The Great CT - Community Thread

Roy Kappa

Kirbyfan391 from IGN
Thanks matt!

I came here mainly(but not only) to post my, um, colorful(but civilized!) thoughts on TNEs' Fed Force review, but livefyre really sucks tbh. I clicked the "Post comment as...." thing but it's still loading. Is this normal?

Thanks matt!

I came here mainly(but not only) to post my, um, colorful(but civilized!) thoughts on TNEs' Fed Force review, but livefyre really sucks tbh. I clicked the "Post comment as...." thing but it's still loading. Is this normal?
just posted, works fine for me. Maybe your ad or pop-up blocker is doing something.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
even when the wii u has the multiplats, they don't sell on it... wii had call of duty, wii u had 2 of them as well if I remember correctly... wii u also had batman, mass effect, etc... none of them sold... but FAR more importantly... NOBODY BUYS Nintendo systems for 3rd party games... that battle is over... even if the nx had all of those games people who own an nx would likely also own a different system, and would buy the games on that system instead... because the ps4 and xbone have been out for a few years now, and the online communities are already built... having parity wont sell, it is what differentiates that sells.

about the whole weak system thing... there are a few points...

1. a hybrid at beyond wii u spec is NOT weak, remember that a hybrid has to be fully portable, and portable power is less than stationary power.. it is to nintendo's advantage that there is no REAL competition there... sony is done with handhelds, ms wont even try, and smartphone games are casual, and even when they are not they need to scale to all manner of devices, so they never really push the envelope, and that isn't even getting into the limitations of power that are made when the device is not a dedicated gaming device.

2. Nintendo cannot do business in the way sony and MS do... sony and ms will sell consoles at a huge loss because they know they can offset the loss with other departments... nintendo has no other departments to leverage... in addition to that, Nintendo is a fiscally conservative company, and the shareholders would loose their shit if nintendo dumped billions on hardware losses... it doesn't make sense for their corporate culture

3. more power is MORE EXPENSIVE... not only for the company but for the gamer.... nintendo doesn't need more power, so why should they spend for it, and why should I, as a nintendo gamer, be forced to pay a much higher pricetag for a system so that it can have the power that it doesn't need for its own games, but also allows it in on the multiplat train... which I do not need because I, like nearly all current gamers own multiple systems (in my case a pc and a nintendo system) it is like spending extra on a car for it to have a sweet stereo option when I am plannign on replacing the stereo with something else anyways... that is just a waste of money... and for what? to check a box?

so AGAIN...

if the rumors are correct than the nx will be the msot powerful handheld out, and at the same time a console that is perfectly adequate to run every game on the market (outside of high end VR) so long as the developer cares to port it... as the x1 can handle the most modern versions (putting it beyond ps4 and xbone in shader support btw) of direct x, and open gl, as well as the current builds of unreal engine and unity... the system could be made more powerful, but at a high premium, and it is unnecessary power.... likewise the system could be made console only, and then made more powerful as well, and for a somewhat reasonable price.... but they aren't going to match serpico and ps4 neo, so who gives a fuck.... and by not taking the hybrid route nintendo has to instead produce 2 systems, a handheld and a console, when it makes far more sense to make 1 that plays the games of all.

saying nintendo should play like their competition is like saying a 5'2" basketball player should try and play like shaq.... not only will he never measure up for that style, but he'll miss out on his own advantages by focusing on the wrong area

lets use you for an example... no way in hell you are going to be nintendo only... even if it was just as powerful as the competition... you know it, and I know it... it wouldn't happen... so why does the nx need to run call of duty, when you already have hardware that does? Why wouldn't you want to pay less for something that achieves the graphical prowess necessary to realize nintendo's cartoony vision. Or even pay the same amount, but have a system that does somethign the others cannot... be taken on the go as a fully capable handheld too.
Most Wii U multiplats were old games that had been out for months. That's why they didn't sell - the people most excited for those games already owned them. Nintendo was stupid banking on summer games for the holiday season.

If you want to say NX is adequate for a handheld, I'll give you that despite the fact that mobile will be taking over in that department. There's no way it's adequate for a proper home console. Probably going to be weaker than xb1.

Saying that Nintendo doesn't need the power for third party support is dumb for reasons we've discussed a trillion times. If NX is to be viewed as a handheld, it's because they've been beaten out of the console game through lack of third party support. You may feel their games are "fully realized" on weak spec, but I've played better and I disagree.

@FriedShoes I have fixed @Roy Kappa's account, now you should be able to get an avatar, signature, etc.

Are we going to have a specific Federation Forces thread? Makes sense to me since people are going to have things to say about it, or organize game sessions and so on. Anyone want to make it, or do I make it, or what's up?
I had a dream where I made another Metroid thread. I'll do it yo'

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Most Wii U multiplats were old games that had been out for months. That's why they didn't sell - the people most excited for those games already owned them. Nintendo was stupid banking on summer games for the holiday season.

If you want to say NX is adequate for a handheld, I'll give you that despite the fact that mobile will be taking over in that department. There's no way it's adequate for a proper home console. Probably going to be weaker than xb1.

Saying that Nintendo doesn't need the power for third party support is dumb for reasons we've discussed a trillion times. If NX is to be viewed as a handheld, it's because they've been beaten out of the console game through lack of third party support. You may feel their games are "fully realized" on weak spec, but I've played better and I disagree.
1. almost all of the multiplats on the ps4 and xbone can run at what would be equivalent to Wii U performance on PC
2. having enough power did nothing towards getting games like gta5, tomb raider, or bioshock infinite
3. There is no criticism about lack of detail on Nintendo's own games while there was for multiplats on the ps3 and 360, photorealism takes more power and dates poorly, cartoony graphics date well, and require far less power. Nintendo's own games are Cartoony.
4. mobile will NEVER take over handhelds for serious gaming, mobile is huge right now, and it has very clearly painted the direction of their games, and it is not long larger experiences, but rather simple quick experiences that you can quickly pass time with.
5. The NX will be viewed as a handheld because it is both a handheld and a console, it is BOTH, Nintendo wasn't beaten out of anything because Nintendo is a whole different category in the industry
6. I agree that nintendo will not have strong 3rd party support with nx, nothing near parity, but that has NOTHING to do with power, if you think any game on the ps4 and xbone couldn't be handled at wii u spec with only a slight loss of fidelity than you have fully drunk the hype kool-aid... when the wii was cleaning the clocks of the ps3 and xbox it was less a performance issues (though that was an effect AT THAT TIME) and more an architecture issue that kept the system from getting ports.... If the rumors are true, the NX features better shader support than the ps4 and xbone, and will have engine support as well. Scalability is the biggest development of this generation, not power, but the way an engine can scale for different power. It just isn't an issue... If a dev/pub ignores NX, it wont be because of power. The lone exception being VR which would still be possible, but far from ideal, because VR is dodgy if it doesn't output in at least 4k at at least 60fps. That is the entire reason thats erpico and the new ps4 will exist, for adequate VR support, but VR is still too pricey and limited, it wont be mainstream for at least another generation, probably longer.
7. You say that there is no way it is adaquete for a home console, saying it will PROBABLY be weaker than an xbone, which suggests that the xbone is inadequate for a home console, and yet the xbone is on all of the multiplats the ps4 and PC get.... and up until the later half of this year, most of those multiplats also came out on ps3 and 360.... but not wii u, despite the wii u being more powerful than both of those... POWER IS NOT THE ISSUE

I agree that NX wont have good 3rd party parity, but it isn't because of power.... I also argue that it doesn't even matter

the NX would have never been home to the CoD communities, nor would it have been the top pick to play GTA6 on... even if it was more powerful than the competition.... and, of course, asuming it had those games in the first place.... that just isn't nintendo's market and hasn't been since the snes died.

It is FOOLISH to chase the other companies and the multiplats that will never find a strong base there.

But that means the NX will suffer the same issues of the Wii U with droughts, right?

Not necessarily.... first off, as a single platform hybrid nitnendo's attentions will no longer be split between 2 devices meanign their throughput will double. Actually, it could MORE than double considering all of the unnecessary duplicates that could be knocked out... the NX wont need both Mario kart 9 and 10, it wont need 2 versions of the same smash bros, etc... and that frees up resources towards MORE game development. Then you have the 3rd party support that DOES work with Nintendo... namely Japanese handheld support.... Monster Hunter, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, etc.... Even then it wont be as crowded as the ps4 and xbone, but it doesn't need to be, it only needs to have healthy support, not the healiest, because Nintendo's bread and butter has always been and will always be their own games.....

sure the NX wont have as many games as the ps4, but nearly every game it has will be something not found on a ps4, xbone, or PC.... it will primarily be an exclusives box... and what and exclusive box needs is just enough to get by, not an equal amount to stand against....

This isn't sports, it is business, hype and dominance are meaningless.... only profits matter

making a high powered console will achieve neither for nintendo

they will still not have 3rd party parity, they will still be seen as secondary to the big western studios, it will give them 0 advantages while also making their hardware pricier for both nintendo and its fans.

The best route is to make a Nintendo exclusives box which is first pick for Nintendo fans, first pick for families, first pick for handhelds (only pick), and second or third pick for gamers with multiple systems.

If you own a ps4 and are considering ALSO getting an xbone, whether or not is plays multiplats should be irrelevant to you, it is only the games it has that your ps4 does not.... in comparison, virtually every game on the nx will be a game that the ps4 does not have

Nintendo's priority needs to be on making this thing affordable while unifying their lineups under a single device.

anything else is foolish

Roy Kappa

Kirbyfan391 from IGN
@Roy Kappa

Roy, I read your front page comment for the Fed Force, and that was completely on point. I read it to @mattavelle1 like a bed time story, and he was loving it, myself included.
Wow...I guess, glad to hear that! I barely proofread the whole thing when I was done with it, so I figured it might have been a bit incoherent/all over the place in the end. But hearing that it's bed-time-story tier to some is much better than I expected lol.

Socar

An experience that Nintendo is often able to provide. Being forced to play games sounds ridiculous, lol, how does that work?
I think Nintendo is more about the gameplay side of things. And believe me, the forum site I used to go were pestering me to try something different and when I did, they still weren't satisfied.

I just wonder if Federation Force can atleast sell half a million. I mean, the series itself doesn't seem to have a huge fanbase....right?

I think Nintendo is more about the gameplay side of things. And believe me, the forum site I used to go were pestering me to try something different and when I did, they still weren't satisfied.

I just wonder if Federation Force can atleast sell half a million. I mean, the series itself doesn't seem to have a huge fanbase....right?
doubtful.
But to a point you raised previously, I wouldnt attribute the sales failure of this game to consumers dropping their love of the Metroid franchise or to Nintendo dropping support for the franchise.

Roy Kappa

Kirbyfan391 from IGN
I think Nintendo's always seriously considered expanding Metroid beyond FF, since FF was a thing. With the way Tanabe was talking about Metroid on NX pre-Fed Force release, even though he didn't explicitly confirm it, it does seem like it's something they're keeping in the cards regardless of how Fed Force actually does.

Oh yeah, and Tanabe/Reggie and the same Nintendo that disabled ratings on the FF trailer are prob pretty aware of how people always hated Fed Force from the beginning simply for not being trooo Metroid more than anything, and if FF does terrible, it would be pretty dumb for them to mis-attribute it to the entire Metroid franchise in general not having any consumer interest anymore. FF is a side spin-off after all.

And finally,
The Baby Metroid in the end of FF as well as Sylux in the reflection means they've seriously thought about continuation of Metroid after FF

I mean, Sylux in the ending of Fed Forces' ending is pretty much a continuation of Sylux being teased as having a greater role in the end of Prime 3. It took 9 years, but they still somewhat continued what they teased.

Last edited:

Socar

not a spin-off, essentially a final push to gain a wider fanbase, kinda like Awakening in that sense, but it failed.
With NX, if it is an exclusives box and a steady stream of Nintendo games, I suspect that most franchises will resurface regardless of sales potential.
Zip lash is a spin off and it isn't based on the original first game.

I just want to point out that people not liking the game because of it having chibi artstyle is like not liking Sonic Boom because of Sonic having blue arms.....

Really people, how can a minor visual ruin the overall experience of the game. I played a lot of games that use retro pixels and while some games aren't that great looking, It didn't stop me from enjoying them in the end.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Zip lash is a spin off and it isn't based on the original first game.

I just want to point out that people not liking the game because of it having chibi artstyle is like not liking Sonic Boom because of Sonic having blue arms.....

Really people, how can a minor visual ruin the overall experience of the game. I played a lot of games that use retro pixels and while some games aren't that great looking, It didn't stop me from enjoying them in the end.
I understand your point, but I don't believe that people are looking negatively at Federation Force only because of its chibi artstyle. To me, the truth is that if it didn't have the Metroid name attached to it, I wouldn't have looked even twice at the game. It's always seemed to me like a slow shooter with clunky combat and controls, and a level design that has nothing to do with any Metroid game ever made before it. It's like if you took Borderlands, made it slower and clunkier, split the world into levels with simple puzzles, and made it look really freaking ugly. Then called it a Metroid game.

But of course that's my opinion without playing the game, and why I have absolutely zero interest in playing it. I've been around a while and I've seen enough games like it to know not to spend any time and energy on it unless people I trust get it and tell me that it's actually freaking incredible.

Roy Kappa

Kirbyfan391 from IGN

They're hardly equivalent. I don't agree with the Chibi criticisms but at least it affects the entire game, and dictates the character design of everything from the characters you play as, to the enemies. And even though it's an FPS game where you don't see your own character the point of the game is to play it with other people, so the Chibi thing is supposed to be in your face at all times. It's a major part of the game. So for people that don't like that I can understand being turned off of the whole game because of it...

Unlike Sonics' blue arms which is a minor detail that affects only one character.

Last edited:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
My mom used to think lol meant lots of love, just imagine that

"your daughters wedding was beautiful lol"

"sorry to hear about your divorce lol "

"I heard your father passed away lol"

"so, is it cancer? lol"

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I finally got around to posting on EG, albeit a modified version of a thread I made here. I would love to hear what you guys think of it if you don't mind. http://www.enthusiast.gg/2857/thislinknowworks

NOTE: I am still trying to figure out how to give it a proper image thumbnail and remove that painful Blue background.
Commented. Great thread and I'm only using the blue background and I'm calling it the "community's" background:mthumb:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So I stayed up until 4 last night playing pathfinder. I'm up again at 10.

Today is the most "be a lazy bastard" day I've had in awhile.
I'm gonna go buy FF today and join you in this lazy endeavor.

Shoulder is leaving today let me say this. It has been amazing meeting him in person and having him in my home. @Shoulder ive enjoyed every minute of it my friend:mhug:

Socar

They're hardly equivalent. I don't agree with the Chibi criticisms but at least it affects the entire game, and dictates the character design of everything from the characters you play as, to the enemies. And even though it's an FPS game where you don't see your own character the point of the game is to play it with other people, so the Chibi thing is supposed to be in your face at all times. It's a major part of the game. So for people that don't like that I can understand being turned off of the whole game because of it...

Unlike Sonics' blue arms which is a minor detail that affects only one character.
If you don't see much of your main character, how does it affect the game?

And no it doesn't. I mean, how can a short grunt ruin the entire experience of the game if you don't see him much?

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Can confirm, when COV ain't braining expect to get picked up and thrown down a pit because he thought you were ET instead. And then he does it again not two minutes later.

praisegrima