour).

Torchy's Tacos is still really good, and still just a tad expensive.

Notably, there was a sandwich place that's kind of new called Noble Sandwiches, if I recall, and the "swine burger" I had there was great. They specialize in pork sandwiches and burgers.

Those were the highlights.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Don't say I never gave you anything Food thread. This one from the depression is different than the one I put in the CT. Enjoy and check out the other videos there excellent (and food cooking on the cheap cheap)

Shoulder

They say that sugar is eight times more addicting than cocaine. Well, I have found something that is even more addicting than sugar. I give you:

Popcorn.

Since I can't exactly make my own popcorn while staying at hotel, I decided to just buy some pre-made popcorn...and oh man is this shit good. No butter, only sunflower oil and sea salt. It is so addicting I'll eat half a bag easily in one sitting.

But seriously, if you want some pre-made popcorn, get this stuff. It is so choice! :mdrool:

EvilTw1n

:eek:

Though the Daily Mail reports a McDonald's U.K. representative refuted the claim that you can order secret menu items, the manager suggested that even if some employees don't know the names of these secret items, you can order them separately and hack your own lunch.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the $2 McGangBang (pictured above) is a McChicken sandwich placed inside a McDouble. The Land, Air, and Sea burger (pictured below) is slightly more complicated: It is a Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, and McChicken sandwich all stacked. That monster goes for $8.49.

http://www.delish.com/food/a43197/mcdonalds-ama/

I repeat.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Though the Daily Mail reports a McDonald's U.K. representative refuted the claim that you can order secret menu items, the manager suggested that even if some employees don't know the names of these secret items, you can order them separately and hack your own lunch.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the $2 McGangBang (pictured above) is a McChicken sandwich placed inside a McDouble. The Land, Air, and Sea burger (pictured below) is slightly more complicated: It is a Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, and McChicken sandwich all stacked. That monster goes for $8.49.

I repeat.

WTF!?!

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

I repeat.

Heart attack, here I come

EvilTw1n

TNE, because I care about you, and I care about edifying you with practical, real-world knowledge that you'll need to survive the struggle that is everyday life, I just took it upon myself to order a McDouble and a McChicken for lunch. Yes, for you, I ate a McGangbang.

And yes, it feels like someone ran a train on my stomach.

Seriously, that was...something. Y'know how McDonald's food tends to just aim for one flavor? They can't possibly provide food that provides complex flavors, so they just hit a fundamental flavor and go with it. Well, the McGangbang has no discernible flavor. If you really, really, really focus you can go "ok, there's the McChicken and mayo, and there's something resembling beef," but even then, it's only faint. For the most part, you're taking a mouthful of texture that tastes like...something? I don't know.

All I know is I feel like I just had a reverse baptism.

...and oddly, I could see myself ordering it again. Damned if I know why.

Shoulder

It's only been a few weeks, but I sure missed having my homemade Turkey burgers with Basil and Garlic. Good thing I made leftovers for the week while I stay in the hotel. So good...

These are not the actual burgers I made, but they do look rather similar:

Oh, and I put a slice of either Havarti or Gouda cheese on it. Perfect way to compliment it.

Shoulder

So I stumbled upon some cheese curds at the grocery store. Usually, I just get regular cheddar cheese curds, and call it a day, but I spotted a bag of cheddar cheese curds with dill and garlic. Have to say, this is not bad. Not bad at all. Maybe I should start adding in garlic and dill to my cheese curds if I can't find these again.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
It's only been a few weeks, but I sure missed having my homemade Turkey burgers with Basil and Garlic. Good thing I made leftovers for the week while I stay in the hotel. So good...

These are not the actual burgers I made, but they do look rather similar:

Oh, and I put a slice of either Havarti or Gouda cheese on it. Perfect way to compliment it.
I make turkey burgers by mixing the ground turkey with lipton onion soup mix... then I mustard fry them (cook each side 4 times, twice direct, and twice with some mustard between the patty and the pan)

Koenig

The Architect
I am attempting to mix a bowl of chicken broth with milk and another bowl of rice and chicken meat. This is either going to be delicious or disastrous.

AutisAwsome

AKA FloppyPony. I am on twitter and facebook to :3

I repeat.

WOW they look delicious! I would eat them but I actually can't eat beef burgers lol. I eat chicken burgers though. Anyone like those popcorny chicken burgers?

Shoulder

WOW what do those taste like o_O
Like any other corn chip out there pretty much. In theory, blue corn chips are better for you, but a lot of what might be considered better can be lost in the frying process of making the chips. The aste overall is ever so slightly different. Almost has a more fuller taste if that makes any sense. I don't know, really. I bought them one day, liked tham, and have continued to buy them ever since.

Blue corn chips are not hard to come by.

AutisAwsome

Like any other corn chip out there pretty much. In theory, blue corn chips are better for you, but a lot of what might be considered better can be lost in the frying process of making the chips. The aste overall is ever so slightly different. Almost has a more fuller taste if that makes any sense. I don't know, really. I bought them one day, liked tham, and have continued to buy them ever since.

Blue corn chips are not hard to come by.
I have never actually seen them before and I go to the shops a lot. Maybe they aren't so widely available in my country. Interesting nonetheless. Reminds me of vegetable crisps. We have those around here but I don't like how they taste. you get turnip and parsnip and beetroot dried in a crisp packet. It tastes rather odd. Like well... vegetables except half the flavour sucked out and then replaced with err something. It just doesn't seem right to me but I know people who like them.

AutisAwsome

never had a chance to try cheez-its but I wish I could. We don't have those where I am unless in a American product store and they are rare and far between. Also never seen those caramel crisps before but they look delicious. I had some sweet and salty popcorn before and I would imagine it tastes kinda like that. I never thought salt and suger could go together until I tried this delicious wonder.

Can't exactly remember the brand but I believe it was this one

EvilTw1n

@juegosmajicos

“There’s a ratio here,” says Carmichael. “To every one gram of coffee, you put 17 grams of water. This requires a scale. If you have a scale, you just doubled the value of your coffee–so if you buy your coffee for $10 a pound, it’s now worth $20. I can go to your house with my scale and blow your mind with just your coffee, just by doing that, and I haven’t done anything magical. It’s the basics.”

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-find-coffee-beans-youll-love-134256641.html

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@juegosmajicos

“There’s a ratio here,” says Carmichael. “To every one gram of coffee, you put 17 grams of water. This requires a scale. If you have a scale, you just doubled the value of your coffee–so if you buy your coffee for $10 a pound, it’s now worth $20. I can go to your house with my scale and blow your mind with just your coffee, just by doing that, and I haven’t done anything magical. It’s the basics.”

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-find-coffee-beans-youll-love-134256641.html
1:17 is insane for coffee imo. I've tried to had it that way many times, but it's too much for me to be honest. It seems like the correct ratio for an espresso, but I would only do it as a latte, which would mean adding as much milk as there was water, effectively making the coffee ratio 1:34.

theMightyME

I found something more addicting. So addicting, I just now ate an entire bag by myself. I'm so ashamed of myself right now...

Lays is having a competition right now.. and that is one of the flavors that could be swapped out... the one that it is up against is fucking amazing btw

That olive oil & herbs chip flavor might just be my favorite ever... soooooo good

Shoulder

Lays is having a competition right now.. and that is one of the flavors that could be swapped out... the one that it is up against is fucking amazing btw

That olive oil & herbs chip flavor might just be my favorite ever... soooooo good
Another one of their kettle cooked chips I've been having is their aged cheddar and pepper, and that too is very delicious. I love their kettle cooked line of chips. That olive oil and herb one sounds very tasty, so if I see it at the grocery store this weekend, I'll be sure to pick some up.

I love Beetroot crisps. They're the best. I'm actually studying to be a dietitian and you'd be surprised that potatoes are generally pretty good for you. The bigger issue with crisps is the oil (saturated fat like palm oil) used to fry the potatoes and the amount of salt and MSG added in the flavouring.

EvilTw1n

I haven't eaten McDonald's or Taco Bell in like two weeks. I'm not eating great stuff otherwise (like microwave dinners and ish), but still, I feel great. Makes me wonder just what the hell they put in that ish.

theMightyME

I haven't eaten McDonald's or Taco Bell in like two weeks. I'm not eating great stuff otherwise (like microwave dinners and ish), but still, I feel great. Makes me wonder just what the hell they put in that ish.
everything at McDonald's is made entirely out of Styrofoam

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@EvilTw1n and @killer7

I just wrote in the CT the day before yesterday about eating McDs for the first time this year. And it put me dead to sleep. Are they using NyQuil as an ingredient these days?

I have felt better than ever not eating fast food. So I'm totally with ET on that aswell.