The Great CT - Community Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
and now for no reason at all... basic music theory

so for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about basic music theory, so I'm going to tech it to all of you guys lol

so first off, you guys know what notes are, and have heard the terms flat and sharp, but did you know that a flat note is the same exact note as the previous full notes sharp? meaning a D# (D sharp) and an Eb (e flat) are the same note. the note that falls between a D and an E.... when you write sheet music, the #/b notes don't even get their own space, just the corresponding symbol next to the existing WHOLE note.

there are exactly 12 notes in music, 7 of which are whole notes, notes beyond those original 12 are different octaves of the original 12...

not all whole notes has a #/b between them, and this is HUGELY important to scale theory

remember again these are the WHOLE notes

A B C D E F G

there is no H, etc.. if you go past G you go to a different octave of A.... the enxt octave is always 12 notes past the original... which is why the 12th fret on a guitar is designated with 2 dots instead of 1, or sometimes with a special design... the 12th fret is the next octave of that string... the 6th string of a guitar is an e string, if you play the string open it produces an E.... if you hold down the 12th fret and play that string it produces the next octave.. also an E, but a higher pitched E

but if there are 7 whole notes, and the #/b falls betweene ach whole note, than why aren't their 14 total notes?

because soem whole notes don't have sharps, and some do not have flats.... after B you go right to C, so there is no B# or Cb.... after E you go right to F, so there is no E# or Fb

so here is every note

A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

and then it returns to A

if that patern looks a little familiar to you, it is because you are thinking of piano keys... on a piano, the white keys are all whole notes, and the black keys are flats/sharps... no you know why there isn't a black key between every white key... and as such, using this pattern you can identify the notes on a keyboard.

now, remember when I said that the notes without flats and sharps are hugely important to scales? here is why

there are 7 primary scales (hmm and there are 7 whole notes... strange)

each scale is based on the order of whole notes starting and ending on the key note (the note the scale is based on)

here are the 7 primary scales, which are called modes

Ionian (also known as Major) which is based on C
Dorian which is based on D
Phrygian which is based on E
Lydian which is based on F
Mixolydian which is based on G
Aeolian (also known as Minor) which is based on A
Locrian which is based on B

so a C Ionian, or C Major as it is more commonly known is simply C D E F G A B C... but a D Major wont be all whole notes, it will be based on the note pattern starting with C

so here is a major pattern

the C represents the root note, a whole step is 2 spaces, a half step is one... there is a whole step between C and D, a whole step between D and E, a half step between E and F, a whole step between F and G, a whole step between G and A, a whole step between A and B, and a half step back to the root C from B

so here is how we label the notes in minor using r for root (the first note), w for whole step, and h for half step
RWWHWWWH

so lets apply that to E... essentially making an E Major scale

1. R
2. W
3. W
4. H
5. W
6. W
7. W
8. H (the next octave of R)

1. R is E
2. then we make a whole step to (2 notes) F#/Gb (remember that there is no sharp/flat between E and F)
3. another whole step to G#/Ab
4. a half step to A
5. a whole step to B
6. a whole step to C#/Db (remember that there is no sharp/flat between B and C)
7. a whole step to D#/Eb
8. a half step to E, the next octave of the root

that is it... an E Major scale is
E, F#/Gb, G#/Ab, A, B, C#/Db, D#/Eb, E

so now you can figure out all 12 scales of all 7 modes... that is 84 scales at your fingertips... just from knowing which notes do not have a sharp/flat between them

and now I pass it to Mike to teach you how you use scales to create chords and arpeggios, and then the pentatonic scale

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
and WHAT the FUCK is up with zombies? I will never figure that shit out lol
Me and Brat tend to stay on the Team Deatmatch side of things, but we have the season pass, and really would like to have another real person to figure out the zombie maps with....

It's a lot more fun when you can communicate with other people to help figure out what the next goal is....

Truth be told, I'll probably look at a strategy guide or something this time before we play to figure out the path, simply because, it's not like it was in BlackOps II for us when we actually learned what to do by playing it with others an experiementing....

We get frustrated as hell with it because of that, which is too bad honestly, because it's a really badass game mode that we hardly ever touch for those reasons....

Sounds like we gonna have to try and conquer this shit....

Oh and we want to try the dead ops game mode too.... Was one of our favorite things about the last game....

Smash TV COD style FTW....

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Me and Brat tend to stay on the Team Deatmatch side of things, but we have the season pass, and really would like to have another real person to figure out the zombie maps with....

It's a lot more fun when you can communicate with other people to help figure out what the next goal is....

Truth be told, I'll probably look at a strategy guide or something this time before we play to figure out the path, simply because, it's not like it was in BlackOps II for us when we actually learned what to do by playing it with others an experiementing....

We get frustrated as hell with it because of that, which is too bad honestly, because it's a really badass game mode that we hardly ever touch for those reasons....

Sounds like we gonna have to try and conquer this shit....

Oh and we want to try the dead ops game mode too.... Was one of our favorite things about the last game....

Smash TV COD style FTW....
I've gotten lucky through matchmaking and had zombie players who knew what they were doing. You need a guide. A fucking spirit guide. Because that mode is soul crushing.

We can do it lsb...

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
I've just been busy with the new job and also me and my gf broke up for good after a 5 year relationship. It was for the better and I feel so alive and free now.
So all that slowed down my posting. I took some time off all the boards and games in general to focus on work, exercising and catching up on tv and taking some more Scientology courses for fun.
But now I'm refreshed and playing a ton of games, dating again, and just having fun.
I'll be back to post here and there on TNE.
You guys are a good group of guys regardless of the shit that went down awhile back. It's all good. That's all in the past.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
How's everyone doing?
Long time no see
Just chillin personally. Hasent much been goin on all in all. I do have a new stonework thread to make since we finished our latest project.

Today and tomorrow are the first days I can remember when my cousion and I just "took the days off". And it couldn't have come during more beautiful weather.

But we're in between jobs so we aren't tied to anyone. So why not:mgrin:

How the fuck is Levi's still a thing.
Just chillin personally. Hasent much been goin on all in all. I do have a new stonework thread to make since we finished our latest project.

Today and tomorrow are the first days I can remember when my cousion and I just "took the days off". And it couldn't have come during more beautiful weather.

But we're in between jobs so we aren't tied to anyone. So why not:mgrin:
Want to give me some fucking good weather?

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Skyward sword went out of print pretty fast didn't it? I don't remember it being around for all that long in retail stores.

Reminds me of kirby return to dreamland I remember it not being around all that long. Loved that game, i'm very picky on kirby games but there's a specific type i like. nightmare in dreamland, kirby super star, kirby squeak squad , then finally return to dreamland. Every other one I played I didn't like. But I also haven't played it all.

@EvilTw1n

Hey, started Muramasa. I'm not so sure about this one. 2 hours in, the level design is dog shit and I can't follow the story. People are being name dropped left and right, no idea what's happening.

Well, the level isn't dog shit, it's just boring. Hold left or right to go through multiple same-y looking screens, fight a boss, then hold the opposite direction to leave the area.

Combat is pretty fun I will say, but it's the only aspect of the game I like.

I'll keep playing for now, but I'm not that invested at all.

Thanks again @mattavelle1 for sending it to me.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
@EvilTw1n

Hey, started Muramasa. I'm not so sure about this one. 2 hours in, the level design is dog shit and I can't follow the story. People are being name dropped left and right, no idea what's happening.

Well, the level isn't dog shit, it's just boring. Hold left or right to go through multiple same-y looking screens, fight a boss, then hold the opposite direction to leave the area.

Combat is pretty fun I will say, but it's the only aspect of the game I like.

I'll keep playing for now, but I'm not that invested at all.

Thanks again @mattavelle1 for sending it to me.
The localization isn't great. The improved translation was mentioned as a positive in most articles for Rebirth. It's more of a following the gist sort of thing (and it also helps if you're up on your Japanese folklore).

The level design is Circle of the Moon school - long corridors because reasons. But the art is certainly better. I think it melds into a pretty backdrops + simple-but-flashy combat + sword crafting formula. That's the rhythm - 15 minutes of pretty screens and slashing, make a new sword, 15 more minutes of pretty screens and slashing, boss fight, new sword/key, rinse and repeat. It's not a "Metroidvania," it's much more of an action game with RPG grinding. Upping the difficulty and grinding for powerful swords is where the depth is.

But I'm a sucker for the Vanillaware art, the folklore call outs, and the combat. If the art doesn't captivate you, it's not going to be nearly as memorable.

The localization isn't great. The improved translation was mentioned as a positive in most articles for Rebirth. It's more of a following the gist sort of thing (and it also helps if you're up on your Japanese folklore).

The level design is Circle of the Moon school - long corridors because reasons. But the art is certainly better. I think it melds into a pretty backdrops + simple-but-flashy combat + sword crafting formula. That's the rhythm - 15 minutes of pretty screens and slashing, make a new sword, 15 more minutes of pretty screens and slashing, boss fight, new sword/key, rinse and repeat. It's not a "Metroidvania," it's much more of an action game with RPG grinding. Upping the difficulty and grinding for powerful swords is where the depth is.

But I'm a sucker for the Vanillaware art, the folklore call outs, and the combat. If the art doesn't captivate you, it's not going to be nearly as memorable.
I love the art, but I think I mentioned before on another game I played recently, in that you could have the most beautiful graphics and art ever but if the game is boring then I don't care.

Like I said, I do enjoy the combat, but that's it. I'm not asking for a full blown Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid, but anything is better than 90% straight corridors.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I love the art, but I think I mentioned before on another game I played recently, in that you could have the most beautiful graphics and art ever but if the game is boring then I don't care.

Like I said, I do enjoy the combat, but that's it. I'm not asking for a full blown Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid, but anything is better than 90% straight corridors.
That's all you're gonna get, I'm afraid. It's all about the skirmishes, the sword tree, and bosses (that's why each story is beatable in well under 10 hours; it's an action-brawler at heart). You'll get some forks in the road, and some more vertical levels, but it's mostly like an updated NES beat 'em up. That doesn't sound like your jam, and that's cool. The game is niche, even for Vanillaware.

That's all you're gonna get, I'm afraid. It's all about the skirmishes, the sword tree, and bosses (that's why each story is beatable in well under 10 hours; it's an action-brawler at heart). You'll get some forks in the road, and some more vertical levels, but it's mostly like an updated NES beat 'em up. That doesn't sound like your jam, and that's cool. The game is niche, even for Vanillaware.
Damn.

Perhaps I'll only do one character now and save the other for some rainy day.

I want to like it, but it just ain't grabbing me. Same deal with Freedom Planet I got in the Humble Bundle, I should like it a lot more than I do, but FP also ain't grabbing me.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS

look what i just got

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS

look what i just got

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

look what i just got

That's my personal favorite brand of TV. Both my LGs have been boss and I'll continue to stick with them. Nice buy Major

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
That's my personal favorite brand of TV. Both my LGs have been boss and I'll continue to stick with them. Nice buy Major
yeah i had a 46" LG before this one but it blew up on me the other day after only 3 years of abuse. hopefully this one holds up better. 55" is gonna be way too big for my bedroom, but you know what?

BRO HARD OR BRO HOME

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
yeah i had a 46" LG before this one but it blew up on me the other day after only 3 years of abuse. hopefully this one holds up better. 55" is gonna be way too big for my bedroom, but you know what?

BRO HARD OR BRO HOME
My first was a 50' LG Plasma I've had for 7 years and it's my man cave videogame TV. So I bought it's upgrade about 4-5 years back and our living room TV is an LG Plasma and it's been great.

A local store (and I don't believe in 4K) but it had an LG4K 60' on sale for 800 bucks the other day. I was super tempted but I'll wait. I just don't need it right now.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
My first was a 50' LG Plasma I've had for 7 years and it's my man cave videogame TV. So I bought it's upgrade about 4-5 years back and our living room TV is an LG Plasma and it's been great.

A local store (and I don't believe in 4K) but it had an LG4K 60' on sale for 800 bucks the other day. I was super tempted but I'll wait. I just don't need it right now.
4K is a rip off bro don't do it!