The Food thread.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
OK. I don't know why I didn't think of this food hack earlier.

Leftover roast with au juice, plus ciabata bread, plus white cheddar Cheez-Its on the sandwich.

EvilTw1n

So I was inspired by @juegosmajicos to do something with all of these damn Udon noodles in my apartment.

Here's what you do. Find a pack of cheap beef Udon (they run about $1.00, give or take; mine are Myojo), toss them into a boiling pot with 1.5 cups of water. Add in some Nando's Peri-Peri sauce (medium heat, just discovered today) with the soup base about 2 minutes in. Cook another minute. Pour into a bowl, and add some thin sliced roast beef (Hillshire Farm, whatever you find in the lunch meat area, all it matters is to add a little meat). Profit.

I mean, I overcooked the noodles, and this is still great. Not as good as whatever you're getting at a great little restaurant (the soup base for 5-minute eats is never going to have that sort of amazing depth), but better than doing nothing to the Ramen you have. I've had worse soups at plenty of places.

But only eat this once a week. Because the Udon, or Ramen, or whatever noodles you have, are already pretty much all of the salt you should eat on a given day. And a hit of Peri-Peri, depending on your generosity, is gonna get you another 1/5 of your daily serving. And then the lunch meat on top of all of that is pretty much guaranteed to get you pre-hypertension for a few hours. But it's good, and you're getting more salt than this with whatever you're eating at Olive Garden.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Bumping because we need to talk about hot sauce.

Frank's Rajili sauce needs to be in your fridge.
https://www.franksredhot.com/products/rajili™-sweet-ginger-sauce/

Additionally, after years, I've come back around to regular 'ol Frank's Red Hot. I used to think it was hot, but now...it's, y'know, not. I guess it's like drinking enough hoppy beer - eventually you acclimate to bitterness. I've gotten more acclimated to hot sauce, so Frank's is now pretty much flavor only. And it's a good flavor.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Bumping because we need to talk about hot sauce.

Frank's Rajili sauce needs to be in your fridge.
https://www.franksredhot.com/products/rajili™-sweet-ginger-sauce/

And after years, I've come back around to regular 'ol Frank's Red Hot. I used to think it was hot, but now...it's, y'know, not. I guess it's like drinking enough hoppy beer - eventually you acclimate to bitterness. I've gotten more acclimated to hot sauce, so Frank's is now pretty much flavor only. And it's a good flavor.
If we're gonna do this were
Gonna do it in terms us men can understand. When we talk about the heat we will rate it in mild / sweating / nose running / face numb kinda scared

This is something we can all understand.

For a "hot sause" everyday use I'm a fan of Louisana. It's just a mild but it's got a real nice flavor.

I'll try yours ET

http://louisiana-brand.com

EvilTw1n

If we're gonna do this were
Gonna do it in terms us men can understand. When we talk about the heat we will rate it in mild / sweating / nose running / face numb kinda scared

This is something we can all understand.

For a "hot sause" everyday use I'm a fan of Louisana. It's just a mild but it's got a real nice flavor.

I'll try yours ET
I should have differentiated more up there. The Rajili sauce isn't terribly hot, either. It's more around Sriracha-level, but no garlic, and sweeter. It's mild. (And needs to be put in a fridge after opening, fwiw.)

As is regular 'ol Frank's Red Hot, I think. Maybe if you douse something with it you could make your nose run, but a couple of shakes of the normal Frank's on a breakfast burrito is a little kick of awesome flavor.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I should have differentiated more up there. The Rajili sauce isn't terribly hot, either. It's more around Sriracha-level, but no garlic, and sweeter. It's mild. (And needs to be put in a fridge after opening, fwiw.)

As is regular 'ol Frank's Red Hot, I think. Maybe if you douse something with it you could make your nose run, but a couple of shakes of the normal Frank's on a breakfast burrito is a little kick of awesome flavor.
I'll defiantly need to get some of this. I've had Frank's buffalo sause, and while it Wasent bad I didn't rush out to get another bottle.

I'll pick up this hot sause. I've gotten to love things like Tabasco on my eggs.

Ohhhhhh and green habanero Tabasco will make your nose run slightly. It's a really different tasting hot sause.

EvilTw1n

I'll defiantly need to get some of this. I've had Frank's buffalo sause, and while it Wasent bad I didn't rush out to get another bottle.

I'll pick up this hot sause. I've gotten to love things like Tabasco on my eggs.

Ohhhhhh and green habanero Tabasco will make your nose run slightly. It's a really different tasting hot sause.
See, I'm getting in trouble with talking about two varieties of Frank's, lol. On a breakfast burrito with eggs, I'd be using regular Frank's. More vinegar and salt and pepper. And the regular stuff is hotter than their Buffalo sauce, fwiw. I have no idea why they even made a Buffalo sauce, 'cause regular Frank's is what was in hot wings to begin with.

The Rajili sauce (also from Frank's) is sweeter, so you gotta be careful on what you put it on. I've been a big fan of putting it on pizza. I'm thinking that I'll try it with some udon noodles soon, though.

Regular Tabasco sauce is awesome. I've got their chipotle and green pepper sauce right now, but I need to re-up cause they're both past their shelf life. I'll definitely have to pick up their habanero sauce soon.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Oh man, El Yucateco is nose-running for sure, borderline numb-face-scared if you put just a little too much of it on your food. I don't enjoy stuff at that level, I prefer my hot sauces to be nose-running when you put a lot of it in food, at most.

The stuff I try to keep around is Louisiana for breaded fried stuff, like fish or chicken; Tabasco Green Pepper or Chipotle for burgers; Frank's Red Hot or something similar for pizza. Oh, but I almost forgot to recommend this sauce, it's called Sontava, and it goes really well with a lot of things. It's trick is that it has carrots. Only thing I'd recommend is to get the XX hot version of it, which is actually reasonable as far as Habanero sauces go, and not the XXX hot one, which is just straight up mean.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
This is not a sauce, but I recently discovered this at the Grocery store one day because I forgot to bring my trusty Nature Season's with me.

Got some spice to it, and an overall good additive to baked potatoes, cottage cheese, burgers, etc.

BobSilencieux

So I finally made some food that I think you guys over there might appreciate - Mexican! Quesadillas! Or, as my girlfriend pronounced them the first time she read the word - Qweskillarders!

Vegetarian, of course, because she is one. But still 10/10 IGN Would Eat Again.

IMG-20160916-WA0002.jpg

EvilTw1n

Meant to post this earlier. My new job site gets food trucks to stop by like twice a month.

20160930_115330_LLS.jpeg

Some of the best crepes I've ever had, from Holy Crepes. That's the turkey/bacon/Swiss one I got, but the best one was the ham and cheese that I ate too quickly to bother getting a picture of. Ham and Gruyère, to be precise. The guy on the food truck was listing off the cheeses on the truck and when I picked it, he gave me the look of "yeah, you know what you're doing."

Seriously. It was damn near a religious experience. Like licking the face of God.

EvilTw1n

Well.

This happened.

so dark the folly of man.jpg

I put high-octane garbage into my body so that you don't have to. Because I'm the type of person who sees a shell made of fried chicken and thinks:

Humanity's Greatest Inventions
3) Pyramids
2) Internet
1) Chalupa made of goddam chicken

For those of you who actually respect your bodies and have no idea that this thing even exists, lemme tell you that inside that chicken is iceberg lettuce (no taste, only texture), some form of something that might have once been cheese (no taste, only texture), and some sort of spicy guac-mayo. It's put on a tiny cardboard tray, because that's the only way to hold the shape. Take it out, and the thing falls apart like a marriage based on a lack of options.

It looks horrendous. Like a two-day old piece of batter-dipped Long John Silver "fish" that got burned in a house fire.

So, of course, I couldn't wait to try it.

And...it's...OK. I'm not gonna say "good," but on the scale of disgusting fast food, this is actually not bad. It's less a chalupa minus masa dough and more of a chicken sandwich without a bun.

Because it's Taco Bell, my stomach felt God's wrath reigning down upon me before God's wrath rained out of me in explosive fashion, but I kinda want another one.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well.

This happened.

View attachment 3322

I put high-octane garbage into my body so that you don't have to. Because I'm the type of person who sees a shell made of fried chicken and thinks:

Humanity's Greatest Inventions
3) Pyramids
2) Internet
1) Chalupa made of goddam chicken

For those of you who actually respect your bodies and have no idea that this thing even exists, lemme tell you that inside that chicken is iceberg lettuce (no taste, only texture), some form of something that might have once been cheese (no taste, only texture), and some sort of spicy guac-mayo. It's put on a tiny cardboard tray, because that's the only way to hold the shape. Take it out, and the thing falls apart like a marriage based on a lack of options.

It looks horrendous. Like a two-day old piece of batter-dipped Long John Silver "fish" that got burned in a house fire.

So, of course, I couldn't wait to try it.

And...it's...OK. I'm not gonna say "good," but on the scale of disgusting fast food, this is actually not bad. It's less a chalupa minus masa dough and more of a chicken sandwich without a bun.

Because it's Taco Bell, my stomach felt God's wrath reigning down upon me before God's wrath rained out of me in explosive fashion, but I kinda want another one.
I'm just glad your still among the living.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I've decided that I have found something that is more addicting than crack, caffeine, Oreos, Doritos, you name it. THIS is by far more addicting, and as a consequence, very dangerous. It is none other than...chocolate covered almonds; from Costco nonetheless.

I swear, I have been digging my hands into these things for days now, and despite all that, I've only eaten about 1/4 in a couple days. But man, these things are so damn good, and addicting, I was not prepared for what horror I had unleashed. :mshock:

Be careful out there, fellas. There's a lot of dangerous things in life, and these have just shot up towards the top. Stay safe, my friends! :mnerv:

Socar

My favorite food....ghee that's hard since I pretty much love a lot of food that's both a mix between junk and healthy.

So the list of my favorite junk.

1. Top Raman Instant Noodles Curry: love the flavor and the taste better than Maggi

2. Pizza: Anything that's veggie is on my list

3. Pani Puri for the potato and its spicy water

4. Corn Cheese Grilled Sandwhich for its tasty corn

5. Gobi Manchurian because its the crunchiest.

List of healthy:

1. Spaghetti cause anything with noodles is my favorite

2. Green Brinjal cooked

3. Ladies finger aka okra cooked

4. Spinach cooked

5. Poly plums cooked

6. Uttapum

7. Rava Dosa

For those of you wondering what Uttapum and Rava Dosa are..think of it as Pizza only not made out of bread and cheese but more on the flour grinded poured with water to make it thick.

What's everyone's experience with vegetarian/vegan cuisine?
I'm thinking about taking this fasting and no-meat during the Lenten season seriously this year.

NYC is like a food mecca and I really havent been taking advantage of that. I'm thinking about trying Indian food, since I hear that they make a lot of vegetarian dishes and that those are all really good. There's a lot of hipster specialty restaurants here too, like an all peanut-butter place and an all mac n' cheese place.
Any suggestions on where to start in this area?

Socar

I'm thinking about taking this fasting and no-meat during the Lenten season seriously this year.

NYC is like a food mecca and I really havent been taking advantage of that. I'm thinking about trying Indian food, since I hear that they make a lot of vegetarian dishes and that those are all really good. There's a lot of hipster specialty restaurants here too, like an all peanut-butter place and an all mac n' cheese place.
As a vegetarian myself, Its fine for what it is. You do get a lot of vegetarian food and the ratio of vegetarian people are pretty good.

The only downside is that if your going to countries where vegetarian food is out of the question, you have to pack food for yourself and manage with that.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic

There's plenty of great food out there that doesn't have meat. That said, food specifically designated as vegetarian tends more towards miss than hit in my experience. Go figure.

If you have any Southern Indian restaurants near you, live off this for the next while:

Masala Dosa.

Socar

Dosa never seems to interest me much besides the need of consumption...I'm just not a big fan of it.

I'm very curious of how instant noodles is something that Asians constantly have and have no health issues whatnot but having something like Maggi is a problem.

BobSilencieux

@FriedShoes Most of the girls I've ever dated have been vegetarian or vegan. Not sure why. But I've coped very well with taking them out for dinner and making them great food myself, even the vegan. I still love a good bit of venison when we go out, but barely keep any meat in the house any more. I currently have about 50 excellent vegetarian recipes on hand, including some of the tastiest Mexican food I've ever had.

Maybe try a nice Paella de verduras de temporada, or a risotto with butternut squash, sundried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. Or anything with some spicy halloumi. Or Sri Lankan curry with coconut milk, green beans and baby corn... I could go on...

Last edited:

BobSilencieux

Well, for example tonight we're having the old faithful veggie stir fry which is just basically whatever veg you like (I tend to use leek, red pepper, carrot, brocolli, chestnut mushroom, mangetout, and baby corn for a variety of textures and colours) stir fried in a big wok on high-ish heat for 3 minutes, before adding the all-important sauce which consists of
  • 75-ish ml water
  • small amount of vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon cornflour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chilli oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Once you add the sauce, turn the heat down and it only takes another couple of minutes, while you fry some fresh egg noodles in a separate pan. Super quick, super super easy, and 100% veggie-friendly super-tasty stir fry!

I also regularly do the most amazing quesadillas, a so-good-it-should-be-illegal Mexican black bean and buckwheat bake, pan fried gnocchi pomodoro, udon noodle broth, freekeh pilaf with mango halloumi, pomegranate tabbouleh with harissa halloumi, Mexican tomato jumble with citrus halloumi, roasted butternut squash with halloumi... yeah, a lot of good halloumi dishes!

That all sounds real nice. Do you ship? :p
What I'm gonna need to look a bit deeper into and research is protein intake and not overcarb myself immediately.

BobSilencieux

What I'm gonna need to look a bit deeper into and research is protein intake and not overcarb myself immediately.
You should start with the black bean and buckwheat bake. Black beans, like all legumes, have a fantastic combination of fiber AND protein, while buckwheat is slow-burning with a good amount of magnesium. And holy shit does it taste good.

Socar

This is coming from Dominos....

Pretty fitting considering that Link wears uniform that matches that of the employees of Dominos Pizza, the pizzas are made based on food found on the wild and you can cook anywhere as well.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Not a vegetarian, but also not a carnivore. My favourite veggie-only dish is a basil, eggplant, soy bean stirfry. Put some Thai chilis in there and burn your face off for maximum enjoyment.

Socar

Today and yesterday, I learnt how to make rice, rasam and how to chop basic vegetables like beans, tomatoes etc.

Really doesn't seem like a problem...takes half an hour so I guess Mighty here might want to consider making just rice and veggies if needing quick healthy food on the go...

Socar

To those interested in trying out indian veggie food, I think as an indian myself, I should inform you all about a few things.

There are two types of food. South Indian and North Indian.

South indian is where you will get the food that India is known for. These are your Dosas, Idlis, Thalis( Rice, Rasam and all that) etc.

North Indian is where food is made from Northern parts of India and are different than that of South Indian. These include Rotis, Naans, food based on Raja's and my personal favorites Palak Paneer.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
To those interested in trying out indian veggie food, I think as an indian myself, I should inform you all about a few things.

There are two types of food. South Indian and North Indian.

South indian is where you will get the food that India is known for. These are your Dosas, Idlis, Thalis( Rice, Rasam and all that) etc.

North Indian is where food is made from Northern parts of India and are different than that of South Indian. These include Rotis, Naans, food based on Raja's and my personal favorites Palak Paneer.

It's interesting because I have never heard of any of the South Indian dishes you mentioned, but all of the North Indian ones.

Socar

My brother mentioned to me a cheese that smells horrible which I think is called the limburger cheese....so what's the big deal of it? is it good?